Deleted

Death Knights Independant?

Ok so I've been wondering about this since cata's realease. This will make alot more sense if you have played through the death knight starting area.

After the battle for light's hope chapel the ebon blade DK's are freed from the lich kings control and are sent to either Varian or Thrall depending on your race.

This is where you have to seperate game emchanics from storyline mechanics.

For gameplay issues Death knights are either part of the alliance or part of the horde depending on your race. fair enough

However lorewise death knights are still part of the Ebon Blade and are only allied with the alliance or the horde.

So (finally) this is my question. During the Battle for Andorhal questline you can see that Thassarian is clearly part of the Alliance and Koltira is part of the Horde officially.

Shouldn't the Ebon blade (a neutral faction) be neutral in a war between the Alliance and the Horde and these 2 shouldn't get involved? I relise this could count for player death knights aswell but that would just be awkard game mechanic wise and to be fair they arnt leading the Alliance or Horde forces during the fight.

Have I missed something is there a clear reason for this?

Also where has Darion buggered off to in cata?

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ebon Blade itself may be neutral, but that doesn't mean that every death knight ever has to be. Thassarian and Koltira clearly still feel a strong connection to the Alliance and Horde respectively, as throughout Wrath they were hanging out in faction towns and helping them.

Deleted
    Both Koltira and Thassarian joined their respective functions after the Lich King was killed and the order of the Ebon Blade was put to its end. Now Koltira is Horde and Thassarian is Alliance, thus making them fight eachother's forces in Andorhal, even though they do not want to fight eachother, they are still friends.

Sylvanas puts Koltira in exile beneath the Undercity for not executing the battle in a good-enough way, seeing as how he would spare Thassarian while Sylvanas wanted him dead.

It's a little weird, but that's how it's looking right now.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Ebon Blade was created to fight the Lich King, with the Lich King "gone" the Ebon Blade doesnt have anything else to fight for as a faction but mere undead in northrend, that just leaves them to their own political associations which in this case are alliance or horde for some of the DK like thassarian and koltira

EDIT
    :C got beat to it.... two times

and i heard Darion went on vacation with Bolvar :V
    Their filthyness STAAAINNS me~~

Darion's chillin in Archerus.

I see it like this. The death knights in Northerend and in Archerus chose to remain neutral to destroy the Lich King and now that he's dead they're just kinda neutral and have no desire to join any faction. All others, both pre and post LK, were sent to rejoin the faction they were allied with in life. Although all Death Knights that left are still friendly to KotEB, they aren't part of that faction anymore.

Yes. Next question. :3

But seriously, besides some of the end of WotLK and some major events in Cata, the factions aren't nearly as dichotomous as the videogame representation of the lore would have you believe.

The player-based Death Knights, along with Thassarian and Koltira, are send to the Alliance/Horde to join them instead. Read the text for Where Kings Walk/Warchief's Blessing:

You are now, and forever will be, a Knight of the Ebon Blade, <name>, but know this: you were once a hero of the Alliance.

<Darion stares at you.>

This order must establish allies for itself if it is to survive. You must represent the Knights of the Ebon Blade to the Alliance.

On the platform, southeast of me, is a portal to Stormwind City. Take this letter, given to me on your behalf by Lord Fordring, and deliver it to King Varian Wrynn. Use the portal.
    Mograine says the same to Horde.