Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst
1
2
3
4
... LastLast
  1. #21
    Fluffy Kitten eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rezzing. Again.
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by masterprtzl View Post
    Sorry if you mentioned this and I overlooked it, but HOW would I go about recording without the UI showing on the recording? My UI is pretty clean but no UI would be better for sure.
    I don't actually know how to do that either. Teach us, oh wise Coldbear!

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 06:28 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    Following was recorded while playing normally with the UI showing...
    AMG I can see it. It's my browser being a pain. O.o

    I am now a Coldbear fan. My God Ulduar was fun, and so was watching your video! Whenever you come back to this thread, you should tell us how you record sans-UI, because it makes a huge difference.

  2. #22
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125
    Only if I receive iron-clad promises of not ever being flamed by you and masterprtzl for telling you how to do it, plus not ever getting flamed by either or both of you ever on any message board on any internet ever, with substantial self-imposed and self-chosen harsh penalties should such flaming occur.

    On pain of eternal bannage from ever having access to my eyeballs ever again.

    The Dude abides.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 03:19 AM ----------

    Substantial monetary cost may be involved (around $3000 for me and my purposes, which did result in the largest, most inclusive and complete wow PVE movie ever made).

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 03:24 AM ----------

    I am not liable for any and all personal computer-related frustration that would result (and it will).

    I am also not liable for any flaming you would receive in internet-related communications (and you will be flamed).

    This information would be presented as is or "as is" in legalspeak, with no liability expressed or implied. All risk is assumed by the receiver of said information.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 03:43 AM ----------

    Incidentally, at http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...2JvaDbA#t=155s the healing lead goes over vent: "I'm not wearing a skirt, CB - so stop trying to get a camera angle up my skirt"

  3. #23
    Hello
    Thanks for an excellent guide, it helped me a lot. However, I used Xvid as you recommended but my video did get rather grainy, how can I make the quality better?

  4. #24
    Hi. Great guide.
    But I ran with a problem. I downloaded everything from the links provided and installed everything has adviced, but the Xvid you posted didnt work for me. I have Win7 64bit and that makes your linked Xvid not work correctly with 64bit Virtualdub. Anyways I found the 64bit Xvid here http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...nd-Vista-64bit (second post) and now it works a charm. Just wanted to throw it out here if people are having problems with the enconder. Again. thanks for the easy to follow guide.

  5. #25
    Fluffy Kitten eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rezzing. Again.
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Apurocko View Post
    Hi. Great guide.
    But I ran with a problem. I downloaded everything from the links provided and installed everything has adviced, but the Xvid you posted didnt work for me. I have Win7 64bit and that makes your linked Xvid not work correctly with 64bit Virtualdub. Anyways I found the 64bit Xvid here http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...nd-Vista-64bit (second post) and now it works a charm. Just wanted to throw it out here if people are having problems with the enconder. Again. thanks for the easy to follow guide.
    Thank you, I'm so sorry about that. I was silly and just assumed 32-bit, I suppose I shouldn't assume any more. Thank you also for providing links for others with 64-bit systems. Now that I can edit the OP, I've added your link, with credit to you of course.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-30 at 03:34 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Zamoria View Post
    Hello
    Thanks for an excellent guide, it helped me a lot. However, I used Xvid as you recommended but my video did get rather grainy, how can I make the quality better?
    The default settings should have been sufficient. Did you do anything else to the video, like resizing, cropping, or color balance? Did you change XviD settings at all? Are you using a 32- or 64-bit OS?

    Unfortunately without more information I can't just pull an answer out of my hat and say "here ya go".
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-01-30 at 09:42 PM.

  6. #26
    Herald of the Titans Tuvok's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    West Sussex, England.
    Posts
    2,709
    Excellent job, clearly a lot of effort put into it.

    I always think of that god in the game "Sacrifice" called Persephone whenever you post, which is good, because that game is win and brings me good memories.
    "The truth, my goal."

  7. #27
    Fluffy Kitten eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rezzing. Again.
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Tuvok View Post
    Excellent job, clearly a lot of effort put into it.

    I always think of that god in the game "Sacrifice" called Persephone whenever you post, which is good, because that game is win and brings me good memories.
    Aww thank you. Glad to be the bearer of good memories.

    I was always fascinated by the myth of Persephone, plus it sounds good, so when it came time to roll my paladin of course I'd choose that name. (My boyfriend's warlock, which he leveled with me, is of course Hades.)

  8. #28
    Thank you for making this thread. It helped me make my How to play Subtlety PvE Guide

  9. #29
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125
    The wow client that works on Mac OS X comes with a built-in recording function. Has a whole separate added "Mac Options" window where you can control keybinds for recording and compressing and whether to record the UI or not. Long story short you can record while playing normally, but the film comes out with no UI showing whatsoever. Great if you like cinematic film.

    Examples in sig. Downside is ofc that now you're playing on a Mac. This was the only reason I made the switch, and something I've regretted a few times but if you're an artist then you're willing to suffer.

    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mac
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mac_Video_Recording_and_Editing

  10. #30
    Fluffy Kitten eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rezzing. Again.
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by CanadianSniper View Post
    Thank you for making this thread. It helped me make my How to play Subtlety PvE Guide
    Aww yay! I'm glad I could help!

    Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    The wow client that works on Mac OS X comes with a built-in recording function. Has a whole separate added "Mac Options" window where you can control keybinds for recording and compressing and whether to record the UI or not. Long story short you can record while playing normally, but the film comes out with no UI showing whatsoever. Great if you like cinematic film.

    Examples in sig. Downside is ofc that now you're playing on a Mac. This was the only reason I made the switch, and something I've regretted a few times but if you're an artist then you're willing to suffer.

    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mac
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mac_Video_Recording_and_Editing
    Yeah, unfortunately I can't exactly buy a "spare" Mac. If I could do that, I'd totally be running at like 200 FPS on my current rig.

  11. #31
    Old God Arrowstormen's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Copenhagen
    Posts
    10,355
    doesnt the ability exists for Windows computers too? sounds odd that a Mac is the only one that can hide the UI.
    Being critical is a burden which some people loves to bear.

  12. #32
    Fluffy Kitten eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rezzing. Again.
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    doesnt the ability exists for Windows computers too? sounds odd that a Mac is the only one that can hide the UI.
    It's not a matter of what Windows vs Mac can do, it's about the Windows vs Mac WoW clients. Apparently it's built directly into the Mac version of WoW, but not the Windows version. I'm a touch jealous tbh.

  13. #33
    Compressing a video twice is baaaaaaaaaaad, it can destroys the quality of the output. You should output the no-sound version with an uncompressed format (which unfortunately will require even more hard disk space), and then compress it with XvD when you add the audio.

    Quote Originally Posted by Prothera View Post
    Isn't H.264 a better video codec?
    It is. It's also takes way longer to compress because it is a much more demanding compression algorithm, and is harder for beginners to use because the only good H.264 encoder (x264) is a command-line program.
    Last edited by Stevoman; 2011-03-01 at 04:52 AM.

  14. #34
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125
    I've never had a problem with H.264 in QTPP or FCE.

    If you go the Mac route you will end up paying more for equal or worse gaming performance, no two ways about it. The only reason there are less viruses and crap to worry about with Mac's is that it's simply not worth the hackers' time to write code for Mac OS. I was about to buy RAM from Apple when I realized I could get the exact same RAM from a Canadian retailer for 1/10th of the price. Blew my mind.

    Only reason I went Mac was for the 1h 33min video that I had planned for years. 3 Persian Gulf deployments in 2 years will net you some cash to throw around. All depends on your priorities and money-saving/making situation.

    Anyway, I think I'll have another sip of wine. Cheers!

  15. #35
    Fluffy Kitten eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Rezzing. Again.
    Posts
    3,958
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Compressing a video twice is baaaaaaaaaaad, it can destroys the quality of the output. You should output the no-sound version with an uncompressed format (which unfortunately will require even more hard disk space), and then compress it with XvD when you add the audio.
    Keep in mind this guide was intended for beginners. I absolutely agree with you, but there are a few key points to consider:

    1) They may not have hard disk space.

    2) Not every computer is able to handle opening 12 GB+ files. I decided that for the sake of computer stability it is safer suggest encoding it twice, despite the output quality change. I did make mention that it's better to only encode once if you can help it. The quality difference for your average person is not substantial enough in most cases, and only would bug people like you and me.

    TL;DR I go uncompressed the first time, and XviD the second time, but my computer is a beast like that. I couldn't afford to assume everyone else's computers could do the same.

  16. #36
    Stood in the Fire Ekkoeu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    London
    Posts
    351
    The Pro tip of creating an icon on my desktop was helpful. Thanks

    ---------- Post added 2011-03-17 at 11:15 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    The wow client that works on Mac OS X comes with a built-in recording function. Has a whole separate added "Mac Options" window where you can control keybinds for recording and compressing and whether to record the UI or not. Long story short you can record while playing normally, but the film comes out with no UI showing whatsoever. Great if you like cinematic film.

    Examples in sig. Downside is ofc that now you're playing on a Mac. This was the only reason I made the switch, and something I've regretted a few times but if you're an artist then you're willing to suffer.

    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mac
    http://www.wowpedia.org/Mac_Video_Recording_and_Editing
    Also Jelous of this Mac function. I find it strange how they implemented this function for what I assume is far less used os used in comparison to windows/pc's. It would be so nice to have a much clearer screen to see who's making the mistakes in raid and have clearer view of what a fight entails.

  17. #37
    Nice.
    ....................
    <Mod edit: Infracted>
    Last edited by Chelly; 2011-03-19 at 02:56 AM.

  18. #38
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Ekkoeu View Post
    The Pro tip of creating an icon on my desktop was helpful. Thanks

    ---------- Post added 2011-03-17 at 11:15 AM ----------



    Also Jelous of this Mac function. I find it strange how they implemented this function for what I assume is far less used os used in comparison to windows/pc's. It would be so nice to have a much clearer screen to see who's making the mistakes in raid and have clearer view of what a fight entails.
    Mystery to me, too. After 4 years I'm still finding things I hate about Mac OS X - and the only thing I like is that it's marginally easier to not get a virus/hacked.

    I'm guessing it's either something that's just plain easier to do technically on Mac OS X, or someone on the Mac games dev team is a hardcore Wow nerd with some programming skills or someone on the Wow Mac team is just a nuts-level insane genius programmer who loves making movies.

    If they implemented this for the regular Windows OS wow client the entire community would explode in cool movies, creativity and machinima. There'd also be a massive flood of really really bad videos, but whatever. Youtube can handle the extra capacity.

  19. #39
    High Overlord Seresumuerte's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    So. CA
    Posts
    179
    You would hate my UI. I currently use Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos and its pretty terrible, but it seems to have more options than Virtual Dub.

    Also my anti-virus stopped the Xvid codec from downloading saying it had a Trojan.

    I guess I'll just save up and get Final Cut Pro or Adobe Creative Sweet 5 something.
    Last edited by Seresumuerte; 2011-03-19 at 03:07 AM.

  20. #40
    Warchief coldbear's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Alexandria, VA
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by Seresumuerte View Post
    You would hate my UI. I currently use Windows Movie Maker to edit my videos and its pretty terrible, but it seems to have more options than Virtual Dub.

    Also my anti-virus stopped the Xvid codec from downloading saying it had a Trojan.

    I guess I'll just save up and get Final Cut Pro or Adobe Creative Sweet 5 something.
    Check eBay and other places for old versions of Sony Vegas and the Adobe stuff. There's also student/military discount packages if you qualify ...sometimes.

    Just don't download the "cracked" versions of these programs - you'll put yourself at risk for nasty viruses and whatnot, plus can't get support or full functionality.

    I coulda sworn there's a freeware video editor, but you'd have to look around for that. WMM is kinda crap, but if you watch out with how much you put into it you can get good results.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •