Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ...
    The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by zentenforius View Post
    just out of curiosity, does FRAPS work for a mac? and if not do you know a program that does?
    The Mac WoW client has a recorder built in. It's not necessary to use Fraps for Mac.

Quote Originally Posted by Donthealme View Post
    Awesome guide, as far as the question adding a song, that would be done within your video editing software and should be possible since even in WMM it is. All you need to do is find where you insert audio and then find your audio file and insert it.
    It can be done in VirtualDub, but like I said in the guide, if you've cut any parts it likes to skip the audio file around, so it's better to do it in two phases if you want to do audio within VirtualDub.

Quote Originally Posted by Bakermann View Post
    Nice guide m8. sure i can use some of your pro-tips

I recently had a break from raiding due to exams, so cant wait to get back and record and make new HM movies

Always love feedback on my stuff and my lastest (and one of the first movies) is this on:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je9Iq4ziDfY

Much have changed since that, UI which also is emphasized in this guide

Again thx for the guide
    /Croid
    Overall I like it. Nice titles especially. The black bars on the side bug me though, but that's simply a matter of your resolution.

Might want to mess around with your aspect ratio and resolutions a bit to bump it all the way to 1080P, but it's not a big deal if you don't feel like it's worth the hassle.
    Last edited by eternalwhitemoon; 2011-05-28 at 02:53 AM.

Deleted
    What sort of programs are you using to make the intro part to the above video Croid? or infact anyone that can recommend some.

How big should the video be in size when its all done? This is my first time trying to make a video and I dont think I really did any big compression....I wanted it to be in 1080p....the kill took about 7 minutes 30 seconds. What size should I expect from this when its done?

BTW...thanks for making this post....it was really helpful!

1080p is way overkill. You won't see much difference from 720p.

All depends on how often stuff like background and UI changes on the screen. A 7.5 min video could easily be 500MB or more depending on bit rate, fps and resolution.

Simple Solution (tm) is to take a small piece of that video, say 10 seconds, and format and render it about twenty times, changing settings one by one to see how it affects size and how much you like the looks of the final project. I must've done that a 100 times before I settled on my preferred format:

720p, 3000-5000kbits/sec, 24fps. Then again most of my videos turn out a bit longer than most people like on youtube or whatnot. See 1h 33min PVE video linked in sig.

Quote Originally Posted by coldbear View Post
    1080p is way overkill. You won't see much difference from 720p.

All depends on how often stuff like background and UI changes on the screen. A 7.5 min video could easily be 500MB or more depending on bit rate, fps and resolution.

Simple Solution (tm) is to take a small piece of that video, say 10 seconds, and format and render it about twenty times, changing settings one by one to see how it affects size and how much you like the looks of the final project. I must've done that a 100 times before I settled on my preferred format:

720p, 3000-5000kbits/sec, 24fps. Then again most of my videos turn out a bit longer than most people like on youtube or whatnot. See 1h 33min PVE video linked in sig.
    How do I make a video 720p instead of 1080p when I compress it?

Also, how can I add an intro screen saying my guilds name before the kill video starts?

W00T! My first POV boss kill video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452YS...er_profilepage

But I still would like to know how to add an intro where it shows my guilds name before the boss fight starts if anyone can help
    Last edited by HeatM1ser; 2011-07-07 at 11:51 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by HeatM1ser View Post
    How do I make a video 720p instead of 1080p when I compress it?

Also, how can I add an intro screen saying my guilds name before the kill video starts?

W00T! My first POV boss kill video! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=452YS...er_profilepage

But I still would like to know how to add an intro where it shows my guilds name before the boss fight starts if anyone can help
    What editing program are you using?

There's a lot of different methods to add a introscreen, but first you have to say what program you are using

The Lightbringer eternalwhitemoon's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    VirtualDub
    If you have the pieces you want already, to stitch them together, use Append AVI like I describe in the OP. You'd want to have your intro already opened, and append your segments in chronological order how you want them to appear.

To put them all together in VirtualDub, use the File>Append AVI Segment option, and select the next file in the sequence. (Note: if you have multiple segments to join you will have to repeat this process for each clip portion to be added; you can't select multiple clips in this menu.) You can use the slider bar at the bottom to review your newly-appended file and ensure you didn't insert the same clip twice. You can also play the video directly in VirtualDub if you prefer.
    Unfortunately VirtualDub cannot create a title screen for you. I think there is a way to make it show an image, but I can't remember how to do it.

Doyou know of a good starter program to make intros with?

Doyou know of a good starter program to make intros with?
    Start by just learning how to manipulate text in an image editing program, or your chosen video editor. Alternatively, pick up a cheap old copy of Sony Vegas or Adobe Aftereffects - but the new versions of said will set you back some cash.

You can also start with whatever you have available, like Windows Movie Maker or iMovie - just keep in mind that it takes a lot of work and practice to become as good as this guy at it: http://www.gforcecn.com/movies.html

With the internet and WCM/youtube communities being fundamentally about reaching a lowest common denominator, you have to realize that if you put something up for criticism, people will call you "gay" and "fag" and "you suck gtfo hope you die" and all that. Even worse if they figure out some personal details about you, like gender. Or you can take some courses in video editing and really learn, but that'll cost money.

For reference, this is the first thing I ever released with WMM:

[slightly sort of NSFW, girls 'dancing' and a stripper in a bikini, at the time I thought it was cool to splice stuff like that into WoW footage]

And here's 4 years and many movies later, in Final Cut Express, ten hours' work for five seconds of screen-time intro: