Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
1
2
3
LastLast
  1. #21
    Stood in the Fire Priestamgpwn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Belgrade
    Posts
    360
    First of all gratz on winning the contest,but (there is always but ) ,as others said and i myself noticed the same , there are couple things that aint for a contest winner guide.Let us start:

    First of all i cannot notice that some stuff are copy/pasted from other guides/sites, since i am familliar with them because i am grinding for the Battlemaster at the moment.
    Also you put too many words into achievements that are relativly more easy than one's that are harder and some of informations are OLD.
    So here are couple of things that i dont like ,or that are wrong:
    1)
    - Steady Hands: Arguably one of the most underestimated achievements within the Battlemaster meta. Unless your enemy is dumb enough to walk away from the planted bomb seeing someone running to it, you will have a semi difficult time working this one. It takes about 2-3 seconds to disarm the bomb. Direct damage done to you will stop the defusing process, forcing you to start over. So AoE stuns and fears are highly needed here. Of course, if you wanted to get this cheaply, you could have a friend on the opposite team work with you to place a bomb at random and you disarm it with no retaliation. Just depends if you want to earn it or just get it and be done. The choice is yours.
    You explained how to get it done etc., but you didnt count that people nowdays dont even bother with planting them.
    2)
    - Loyal Defender: This was one of the most fun achievements I got to do for the Battlemaster meta. If you can grab a DK for this run it will make it easier and way more funny to watch. Just chill out in your factions General’s room. When your enemy makes there move on your General, you kill them in the building. Having a DK means you can Death Grip them in and let the General slap him around a bit. It can be real exciting with a big group in there (I got about 25 kills with a small 8-9 man cell). Some warning before you jump into this. You must at least put some damage on the enemy before Van/Galv kills him. Why? If you don’t at least tag him, much like if you pet solos a mob, you will not get credit for the kill.
    There is a mistake here since you need to kill people in drek/balinda room (achi here :http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=224)
    3)
    - Tower Defense: For this one you must become adept at back capping. I tried getting random ones but failed a lot. So what I did was camp 1 tower and hid behind a hill waiting for the enemy to cap. Once they did, I waited for 5 seconds to see if they would leave. If they didn’t, depending on your group, I’d either charge or wait for back up to arrive. And if you want to be cheap, you can try to coordinate it with a friend from the opposite faction on your server to queue up for the same AV as you and just have them recap a tower after you cap it for multiple scores for your achievement.
    You can use a lot of abilities here ( mind control ftw) to get flag easily capped,it's better than hiding behind hill or something,and yeah all those things you said you can do with your friend from another fraction is almost impossible now since you can no longer pick in which bg you are going to enter ( atleast i think you cant)
    4)
    - Frenzied Defender: Depending on the strengths of both sides, this achievement could be very easy or very hard. For this achievement, you will want to stay loose in the BG, watching your minimap at all times to see just where the flag is heading. If you can hold your own, I suggest hanging around in the middle. The best way to get flag captures is to do w/e you do (DPS or heals) until the enemy is just below 25% health. At this time you’re going to want to start spam clicking above the enemies head. This will almost insure a capture for you (unless you latency is through the roof). Rinse and repeat 4 more times.
    You can wait until Children's week to get this achi , quote ItachiZaku from mine Battlemaster post
    For Frenzied Defender, a little bit of a dick move, but you can get that easily during children's week. Get in on day one and you will have 7-8 people with their orphan out in the flag room and people never get out. They "take turns LMAO" returning flags, but you grab one.... and another and another and when they cry about it you let them know that you need 5 for your achievement, while they only need 1.
    So that's about it i think i saw couple more things that are mistaken/wrong in this guide but all in all i would give it a 6/10.
    The reasons for giving it 6/10 is old infos,copy/pasting,lack of picture!!!! , and wall of text which makes a lot of people stop reading it after a title.

  2. #22
    Epic! Spectrez's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Somewhere in Southern California
    Posts
    1,742
    Good Job. Adding to favs to read over and over for my Battlemaster title. =D
    Last edited by Spectrez; 2011-01-02 at 08:20 PM.

  3. #23
    Wall of text lol
    Khris EU Zenedar
    Avoiding the pat since 2005.
    Available for high end hardcore raiding guild. PM me for more info

  4. #24
    Pandaren Monk Twilightdawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In your dreams, and in your nightmares
    Posts
    1,867
    Engineers aren't OP at flag carrying, they can't use speed boosts while holding flag or they drop it.

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by Thlop View Post
    Wall of text lol
    You dont even know what a wall of text is. The OP is a properly structed and well-written post. It is not a wall of text.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bahumut5
    I don't want to call Boubouille and wake her up for something like this.

  6. #26
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by Chaoslux View Post
    You dont even know what a wall of text is. The OP is a properly structed and well-written post. It is not a wall of text.
    I agree with you Chaos—there is a lot of text, yes, but it is informative, split appropriately and hardly resembles something that would be considered a wall of text. There are spelling errors, unnecessary greetings, etc, etc, but it absolutely blows my mind how much this matters to people commenting. This guide is being nitpicked to death by angry losers and I find it necessary to defend the guide author. Boubouille isn't an idiot, and I think he or she chose this guide over your "far more superior one" because it displays an obvious amount of time investment and knowledge. It isn't perfect. It doesn't have pictures. Yours did and he still one. Get over it.

  7. #27
    Great guide! One thing though is that Storm Glory, the eye of the storm 4 base flag cap achievement, is no longer required for the meta

  8. #28
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under your chair.
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Brren View Post
    I agree with you Chaos—there is a lot of text, yes, but it is informative, split appropriately and hardly resembles something that would be considered a wall of text. There are spelling errors, unnecessary greetings, etc, etc, but it absolutely blows my mind how much this matters to people commenting. This guide is being nitpicked to death by angry losers and I find it necessary to defend the guide author. Boubouille isn't an idiot, and I think he or she chose this guide over your "far more superior one" because it displays an obvious amount of time investment and knowledge. It isn't perfect. It doesn't have pictures. Yours did and he still one. Get over it.
    Are you also defending the fact that he suggests that you use strategies that are against the rules? That he admits to having out dated information? Didn't even spell check? If he really cared to have invested his time in it, why couldn't he have done the research to make sure it was up to date? The first one is outrageous, the others are indicators of just how little effort was actually put into this guide. (Someone said he copied and pasted, although I don't know the validity of that argument. If he did then it only goes to prove my point.)

    I can't believe how much everyone is focusing over things like silly wall of texts comments when there are serious issues at hand like the fact that the guide is supporting breaking the Terms of Use and its being featured on the front page.

    Just to run the point home, under Forum Rules and Guidelines: Subject/Content not Allowed on MMO-Champion this is not allowed, "Activities considered illegal by Blizzard Entertainment (botting, hacking, cheating, exploiting,...)". Which leads me to wonder why Boubouille picked this guide.

    Please read post #17 if you are wondering what is "illegal" in his guide. Thanks.
    Last edited by The Little One; 2011-01-02 at 11:15 PM.

  9. #29
    Blademaster Perturbo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Cork, Ireland
    Posts
    32
    Can't believe a keyboard turner posted such a good guide xD

  10. #30
    The Patient Epsilon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    R'lyeh
    Posts
    230
    There are so many small things you could do to make it a better guide. As other people have said, you made many spelling/grammar mistakes. You tell people that they should use glitches to get achievements, even though i believe it is against the ToS. If I had made this guide, i would have posted links to all the achievements, and would have added more detail. Telling people to "get some honor points" is not detailed. Not only are you wrong about where you get it, you dont list the amount of honor points needed. Also, there is no need to say "Hi! Willbender here!" after every section. If you go to a party, do you greet somebody every time you see them? It gets really annoying after a while. I dislike how for almost every achievement you say that a premade is needed/helpful. With a premade, its probably pretty easy to get every achievement. I would have liked to see a guide telling me how to get the achievements without having to have a personal healer, ect. Overall, i would give this a 5/10

  11. #31
    Hmm , i have a better idea
    Go for all the 100 wins in all 5 of them , and by the time you do that , you will have most/all of the achi for BM
    For me , I did 2 premades right after i got all the 100 win achi.
    Most of these stuff are just pure luck and you can get it by yourself

  12. #32
    Would have been nice to have a link or description for each achievement. I couldn't remember what some of them were.
    Originally Posted by Ghostcrawler (Blue Tracker)
    We don't think burst is a problem in PvP right now.

  13. #33
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    Quote Originally Posted by The Little One View Post
    Are you also defending the fact that he suggests that you use strategies that are against the rules? That he admits to having out dated information? Didn't even spell check? If he really cared to have invested his time in it, why couldn't he have done the research to make sure it was up to date? The first one is outrageous, the others are indicators of just how little effort was actually put into this guide. (Someone said he copied and pasted, although I don't know the validity of that argument. If he did then it only goes to prove my point.)

    I can't believe how much everyone is focusing over things like silly wall of texts comments when there are serious issues at hand like the fact that the guide is supporting breaking the Terms of Use and its being featured on the front page.

    Just to run the point home, under Forum Rules and Guidelines: Subject/Content not Allowed on MMO-Champion this is not allowed, "Activities considered illegal by Blizzard Entertainment (botting, hacking, cheating, exploiting,...)". Which leads me to wonder why Boubouille picked this guide.

    Please read post #17 if you are wondering what is "illegal" in his guide. Thanks.
    No, thank you! I never realized how important this issue is to you. Why, it bears so much importance, I do believe it warrants national attention. He speaks of using glitches? How dare he. He didn't use spell check? Outrageous! Next time they should put you in charge of contests! But wait, that would mean you couldn't participate in hopes of getting a prize. That is the whole reason you're so upset, right?

    Comes down to this: the contest rules didn't say anything specific or nonspecific about content and the banning of "glitches." You say the forum rules do? Ban him. He still wins the prize! Boubouille judged what personally matched his or her criteria for winning and for this guide to get 3rd I don't think the call was made halfheartedly. People complain about anything including free stuff being given away!

  14. #34
    Diagrams would be sick for this.

  15. #35
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under your chair.
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by Brren View Post
    No, thank you! I never realized how important this issue is to you. Why, it bears so much importance, I do believe it warrants national attention. He speaks of using glitches? How dare he. He didn't use spell check? Outrageous! Next time they should put you in charge of contests! But wait, that would mean you couldn't participate in hopes of getting a prize. That is the whole reason you're so upset, right?

    Comes down to this: the contest rules didn't say anything specific or nonspecific about content and the banning of "glitches." You say the forum rules do? Ban him. He still wins the prize! Boubouille judged what personally matched his or her criteria for winning and for this guide to get 3rd I don't think the call was made halfheartedly. People complain about anything including free stuff being given away!
    Lets get the facts straight because you think think I'm working with some secret agenda to get something out of this for myself. I provided with facts and attempted to detach myself from bias, which you obviously are not doing with your attempts to personally attack me. Using exploits and glitches are an actionable offence in World of Warcraft and according to the Forum Rules and Guidelines set forth by Boubouille himself on MMO-Champion, you may not post anything that is considered "illegal" by Blizzard. (Edit: I also feel that it is not a wise idea for MMO-Champion to be featuring guides on the front page that support using exploits and glitches, when they try so hard to uphold a good and clean community.) I understand that Boubouille picked this guide out him/herself which is why I sent him a message asking to him to review his decision or urge Willbender to revise his guide. I never even mentioned taking away the prize or his place.

    Yes, I did participate in the contest but believe it or not, I didn't even want the prizes. I was going to give it to my mom because she collects mounts, pets and all that vanity stuff. I'm too much of an altoholic that the items would have gone to waste on me. I'm not immature and I knew there was a huge chance I wouldn't win, even though I put forth hours of effort in attempt to making a great guide because it became fun after a while. That's why I was only disappointed for the first hour after the loss and then I was excited to see all the winners. Their guides have been funny and extremely useful, you could tell they took their time on them. Even now I'm waiting for Boubouille to open the Guide forum so that I can go back and edit my guide to make it better and more useful for the general public.

    Get off your high horse and take a look at it from down here. Believe it or not there are good hearted people in this world that aren't greedy and out for themselves, I hope to consider myself one of them. I don't feel that Willbender should have his place or prize taken away. That's just wrong. I just feel that his guide needs to be revised. The information is out of date as many have stated and provided proof for, he even states so in the guide himself. Some of the information goes against World of Warcraft Terms of Use and Forum Rules and Guidelines. And yes, he could use a proof read. If he refuses to do so then was he in it to make a good guide, or was he just in it for the prize? (Which you imply is exactly what I'm doing.) Speculation on this point is welcome because there are multiple things that point to a lack of effort and regard for making a good guide. (IE. Acknowledging that the information is out dated but didn't take the time to research it and update the information.)

    I understand Boubouille picked this out him/herself. All I ask is that it be reviewed when he didn't just read 400 other guides.
    Last edited by The Little One; 2011-01-03 at 01:22 AM.

  16. #36
    Grunt
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    13
    My apologies as you've broken through my stubbornness, and I now realize that my attacks were personal when they were meant to be directed at those in general who do critic and whine because they did not win. I shouldn't have attacked you personally.

    You make valid points that will indeed improve his guide and perhaps make it more or less "legal" to be posted here. Yet, to even toss around that he "might have copy/pasted" is ludicrious unless evidence is provided. As you said that is speculation and cruel to the guide author. It still seems that as a society we are more than happy to be solely mean and critical when what really is needed is just praise with constructive suggestions (which happens rarely in these comment sections.)

    I still argue to those that would think it unfair for Willbender to win because of these shortcomings (that don't seem to be "overlooked" or "ignored") that they take a look at the contest rules and not Forum Rules. While he should be liable for breaking the latter he does not break contest rules (and anything to contrary has yet to be beyond speculation). A lack of pictures or structure is not following suggested guidelines for the guide.

  17. #37
    Man down, Man down, Spell-checker needed stat!.

    Ya it's well written etc, but seriously, some shiny pictures/updated info and removing of the "illigal" part's would do wonders, and for the love of god ditch the "HI I AM!" part for every section it's only needed one time.
    Oh hi

  18. #38
    Field Marshal
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Under your chair.
    Posts
    84
    I have to apologize too, because I probably came off more offensive than necessary as well, not just to you but to Willbender as well.

    Ultimately, you are right that Boubouille felt that this was a useful guide and its why s/he picked it and we probably have little right to say what deserved to win or not to win because we weren't the judges, nor was there some "rubric" that was used to judge; just a few simple rules. Some of the things just stood out to me so much with this guide that I was a little shocked that Boubouille picked it. To me the shock was Exploits/Glitches>Outdated Info>Typos and No Pictures, because plenty of the other guides have had a few typos here and some of them are very simple when it comes to the pictures. They won because they had great information.

    I do agree that people have been rather harsh with their comments and many of them are because they lost, unfortunately. (Honestly, I never really understood the wall of text comment, because it really isnt.) However, I really do feel that there are issues that need to be fixed, which don't really require being restated. (I think both sides have made their points rather clear.) The topic he picked was one that many people find extremely useful to have a guide for. My only hope is that Willbender does come back to improve upon his guide.

    With that being said, I'm very excited to have the Guide forum opened so we can see what else is out there.

  19. #39
    Keyboard Turner
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Maryland USA
    Posts
    2
    I suppose I will step in here and give my 2 cents on some of the comments (as an aspiring author I welcome criticism openly and seek many ways to better myself as a writer).

    Yes yes my spelling is atrocious. I absolutely love writing and expressing myself in words. I also have a vast vocabulary (courtesy on my father who always pushed me to learn new ways of expression). I have no clue why I am so grammatically challenged in my writing. Trust me when I say this, I spell checked myself 2 times before submitting and in each I found several errors. So my apologies to all of the English majors ><.

    As for pictures, that in lies my second greatest weakness...art. As a youth, I could never draw a straight stick man with a ruler (no that is not an exaggeration ><). I find that it is no different on computer based programs. However, that is where my skills as a teacher come in. I am amazing at explaining things and breaking down complex thoughts into bite size pieces for any level in intellect. However, I do know my generation is a more visual bases learning crowd so I apologize for that (though I did attempt to separate each clearly ).

    Now to the final part...the glitches. I have a genuine respect for the game. I have played since just before BC and have (for the most part) loved the way it has evolved into what it is today. I never go out of my way to seek out and find ways to exploit the game for some sort of profit. However, as an unbiased person myself, I felt it was my duty to explain things I have found along my journey to Battlemaster. Every last one of the glitches I found was all on accident. I didn’t manipulate the game to fit me in any way. For example: The one where I had to blow up the walls in SotA with the bombs. I figured that glitch out when I placed a bomb by a wall that was not destroyed, got destroyed by other means, than my bomb detonating, and I still got credit. Now if that is a violation of the rules than I am guilty as charged but regret nothing. Nowhere in my guide did I say "OMG GO DO THIS NOW CUZ IT EQUALY INSTA ACHIEVEMENT!!" I put it out there for peoples learning. Nothing more.

    Oh and 1 more thing. I swear on my honor as a writer that nothing I typed with my two hands was on any other site. I mean, if my bad grammar isn’t proof enough than idk what is ><. Take this into account though. All of my strategies are based off of trial and error. So my strategies could very well be that of another sites.

    Overall though, I thank all of the positive feedback as well as the not so positive. I grow with each word I type and with each comment I gain. I have read the guides above me and some below me and I have not read a single one that I did not thoroughly enjoy and think should have been higher. Maybe that’s an authors curse though, to love all other writings and never satisfied with his own. Congratulations to all who entered in this contest, winners or not.

    PS: Reason why I greeted myself on every Battleground: This guide was originally designed for a different website about 3 months back and each BG was going to be shown 1 week at a time. That idea fell through but I wanted to keep the greetings in there for kicks .
    Last edited by Willbender0023; 2011-01-03 at 06:55 AM.

  20. #40
    too loong, did not read
    p.s. have all wotlk PVP achievs done

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •