High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account

VERY bad fps with new graphics card

Hello everyone! I just replaced my old Radeon HD 5450 with an Asus Radeon HD 6850. The problem is that I'm getting only 0.3 fps in WoW (maybe 2 fps with minimum settings). With the previous card I was always between 40-80 fps. I also tried playing CoD: MW 2 and Just Cause 2 with my new card and both of them were running extremely good even with the highest settings.

I tried disabling all the addons too, but it didn't help at all. I'm also pretty sure that I have the latest drivers because I installed them from a CD yesterday. My pc has an Intel Core i3-540 processor and 6GB of RAM.

Sorry about my english, it is not my native language Thanks for reading!

Hello

You should really check for new drivers at amd.com/uk

Also please make sure you uninstall the old drivers before you install the new ones. Sometimes this "upgrade" from older drivers does not work properly.

And delete the "WTF and Cache" from your WOW directory, the game needs to readjust its settings based on your new card.

Hope it helps !

First, did you remove the old drivers before you installed the new gfx card and/or the drivers ?

Also make sure you get the latest one from the webiste ofAMD, I think there's also a hotfix for these cards but that might just be for the 6900 series. The drivers on the CD may not be the latest available.

Lastly, make sure that the settings in the Catalyst control panel and WoW are not both set to the highest. Either use the AA/AF settings from CCC or those from WoW.

If you use CCC to set the AA/AF then set these settings in WoW to the lowest option.
    If you use WoW to set these then make sure you set CCC to "let the app decide".
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Uninstall your old grx card's driver. make sure you have already installed the driver for your new grx card...and have only 1 driver for your grx card unless you have 2 grx cards...also delete WTF/cache file would help

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameroon View Post
    Hello everyone! I just replaced my old Radeon HD 5450 with an Asus Radeon HD 6850. The problem is that I'm getting only 0.3 fps in WoW (maybe 2 fps with minimum settings). With the previous card I was always between 40-80 fps. I also tried playing CoD: MW 2 and Just Cause 2 with my new card and both of them were running extremely good even with the highest settings.

I tried disabling all the addons too, but it didn't help at all. I'm also pretty sure that I have the latest drivers because I installed them from a CD yesterday. My pc has an Intel Core i3-540 processor and 6GB of RAM.

Sorry about my english, it is not my native language Thanks for reading!
    Have you got dual screen? If so i think I know what the problem is, however I won't go into details until I know. Lemme know man!

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Nope, I don't have dual screen
    Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    i didn't bother reading the OP, it's most likly just some shitty thread debating as to how gearscore is good/bad or a comparison to skill again

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gameroon View Post
    Nope, I don't have dual screen
    Ok well my next thought is a driver issue. When the cata patch hit I had exactly the same problem, I downloaded some fresh drivers and it fixed it (Along with some weird shadow artifacts too) If it's only wow thats affected the problem can't be too much to worry about.

I suggest checking your pc to make sure that your old video card drivers were uninstalled properly. Now here comes the pain in the ass. If you still have your old drivers on the machine, you will have to uninstall both the old ones AND the new ones and then re-install the new drivers otherwise it'l be buggy. GPU installations suck.

Deleted
    had same issue and discovered that there is problem with 24 and 16 bit colors. WoW was set to 16 bit duno why and this option is no longer in game menu so open WTF/config and check if there is 16 or 24. It should be 24.

u can also try run folowing

/console gxDepthBits 24
    /console gxColorBits 24
    /console gxRestart

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thanks a lot for you guys, I really had installed the new drivers without uninstalling the old ones. Now it's working perfectly
    Quote Originally Posted by Sno View Post
    i didn't bother reading the OP, it's most likly just some shitty thread debating as to how gearscore is good/bad or a comparison to skill again