A few serious questions for the higher end boomkin math geeks

Hey guys, I'm a number cruncher myself, but I have a few questions regarding how some of our spells actually work.

- When clipping a non-eclipsed MF or IS with an eclipsed one, does the game recognize the dot as eclipsed now?
    - When clipping an eclipsed dot with a non-eclipsed dot does it take away the bonus damage?
    These two things alone would alter my rotation significantly.

- Is Starfall, hurricane, typhoon affected by their respective eclipse state?
    - Is the cycling of the eclipse state affected by a wrath/starsurge cast after it has been casted, or after it has hit the target?

Thanks for any possible information you may have.

Also has anyone noticed during a BL and with approx 1500 haste they are very near the Wrath haste cap (with NG)?
    Last edited by Aabrahm; 2010-12-23 at 12:47 AM. Reason: one other thing...

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I believe the Eclipse mechanic is altered when your casted abilities land, and that Starfall is effected by a Lunar Eclipse.

I'd appreciate a confirm however. Apologies to not knowing the rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Duke
    Hail to the King, Baby!
    Quote Originally Posted by Eye Heart GS View Post
    I remember a guy like you who used to go around forcing his beliefs on others. He started up a few camps in Germany back in the 40s and it didn't turn out well for him in the end.

Let this be a warning to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    If I recall correctly most (all?) of our abilities update in real time now so as soon as we lose a buff/debuff the effect changes. I could be wrong, however. I'm sure you can find the answer at themoonkinrepository though.

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    After it hits target
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Ford
    Thinking is the hardest work there is, which is probably why few engage in it.
    This explains a lot.

Deleted
    In before "We should stop reforging haste at 1500.."

Stop

Please, please, please don't start this expansion with more haste cap discussions. I beg of you! Even if your wrath is in fact at a 1 second cast time during bloodlust, it is completely irrelevant. You will burn through a solar eclipse quickly anyways, and bloodlust will affect your dots, starsurge and (once you proc lunar) starfire, so there will be plenty of spells that you can scale with. Furthermore, you have plenty of use for any of your haste when you're not in bloodlust.

no i didnt mean it like that at all Qieth, I was just surprised after all that we should never achieve haste cap talk. More of an observation. I realize I'm talking about a 2% of entire fight thing. Hardly anything to be concerned about. That was just one observation.

Also, has anyone noticed when eating from the goblin bbq we get dodge as the other stat buff?

- Yes
    - Yes
    - Yes
    - After it hits the target, but note that it doesn't require the target to be alive. A Wrath landing after a target is killed, will generate no damage, but push your Eclipse-O-Meter.

- And yes, my Wrath goes below 1 second during Bloodlust.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jodah View Post
    If I recall correctly most (all?) of our abilities update in real time now so as soon as we lose a buff/debuff the effect changes. I could be wrong, however. I'm sure you can find the answer at themoonkinrepository though.
    Sadly, this is not the case.
    Last edited by Cowt; 2010-12-23 at 09:56 AM.

Thank you all for your helpfulness.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aabrahm View Post
    no i didnt mean it like that at all Qieth, I was just surprised after all that we should never achieve haste cap talk. More of an observation. I realize I'm talking about a 2% of entire fight thing. Hardly anything to be concerned about. That was just one observation.

Also, has anyone noticed when eating from the goblin bbq we get dodge as the other stat buff?
    No no, I just wanted to steer us away from caps again :P

I had no problems with it boomkin or resto but our elemental shaman had this bug problem also getting dodge from BBQ.

Starfall and Hurricane do get affected by our eclipses. Unsure on typhoon as I never pay serious attention to it's damage.

Deleted
    Anybody else noticing our dots are not correctly scaling with crit?

Binomial Distribution Calculations:

Iterations: 3238
    Success: 428
    Cumulative Probability: P(X < 428): 0.000000925

(45% is, 55% mf, Crit = 0.1623, no set bonus)
    Last edited by mmocd7449ed493; 2010-12-24 at 09:07 PM.

I didn't, but our warlock and mage did. I do get dodge when I'm feral, though.

Is the bonus to eclipse put on your spell when you start casting it, or when the cast finish'es? Ex, I cast a wrath and I know that will push lunar eclipse. Should I now start casting a starfire because the wrath will land before the startfire cast is done, or should I simply cast another wrath that I will get off while the previous one is travelling to the target, and then start my starfire cast when I have actually entered my lunar eclipse? Hopefully that made sense lol

when you are going into your eclipse refresh IS and MF/SF in that order so you get the eclipsed dots

Quote Originally Posted by Puyobwoc View Post
    when you are going into your eclipse refresh IS and MF/SF in that order so you get the eclipsed dots
    IS isn't affected by lunar, wasting a GCD if you refresh it entering lunar.

Quote Originally Posted by xSilv3Rx View Post
    IS isn't affected by lunar, wasting a GCD if you refresh it entering lunar.
    True but you want to cast is first so mf benefits from natures grace