Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Hi! how do i get information from the game?
    What im trying to do is, trigger the function when auras ara gained/lost (UNIT_AURA event)
    Now, how do i get the spellpower/haste/mastery or whatever to use them in my function?

note: what im trying to do is to use those stats and make the calculation of the dot damage, and to make it show on the screen.

words

Code:
    COMBAT_RATING_UPDATE SPELL_POWER_CHANGED UNIT_STATS

15+ Year Old Account
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.
    iKeystones, iLFRDescription, iEncounterEventTracker

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Thank! That website was really helpful. One last thing, in order to display information on-screen. Do i use some of those API or is there something else to create like an interface?

Deleted
    There should be more visibility/support for addon creation in WoW, I mean, people can literally take their first steps into programming while developing addons for their game, seems a whole new perspective on it, thanks for the guide

Deleted
    Thanks for the guide! Awesome work! Helped me create my first addon

One thing that I think is missing, is how to extract the source code for Blizzard's interface and art. It is very helpful when adding something to the standard interface or using standard textures.

Maybe just a link to wowpedia's "Viewing Blizzard's interface code".

Again, thank you

Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but would someone mind getting me started on making an addon that will send data to the LCD display on a G15 or similar Logitech keyboard? There is an existing applet for WoW in the logi software, but it has no configuration options so all it does is show data from your character sheet. Someone in the Logitech forums suggested that an addon would be required to send custom data to the LCD such as DPS, iLvl, in-game alerts, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
    Not sure if this is the right place to ask for help, but would someone mind getting me started on making an addon that will send data to the LCD display on a G15 or similar Logitech keyboard? There is an existing applet for WoW in the logi software, but it has no configuration options so all it does is show data from your character sheet. Someone in the Logitech forums suggested that an addon would be required to send custom data to the LCD such as DPS, iLvl, in-game alerts, etc.
    You can't do that: there is no way for an addon to communicate data out of WoW or into WoW dynamically. The existing support stuff was hard-coded in by Blizzard, and is all you can get access to. Sorry.

(Technical note: WoW isn't really secured against side-channel attacks such as display scraping to exfiltrate data, but that isn't really relevant to the answer. Just heading off the "you are technically correct, the best kind of correct" comments.)

Quote Originally Posted by SlippyCheeze View Post
    You can't do that: there is no way for an addon to communicate data out of WoW or into WoW dynamically. The existing support stuff was hard-coded in by Blizzard, and is all you can get access to. Sorry.

(Technical note: WoW isn't really secured against side-channel attacks such as display scraping to exfiltrate data, but that isn't really relevant to the answer. Just heading off the "you are technically correct, the best kind of correct" comments.)
    Oh well it was a fun idea at least. I can probably find an addon that displays a small "bragging rights" type display somewhere in game that just lists current DPS bigger and flashier than Skada and only for me. Having it on the main window would be a stepping stone to putting in on the display later on if I really wanted to try scraping.

edit: This guy claims you're wrong, and now I'm super curious. forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Keyboards/Where-are-the-applets/m-p/1370548#feedback-success
    Last edited by joe7dust; 2015-03-03 at 02:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by joe7dust View Post
    Oh well it was a fun idea at least. I can probably find an addon that displays a small "bragging rights" type display somewhere in game that just lists current DPS bigger and flashier than Skada and only for me. Having it on the main window would be a stepping stone to putting in on the display later on if I really wanted to try scraping.

edit: This guy claims you're wrong, and now I'm super curious. forums.logitech.com/t5/Logitech-G-Keyboards/Where-are-the-applets/m-p/1370548#feedback-success
    Wow. Thinking laterally, you *could* actually do something useful: the WoW combat log text file (and chat text file) are written out while you are in game, and can be followed by an external application. So, anything that turns up in them could be used to push data into the LCD. That would at least allow, eg, DPS to be calculated and show, at the cost of gradually filling up your disk.

Otherwise, I guess maybe they scrape memory out of the process? Sounds like a bad idea to me, but technically possible, I guess? Maybe? (...or maybe it just pretties up the data that WoW sends. I don't know the technical details of how the LCD works to know if that could be done.)

I'm looking to make a very simple addon that only puts a dot on the map (M) at very specific locations, such as a rare spawn areas. I don't need any fancy text, just a dot to remind me where the areas are.

Quote Originally Posted by Bathrezz View Post
    I'm looking to make a very simple addon that only puts a dot on the map (M) at very specific locations, such as a rare spawn areas. I don't need any fancy text, just a dot to remind me where the areas are.
    I think HandyNotes with the xpac-appropriate plugin would be your best bet. They don't put dots on the map, though. There are little icons. You can make them more dot-like and less obtrusive if you go into the HandyNotes.lua file and lower the icon_scale value. That's right at the top of the lua document.

Edit: I'm dumb and just checked the in-game HandyNotes config. You can change it all there, no need for the lua
    Last edited by Everlu; 2015-10-17 at 11:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everlu View Post
    I think HandyNotes with the xpac-appropriate plugin would be your best bet. They don't put dots on the map, though. There are little icons. You can make them more dot-like and less obtrusive if you go into the HandyNotes.lua file and lower the icon_scale value. That's right at the top of the lua document.
    Yeah! I want to make something like handyNotes but filled with less crap.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bathrezz View Post
    Yeah! I want to make something like handyNotes but filled with less crap.
    You can filter a lot of the stuff it shows in the in-game options. Like you can have it show only rares and make the indicators smaller.
    That is not dead which can eternal lie.
    And with strange aeons even death may die.

this addon was fixed in here previously but it has since went dark again due to updates. i have sunk a few nights into online help sites trying to decipher what should be changed. I forgot to copy the fixed version i had before i reformatted a month ago. when it was originally fixed on curse ages ago there were only a few changes to the bottom few lines if i remember right. this is been a month long thorn in my side. i hope someone much smarter than i can swagger in here and type it right out. thanks in advance to all.

function SellSound_OnEvent()
    if ( event == "ADDON_LOADED" and arg1 == "SellSound") then
    DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("SellSound 2.4 loaded!");
    end
    if event == "CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM" and strfind(arg1,"A buyer has been found") then
    PlaySoundFile("Interface\\Addons\\SellSound\\cashregister.mp3");
    end
    end

local Sell_EventFrame = CreateFrame("Frame");

Sell_EventFrame:SetScript("OnEvent", SellSound_OnEvent);

Sell_EventFrame:RegisterEvent("CHAT_MSG_SYSTEM");

Sell_EventFrame:RegisterEvent("ADDON_LOADED");

thanks for your help but that did not do the trick. Loaded it up this morning and sold some things, no sound. I am not getting the loaded message as well. put a few more hours in to it last night and just feel like i am beating my head against a wall. maybe one more person would like to have a go? maybe someone is running it working and can post a copy of theirs thanks again in advance

i have it running and am waiting with crossed fingers for something to sell or a buddy come on line. will keep you updated and thanks again for your assistance!!

A small improvement to prevent future problems from arising, make the function local.

Code:
    local function SellSound_OnEvent(_, event, ...)
    "I have not failed, I simply found 10,000 ways that did not work." - Thomas Edison

nothing sold last night and noone on i could make buy something from me.lol made the change to make it local and am going on now to check. will post back shortly

edit - logged on and it says that i has loaded! feeling good about this. will post back after something has sold.

edit - works like a charm. Thank you so much for taking time out of your day to help!! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you guys
    Last edited by tutie69; 2015-12-15 at 11:43 PM.