Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Deleted
    Hello i'd like to thank you first of all for this great guide!
    Now here is what i've been trying to do:

I want to make a macro that will Wind Shear or Purge Target of target with modfier beening shift key; for some reason its not working. What i tryed is:

#showtooltip
    /cast ["at"targettarget,harm,exists] [mod:shift] Purge; Wind Shear

but it only purges no matter if i have the shift key pressed or not.

What am i doing wrong?

Is it even posible to do what i want?

first time replying so i used "at" insted of the symbol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wafe View Post
    /cast [@targettarget,harm,exists] [mod:shift] Purge; Wind Shear
    i think it's because you can't just write the "[mod:shift]" after the conditions.
    i don't know if it's possible at all or how to do it, but you could of course just make to single macros with two single keybindings ;]

Deleted
    yes i gues that will work aswell if i have no other choice, this method however was more clean

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    #showtooltip
    /cast ["at"targettarget,harm,exists] [mod:shift] Purge; Wind Shear

but it only purges no matter if i have the shift key pressed or not.

What am i doing wrong?

Is it even posible to do what i want?

first time replying so i used "at" insted of the symbol
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift, 'AT'targettarget,harm] Wind Shear; ['AT'targettarget,harm] [] Purge;
    I could be wrong, but this SHOULD cast Wind Shear on your target's target if you have shift down, and Purge otherwise. If your target's target isn't hostile it'll cast Purge at your target instead.

The issue with your original macro was that you used [ ] brackets twice before the first spell, what this does is create two separate ways to trigger that one spell.

Again, using 'AT' instead of the symbol due to low post count.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildmane View Post
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift, 'AT'targettarget,harm] Wind Shear; ['AT'targettarget,harm] [] Purge;
    I could be wrong, but this SHOULD cast Wind Shear on your target's target if you have shift down, and Purge otherwise. If your target's target isn't hostile it'll cast Purge at your target instead.

The issue with your original macro was that you used [ ] brackets twice before the first spell, what this does is create two separate ways to trigger that one spell.

Again, using 'AT' instead of the symbol due to low post count.

Thanks mate its exactly what i wanted thou i will change the order so that shift mod for purge insted its all good. that alot of the help

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ah, my bad. I wasn't sure what spell you wanted on Shift, but it's pretty easy to switch around.

Glad to hear it's working for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    since there seem to be quite a few people here who are versed with macros, what about the "!" condition?

for example:
    Code:
    #showtooltip Death Strike
    /cast !Rune Strike
    /cast Death Strike
    i'm not really versed myself, but as far as i know, it would mean runestrike is only used if possible, but ignored if not possible, which can be handy in quite a few macros. or am i wrong?^^
    No, the ! operator is only for toggled skills, such as Stealth, Shadowform, warrior stances, paladin auras, etc. It will cast said spell only if it isn't already active.

first of all: great guide!! Its very simple to learn, I could do mouseovers macros very easely after this!!
    Thank you!!

but i have a doubt about a simple macro:

#showtooltip
    /cast Hymn of Hope
    /y Casting <<Hymn of Hope>>

is there a way to only yell "Casting <<Hymn of Hope>>" if i actually AM casting the spell??

like if i couldnt cast Hymn of hope for any reason (if im stunned, moving, casting other spell...) the macro wont display the message?

i was just wondering cause it happens a lot during dungeons and raids... sometimes i have to spam the button a lot of times until my char casts, and its annoying to a message for each time...

---------- Post added 2011-01-18 at 07:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by joaohaik View Post
    first of all: great guide!! Its very simple to learn, I could do mouseovers macros very easely after this!!
    Thank you!!

but i have a doubt about a simple macro:

#showtooltip
    /cast Hymn of Hope
    /y Casting <<Hymn of Hope>>

is there a way to only yell "Casting <<Hymn of Hope>>" if i actually AM casting the spell??

like if i couldnt cast Hymn of hope for any reason (if im stunned, moving, casting other spell...) the macro wont display the message?

i was just wondering cause it happens a lot during dungeons and raids... sometimes i have to spam the button a lot of times until my char casts, and its annoying to a message for each time...
    Oh, and I also want to use that for a ground target spell, like Lightwell (dunno if it matters...)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by exquisite View Post
    No, the ! operator is only for toggled skills, such as Stealth, Shadowform, warrior stances, paladin auras, etc. It will cast said spell only if it isn't already active.
    oh okay, thanks

Using a modified version of what was posted in this thread

#showtooltip Tranquility
    /cast Tranquility
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Tranquility" then SendChatMessage("CASTING TRANQUILITY", "SAY") end end) f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED")

I tested it with Tranquility, but you can edit it to say Hymn of Hope or whichever you were after. If you're channelling and you spam the macro, it'll spam text at 1line/sec instead of 50lines/sec Also if you're not casting the spell at all or if it's on CD, it won't spam it. The macro basically MUST see the spell going off or it refuses to work.

The macro on the linked page needed a target to go off (it had an "if there's a target AND this specific spell is cast" condition) , I editted that out, but you should read the other macro too in case you'd like to use it for GS /PI etc.

---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 10:54 AM ----------

Hm I can't edit my own posts, anyway I tested that macro again, it keeps spamming so long as the spell is being channelled. Don't know of a workaround for that, aside from that addon that was linked in the thread.

---------- Post added 2011-01-19 at 10:55 AM ----------

ok these forums are weird for editting posts <_>

Deleted
    Question mark: quality of my wow life greatly improved.
    Thank you, op.

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to make a macro that will Wind Shear or Purge Target of target with modfier beening shift key; for some reason its not working. What i tryed is:
    Code:
    #showtooltip
    /cast [mod:shift, @targetoftarget, harm] Wind Shear; Purge
    That should work.

Quote Originally Posted by wafs View Post
    #showtooltip Tranquility
    /cast Tranquility
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Tranquility" then SendChatMessage("CASTING TRANQUILITY", "SAY") end end) f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED")

I tested it with Tranquility, but you can edit it to say Hymn of Hope or whichever you were after. If you're channelling and you spam the macro, it'll spam text at 1line/sec instead of 50lines/sec Also if you're not casting the spell at all or if it's on CD, it won't spam it. The macro basically MUST see the spell going off or it refuses to work.
    i tried witht he following:

#showtooltip Lightwell
    /cast Lightwell
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Lightwell" then SendChatMessage("CASTING <<LIGHTWELL>> PLS CLICK ON IT IF YOU NEED HEALTH!!!", "SAY") end end) f:Regis

and this

#showtooltip Hymn of Hope
    /cast Hymn of Hope
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Hymn of Hope" then SendChatMessage("CASTING <<HYMN OF HOPE>>", "SAY") end end) f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED")

both didnt work, error message but the spell was cast
    and the message wasnt sent...
    anyone knows why?

tks for the tip btw!! =D

10+ Year Old Account
    Change this:
    #showtooltip Lightwell
    /cast Lightwell
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Lightwell" then SendChatMessage("CASTING <<LIGHTWELL>> PLS CLICK ON IT IF YOU NEED HEALTH!!!", "SAY") end end) f:Regis

To this:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Lightwell
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Lightwell" then SendChatMessage("CASTING <<LIGHTWELL>> CLICK ON IT!", "SAY") end end) f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED")

Also, change this:

#showtooltip Hymn of Hope
    /cast Hymn of Hope
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Hymn of Hope" then SendChatMessage("CASTING <<HYMN OF HOPE>>", "SAY") end end) f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED")

To this:
    #showtooltip
    /cast Hymn of Hope

If you dislike the things I've provided in the SendChatMessage part, reword it accordingly -- just make sure it is 255 characters or less, so it does not exceed the ingame macro limit.

Also, although it's based on personal preference, I find it works a lot better to /yell the macro, so, you can change the "SAY" in the macro to "YELL" if you wish to change it. The SAY/YELL just refers to the channel you type it in, so if there's a healer channel you're a part of, you could also change it to whatever that's called -- example;
    #showtooltip
    /cast Hymn of Hope
    /run local f=RbA or CreateFrame("Frame","RbA") f:SetScript("OnEvent",function(s,e,u,p) if p=="Hymn of Hope" then SendChatMessage("CASTING <<HYMN OF HOPE>>", "joakhaikHeals") end end) f:RegisterEvent("UNIT_SPELLCAST_SUCCEEDED")

Hope this helps.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nice thread. Bookmarked.
    Steve Irwin died the same way he lived. With animals in his heart.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sy View Post
    oh okay, thanks
    Something else you want to keep in mind, Rune Strike is on the GCD now, so that macro would basically be a bloated way of pushing your Rune Strike button, since Death Strike would never get used.

If you wanted to have two abilities on the GCD in the same macro/button, you'd need to use the /castsequence command. You're a DK, right? A simple example is a basic Death Pact macro:

#showtooltip Raise Dead
    /castsequence Raise Dead, Death Pact

I use Raise Dead for the tooltip since its cooldown is longer than Death Pact's (you would probably reverse it if you're Unholy.) Pushing the button once will cast Raise Dead, summoning your ghoul. Pressing it a second time will first attempt to cast Raise Dead (which is now on cooldown), and then attempt to cast Death Pact. Assuming you have the RP, you'll cast Death Pact. Granted, I THINK it tries to use the first spell in the series before attempting the second on the second button press, but since the only time I've used castsequence is for this specific macro, I've got no idea.

Anyway, I also have to ask what UI the OP's using for the screenshots. Them's some very sexy nameplates.

Worked Perfectly!!! tks!!

UI = Tukui (hard to config, but nice result)
    Nameplates = Tidyplates

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by PizzaSHARK View Post
    Something else you want to keep in mind, Rune Strike is on the GCD now, so that macro would basically be a bloated way of pushing your Rune Strike button, since Death Strike would never get used.
    thanks for mentioning and the castsequence idea, but yeah, i actually know that
    i never used a rune strike macro in the first place (i want to have total control over my skills), it's just an example that i've seen a while ago (of course back when rs wasn't on the gcd).
    Anyway, I also have to ask what UI the OP's using for the screenshots. Them's some very sexy nameplates.
    agreed!
    Quote Originally Posted by wafs View Post
    Nameplates = Tidyplates
    guessed so, but i didn't know you can see debuff durations on the plates.. might have to look into this^^

Quote Originally Posted by Revelations View Post
    Thank you for telling about the question mark icon!

Here I've been scrolling down to find the right icon for years, while all you needed to do was select the question mark..
    I did too :P