Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    Like the title says, every thread i go into i hear someone else talking about how the next xpac will be the emerald dream xpac. By this i assume they are referring (as many do) that we will fight our whole next expansion in the emerald dream.

For convenience i'm gonna post http://www.wowwiki.com/Emerald_Dream

As many know the emerald dream has been in the game since it's launch and there are plenty of videos about people running around in it and it's different zones. I can only assume this has led tons of people to assume that at least one point we will use all this content in an xpac. However there are several problems with this:

1. The zone for those of you who have seen it in videos, doesn't look finished in the least. It's a skeleton of a zone and that in no way implies future use for it. It was probably created almost 6 years ago by now and hasn't been altered with sense then. Some ideas do get scrapped, and it happens very often. I understand why people would believe they would want to use the zone, but because of the next few points you'll see why i think otherwise.

2. Yes the zone is huge, but there is a problem with the zone inherently. It's essentially a blueprint of azeroth if no intelligent beings had ever done anything to it. Meaning there are no inns to put your hearth at, there are repair vendors, no buildings period, no real intelligent life other than the occasional druid and dragon. And to make buildings in the emerald dream would essentially be a lore massacre like something that has never been done in WoW. It'd be like if deathwing walked up to alexstraza in their final fight gave her a huge hug and cookies and then said i surrender.

3. There's only real 1 enemy: The nightmare. The dream is void of all intelligent life other than, the nightmare, druids, and the dragons. That would make a pretty boring expansion that focused solely on one boss especially when there is more than one way to get to him. Yes they could make random bosses, but that seems highly unnecessary when we could do it another way. Unless I'm mistaken blizzard has said that the old god behind the emerald dream is connected to the malestrom. Meaning that there's probably more than one way to get to this old god. So i purpose some other idea...

Emerald dream should be a raid. Something along the lines of we go into it and kill the Old God connected to it all. It'd make a lot more sense i feel like and would keep us away from having to spend a year or so in a world with no real cities or intelligent life.

If anyone has any real good opinions on why this should be an expansion then i'm more than willing to hear them.
    1) ofcourse it isnt finished. Why would it. Do you think Northrend and Outland were finished 5 years ago?

2) that will all change knowing blizzard. They can just retcon the entire thing like forces have invaded blabla, horde and alliance seek domination blabla, they set up camps. Look what they did to outland/northrend. It didnt look like that in the past.

3) see above, more retcon. They can introduce plenty with some kind of "lore" behind it. There are tons of examples introduced in northrend/outland.

If you ask me, the next expansion will be Emerald Dream, featuring Azhara and some old god and after that return to the Burning Legion but now with Sargeras/Pantheon, the final expansion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Azshara has literally nothing to do with the Emerald Dream.. v.v

Deleted
    YES! OH GOD YES!

Stop with the fucking Emerald Dream!

The ED is a very specific ... scenario and has just recently faced and defeated the biggest (and only afaik) danger it has ever faced, in an event that affected the entire world, all people. Yes, we didn't see it but it did happen in the lore. Yes, a tiny bit remains in the Chasm of whatever but they now know exactly what and where it is and should be able to keep it under control.

Why would the ED face yet another huge danger so soon? The whole Nightmare thing was HUGE because it was so special, unique, never seen before etc.

I can definitely see a Emerald Dream (raid) instance, possibly in this Chasm, dealing with the remnants of the Nightmare. But not a whole ED expansion, absolutely not. Entering the ED in a physical form was another HUUUGE thing, they stressed its importance and how rare and hard it was. Suddenly tons of nameless adventurers would be able to just stroll in there?

An Emerald Dream Expansion makes absolutely no sense to me. Did not do so before Stormrage, makes even less sense now after Stormrage.
    Last edited by mmoca812163483; 2010-12-24 at 01:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    1. The zone for those of you who have seen it in videos, doesn't look finished in the least. It's a skeleton of a zone and that in no way implies future use for it. It was probably created almost 6 years ago by now and hasn't been altered with sense then. Some ideas do get scrapped, and it happens very often. I understand why people would believe they would want to use the zone, but because of the next few points you'll see why i think otherwise.
    It has been altered, several times. Additional content has been added since vanilla. There isn't much there granted but it hasn't been forgotten. Also keep in mind that the dream is comprised of several zones, that's zones with a 's' meaning plural.

Yes the zone is huge, but there is a problem with the zone inherently. It's essentially a blueprint of azeroth if no intelligent beings had ever done anything to it. Meaning there are no inns to put your hearth at, there are repair vendors, no buildings period, no real intelligent life other than the occasional druid and dragon. And to make buildings in the emerald dream would essentially be a lore massacre like something that has never been done in WoW. It'd be like if deathwing walked up to alexstraza in their final fight gave her a huge hug and cookies and then said i surrender.
    Zones! Secondly Northrend didn't have much in term of intelligent life either but there were still plenty of Alliance and Horde "outposts" that we were able to use. The same could EASILY be done in the Emerald Dream. Alliance and horde outposts combined with neutral outposts setup by the green dragonflight and the cenarian circle. Buildings could be grown instead of built in many of these neutral areas, I don't think I need to explain building construction in Alliance and Horde outposts.
    There's only real 1 enemy: The nightmare. The dream is void of all intelligent life other than, the nightmare, druids, and the dragons. That would make a pretty boring expansion that focused solely on one boss especially when there is more than one way to get to him. Yes they could make random bosses, but that seems highly unnecessary when we could do it another way. Unless I'm mistaken blizzard has said that the old god behind the emerald dream is connected to the malestrom. Meaning that there's probably more than one way to get to this old god. So i purpose some other idea...
    The Nightmare is the product of the old god N'Zoth. Nor would the nightmare be the only villians in the emerald dream. The Arakkoa are suggested to have a strong connection with the dream. Remember that Anzu is summoned from the dream to outland when you do the druid epic flight form quest line. Proving the connection. Lore can be adjusted to accommodate their influence into the dream.

Furthermore there are creatures in the dream that don't exist in Azzeroth. I would assume in a world with no native sentient life the creatures inhabiting it would be more massive and more deadly than any found in Azzeroth. Plus with the influence of the old god N'Zoth there's no telling what kind of bosses could be cooked up.

Another faction that could easily be in the dream are the Furblogs, humm that is intresting. We know that the Furblogs practice druidism. So they should know about the Dream. Timbermaw Hold has been quiet ever since vanilla. The entrance to their underground city used to be in Azshara but now it's gone ever since the cataclysm. Maybe they could have a larger role in the Emerald Dream as well.

Emerald dream should be a raid. Something along the lines of we go into it and kill the Old God connected to it all. It'd make a lot more sense i feel like and would keep us away from having to spend a year or so in a world with no real cities or intelligent life.
    Considering the size of the Emerald Dream it would make MORE sense to turn it into an expansion set. When you add in all the possible factions, The Green Dragonflight, another Cenarian Expedition group, The Arakkoa, the Timbermaw, plus whatever Horde or Alliance factions spring up you can start building quite a well thought out expansion. This also includes the fact that there are 5 portals into the dream as it. It kinda makes sense for these portals to be entrances into different planes of the dream itself. Remember the dream in many parts is incomplete. The dream was used by the Titans to test out variations of Azzeroth, so there is bound to be numerous amounts of diversity in the zones within the dream.

Speaking of the Titans there has bound to be some Titan ruins in the dream as well considering it was used as a testing ground by them. I'm sure Bronzebeard would be interested in finding those Titan ruins.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhywolver View Post
    You are probably right, an emerald dream expansion may be as boring as an underwater expansion. Only everything green instead of everything blue.
    Why would the emerald dream be all green? If your talking about the videos showing the current content you should know that the green color is a placeholder color. It's what the game world looks like without textures. The emerald dream would have a variety of colors and textures, not all of it green.

The Emerald Dream would be all green just like Outland would be all red.

Draenor was always described in the Warcraft lore, prior to The Burning Crusade's release as, "a dark, red world."

However, the only red zone was Hellfire Peninsula. They changed the lore, to make it more interesting and enjoyable (though how enjoyable the zones in BC were is quite debatable).

Deleted
    Yeah I mean the good thing about the last expansions was - as much as there was a theme through all of it, Scourge, Burning Legion, Twilight's Hammer and Deathwing, the zones were all over the board. They varied pretty much. In Cataclysm none of the zones looks like the rest.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think the emerald dream will be coupled with with the southern islands as well as nazajatar

the emerald dream will prob be 2 zones or 1 zone with a raid in the rift

Blizzard hinted at Blizzcon I think, that the Old God responsible for corrupting Deathwing is N'Zoth, and that N'Zoth is also the mastermind behind the Emerald Nightmare. Seeing as this expansion is about Deathwing, why wouldn't the next be about the thing that corrupted Deathwing in the first place. Just my two cents.

10+ Year Old Account
    This Xpac rumor has been going nuts for 6 years

NTM this email i got!

"Dear Player

Congratulations you have won beta access to the Emerald Dream Beta testing, this is a extremely limited access for certain amount of numbers, and you have been accepted.

Please go to <some website> and fill out the details to join

Blizzard Entertainment"

Yep, good fakes
    Australian Oceanic Multi Class Veteran of the Burning Crusade Wars!
    Twitter: @Romiretv
    Youtube: RomireTv
    Twitchy: My Twitch

15+ Year Old Account
    So, where are these "youtube videos" of people getting into the Emerald Dream? And how can you even do that?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

Quote Originally Posted by Master Guns View Post
    So, where are these "youtube videos" of people getting into the Emerald Dream? And how can you even do that?
    It was possible before but it isn't now. The emerald dream exists in our game files but it is unfinished and unaccessible

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syronicus View Post
    It was possible before but it isn't now. The emerald dream exists in our game files but it is unfinished and unaccessible
    u can also go to hellfire by doing somthing at the deadmines portal

btw its a really werid ass hellfire not the one were used to

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    u can also go to hellfire by doing somthing at the deadmines portal

btw its a really werid ass hellfire not the one were used to
    They fixed that now

Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    They fixed that now
    It wasn't hellfire btw

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Syronicus View Post
    But how WAS it possible?

Check out the directors cut of my project SCHISM, a festival winning short film
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiHNTS-vyHE

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Romire View Post
    They fixed that now
    yea its fixt now but it used to be not.

also most of the emerald dream stuff is likly fixt aswell

10+ Year Old Account
    But how WAS it possible?
    Private servers

The fact that you started a thread about it is somewhat ironic.

This will not stop the discussion. Blizzard can do whatever they want, the can twist everything and still make an Emerald Dream expansion. (I for one hope there will be a CoT instance about it, with some follow up in this timeline)

Quote Originally Posted by ManjiSanji View Post
    The Emerald Dream would be all green just like Outland would be all red.

Draenor was always described in the Warcraft lore, prior to The Burning Crusade's release as, "a dark, red world."

However, the only red zone was Hellfire Peninsula. They changed the lore, to make it more interesting and enjoyable (though how enjoyable the zones in BC were is quite debatable).
    I actually liked them

But how WAS it possible?
    Green Smoke on the mountainside of Hyjal, I heard the trick was to sit and stand on it quickly or something like that. All I know is that the green smoke was the key. Possibly telling you that if you smoke enough, you'll get transported to a magical dream land where everything is green.
    Last edited by Syronicus; 2010-12-24 at 09:41 AM.