Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Weapon enchants for prot warriors.

What is the best enchant around for prot warriors?
    Currently im running around with mending but is there something else around that would be better?

isn't there some sort of chance to proc dodge on hit enchant?

It's definitely Enchant Weapon - Windwalk ( http://www.wowhead.com/spell=74244 )

"Permanently enchant a weapon to sometimes increase dodge rating by 600 and movement speed by 15% for 10 sec when striking in melee. Requires a level 300 or higher item."

It doesn't increase threat, but it does help avoidance quite a bit. If you're looking for a more threat-increasing enchant then I'd say Power Torrent is pretty good.

Mending seems the way to go atm when there aren't many Maelstrom Crystals available, later Windwalk will be the better tank enchant.

IMMA CHARGIN' MA' VENGEANCE!

Tested mending last night.

On a 6min Maloriak kill mending accounted for 33628 total healing. ER accounted for 49075 and I only used it once.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8004&e=8378

Mending really isn't looking all that hot. I may well go back to bladeward, or avalanche for TPS until Windwalk is available to us.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

well.. idk about you guys but I'm not at 8% hit in my tanking gear.. so I use good old Pyrium weapon chain

Quote Originally Posted by Torture View Post
    Tested mending last night.

On a 6min Maloriak kill mending accounted for 33628 total healing. ER accounted for 49075 and I only used it once.

http://www.worldoflogs.com/reports/r...?s=8004&e=8378

Mending really isn't looking all that hot. I may well go back to bladeward, or avalanche for TPS until Windwalk is available to us.
    still think you have a bunk log, i'm getting about 250hps from mending

that's about 90,000 in 6 mins

---------- Post added 2010-12-22 at 02:18 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    well.. idk about you guys but I'm not at 8% hit in my tanking gear.. so I use good old Pyrium weapon chain
    reforge crit into hit/exp

reforge dodge into it too if you need to

you should have plenty of options for more hit in 85 gear

Quote Originally Posted by blizzardcashshop View Post

I'm in full heroic/epic gear for my tank set apart from trinkets.. I COULD gem for hit.. but i'm not going too this early on in the expansion

Deleted

Sorry but imho reforging any avoidance stat to hit is fail, sure if you have 102.4% AFTER reforging but something tells me that no one has at this point, if they do then they are lacking massively in another department.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Lilsocks View Post
    Sorry but imho reforging any avoidance stat to hit is fail, sure if you have 102.4% AFTER reforging but something tells me that no one has at this point, if they do then they are lacking massively in another department.
    Not fail at all. Missing an interrupt will cause more damage than the extra 1-2% dodge would have saved. Missing applying a debuff may have the same effect. Tank damage is also relevant these days, I believe most tanks are able to rival their fellow dps members, meaning the faster you kill adds/bosses/stuff, the less of a concern healer mana is.

Quote Originally Posted by Iyona View Post
    Not fail at all. Missing an interrupt will cause more damage than the extra 1-2% dodge would have saved. Missing applying a debuff may have the same effect. Tank damage is also relevant these days, I believe most tanks are able to rival their fellow dps members, meaning the faster you kill adds/bosses/stuff, the less of a concern healer mana is.
    A tank on a single target that is rivaling DPS, is surrounded by fail DPS. In AoE fights when trash gets to 3-4 plus, sure, it can be justifiable, but at any point the tank can go toe to toe on single target damage there is a problem (assuming no off the wall boss fight mechanics). Tanks will do a significantly higher percentage of the damage than before but considering a tank a rival on the DPS chart is just wrong.

Also remember, until you actually walk into a raid, reaching the hit cap is irrelevant. The bosses and mobs in Heroic dungeons are level 87, not 88/skull. Highlight the hit raiting in your melee tab and see what it says for level 87 and you are fine. Rethink hit or focus on it, as you are getting close to raiding, not gearing up.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have tested mending extensively and my results are similar to torture's, the enchant is terribly weak right now, it heals for 600 on proc, 1200ish on crits, and heals for about the same as 3/3 bloodcraze after a 5 minutes fight (not a lot i can tell you), averaging 100-150 hps on single target fights.

Until windwalk is available (when we start DEing epics), the best enchants are threatwise.

@Enchanters
    You cant DE epic rep gear? I know the enchanter on my guild is buying JP gear to get shards.

Also remember, until you actually walk into a raid, reaching the hit cap is irrelevant. The bosses and mobs in Heroic dungeons are level 87, not 88/skull. Highlight the hit raiting in your melee tab and see what it says for level 87 and you are fine. Rethink hit or focus on it, as you are getting close to raiding, not gearing up.
    You need 6% hit for heroics, 8% for raids, 5% for regular trash. Missing interrupts might cost a life, 3 examples:
    First boss in ToT, she deals 100% your health in damage, leaving you at 1 health (can be spellreflected but she takes no damage).
    Third boss in ToT, his lava burst hits a random party member for 60k+ they might potentially get 2shot if they stand on the spike for more than one second and get hit by that (happened before on melee dps, they have less time to run out of it).
    Omnitron defense system, those arcane barrages hit from 60-80k, if you keep missing interrupts and let him cast, he will potentially 1shot a raid member that went low on health because of another golem aoe (magmatron's flamethrower, electron's chain lightning). And he casts it every 3 seconds, so without interrupts, he is the golem that deals the most raid damage in that fight, worst part of it is that instead of the damage being spread among many people, its focused on a single target, making it much worse to heal through.

You are entitled to your opinion, like everybody else here.

But pulling 10-12k (or more) single target dps on a raid boss is far from being a failure, you are actively contributing to the raid dps.

The guy who mentioned the pyrium weapon chain is actually smart, it provides (i think) 50 flat hit rating, its double of what we had in wotlk. You could either go for that or avalanche for threat, both are good numbers.
    A tank on a single target that is rivaling DPS, is surrounded by fail DPS. In AoE fights when trash gets to 3-4 plus, sure, it can be justifiable, but at any point the tank can go toe to toe on single target damage there is a problem (assuming no off the wall boss fight mechanics). Tanks will do a significantly higher percentage of the damage than before but considering a tank a rival on the DPS chart is just wrong.
    The world firsts heroic kills had tanks on top 4-5 DPS, and i dont believe they had "fail dps" in their raids.
    Last edited by shadowkras; 2010-12-22 at 04:21 PM.
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.

pyrium weapon chain until windwalk becomes more available/affordable

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post

@Enchanters
    You cant DE epic rep gear? I know the enchanter on my guild is buying JP gear to get shards.

Nope, we aint allowed :-(

Not saying anyone is wrong or right but most of the prot warriors in top guilds are running with 1 expertise and less then 5% hit.
    Quote Originally Posted by John Silver
    "Now, you listen to me, James Hawkins. You got the makings of greatness in you, but you got to take the helm and chart your own course. Stick to it, no matter the squalls! And when the time comes you get the chance to really test the cut of your sails, and show what you're made of! Well, I hope I'm there, catching some of the light coming off you that day."

You CAN run with low hit as long as you have the personnel to cover it.

If a fight requires interupts you can guarantee there is a rogue, or DPS warrior, or shaman, or some form of cover because missing important interupts can be really, really painful.

At our current gear level achieving capped hit and expertise would mean absolutely destroying our survivability, I think 1 expertise is pretty common as you lose less form expertise than hit. Then anywhere from 3% to 6% hit seems to be where most cutting edge progress tanks are right now.

Hadn't thought of the Pyrium chain, that's actually a very solid idea. I'm going to pull numbers on Avalanche tomorrow night and see how it performs, but if it's a dud then weapon chain may be next on the list.

Armory Link
    Life's like a salmon swimming upstream - Hard work, and sometimes you get eaten by bears.

Quote Originally Posted by Jijek View Post
    I'm in full heroic/epic gear for my tank set apart from trinkets.. I COULD gem for hit.. but i'm not going too this early on in the expansion
    I'm a paladin tank and i'm at hit cap and soft expertise cap in full Heroic and Crafted/Rep epics excluding the crafted chest piece with minimal reforging for hit and exp. I also don't socket hit or expertise. So it can be done. You just need the right pieces to balance the stats

First off, Paladin glyphs say 'Hi, look how easy expertise is'.

Second, for every piece you're 'balancing' because it has hit on it, I'd suggest a different tank has a piece with avoidance on it, so it's really exactly the same dilemma but with gear instead of reforging. If you want hit and expertise, avoidance WILL suffer, it has to because it's the alternative in almost every instance.

I wear a cloak with hit on it, because I feel comfortable around the 5% mark. I have a +208 hit cog in my goggles. But both of these things are compromises. I could swap my cloak for the one with parry and my cog for dodge.

I can see me getting hit cap during T11, but there needs to be some gear upgrades first or it simply makes me squishier, which isn't a desirable trait in a tank

Armory Link

As a tank I don't gear for hit. It's nice, but expertise > hit. In any case many tanks(myself included) run with gear far below either cap and have zero threat issues. Before anyone says I'm a scrub, many of the top tanks in the world view threat the same way. Rotation, rotation, rotation.

---------- Post added 2010-12-22 at 03:44 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by shadowkras View Post
    -- snip --
    You need 6% hit for heroics, 8% for raids, 5% for regular trash. Missing interrupts might cost a life, 3 examples:
    -- snip --
    Because only tanks can interrupt, amirite?

---------- Post added 2010-12-22 at 03:46 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Torture View Post
    You CAN run with low hit as long as you have the personnel to cover it.

If a fight requires interupts you can guarantee there is a rogue, or DPS warrior, or shaman, or some form of cover because missing important interupts can be really, really painful.

At our current gear level achieving capped hit and expertise would mean absolutely destroying our survivability, I think 1 expertise is pretty common as you lose less form expertise than hit. Then anywhere from 3% to 6% hit seems to be where most cutting edge progress tanks are right now.

Hadn't thought of the Pyrium chain, that's actually a very solid idea. I'm going to pull numbers on Avalanche tomorrow night and see how it performs, but if it's a dud then weapon chain may be next on the list.
    Threatwise you lose more from being under expertise cap than hit cap. Up to 26 expertise, point for point expertise expertise is better because it reduces two potential sources of failed attacks. Hit only reduces one.

---------- Post added 2010-12-22 at 03:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Kraven Moorehead View Post
    I'm a paladin tank and i'm at hit cap and soft expertise cap in full Heroic and Crafted/Rep epics excluding the crafted chest piece with minimal reforging for hit and exp. I also don't socket hit or expertise. So it can be done. You just need the right pieces to balance the stats
    Yes, it can be done... the question is, why do it?
    Last edited by Lansow; 2010-12-23 at 02:03 AM. Reason: clarity, removed parry haste info as it may be deprecated

10+ Year Old Account
    Because only tanks can interrupt, amirite?
    Because every class has short interrupts, amirite?
    People take stupidity to a whole new level when they sit in front of a computer.

www.poepra2.com.br Um blog para quem prefere jogos multiplayer.