Cost of power-leveling JC?

Now I have herbalism and Alchemy on my balance druid.
    But I'm planning on replacing herbalism with JC so I can put in better gems and make a little profit on the side.

Question:

What does power-leveling JC 1-525 cost me if I buy everything on the AH?

Cost me nearly 8k on day two of Cata to get 30 skill ups!
    Has anyone really been far as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

First thing you should know is this: you don't need to get to 525. 500 is when you can start cutting Chimera's Eyes for yourself and the items you can make over 500 are simply not worth it now.

As for how expensive it's going to be ... well ... getting up to about 455 shouldn't be too bad. But unless you have a generous server, it gets really expensive to level from there. Uncut gems are expensive right now, even the green ones, and don't give skillups for very long.

Here's the fun part: right now, cut gems are cheaper than uncut gems because of all the JCs trying to skill up. Sure, you can't use Chimera's Eyes, but you can still be pretty well gemmed up for a lot less cost than usual. Here's something you might want to do instead: level mining. It's cheap to do so on the AH (I was able to get up to 425 -- the minimum for Obsidium - using Smelting for the most part, although there were siome parts I had to go out into Outland and Northrend to skill up (when you get to Saronite at 400, just fly around Sholozar Basin)) and only took me about 4 hours and I think after I sold all the leftover bars I profited by doing so. Then keep on mining until you've gotten yourself a very healthy supply of green and blue gems via prospecting. You may want to sell the uncut gems as long as their price remains higher than the cut gems. Once that flips, that's when you level JC (after laying in a nice supply of uncut gems to help you level up).

Doing this wil ensure a profit throughout, and you'll still have the end result you desire.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

Thinking of doing it like this:

Main = balance druid = alchemy/JC
    Alt = dk = herbalism/mining = gatherer

That way jc will be cheaper

Quote Originally Posted by Fullgore View Post
    Thinking of doing it like this:

Main = balance druid = alchemy/JC
    Alt = dk = herbalism/mining = gatherer

That way jc will be cheaper
    That way is always cheaper money-wise, the question is whether or not levelling a new alt is cheaper time-wise. If you're planning on creating a permanent gathering alt, then yes, that's not a bad way to go. You'll just be kind of stuck in neutral with your main profession-wise while you bring your alt up to speed.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's cheap till you hit 425-450 when you touch the Cata greens.

Then around 510ish when you make rare cuts, byebye gold. Oh and metas from 520-525? GL getting out of the there in the positives - that could take 5 gems or maybe 50 gems...there is no telling.

Quote Originally Posted by chrth View Post
    First thing you should know is this: you don't need to get to 525. 500 is when you can start cutting Chimera's Eyes for yourself and the items you can make over 500 are simply not worth it now.
    This comment should be a JC sticky

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Over 9000!! OMG!

I don't understand what everyone is talking about, how its such a gold sink and whatever...
    I leveled to 525 within the first few days, doing nothing but buying. I didn't farm anything for myself.
    I came out over 10k ahead... I would level it up to the point I could prospect the next quality ore, buy tons and tons
    of stacks, prospect it all to where I had several stacks of each gem, and turn around and sell everything I don't need for huge profit.

Granted, I might have spent like 10k to get started, but I more then doubled it (and maxed out JC) by the time I was done.

It has slowed down now... but I'm still buying between 5-10 gems a day for about 50g each and then selling (EDIT: after cutting) for about 150-200g each.
    To me, thats pretty easy gold for almost 0 effort on my part. Just takes 5 minutes on the AH.

Also, before Cata was released, I tried selling a JC leveling package of sorts... I gathered up all the supplies needed for 1-450 JC and stored them in my guild bank (took almost 2 whole tabs) and then tried to sell for 6k... and was unable to sell it due to people complaining that I was charging to much. In the end, I just sold it all for about 4-4.5k which is what it cost me to get all the mats off the AH. So, unless prices have changed, its pretty cheap.
    Last edited by SquishyTank; 2010-12-22 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishyTank View Post
    It has slowed down now... but I'm still buying between 5-10 gems a day for about 50g each and then selling (EDIT: after cutting) for about 150-200g each.
    To me, thats pretty easy gold for almost 0 effort on my part. Just takes 5 minutes on the AH.
    That may be server dependent. For most of the gems in my AH, the uncut actually cost more than the cut. I don't expect it to last, but for now it's not a viable method for turning profit.

10+ Year Old Account
    Currently on my server uncut sale from 20-60g each whereas the cut versions of the green quality are down under 10 each. They vend for 9 (I believe), so yes you will most likely cost more than you can make back once you get into cata material. Providing you are on a more established server 1-425/50 shouldn't cost you more than 5-10k varying by server of course.

I'm on silvermoon

I did 1-516 last week, and it took just under 10k. Note that I'm a Draenei though, so for the rest of the races that's 506.

After that level there's simply nothing reliable to level to 525 outside of meta gem cuts (I think).

10k and bought everything on Ah?

Deleted
    On my server it was cost me around 3k gold to get to the initial 450 in Wotlk and has so far cost me around 3k + to get up to 520 skill in cata. This is due to the high prices of the uncommon gems and shadowspirit gems on my server. I was fortunate enough to have mining as my other prof so it was mainly just paying for the shadowspirits that has cost me :S

Deleted
    Not sure what it costed me, but I got most of it back after I reached 500.