Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ...
3
4
5
6
7
... LastLast
  1. #81
    For all the people asking about every individual processor: Look up the specs of your processor. Then read the OP. It's a google search away.

  2. #82
    Any of.the amd quads which do not have ht will use 14 as the mask value.

  3. #83
    Hacks are just that. Hacks. Standard settings are known to work well together. Change your registry settings at your own risk. You may be sending the next 5 hours rebuilding your PC.

  4. #84
    Couple of questions. I'm using two different computers to play WoW on so I need to edit my Config.wtf for each.

    I play on my MacBook Pro, which has an Intel Core2Duo Penryn... which does not have hyperthreading on it. So for this computer I would use:

    Code:
    SET processAffinityMask "5"
    The other computer I play on is my desktop, which has an Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield, which also does not have hyperthreading. So here I would use:

    Code:
    SET processAffinityMask "14"
    (Your guide's TL;DR section says "15", but the chart posted on page 1 says that "14" would give me cores 2, 3, and 4... which is what I want.

    Secondly, in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\MSMQ\ registry key, I do not have a "Parameters" folder. How do I add this folder in order to add the TCPNoDelay d-word?

    Love this guide. I've been extremely frustrated that I have a quad core CPU and WoW only seems to use the 1st core while the other 3 cores sit at nearly idle. This guide just made my day!

  5. #85
    I have to mention, it seems pretty dumb to me that you cann't fix the original post with your guide when there's some mistakes in it. Particularly since you won. I'm running a c2d e6600, so I should be set to 3(default) but the original post says to set to 5 for any dualcore

    Dualcore with HT- 5
    Dualcore without HT - 5
    But great job anyways, I forgot to mess with my setting after a recent format.

  6. #86
    Titan Synthaxx's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Rotherham, England/UK
    Posts
    12,889
    Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    Isn't the processAffinityMask CVAR outdated as of 3.3.2?
    http://www.wowpedia.org/CVar_processAffinityMask seems to suggest it is, unless you're trying to disable certain cores.

    Also, TCPAckFrequency does nothing on Windows 7 (there isn't even a registry entry for it). Windows 7 handles connections in a much more efficient manner than XP/Vista by default.

    The rest of your information is quite useful though.
    Actually, TcpAck is in W7, i just believe the key isn't created by default. However, adding in the entry DOES lower latency in WoW from my personal testing with little to no side effects. While people may say otherwise, i did notice a definate improvement when adding in the key, as opposed to when it wasn't present.
    Coder, Gamer, YouTuber - Thoughtcloud | YouTube - Latest: BF4 - AWS : AWSHIT BROTATO!
    Knows: Delphi, PHP, WQL/SQL/MySQLi, Python, jQuery, HTML, CSS | Learning: Ruby + Sinatra
    Phrases: Can't Replicate | Check StackOverflow | F*ck your illiterate elsif

    PC: 750D / 16GB / 256GB + 750GB / GTX670 / 4670K / Z87X-UD4H | Laptop: 8GB / 120GB + 480GB / GTX765M / 4700MQ

  7. #87
    this is some good STUFF thanks you, it was really helpful, i keep picturing the snapple commercial as i was reading your post

  8. #88

    Max value for affinity?

    Does anyone know the max value that is supported by this option? I'm running one of the next Intel i7 hexicore CPU's that also support HT. This gives me a total of 12 cores displayed in task manager. Using the last three cores here would be 1344 if my binary is correct. I dont know if WoW supports values over 256 however.

  9. #89
    Setting PAM(processAffinityMask) to 56 on an AMD Phenom x6 1055T, as well as setting gxApi to d3d11 for my ATI Radeon HD 5870 netted me about 12-15 fps increase while sitting in stormwind near the trade AH. (Rather laggy area on my realm, not sure about anyone elses)
    Not sure why my system is still running much lower than it should though. I have 6gb of ddr3 ram, 2 in each channel. The rest of the hardware I stated earlier. The windows experience index lists my hard drive as my lowest factor, I'm using a Western Digital WD1001FAES which is suppose to have been some kind of performance drive? at least thats the sales slogans they came up with for it. It has a 64mb cache, and is on SATA 3g/s.
    But at any rate I still have pretty large frame spikes when rotating my camera, as well as lowered frames in high pop areas and in large raid situations. I also suffer from screen tearing pretty bad when rotating the camera.

    I use 1920x1080, with 4x AA on. I used to play in fullscreen with vsync on (at 60hz) but recently I switched to windowed cause I now run a multi monitor setup (the problems pre-date the new setup) and wow in fullscreen won't let your mouse go offscreen so I'm stuck in full windowed mode now.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 10:44 PM ----------

    I can play any other game without much issue, and without screen tearing, etc. Games much more graphically intense like MW2/Black Ops/Medal of Honor.


  10. #90
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonguerot View Post
    Does anyone know the max value that is supported by this option? I'm running one of the next Intel i7 hexicore CPU's that also support HT. This gives me a total of 12 cores displayed in task manager. Using the last three cores here would be 1344 if my binary is correct. I dont know if WoW supports values over 256 however.

    also use 12 cores (i7-970) and would like to know if i use 1344

  11. #91
    Quote Originally Posted by bavarcarus View Post
    I have to mention, it seems pretty dumb to me that you cann't fix the original post with your guide when there's some mistakes in it. Particularly since you won. I'm running a c2d e6600, so I should be set to 3(default) but the original post says to set to 5 for any dualcore



    But great job anyways, I forgot to mess with my setting after a recent format.
    I didnt win.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 11:04 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Lilruff View Post
    also use 12 cores (i7-970) and would like to know if i use 1344
    I made a post like a page ago.

    And yes that is the number I calculated out. I think it will work. Only one way to find out. Test.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 11:06 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by FattyXP View Post
    Setting PAM(processAffinityMask) to 56 on an AMD Phenom x6 1055T, as well as setting gxApi to d3d11 for my ATI Radeon HD 5870 netted me about 12-15 fps increase while sitting in stormwind near the trade AH. (Rather laggy area on my realm, not sure about anyone elses)
    Not sure why my system is still running much lower than it should though. I have 6gb of ddr3 ram, 2 in each channel. The rest of the hardware I stated earlier. The windows experience index lists my hard drive as my lowest factor, I'm using a Western Digital WD1001FAES which is suppose to have been some kind of performance drive? at least thats the sales slogans they came up with for it. It has a 64mb cache, and is on SATA 3g/s.
    But at any rate I still have pretty large frame spikes when rotating my camera, as well as lowered frames in high pop areas and in large raid situations. I also suffer from screen tearing pretty bad when rotating the camera.

    I use 1920x1080, with 4x AA on. I used to play in fullscreen with vsync on (at 60hz) but recently I switched to windowed cause I now run a multi monitor setup (the problems pre-date the new setup) and wow in fullscreen won't let your mouse go offscreen so I'm stuck in full windowed mode now.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 10:44 PM ----------

    I can play any other game without much issue, and without screen tearing, etc. Games much more graphically intense like MW2/Black Ops/Medal of Honor.
    Probably your screen resolution.

    And the more modern games have better engines. Wow is based of a crap WC3 engine, it is kind of limited as far as what it can render.

    I notice that as well though. I can run far more graphics intensive games and sometimes I experience video lag in WoW. I really have no explanation for it other than the fact wow is....old..

  12. #92
    That would defeat the purpose of avoiding the virtual cores provided by HT as the OP states a few times throughout this discussion. You want to limit the affinity to the logical cores only, which is where the 84 came from.

  13. #93
    Quote Originally Posted by zalvi View Post
    this is some good STUFF thanks you, it was really helpful, i keep picturing the snapple commercial as i was reading your post
    lol why? I dont watch much TV. No time between work / class /wow/ life etc.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 11:11 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Tonguerot View Post
    Does anyone know the max value that is supported by this option? I'm running one of the next Intel i7 hexicore CPU's that also support HT. This gives me a total of 12 cores displayed in task manager. Using the last three cores here would be 1344 if my binary is correct. I dont know if WoW supports values over 256 however.
    you would be 100% accurate glad to see someone thinking outside the box and doing it on their own.

    That is the number I came up with as well. I do not know about any limitations. I would image it would work though. Give it a try and post back plz.

  14. #94
    Quote Originally Posted by Strunker
    Probably your screen resolution.

    And the more modern games have better engines. Wow is based of a crap WC3 engine, it is kind of limited as far as what it can render.

    I notice that as well though. I can run far more graphics intensive games and sometimes I experience video lag in WoW. I really have no explanation for it other than the fact wow is....old..
    Older should run better on new hardware, not the other way round! If I load up wc3 it runs like a dream! lol

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 12:15 AM ----------

    Oh well I'm about ready to quit anyhow, won't matter when I'm playing non-mmo games.


  15. #95
    on 12 cores with HT use 1360 or 1344

    i don't exactly understand who told any of you that wow only runs on 3 cores MAX. did someone tested it? i don't think it's true. if you look in advanced task manager you can see that wow uses many threads, for my wow around 48(propably a lot of addons :P )
    basically every thread gains processor time assigned by operating system scheduler, each of this threads can be assigned to any of the Cores you all have
    and what we want to achieve is to get WoW running on the last Cores you have, so that Core1 and Core2 will be WoW-free and because of that not being used
    so when any fantastic system task starts when you play will be directly assigned to those cores not interfering with your gameplay

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 01:48 AM ----------

    couldn't edit ...

    if you want to check if values over 255 are supported simply add any value higher than that to your config.wtf
    then open the game, normally log in, exit game
    now open your config.wtf and check if the SetAffinityMask line is still added and with which value

  16. #96
    The Patient Nivius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Sweden
    Posts
    204
    human eye only ses 32 fps? thats bullshit, and most gamers know it...

    pick up any old CRT screen, put it on 60 fps.
    change it to 85 or more

    you WILL se a diffrance

    the only reason its not noticable nowdays is cuz the LCD's never show any black screen like the old CRT, but its still is noticable!
    ( •_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

  17. #97
    Quote Originally Posted by ihaz View Post
    on 12 cores with HT use 1360 or 1344

    i don't exactly understand who told any of you that wow only runs on 3 cores MAX. did someone tested it? i don't think it's true. if you look in advanced task manager you can see that wow uses many threads, for my wow around 48(propably a lot of addons :P )
    basically every thread gains processor time assigned by operating system scheduler, each of this threads can be assigned to any of the Cores you all have
    and what we want to achieve is to get WoW running on the last Cores you have, so that Core1 and Core2 will be WoW-free and because of that not being used
    so when any fantastic system task starts when you play will be directly assigned to those cores not interfering with your gameplay

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 01:48 AM ----------

    couldn't edit ...

    if you want to check if values over 255 are supported simply add any value higher than that to your config.wtf
    then open the game, normally log in, exit game
    now open your config.wtf and check if the SetAffinityMask line is still added and with which value
    That means absolutely nothing...

    First off.

    Secondly, If you read the OP, 3 core support was introduced in patch 3.1.

    I tried to do a google search, dont know why since I really dont need to prove anything to you, and all you get is links to the old forum that no longer work.

    Most people will say that wow only has support for dual cores, but this is wrong. 2.4 brought dual core support, and 3.1 brought tri core support.

    I am just going to not acknowledge anything else you say because quite frankly you are either dumb or clueless. I cant decide which.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 01:32 AM ----------

    I will continue to respond to people's individual requests via PM. I will likely not be browsing this thread since I would rather not have to skim through silly retard posts in order to actually get to the legitimate ones.

    Thankyou all for your interest in the article, never expected to have such a strong response.

    -strunk

  18. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Nivius View Post
    human eye only ses 32 fps? thats bullshit, and most gamers know it...

    pick up any old CRT screen, put it on 60 fps.
    change it to 85 or more

    you WILL se a diffrance

    the only reason its not noticable nowdays is cuz the LCD's never show any black screen like the old CRT, but its still is noticable!
    If you put it on 60 fps and it stays there and it goes up to 85 you won't notice anything. If you think otherwise youre an idiot. Facts disprove your "beliefs"

  19. #99
    Quote Originally Posted by xile View Post
    If you put it on 60 fps and it stays there and it goes up to 85 you won't notice anything. If you think otherwise youre an idiot. Facts disprove your "beliefs"
    This topic has already been beaten to death earlier in the thread.

    Some people claim to notice differences at higher dps values.

    Me, personally, I am a normal 24 year old. Not a super human. I dont notice a difference if the fps is higher than what a movie plays at, ~30FPS.

    Who am I to judge what other people feel though.

    ---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 01:53 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by strunker View Post
    This topic has already been beaten to death earlier in the thread.

    Some people claim to notice differences at higher dps values.

    Me, personally, I am a normal 24 year old. Not a super human. I dont notice a difference if the fps is higher than what a movie plays at, ~30FPS.

    Who am I to judge what other people feel though.
    fps not dps.. durpa

  20. #100
    Sorry if this has been answered before, but if I do not see this CVAR, Set ProcessAffinityMask="3", can I just add it to the list?

    I have an i5 m460.
    - Nom Nom

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •