Frost and the new Cataclysm Skills?

Now that I have been somewhat around, doing normal instances and gearing up for heroics, with a dw Frost mainspec(2H frost off-spec for testing out). I am kind of wondering what use some of the new Cataclysm skills have for Frost, I see the use of one or two, but not as much for the others(specially one in particular).

Outbreak: Very Usefull, an honest to god usefull disease applyer when facing multiple targets and your runes happen to be on Cooldown, no problem here.

Necrotic strike: Not so Usefull PvE-wise, presumedly more leaned towards PvP situations, I actually love this skill, when I occassionally do some world PvP(and sometimes, on dummies, I just try to see how far it stacks). Up till now, havn't had bosses with major healing.

Dark Simulacrum:Not so Usefull PvE, presumedly leaned towards PvP situations, but it's just incredibly fun to use in PvE as well(mostly while soloing, just to see what you can nab from the NPCs). It is an effective "silence"/interrupt in PvP situations. Many casters don't want you to use their skills, and some of those actually stop casting, smarter ones might cast something completely useless for you.

Festering Strike: ...
    Here is where I doubt the usefullness, given the correct specc, specially with Epidemic, why would a frost Knight use it? It costs a potential obliterate by using a Frost Rune(+ a Blood RUne). Ontop of that, with the aid of Epidemic, you have a longer disease up time, which means more tries to get your Rime Procc(which is often enough). As we know, Rime results in a free Icy Touch/Howling Blast, and, when glyphed in howling blast, effectively counts as a reset for your Frost Fever. One Unholy Rune for Plague Strike, which completely resets the Blood Plague, sounds better for a Frost Knight, than an already ticking Blood PLague getting lenghened by 6 seconds.
    And honestly? I don't see the use for Unholy Knights either, though, since I stopped with Unholy since Cataclysm, I don't have much to say about that.

So, if someone would be kind enough to explain, correct me, criticize, or share their own thoughts about this, feel free to do so.

Note: this is specifically aimed towards the frost specc, as the title implies.

Special thanks to Katana Angel for the lovely signature, check out the other things, at "Request a Signature" thread.

Necrotic Strike is for pvp, Dark sim is for pvp, Festering Strike is for unholy. Festering works for unholy because the BF cost compliments the new solo U cost of scourge strike.

Festering strike only exists to give unholy something to use frost runes with, the other specs don't use it.

Necrotic strike isn't worth using as frost apart from if you need a cast speed slow debuff.

Outbreak saves you an unholy rune every 33 seconds on static fights, and has minor situational usefulness because of the range.

I'm yet to find anything worth dark simming from raid bosses which is more than expected, but there are some nifty things you can copy in heroics and you can find a lot of them in the dark simulacrum thread.
    Last edited by Shiira; 2010-12-23 at 10:41 AM.

Ya festering strike is used in place of blood strike for Unholy DK basically. For any other spec its only ever used very situation-ally like mainly in PvP
    Smile

Necrotic Strike is very useful in PVE. The 30% slow on casting is very useful for managing Interrupts. The slow down on the cast bar is very noticeable. Outbreak is a great opener for bosses as it pulls no threat. Dark Sim is PVP, PVE wise I am sure Tanks could have fun with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthraxxxis View Post
    Necrotic Strike is very useful in PVE. The 30% slow on casting is very useful for managing Interrupts.
    I would caution against this tactic as it's truly not necessary. You'd be better off maintaining your dps to down the mob faster while interrupting normally.
    Quote Originally Posted by kumduh View Post
    @Wingwraith: You can haz a point too, but only because you admit you're a tool!

Ive been extremely dissapointed with the cata skills for my Frost DK which has been my main since it was available.
    I still love my DK but the skills are rather useless for PVE which sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Wingwraith View Post
    I would caution against this tactic as it's truly not necessary. You'd be better off maintaining your dps to down the mob faster while interrupting normally.
    Necrotic has many situational PVE uses: e.g. if used on the self healing Adepts in VP, they can actually be interupted when they have that insane haste buff on them.

As a tank, I might as well pop this on all casting trash mobs. DK DPS may want to use it more sparingly, but still, useful tool.