Thread: Spirit = hit?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Spirit = hit?

Is this true?

Depends what class you play and what spec you are.

For some classes, like Elemental Shaman and, I think, Shadow Priests, yes.

As a priest, boomkin and ele shammy as far as I know, yes.

Yes, for all hybrid classes, they get a talent that converts spirit into hit.

Edit: To be more specific: Shadow Priests, Boomkins, Elemental Shamans, and Holy Paladins (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    As has been stated, Shadow Priests, Boomkin, Holy Paladins, and Elemental Shaman get hit from spirit on a 1 for 1 basis (with talents). For 3 of the 4, this is so that they can share gear with the healspecs for their classes. All caster mail will have spirit on it, same with caster leather. Resto druids and shaman will have to share non set piece gear with their caster dps counterparts. For Holy Pallies, this is because several of their abilities rely on hitting the enemy (judgement, exorcism, etc) so they need hit, which wont be on caster plate.

So in short:

If a Mage or Warlock is wearing Spirit Gear, they are wrong.

10+ Year Old Account
    well im on a priest forum.. but thanks

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Twisted Faith - The major implications of how this talent was changed is that now we receive hit rating from spirit in a 1:1 ratio (20 spirit = 20 hit rating). This will lead us to possibly roll on what may be affectionately be referred to as healer gear. This talent leads to the idea that Shadow Priests may, and more than likely will, gain a part of their hit rating from spirit items to maximize their stat weights.

Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment View Post
    So in short:

If a Mage or Warlock is wearing Spirit Gear, they are wrong.
    The absolutely best part is when they say "I can just reforge it" and you tell them they can't reforge all of the spirit away so there is still a wasted stat which is fail when someone could put it to good use. The inevitable response is "idc" -_-

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Venjin View Post
    Holy Paladins (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong) get it.
    While true, it's pretty irrelevant. Holy Paladins take spirit for the spirit, the hit is just a nice bonus.

In short, we have absolutely no reason to ever roll on a hit item. Gogo spirit!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlebruddy View Post
    That is not entirely true. We will probably gain most of our hit from Spirit. However, we will probably need 1 or 2 items with Hit rating on it to get to the hit cap. Upgrades are upgrades. Good luck trying to pry them away from your Mages and Warlocks though.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    The absolutely best part is when they say "I can just reforge it" and you tell them they can't reforge all of the spirit away so there is still a wasted stat which is fail when someone could put it to good use. The inevitable response is "idc" -_-
    This, so hard. On my way to full 346 gear, I had at least 5 spirit pieces ninja'd by mages or warlocks claiming that they can reforge the spirit. Hell, one Mage even had the balls to claim that spirit gives mages regen, and "ask any mage, they'll tell you spirit is good for Mage regen"...how do these people get to 85 and still be complete dumb asses?
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-12-23 at 04:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I have had situations where even Mage-Guildmates of mine have taken Spirit gear from me. His reason was, "it helps my out of combat regeneration so I don't have to drink between pulls".

The pure fact of the matter is, we Shadow Priests are in a better position to "gear up" than our other cloth counter-parts. The difficulty lays in whether your guild lets you roll on hit gear, or makes you stick to spirit only gear. If you're stuck in the spirit only gear portion, I feel bad as usually the idea is Raid > Self; Meaning good luck on hit gear.

Sorry, pure DPS classes rolling on spirit gear for out of combat regen is ridiculous. The only time gear matters for anything is during raid encounters in which case they are in combat. There is no FSR any more, the spirit is wasted iLvl to the point that a lower tier item without spirit is superior even after accounting for reforging.

If the pure DPS classes dislike the fact the hybrid casters can use spirit as hit, then go direct your angst at the right target. The priests and druids in WoW didn't create the game rules... same goes for healers who think anything with spirit is exclusively theirs. It might as well read x spirit & x hit and they'll just have to direct their angst at blizzard or build a bridge.

The fact is people are selfish and this whole gearscore, aveage iLvl measure has opened a can of worms because you have people rolling on gear purely to increase their iLvl, it has nothing with them actually doing their role better.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    I don't disagree with you at all. My only point is that it CAN happen. Unfortunately in my situation, it happened with a guild-mate (a shitty guild-mate at that). My overall point is that it is a realization that Shadow Priests will have to deal with, as the masses may not be as clairvoyant as we are.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    The reality of the situation is that gear is more flexible now and can be used for a variety of roles and people are just going to have to use their best judgement on whether to roll on or accept a piece of gear in a dungeon or raid. Point in fact, all the threads about the dps rolling on the tank gear QQ, the tank rolling on the dps gear QQ, the healers blah blah blah.

If you're in a raid w/ your guild, it is the GM and ML job to decide who gets what depending on the best thing for the guild. As someone else pointed out on a different thread, the priority is probably going to go to tanks and healer right now w/ most spirit gear going to healers. If you are in a dungeon group and you had a badass/nice healer perhaps a spriest or boomkin could defer on a spirit item if the healer needs it. If you had a crappy healer, well, maybe you should still defer lol they obviously need it . Educating people is also a good idea. A mage rolled on a spirit item over a spriest and I pointed out that the spriest could probably use it more and the mage passed it over.

Use your best judgement!

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GeaMyaLor View Post
    The reality of the situation is that gear is more flexible now and can be used for a variety of roles and people are just going to have to use their best judgement on whether to roll on or accept a piece of gear in a dungeon or raid. Point in fact, all the threads about the dps rolling on the tank gear QQ, the tank rolling on the dps gear QQ, the healers blah blah blah.

If you're in a raid w/ your guild, it is the GM and ML job to decide who gets what depending on the best thing for the guild. As someone else pointed out on a different thread, the priority is probably going to go to tanks and healer right now w/ most spirit gear going to healers. If you are in a dungeon group and you had a badass/nice healer perhaps a spriest or boomkin could defer on a spirit item if the healer needs it. If you had a crappy healer, well, maybe you should still defer lol they obviously need it . Educating people is also a good idea. A mage rolled on a spirit item over a spriest and I pointed out that the spriest could probably use it more and the mage passed it over.

Use your best judgement!
    True that.

Quote Originally Posted by Littlebruddy View Post
    While true, it's pretty irrelevant. Holy Paladins take spirit for the spirit, the hit is just a nice bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Rivicen View Post
    Partiually true partially not. Mostly for two scenarios:

Scenario 1: You have 6 healers, yourself, and a mage in your raid. An item with spirit drops. Maybe it should go to a healer if its a big upgrade? You might be able to hold out for a hit item. And vice versa. 3 mages, 4 warlocks, and yourself, with 1 holy priest in the raid, you can probably afford to take a spirit item instead. Not that we should always pass on gear because of our hit rating flexibility, but just a judgement call

Scenario 2: Two wands (hypothetically). One has spirit and mastery, the other has hit and haste. I'd definitely prefer the hit/haste item.

That said, spirit is better than hit, for that out of combat regen, and a possible off-healing item.

Edit: Reviewing the context, I guess it looks like we're discussing the incompetence of pugs in 5mans, rather than the reasonable people we raid with. Yes take spirit gear from the mages, the warlocks, and the bad healers please.
    Wait, are you saying healers need hit? I read littlebruddy's comment as "We" as holy paladins.

10+ Year Old Account
    These mages n locks that want you spirt gear are probably the wotlk "badasses" that were the badies in bc if they even played then...

OT: spirt= hit for healing classes... is it just me or does blizz want healers to dps more?