The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account

wats the spell pen cap for arena/rated bgs?

took 30 min trying to ask in guild, and trade chat is a bunch of bastard trolls when u ask a real question, anyone online to answer this real quick so i know what to reforge?

spell pen cap is the maximum amount that bufs can give you. trolololo!
    nah srsly shaman totams give 190 ish so aim for that?

If I'm not completly wrong you should have the same amount of spell-pen that for example paladin resistance aura would give you resistance.
    Don't know exact number from that but I think it's around 195.

get epic pvp +201 Spell pen cloak and thats it

http://www.arenajunkies.com/showthread.php?t=218648

If any of this is inaccurate let me know, none of the data I found on WoWhead/MMODB seems reliable...

Resistance effects and values @ 85:
    Mage Armor: 45 (confirm?)
    Mark of the Wild (Druid): 136
    Blessing of Kings (Paladin): 136
    Elemental Resist Totem (does not affect shadow) (Shaman): 195
    Shadow Protection (Priest): 195
    Resistance Aura (Paladin): 195

There are also racial (Undead, Draenei, Worgen etc.) effects that now give +85 Shadow Resist @level 85 instead of -% chance to be hit. Apparently these don't stack with the resist buffs anymore; for example, an Undead with Shadow Protection will still only have 195 Shadow Resist instead of 280. So extra pen/hit won't be necessary for these anymore.

Spell hit: 4%, racial penalties are gone and so is the +hit talent we used to have in 3.0, so with 102.5 hit rating for 1% spell hit at 85 (that's the value I found at EJ), you should be aiming for 410 hit rating unless all your friends are Draenei.

Curse of elements reduces resistances by 183 at 85, so you can basically rely on keeping that up for the majority of Spell Penetration needs, but with the buggy way Jinx works and the value of the utility curses (CoEx/CoW/CoT) I think I will prefer gemming the Spell Pen on my gear for the time being. If you'd prefer to rely on CoE alone, read no further. Also, I think the Mage Armor bonus is now minor enough that the main goal should just be 195.