Laptop vs. Desktop decision

Hi guys I need some advice as to what to buy myself for Christmas

I can afford only one of these so help me out, i am mainly interested as to which of these will give the best FPS at maximum details.
    I can either buy a laptop - processor Intel® CoreTM i3-330M 2.13GHz, 3GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, nVidia GeForce GT420M 1GB
    Or i can buy this desktop - processor Intel® CoreTM i3 540 3.06GHz, 3GB DDR3, HDD 500 GB 32MB, NVIDIA GeForce GTS 450 1GB

Also as a side note i am currently using a desktop with 1700GHz, 512 RAM,Ati Radeon 8600 so it is a huge upgrade for me

Deleted
    Desktop > Laptop in performance compared to price, pretty much always.

15+ Year Old Account
    Neither of those are very good. I take it you want a prebuilt computer, or are you comfortable building your own? What's your budget?
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Yes , both of these are prebuilt computers. Also my budget is kind of low, around 600 euros.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by LAww_WWW View Post
    Yes , both of these are prebuilt computers. Also my budget is kind of low, around 600 euros.
    You can get much better prebuilt comps and even better if you build it yourself. I have no idea of where you live, but this is somewhat what you could get around 500 euro if you or someone else you know builds it

Thanks for the help Stringadelic,i'll use that list and try to talk to some local computer retailer and see what the prices will be. I live in Romania and the prices here are utterly stupid compared to other EU countries.

Maybe you could order at amazon.co.uk?

Desktop > Laptop.

Will never ever go back to using a laptop for gaming.

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Neither of those are very good. I take it you want a prebuilt computer, or are you comfortable building your own? What's your budget?
    Neither of those are very good? .. are you smoking?
    his desktop build is great to run WoW completely maxed out. it's about the setup i'm about to purchase and build myself.. It's a VERY VERY good budget build OP, go with the second option if you know how to assemble the parts yourself. If not, purchase the parts and get someone to put it together for you, a friend might do it free or you could pay about 50 bucks for someone to do it. Just make sure they dont' steal parts!
    Tauren > you

Okay went down to a local store and they said they can make the configuration for 640 Euros, the assembly will be free because of the holidays . Thanks again for the help guys.

15+ Year Old Account
    you should be purchasing 4gb with either of those, not 3gb.
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

i bought a $250. desktop that was on sale at mocrocenter with 3 gigs of ram already installed. Went and changed the PCU with a quad core processor was $189. and picked it up for 89.99 added a video card that came with my other computer. Bought a samsung monitor 23" 2 ms lat. for $189. and now it runs like a champ! this was all within a 2 week period. Spent like $530. Yeah go desktop.

Deleted
    AMD PHENOM II X4 955 BE 3.2GHZ 8MB SOCKET AM3 BOX
    ANTEC MIDTOWER THREE HUNDRED ATX BLACK
    ASUS GEFORCE GTX 460 DIRECT CU 1GB DDR5 PCI-E DVI/HDMI
    ASUS M4A87TD EVO AM3 ATX
    CORSAIR 4GB DDR3 XMS3 INTEL I5/I7 PC12800 1600MHZ CL9 (2X2GB)
    CORSAIR CX 500W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V PSU
    HITACHI DESKSTAR 7K1000.C 1TB 7200RPM SATA/300 32MB

This is what I could come up with for a 600euro budget and I think that's about the best you could get for that money. It's worth noting that you could always ditch the Phenom and lower the cost and go with an AMD Athlon II X4 640