Grunt
    10+ Year Old Account

Holy Paladin Master

Hey everyone (and merry christmas)

Just wondering what is everyones thoughts on the whole mastery thing? me and a buddy of mine are of the same mind: that at these levels, of entry raiding gear we are at, we dont believe that there is enough stat inflation to be able to reach the scales of making the bubble shield do "enough" shielding to make it worth it, hence why master for a lot of healers is either the bottom or very near the bottom of our stat's.

But we were both thinking, if you could get that shield to do 30-50% of a heal into a shield, wouldn't that be worth it to start stacking? Its like if you can reach that haste soft cap for druids, where you obtain that one extra tick from rejuv.

Now just for a little clarification, our mastery works on every heal? Or just certain ones?

for example (and my concerns are mostly pvp):
    -holy radiance
    -word of glory

I would presume that it works for flash, shock, and divine. which was the intention but of those mentioned?

Thanks a lot

-Gal

From what I've noticed, it works on every heal. i also noticed that each heal overrides the previous shield...meaning if ur first heal was for 30k (10% mastery=3k damage absorption) then you cast a holy shock for 10k (10% masteryy = 1k absorption) it will refresh the bubble. I haven't looked to see if beaconed targets get it thru the beacon.

Deleted
    It doesnt interact with holy radiance or beacon heals.

Every other heal causes mastery shields including light of dawn. From a pvp perspective its nice to have as its another debuff for dispel protection/ more healing for less mana. Personally ive gone for the pvp gear with spirit on first as it makes out lasting other healers alot easier.

Managed to oom a priest by just standing there and letting him mana burn me while my spirit regen + judge mana made him go oom burning. (yes he was bad but its funny)

ps. merry christmas

Deleted
    The problem with Mastery is
    It doesnt proc on heals done through Beacon
    The shield is short lived so often wasted when topping up dps
    The shield doesnt stack from multiple heals (further heals will either refresh the timer on the shield or overwrite the shield depending on the strength of the heal)

I believe it does proc from word of glory but not tower of radiance holy radiance.

For these reasons I personally prefer to gear into stats that give me a boost always such as int, spirit and haste and to a lesser degree crit.

I would imagine mastery would become more desirable for main tank healing once other stats have reached a better level.
    Last edited by mmoc9f09da806e; 2010-12-25 at 12:18 PM.

Only gonna say this once!

Heals that don't give shield:
    Beacon heals, Valkyrie heals, and Holy Radiance

Mastery is given on all other heals and will work.

also, it would take about 3500 mastery to reach 30% (an average of 200 per piece of gear) Right now a high mastery item (heroic epic loot) has less than 150 on a big piece (i.e) chest or legs. so 3500 mastery would be impossible as of now, to reach.

so no, not viable.

as always, feel free to PM me with any holy paladin questions
    and to the above poster, tower of radiance is not a heal it is a talent, but i believe you meant light of dawn which DOES in fact work with the shields.
    Last edited by eightohfive; 2010-12-25 at 12:07 PM.

Deleted
    Personally i do not like Mastery at the minute. I do like the idea of our mastery providing shields however i think it was implemented poorly.

All heals will cause Mastery apart from as previously mentioned; Beacon, Valk and Holy Radiance.

Currently with a an itemlevel of 354 (only way i can think of tracking it currently) my mastery only does around 15% of my total healing.

Personally i'd go for Crit over Mastery however haste is still our king.

They should let the Paladin Mastery stack up in ways similar to the Necrotic Strike health absorption that Death Knight's have.

Your thoughts regarding this?

Deleted
    For fights like Magmaw, large amounts of mastery are really beneficial, and as I'm usually set on raid healing atm with Resto Druids on the tanks, mastery is REALLY beneficial. In fact, on Halfus Wyrmbreaker 2 days ago, It accounted for 28% of my total healing! So imo, stack Mastery for raid healing, don't for tank healing.

---------- Post added 2010-12-25 at 12:10 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Paladinwtf View Post
    They should let the Paladin Mastery stack up in ways similar to the Necrotic Strike health absorption that Death Knight's have.

Your thoughts regarding this?
    Hmm, I just think smaller ones shouldn't overwrite larger ones, but instead refresh the time. That'd be better imo.

Mastery is pretty crappy atm
    Taking a raid healing situation where your main job is to raid heal with Holy Light and indirectly heal the tank, mastery never gets used
    Very few fights have a constant AoE like BQL or others, so mastery on the raid just ticks off and is wasted, as such even though its design is fairly solid and in an ideal world we would love it, because of such fight conditions it makes no sense to touch it

Quote Originally Posted by StarbuyPWNDyou View Post
    For fights like Magmaw, large amounts of mastery are really beneficial, and as I'm usually set on raid healing atm with Resto Druids on the tanks, mastery is REALLY beneficial.
    In fact, on Halfus Wyrmbreaker 2 days ago, It accounted for 28% of my total healing! So imo, stack Mastery for raid healing, don't for tank healing.
    The last time I was aoe healing and checked the healing done by my mastery ... it was at 4% of my overall healing (with 12% mastery) and considering that HR doesn't proc it (not that it would be any good if HR did proc a shield because it would always get overwritten) and my overhealing is at around 5% (yes overhealing a lot is the only way to have Mastery look good in recount/skada..)

Deleted
    Don't bother with it, if taken by your words it concers you for pvp reforge the mastery away for crit (spirit if not on the item).

With current gear level mastery is one the worst stats. Crit looks the best as the secondary coz of Infusion procs... and healing output, ofc

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by eightohfive View Post
    Heals that don't give shield:
    Beacon heals, Valkyrie heals, and Holy Radiance
    what is this?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    what is this?
    Guardian of the Ancient Kings i would presume

Haste >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Crit >> Mastery