10+ Year Old Account

How to tank and kill Whale Shark

Whale Shark
    Level ? Boss
    780631 - 11159297 Damage
    110920 Armor
    9686250 Health
    Cannot be tamed
    Whale Shark is the giant behemoth that patrols the underwater zone of Vashj'ir and like the Fel Reavers of Hellfire Peninsula, Whale Shark has the uncanny ability to sneak up on unsuspecting players. Unlike the Fel reavers, Whale Shark has an achievement. This guide will talk you through tanking, kiting, and killing Whale Shark.

• The first step tanks are going to want to take is to go and get an addon that will display your range from a mob. I used rangedisplay from curse.com. Set it up however you like, but you're going to want Whale Sharks distance from you up front and center.

Rangedisplay addon in action.
    • Tanking Whale Shark involves some heavy kiting. You should be constantly moving away from Whale Shark. If you linger too close to Whale Shark, he will one shot you, regardless of class or gear. The closest you're going to want to get to whale shark is 9 meters. At the same time that you're staying away from Whale Shark, you don't want to venture too far. If you get too far away from Whale Shark, he will reset. The furthest you can go is 20 meters. It's best to stay at 19 though, to avoid risking it.

• Practice with Whale Shark. It's gonna take a little bit of practice to master maintaining the necessary range. Remember- 9-19 meters. There are two methods to doing this. The first is the one I prefer using- the turning method. You face away from Whale Shark while swimming away, then turn and face him when you need to attack, then turn and swim away again. The second method is just to swim backwards while attacking him. Whichever you use, even just a couple minutes of practice will prepare you to not fail once a group is formed.

• Making the initial pull: The initial pull needs to be done from teeth level of Whale Shark. Just swim right up to his grill, about 30 meters out, then wait for him to come into your ideal tanking range. Do not pull from above or below this area. The reason for this is that the vertical range is not as accurate as the horizontal one and even when your range addon says you're far enough away, your run from the graveyard will say something different.

This is all you should be looking at when you pull.
    • Build threat before letting dps do their thing. I recommend making them wait for at least a minute. If you have rogues, they can start ToTing you on cd. Same with hunters and MD. When dps does begin, they need to do so slowly. Omen is incredibly useful in this fight and dps needs to pay close attention to their threat. Periodically, or whenever they begin to creep up on the tank, dps can reset their agro by swimming out of range of Whale Shark.

• Take Whale Shark towards the surface. There are fewer mobs up there to agro. If you have issues with your camera clipping above and below the surface, settle for a few meters below. While kiting Whale Shark watch your map, or assign someone to watch their map and give you directions to avoid dragging him out to a fatigue area.

• DPS should be resetting their agro, but if somebody does pull, tanks can get Whale Shark back under control. Tanks need to get back in the ideal tanking range(9-19 meters) and get a successful taunt off. In this situation, tanks need to be extremely cautious not to get too close.

The above information is for all tanks and groups. Occasionally, dps will be unable to locate a tank for their group. Have no fear- Because Whale Shark is kited, he does not require a traditional tank. Any class can tank and kite him. He can even be solo'd be anyone with the appropriate amount of time and patience. Below is information for groups without a traditional tank. Bear in mind, all of the above still applies.

• For a group without a traditional tank, I recommend two or three of the highest agro classes in the group go ahead and get an addon to display their range. Rangedisplay is what I use. Again, feel free to configure it how you like.

• I'm going to put a lot of emphasis on stacking. Place raid markers on your tanks and stack the entire group on those markers. A group without a traditional tank will be lacking the taunts available to other groups. When everyone is stacked on top of each other and somebody pulls off of the tanks, a taunt will be unnecessary because they'll all be stacked. Additionally, stacked groups have a higher chance of survivability when somebody pulls agro than if everyone is spread out.

• Drop agro. Drop agro, drop agro. As I mentioned before, dps can drop agro by simply swimming out of Whale Sharks 20 meter hitbox. Dropping agro will result in a cleaner kill and a smaller repair bill.

Here is the video tutorial outlining the above information, and showing it all put to use.

You should now be well on your way to your achievement.
    Last edited by NoPantz; 2010-12-24 at 04:23 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    haha very nice guide. im gonna try to solo him a dk :P 170k hp

Good guide, wish I had looked at it last night when we were trying it ;P

I'm guessing meters are the same distance as yards right?

Quote Originally Posted by Bombkirby View Post
    I'm guessing meters are the same distance as yards right?
    in WoW: yes

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shetty30 View Post
    haha very nice guide. im gonna try to solo him a dk :P 170k hp
    Blatently didnt read the guide, he ones shots you

Quote Originally Posted by Noetical View Post
    Blatently didnt read the guide, he ones shots you
    Peew, glad someone saw it. I was like; what?

Deleted
    Who needs a tank, just solo him!
    I guess every ranged class is capable of solo'ing it. Solo'ing it is one of the most nervebreaking tasks I've ever done. It took me exactly 40 minutes to down it, carefully swimming in the right space, hoping you don't swim into another Whale Shark (there are at least 3 of these beast splashing about)

-----------
    Try 1: it goes fine, a bit unsure about what will happen, but everything goes well.
    After 5 minutes (8750k health left), you look behind you and you see a big fish going your way. Another Whale Shark! Quickle adjusting your path so you don't hit him, you make a sharp turn and you get into range of the former one. Receiving a 'normal' hit of 700k makes quick work of your hopes.

Second try:
    The start is fine, and you were able to avoid the second whale as well, without getting yourself one-shotted. Having the whale at 40% after 22 minutes, you notice that you have been swimming downwards for a long time, and you want to get yourself back to a nice level. Swimming up, you see the whale closing, the meters dropping fast! The moment the rangedisplay says 8 yards you almost pissed your pants and you turn around trying to swim toward the 20 yards range, but you cross it. Result: you see the whale bobbing around aimlessly, evading all your attacks.

But you are not giing up yet!

Try 3:
    Pulled wrong, getting hit by 1,5 mil.

Try 4:
    Wrong spot to pull, after 5 minutes you enter the fatigue-zone, and while trying to leave it you reset it.

Try 5:
    Frustrated and tired (it has been 2 hours since you started) you give it one more shot, not willing to give in. Carefully moving around, avoiding everything that might or might not interupt your travels, you feel confident.
    20 minutes you've been swimming this time, and you feel your fingers getting stiff, partly because of being tired, but also because of the constant backswim. Still managing your way around, you get him to 24%. Your hands are getting sweaty, you need to go to the bathroom and the dog is chewing on your feet, but you keep going!
    At 10%, sweat is pouring out of your body, making your keyboard look like it has been put in a bucket of water, your feets are bleeding and the dog is chewing on something what seems to be one of your big toes.
    At 1% you've lost every sence of your surroundings, the only thing in your mind is that awefully big mouth at wich you've been starring for the past 39 minutes. Not even looking at rangedisplay anymore, you instinctivily move backwards, while getting the last bits from his health.

Guildmembers are yelling why you don't react, angry wishpers ending with /ignore are popping up like there is no end to it and your parents are trying to break your keyboard free from your grasp when suddenly you see the Big White Guy tip over. An Achievement pops up, and it seems you did it. Even though you can't see clearly, are now socially expelled, missing one-and-a-half-foot, your keyboard is dripping stuff off wich you didn't know it existed, you did it.

Now go to sleep!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Volviga View Post
    I guess every ranged class is capable of solo'ing it. Solo'ing it is one of the most nervebreaking tasks I've ever done. It took me exactly 40 minutes to down it, carefully swimming in the right space, hoping you don't swim into another Whale Shark (there are at least 3 of these beast splashing about)

-----------
    Try 1: it goes fine, a bit unsure about what will happen, but everything goes well.
    After 5 minutes (8750k health left), you look behind you and you see a big fish going your way. Another Whale Shark! Quickle adjusting your path so you don't hit him, you make a sharp turn and you get into range of the former one. Receiving a 'normal' hit of 700k makes quick work of your hopes.

Second try:
    The start is fine, and you were able to avoid the second whale as well, without getting yourself one-shotted. Having the whale at 40% after 22 minutes, you notice that you have been swimming downwards for a long time, and you want to get yourself back to a nice level. Swimming up, you see the whale closing, the meters dropping fast! The moment the rangedisplay says 8 yards you almost pissed your pants and you turn around trying to swim toward the 20 yards range, but you cross it. Result: you see the whale bobbing around aimlessly, evading all your attacks.

Try 3:

Try 4:
    Wrong spot to pull, after 5 minutes you enter the fatigue-zone, and while trying to leave it you reset it.

Try 5:
    Frustrated and tired (it has been 2 hours since you started) you give it one more shot, not willing to give in. Carefully moving around, avoiding everything that might or might not interupt your travels, you feel confident.
    20 minutes you've been swimming this time, and you feel your fingers getting stiff, partly because of being tired, but also because of the constant backswim. Still managing your way around, you get him to 24%. Your hands are getting sweaty, you need to go to the bathroom and the dog is chewing on your feet, but you keep going!
    At 10%, sweat is pouring out of your body, making your keyboard look like it has been put in a bucket of water, your feets are bleeding and the dog is chewing on something what seems to be one of your big toes.
    At 1% you've lost every sence of your surroundings, the only thing in your mind is that awefully big mouth at wich you've been starring for the past 39 minutes. Not even looking at rangedisplay anymore, you instinctivily move backwards, while getting the last bits from his health.

Guildmembers are yelling why you don't react, angry wishpers ending with /ignore are popping up like there is no end to it and your parents are trying to break your keyboard free from your grasp when suddenly you see the Big White Guy tip over. An Achievement pops up, and it seems you did it. Even though you can't see clearly, are now socially expelled, missing one-and-a-half-foot, your keyboard is dripping stuff off wich you didn't know it existed, you did it.

Now go to sleep!
    ROFL
    Best description of soloing

B.E.R.T.H.A. yells: AFFIRMATIVE, CUPCAKE!

Deleted

-----------

Second try:

Try 3:

Try 4:

Try 5:

Now go to sleep!
    This made made lol so hard! Have to raid tonight and tomorrownight, but I know where I will be spending my Saturday... :')

Deleted

-----------

Second try:

Try 3:

Try 4:

Try 5:

Now go to sleep!

This is exactly what WoW is all about. Destroying everything else for a brief couple of hours, to get a stupid achievement with no gold or epic items included. THE FUN.

AWESOME. Glad you downed it!

10+ Year Old Account
    Easy mode tactic

Use instant cast spells

Swim backwards.

armory stockli on bladefist realm for evidence.
    Stockli = Me
    Bladefist = Home

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Priestamgpwn View Post
    ROFL
    Best description of soloing
    Best description of anything. That was an epic little read. Grats to him on soloing it.
    For the Alliance!

Deleted
    Thanks fo the guide

10+ Year Old Account
    Says the video was removed by user?
    Stockli = Me
    Bladefist = Home

15+ Year Old Account
    Thanks for the tip on using RangeDisplay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwI7jXrtFo

WarcraftPriests.com - The Shadowlands Priest Community Website

Join over 100,000 Priests on our partnered Discord server: Warcraft Priests

15+ Year Old Account
    If you linger too close to Whale Shark, he will one shot you, regardless of class or gear.
    I actually managed to survive one hit with Last Stand + Shield Wall which bought us some more precious seconds, since we did it the 40 man zerg way.

Deleted
    Should also advise people trying this on a PvP realm to only do so when it's late/quiet. When you get it to 5% after soloing for ages only to have some druid swim up and pounce you, you really do want to slap him in the face with a whale shark.

Nice guide other than that though, rangedisplay is what made it very simple when I did it on both shadow priest and fire mage.

THis was pretty interesting.