Heroic after heroic I have had to teach groups how to use Mind Control, show them how effective it is, an hope that the dungeons leaders go out and use what they learned in future dungeons, hopefully a simple guide like this one can help get the word out faster and we can start seeing groups effectively using Mind Control right away.
A guide to Mind Control, not only for Shadow Priests, but Dungeon and Raid Leaders
A few notes to be aware of first about Mind Control
First off simply Mind Control = MC and Crowd Control = CC
The MC spell last 30 seconds, this becomes important when re-MCing as will be explained later
When used correctly, MC'd targets can do Incredible damage, make sure to keep a pet cast bar on your screen to use casters effectively
How to use Mind Control
Be Hit Capped for the mobs you will be Crowd Controling, nothings worse than having your MC miss
This is only 6% for Heroic Dungeons, way to easy to get
Spec - Whatever you prefer, just make sure to pick up Psychic Horror and Glyph of Psychic Scream
For max MC control you could spec something like this, although I skip Silence and Imp Psychic Scream for Shadowy Apparition
Macros - learn em, live em, love em
(Macro 1) This macro will focus your target as well as cast Mind Control on your focus target, Right click will remove the focus
#showtooltip Mind Control
#show Mind Control
/cast [button:1,target=focus,exists]Mind Control
(Macro 2) This macro will cast psychic horror on your focus target
/cast [target=focus] Psychic Horror
Learn how to use these tactics and macros
Depending on the size of the group you are prepairing to fight and the other CC available to your party you can use Mind Control to CC two targets, but most of the time only reliable for CCing one target.
On smaller groups where you will only be MCing one target:
- Be the player to "pull" the mobs - although letting crowd control start that cant be done in combat should come before the MC (sap)
- Let the mind controled target fight the other mobs until you MC is about to break or the Mind Controlled target DIES <key
- By this point hopefully the other CCs have gone off and the tank has picked up the remaining mobs now running you down
- If the MCd mob did not die from the other mobs attacking it, immediatly hit Psychic Horror (macro 2) and fear it in place, followed by recasting MC (macro 1)
- If more CC time is needed: Bring the mob close to you just as its about to break, as it breaks cast Psychic Scream again followed by your MC macro (macro 1)
- Many times the mob will not acctually die but will be so low on health that you can just let it go and burn it, leaving you able to MC another if need be
This situation is simple, Skull is the kill target, X is the secondary target, and diamond is the MC target. Priest pulls with MC, diamond fights skull and X until it dies or the 30 seconds of MC time lapses. Tank than picks up skull and X while diamond is either, dead, re-MC'd or burned if low enough on health.
On groups where you know you will need to keep the MC for an extended period of time:
- Same basic strat as previously stated, only difference being, instead of casting Psychic Horror (macro 2) on the first break of MC, pull the mob to you and cast Psychic Scream as I previously stated you would do on the second break.
- Than on the second break in MC cast your Psychic Horror (macro 2)
- By the time the third break in MC comes around you can pull the mob to you and cast Psychic Scream again as the cooldown will have completed
- If more time is needed beyond this you can always pull the target out to max range from you and recast MC before the mob reaches you, when dealing with melee
- If your dealing with a caster you can use Silence (using the same macro as Psychic Horror with "Silence" in place of "Psychic Horror") and keeping them at max range like a melee
- Something I have not done yet but probably will be doing is picking up Glyph of Psychic Horror and simply switching between terror and scream as needed and as long as you didnt break the MC to early, one will always be up.
On larger groups where you can MC two targets (5+ mobs):
- When going up against larger groups with limited CC, MC can effectively be use to CC two targets just as easily as one (in most cases)
- First focus the second target that you are going to be MCing
- MC the first target (using just the spell and not the macro) and let the other mobs kill your MC
- Tank can rush in and other CCs can go off at the death of your first target
- Now use your macro to cast MC on your second CC target that you previously focused
- Repeat steps for a single target MC as needed
This situation has the same Skull kill target and X secondary target. I also have Star as a sap target, Moon as a sheep target, Diamond as the initial MC target and Circle as the second MC target. To start this situation the priest would have circle as its focus target, but be ready to MC diamond. The rogue would start the encounter by sapping star, followed by the priest pulling the mobs by MCing diamond (using just the spell and not the focus macro). This pull will kill diamond and the tank should be ready to pick up the mobs and mage should be ready with sheep on moon as soon as diamond dies. After diamons dies cast you focus MC macro (macro 1) and pick up circle. Repeat fear and MC tactics as needed.
The fun Mind Controlling three targets strat (not highly recommended and limited areas of use)
- First off this MC technique will only work in certain areas where a fast removal of a target can be accomplished (The Vortex Pinnacle)
- Start the fight as if it were a larger group and you are MCing two targets
- After the first mob dies, the tank picks up the adds as you cast you MC (macro 1) on your second (focused) MC target
- Take this mob and simply run him off the edge of the platform
- Target your third MC target, cast your MC (macro 1) and go back to the strat of MCing one target
- This is not very effective as the mob you toss of the edge is not removed and will respawn, this generally takes some time and you should clear the other mobs before re-pop
This situation can be more hectic and is not suggested, but if your desperate . . . We again have Skull as the first kill target and X as the secondary. Moon is for any CC, in this case we will use sheep, Diamond is the first MC target, Circle is the second MC target, and Triangle is the third MC target. You would start this pull by setting your focus on circle, but start your first MC on diamond (with the spell again, not the focus macro). Diamond will die fast so the mage needs to be ready with its sheep on Moon and the tank needs to be quick gathering up the four other mobs. As diamond dies tho, cast your focus MC macro (macro 1) and pick up circle. In certain places (vortex pinnacle) you can quickly turn the mob to the ledge and jump him off. MC will break as the mob out ranges you, leaving you to turn to triangle and set it as your new focus and continue the fight as if it was a one MC fight with your fear and MC rotaions. Beware, circle WILL repop, but you should have pleanty of time to clear everything else first.
- The hard part, teaching your party how to use MC successfully
- This is by far the hardest part of MC as a form of CC, especially convincing a group that MC IS effective CC
- You need to inform the party that if you will be using the two CC method, that the need to wait until your first mob dies before rushing in to tank OR dpsing as MCs will generally not hold aggro over dpsers
- If at all possible, try and have your tank keep AOEs away from you so that you dont die mid MC or have the damage simply break your MC
- Always be prepaired for a learning curve when starting to use MC's in a new group, keep Psychic Scream off cooldown as much as possible to stop mobs from destroying you on a screw up and give the tank time to pick the mobs up
- If a tank is slow to pick up a group of mobs after your MC breaks or dies, or other CCs dont go off as they need to, Dispersion can be your best friend
- The mobs that are usually best to MC first are the healers, get them dead and out of the way allowing you to pick up a high dps mob second to use against the others. A post on Good MC Targets in Cata Heroics / Raids: http://www.shadowpriest.com/viewtopi...t=mind+control
- Another good CC macro to keep on hand for those undead, this will focus your target and Shackle Undead it, you are than free you dps another mob and recast at any time to reshackle your focus
#showtooltip Shackle Undead
#show Shackle Undead
/cast [button:1,target=focus,exists]Shackle Undead
Maybe with this imformation we can convince players that shadow priests are good CC and worth bringing into pugs as such!
Feedback and Suggestions are always appreciated