Question Swap to 2 1hers during boss fight... anyone else?

So, we all know that DW tanking is, effectively, dead. However, at present, tank threat is a non-issue (I'm only at 2% hit and in the first 10sec of a fight I have a threat lead so large that I could auto attack for nearly a minute without losing threat.)

Keeping that in mind, I've grabbed two tank 1hers, runed em up, and started swapping to them after I've established a solid threat lead. The idea being to boost my avoidance to help the healers, since healer mana is a large issue at the moment.

Now, I know that threat will become more of an issue at some point, as DPS becomes better geared (and after the inevitable vengeance nerf). But, for the moment, I'm thinking that there is no downside to this. Any one else trying the same thing?

No one does this because it's a bad idea, man. Play your class right, don't spec 36/0/0, use a 2 hander, and your healers should have no problem keeping you up. Switching to dual wield is dead.

You are gonna get a lot of rage filled replies to your existence and claims.

The downside is the lack of stamina on 1H compared to 2H equivalents, and the fact that mastery on 2H (see http://www.wowhead.com/item=59492/ ) means that you don't even make full use of the extra avoidance stats on 1H tanking weapons.

In fact you're probably doing the healers less of a favour by swapping weapons, tank DPS isn't a joke anymore and gimping yourself like that prolonging the fight means the healers use more mana anyway.

What is this... I don't even...

The avoidance you're trading for, is just... Why... I mean, I can't actually, I cannot find the words.

Quote Originally Posted by Monteverdi View Post
    So, we all know that DW tanking is, effectively, dead. However, at present, tank threat is a non-issue (I'm only at 2% hit and in the first 10sec of a fight I have a threat lead so large that I could auto attack for nearly a minute without losing threat.)

Keeping that in mind, I've grabbed two tank 1hers, runed em up, and started swapping to them after I've established a solid threat lead. The idea being to boost my avoidance to help the healers, since healer mana is a large issue at the moment.

Now, I know that threat will become more of an issue at some point, as DPS becomes better geared (and after the inevitable vengeance nerf). But, for the moment, I'm thinking that there is no downside to this. Any one else trying the same thing?
    Ignoring all of the replies and all of the maths to do with DW vs 2H, I have a better question.

36/0/0? WTF is wrong with you?

Actually, it doesn't show Improved Blood Presence either. Whatever you think you're tanking, you're not.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rugz View Post
    my dream *.*

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by lebowski View Post
    No one does this because it's a bad idea, man. Play your class right, don't spec 36/0/0, use a 2 hander, and your healers should have no problem keeping you up. Switching to dual wield is dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by Needonboots View Post
    Ignoring all of the replies and all of the maths to do with DW vs 2H, I have a better question.

36/0/0? WTF is wrong with you?

Actually, it doesn't show Improved Blood Presence either. Whatever you think you're tanking, you're not.
    Looking at his signature's site for around 10 seconds made it clear to me that the site has not been updated for Cataclysm ("Level 80").

His actual armory is here: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...teverdi/simple

His spec is 33/6/2. Now, hopefully discussion can return to the debate (in which his point actually has some merit) and not his signature.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Rawr, sorry Simca!

It is an interesting idea. In cata we don't really have these huge hits anymore, not if you're doing the fight correctly, so Stamina isn't that big of a deal as long as you are above a threshold amount (150k-ish?), so the idea of stam loss isn't a big deal except as a threat loss. If you get more green stats (mastery/parry/dodge) it might be worth looking at. There are a lot of maybe's and might's in there though.