Page 1 of 2
LastLast

worth to cast pyro for dot without hot streak?

question in title,
    thanks

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes it is in my opinion, if you start casting just before the pull you wont lose any dps time and if it crits you already got a nice bit of ignite rolling I noticed tho, that on conclave of wind anshul interupts any casts at the start so that was anoying xP

Nimryas - EU-Kazzak ~ My youtube channel

how about casting pyro during encounter to reapply dot, is it worth dps wise?
    or is keeping to rotation and waiting for hotstreak proc more efficient?
    havent seen thread about this and i am really interested.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would say that a full cast time Pyroblast would be a DPS loss. I've barely looked in to fire yet though.
    Quote Originally Posted by BattlemasterSkarab View Post
    GOD's ARMAGEDDON and DOOM'S DAY!!!!!!.... Imagine that...
    4 apocalyptic horsemen
    Sky turned red
    Sun turned black
    All WoW servers down

If ur aoeing, And ur impact proccs, its worth casting a pyro on one of the mobs in grp then puting lB and combustion and hiting impact. in my opinion

On the pull and to use an Impact Combustion (for example on the whelps with Halfus) are the only two times I can think of where this would be a good idea.

If you're in combat and you don't get a hot streak, Pyroblast is not worth it.
    It's too much of a DPS loss just for an extra DoT.

Deleted
    Dunno tbh - afaik EJ calculations about stats do not take casted pyro dot into consideration, only from hot streaks (which is now at low uptime due to low crit) - so perhaps if we take it, mastery would become more desired ? Actually wouldn't be much surprised seeing how blizz was trying to make ALL spells usefull (especially healer's healing ones), therefore they might want us to use casted pyros aswell.

Yeah but just speculating - no numbers from me.
    Last edited by mmoc8c38b7d291; 2010-12-25 at 08:10 AM.

Simcraft only showed it to be a dps increase for about 2-3 days and then it was found that it was a modelling error and that you should only use it with HS.

The only reason why you want to hard cast is if you need to spread the DoT with impact or possibly to set up combustion.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

The only reason to cast pyro is to LOL 1shot critters. Having said that, you should only HS pyro's.

Deleted
    Feels like a baddie with drilling this topic but weren't EJ calculations made for perfect situation, no movement ? If so - when you got fight with relatively heavy movement and with rarity of hot streaks - wouldn't (again with high enough mastery) casting pyro over one or two fb provide more dps with it's dot ?

See, right now I can't check numbers by myself so these questions may be completely noobish - but still I would really enjoy if normal pyros were viable.

Quote Originally Posted by Avezo View Post
    Feels like a baddie with drilling this topic but weren't EJ calculations made for perfect situation, no movement ? If so - when you got fight with relatively heavy movement and with rarity of hot streaks - wouldn't (again with high enough mastery) casting pyro over one or two fb provide more dps with it's dot ?
    No, that's what scorch is for.

I tried it and it does seem like a good idea. However put fillers between the pyros.

What I do is I cast pyro at the beginning, if that doesn't crit -> Living bomb -> flame orb
    Then another hard cast, followed by a scorch... and so on.

The scorch fillers allow me to see whether pyro critted or not before i hard cast another one.. in addition to hoping for a HS proc from the scorches.

I also tried to nuke with pyro.. doesn't seem like much of dps loss. So early pyro spam wouldn't hurt and it would let you combust big very early in the fight.. which would allow you to combust again in 3+ minutes fights.

Don't think a pyro crit would take too long. I personally have 33.40% crit rate with pyros self buffed. Gotta be some unholy luck to keep spamming for 20 seconds with no crits.

A more optimal solution would be to fireball as long as the dot is up there. But then again, I loathe fireball and I think I'll just drop it off my action bars. Scorch <3

You know this actually seems like a really good question. Looking through the answers it is really hard to tell but as I have only been dealing with random heroics I haven't been looking through damage calculations but always try to have the DoT up. I think we are fairly DoT based, especially when it comes to combustion but the cast time is pretty huge.

Honestly your best bet (as this is all subjective to your Crit and Haste ratings) is to run one heroic doing that and one not, see if they are comparable (you can't compare the Altairus fight to Rajh, etc...) and see which one did more damage. Is this the most effective or statistically reliable test? Not really. Will it do until we have absolute and concrete numbers otherwise? I think so. A
    One day I look forward to seeing full grown adults realize that their averse reactions to levity and positive/contemplative expressions of emotion are a cry for therapy.

High Overlord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faerillis View Post
    You know this actually seems like a really good question. Looking through the answers it is really hard to tell but as I have only been dealing with random heroics I haven't been looking through damage calculations but always try to have the DoT up. I think we are fairly DoT based, especially when it comes to combustion but the cast time is pretty huge.

Honestly your best bet (as this is all subjective to your Crit and Haste ratings) is to run one heroic doing that and one not, see if they are comparable (you can't compare the Altairus fight to Rajh, etc...) and see which one did more damage. Is this the most effective or statistically reliable test? Not really. Will it do until we have absolute and concrete numbers otherwise? I think so. A
    Do more than one heroic, do a couple then find the averages that way.

good idea i shall try

It is a DPS gain to hard-cast Pyroblast to keep the DoT up.

well if you cast pyro instead of fireball, that fireball that you would've cast would've maybe crit and just maybe just maybe you got lucky and proc'd hotstreak with just one crit.

Deleted
    It's about casting pyros for dot, not replacing fb with them (that would hurt hot streaks even though they are rare anyway).

try casting fireball isntead of pyro
    its hard to get a crit with pyro the first time