Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ...
    Field Marshal
    Hi! how do i get information from the game?
    What im trying to do is, trigger the function when auras ara gained/lost (UNIT_AURA event)
    Now, how do i get the spellpower/haste/mastery or whatever to use them in my function?

note: what im trying to do is to use those stats and make the calculation of the dot damage, and to make it show on the screen.

words

Code:
    COMBAT_RATING_UPDATE SPELL_POWER_CHANGED UNIT_STATS

Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.
    Feel free to contact Ironi@Quakenet if you need help with your WeakAuras

Field Marshal
    Thank! That website was really helpful. One last thing, in order to display information on-screen. Do i use some of those API or is there something else to create like an interface?

UI & AddOns expert | Interface & Macros moderator - My work

There should be more visibility/support for addon creation in WoW, I mean, people can literally take their first steps into programming while developing addons for their game, seems a whole new perspective on it, thanks for the guide

Thanks for the guide! Awesome work! Helped me create my first addon

One thing that I think is missing, is how to extract the source code for Blizzard's interface and art. It is very helpful when adding something to the standard interface or using standard textures.

Maybe just a link to wowpedia's "Viewing Blizzard's interface code".

Again, thank you
    Author of addon "Kibs Item Level" on Curse.

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but would someone mind getting me started on making an addon that will send data to the LCD display on a G15 or similar Logitech keyboard? There is an existing applet for WoW in the logi software, but it has no configuration options so all it does is show data from your character sheet. Someone in the Logitech forums suggested that an addon would be required to send custom data to the LCD such as DPS, iLvl, in-game alerts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but would someone mind getting me started on making an addon that will send data to the LCD display on a G15 or similar Logitech keyboard? There is an existing applet for WoW in the logi software, but it has no configuration options so all it does is show data from your character sheet. Someone in the Logitech forums suggested that an addon would be required to send custom data to the LCD such as DPS, iLvl, in-game alerts, etc.
    You can't do that: there is no way for an addon to communicate data out of WoW or into WoW dynamically. The existing support stuff was hard-coded in by Blizzard, and is all you can get access to. Sorry.

(Technical note: WoW isn't really secured against side-channel attacks such as display scraping to exfiltrate data, but that isn't really relevant to the answer. Just heading off the "you are technically correct, the best kind of correct" comments.)

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    You can't do that: there is no way for an addon to communicate data out of WoW or into WoW dynamically. The existing support stuff was hard-coded in by Blizzard, and is all you can get access to. Sorry.

(Technical note: WoW isn't really secured against side-channel attacks such as display scraping to exfiltrate data, but that isn't really relevant to the answer. Just heading off the "you are technically correct, the best kind of correct" comments.)
    Oh well it was a fun idea at least. I can probably find an addon that displays a small "bragging rights" type display somewhere in game that just lists current DPS bigger and flashier than Skada and only for me. Having it on the main window would be a stepping stone to putting in on the display later on if I really wanted to try scraping.

edit: This guy claims you're wrong, and now I'm super curious. forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Keyboards/Where-are-the-applets/m-p/1370548#feedback-success
    Last edited by joe7dust; 2015-03-03 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
    Oh well it was a fun idea at least. I can probably find an addon that displays a small "bragging rights" type display somewhere in game that just lists current DPS bigger and flashier than Skada and only for me. Having it on the main window would be a stepping stone to putting in on the display later on if I really wanted to try scraping.

edit: This guy claims you're wrong, and now I'm super curious. forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Keyboards/Where-are-the-applets/m-p/1370548#feedback-success
    Wow. Thinking laterally, you *could* actually do something useful: the WoW combat log text file (and chat text file) are written out while you are in game, and can be followed by an external application. So, anything that turns up in them could be used to push data into the LCD. That would at least allow, eg, DPS to be calculated and show, at the cost of gradually filling up your disk.

Otherwise, I guess maybe they scrape memory out of the process? Sounds like a bad idea to me, but technically possible, I guess? Maybe? (...or maybe it just pretties up the data that WoW sends. I don't know the technical details of how the LCD works to know if that could be done.)