Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Poor time intervals between expansions / *lore*

Yes, this is a qq post and i dont care if you dont like it.
    Im finding it hard to believe that in the matter of a few years we have ventured to outland and gone to war with the burning legion, then after our success there we were attacked by the scourge and attacked the lich king and his forces and put him to a end.
    NOW in cata, were at war between factions and the twilight forces all over azeroth.
    Sorry blizzard, i dont see how within the matter of a few years weve been constantly at war.

Next xpac, i would like to see something like ''many years after deathwings defeat (if we do defeat him) _____ _____ blah blah blah.''

world of WARcraft

10+ Year Old Account
    Why? The fact that you assume it's only been a few years without them specifying time is surely the point?

WOW time =/= our time.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.
    This is why people ban guns. Gun supporters don't know what guns are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zhangfei View Post
    Why? The fact that you assume it's only been a few years without them specifying time is surely the point?

WOW time =/= our time.
    i know the lore, it hasent been exactly all that long.

10+ Year Old Account
    lore wise its actually 2 years also

in cata some dude says its been 10 years since hyjal (no u retards not the cot one)

so it was 4 years to hit vanilla
    2 years later we had tbc
    2 years later we had wotlk
    2 years later we had cata
    2 years from now and ingame we will kill some thing new

blizz is going by rl shockingly enough

also the prince was roughly 10 years old in vanilla, he is 16 now.
    Last edited by GennGreymane; 2010-12-24 at 08:53 AM.

Obviously you don't know the lore..theres like 5 years between each xpac....o.O

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NickIsRidic View Post
    Obviously you don't know the lore..theres like 5 years between each xpac....o.O
    u commented so quickly u didnt see my math

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tilatequila View Post
    i know the lore, it hasent been exactly all that long.
    How long has it been exactly, then? I'm under the impression it's at least twice as long as our time.
    In fact as far as I'm aware the UK is the only european nation that outright bans guns for civilians.
    Shotguns I'll give you (provided you're allowed 12 and larger gauges... because I mean... come on...) but not .22s.

10+ Year Old Account

WOW time =/= our time.
    But it's similar. He has kind of a point between Wrath and Cata, but between BC and Wrath, it was becoming apparent that the Burning Legion had lost control of the Lich King, so once we routed Illidan's forces and beat KJ back from the Sunwell, the racial leaders decided that it was time to deal with Arthas, since the Shattered Sun and the Shattrath factions had most of Outland's stuff covered, with a little help from 10-25 random adventurers.

Anyway, we spanked Arthas, and roughly a year afterward the world exploded because Neltharion ate too many Volcano burritos.
    Quote Originally Posted by Abolishment View Post
    Hakto: English is an evolving language. When I say "I am gay", some people choose to interpet that as "he defines himself as gay, gay, and nothing but the gay, so help him Robot Unicorn Attack".

Dreadlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    It won't work with lore either way. You think that so many evens couldn't happen in a short amount of time, well explain your character still being alive if every expansion was "many years after _____ defeat"
    Quote from: Thallidomaniac on March 28, 2010, 05:56:24 am
    Our characters are wearing the same pair of underwear, since like, Level 1. Damn that's unsanitary as hell.

10+ Year Old Account
    i haz math yet no 1 cares its even basic math

10+ Year Old Account
    oh so you want wars in wrath to be like real world wars?

Maybe one of the races first decides not to enter the war for one or two years. Then one of the parties of the war attacks the race which did not enter the war. Then some diplomacy talks. Maybe the race decides to enter the war. More diplomacy talk. More war. Some technological research along with it? More war. One of the enemy party gets defeated. Some more diplomacy talks. Other parties get defeated. Then the victors occupy the defeated lands.

Wow, isn't that going to be a bit boring?

"King Varian, you wish to make war on my people!? You shall have your war, human. You will see the fury of the Horde rage through your cities. You will see your throne split in two! This I swear!" -Thrall, patch 4.2.0

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by GennGreymane View Post
    I saw it but I don't recall the "some dude"

Timeline from the BC manual, the latest mention of any timeline from Blizzard themselves:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_%28TBC%29

Unofficial timeline compiled from various sources:

http://www.wowpedia.org/Timeline_%28unofficial%29

We know that WoW takes place five years after Warcraft 3 (there's actually sources that say 4, and others that say 6, so I'm just going to average that out). It's confirmed that the events of vanilla happen over the course of a year, from Blizzard themselves. There's a quest that mentions that it's been a year since the death of the Lich King. It's also mentioned that it's been a decade since the events of the frozen throne.

I don't think it's too far fetched to take what we have and assume that each installment happens over the course of a year.

10+ Year Old Account
    I saw it but I don't recall the "some dude"
    the satyr in hyjal

says hyjal was 10 years ago.

and if that got changed

the prince was 10 in vanilla and is now 16

Deleted
    Thats because its wrong, it was 10 years "Since" Outland not Hyjal your cutting of around 6 years saying it was Hyjal

maybe there should me more story patches that showed Twilight Hammer slowly expanding and things like that instead of just leaving all to just the xpac.

Only thing that really was messed up is Cairne dying in book and the Emerald Dream stuff being resolved in a book also. Blizz needs to stop that.

10+ Year Old Account
    the satyr in hyjal

says hyjal was 10 years ago.

and if that got changed

the prince was 10 in vanilla and is now 16
    There are too many time displacements among different things to get a strict timeline, basically, and I think Blizzard want it that way. Want the prince to be 16? Yay! Want the playerbase to feel events took 6/7yrs to finish? Yay!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Some Cool Guy View Post
    Thats because its wrong, it was 10 years "Since" Outland not Hyjal your cutting of around 6 years saying it was Hyjal
    what........
    "A decade ago, a great battle took place here on the summit of Mount Hyjal. Archimonde the Defiler commanded a swarm of demons to march upon the World Tree and claim its power for his own.
    His defeat signaled the Legion's invasion of Azeroth... But many of his corrupted supporters remained behind"
    http://www.wowwiki.com/Quest:If_You%27re_Not_Against_Us...

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    next expansion = main content is leveling and professions.
    the game gets renamed world of facebook.
    PvP stops.
    Since u don't want to be at war all the time.