Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Well, I'm not sure why he was lying about the class being terrible Neltharia, unless he simply isn't doing well and blames it on the class instead of actually trying to improve. You can clearly see the DPS possible by a good Shadow Priest in the log provided above.

Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    I don't get it. Are shadowpriests broken or is it a player issue?
    Player issue.

WoL report from a good Shadow Priest if you want to make sure:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/abau1u0t93c6xmw6/
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Neltharia View Post
    and the other dot.
    I think i found the problem

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    Well, I'm not sure why he was lying about the class being terrible Neltharia, unless he simply isn't doing well and blames it on the class instead of actually trying to improve. You can clearly see the DPS possible by a good Shadow Priest in the log provided above.

Player issue.

WoL report from a good Shadow Priest if you want to make sure:

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/abau1u0t93c6xmw6/
    Ok then the dps is possible. But how does this WoL player reach it and how does he keep his mana up?

---------- Post added 2010-12-25 at 10:57 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by baldoora View Post
    See the problem?
    See the reason?

I play on a German client. Forgive me for forgetting the name in English. Devouring Plague, happy?

Ok then the dps is possible. But how does this WoL player reach it and how does he keep his mana up?
    Isn't that jonish's log?

See the reason?
    I do. And to everyone else, har har. Enough's enough.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

10+ Year Old Account
    imo it's just a player issue. If u can't handle the mana, reroll affliction lock. Same playstyle but no worries about mana.

I am not sure myself I am afraid, but that WoL was posted by another player on these forums named jonish. For more information about his rotation, ect. your best bet would honestly just be to PM him, then you can get an idea about anything you need, from rotation to gear. He did mention to make sure to Shadow Word: Death the first mob to hit 25% health while AoEing, which I can see being a nice mana boost if you chain two of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelesti View Post
    Isn't that jonish's log?
    It is indeed, it was the closest example I could think of which had clear proof that Shadow is nowhere near as bad as Kootz is claiming. After my flurry of edits I did remember to credit him in the original post though
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Quote Originally Posted by Kootz View Post
    Learn to quote
    Our shadow priest is usually in the top 3 in our raids, and the only thing we haven't cleared yet is Nefarian. Sometimes you just have to consider the fact that you might be doing it wrong.
    Last edited by Kelesti; 2010-12-26 at 04:27 AM.
    Grand Crusader Belloc <-- 6608 Endless Tank Proving Grounds score! (
    Dragonslayer Kooqu

Deleted
    I have to really wonder what the hell are you doing to run oom all the time. I pop fiend and wings on cooldown, regardless of mana level, save dispersion for heavy movement or heavy damage and yet I end fight like Omnitron - a long fight with multidotting most of the time - without any mana problems and topping the meters. I'm also keeping healthy 15k dps on Argaloth - a good single target nukefest test I believe.

The great mystery of doing fine with mana as a spriest is good usage of SWD - it's a freaking Life Tap on steroids. Just roll on normal priority rotation - VT>DP>MB(with 3 orbs OR any lesser amount if the Empowered Shadows is about to fall off. Never without orbs at all)>MF, SW:P assumed always up, pop SW on any kind of movement or if you find yourself falling below 30%ish mana just to keep it up, use Archangel and Shadowfiend every time they are off cooldown - even right at the start of the fight. It shouldnt produce any mana issues.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    Remember that using SWD in your rotation can also help if youre having mana problems

Only problem with shadow is anything that involves target swapping or AoE. For simple kill boss, move out of X, etc we do GREAT. Just shadow word death on cd (it only backlashes you for like....400 damage?) to get the 10% mana. On top of shadowfiend and dark archangel, the mana problem doesn't exist. The problem comes in where anything that involves target swapping or aoe, mana is absolutely terrible.

Fights like Setesh with burning the portals, we do fine since it's just lolmindspike and back on the boss. The problem comes in on fights like High Prophet Barim (using heroic bosses an example since more people would be familliar) where you have to do a full DPS dot cycle on the new add while maintaing VT and pain on Barim. AoE is awful for fights like magmaw and corborus as well based on it draining 7-8k mana, more often than not breaks early from your initial target dying, and does piss poor damage (holy nova being better/arc explosion damage.)

Minus target swapping/aoe, I have yet to have issues with mana and stay near topped with CD usage minus when I forget to use death on erudax when switching to the add. Having to recast your dots frequently though KILLS your mana pool faster than you can possibly regen.

For trash mobs btw since you mentioned drinking on 5 man trash, time your shadow word death at the execute mark exactly on each trash available. It will give you 2 deaths and allow you to regen 20% every 10 secs if you time it right
    Quote Originally Posted by Connal View Post
    From my perspective it is an uncle who was is a "simple" slat of the earth person, who has religous beliefs I may or may not fully agree with, but who in the end of the day wants to go hope, kiss his wife, and kids, and enjoy their company.
    Connal defending child molestation

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by kuku2 View Post
    Sometimes you just have to consider the fact that you might be doing it wrong.
    Are you implying that people actually CAN be wrong in an online forum discussion.. That's like swearing in church!

Deleted
    A mage still has to waste globals on gems and evocate. A Shaman's regen is RNG dependent, and they run hard OoM when they have to AoE. Warlocks have to spend Global cooldowns doing zero damage for lifetap. QQ'ing that Death hits for so little is pretty laughable.
    so true if someone has manaissues as a shadowpriest then it´s not the class but the player who isn´t playing well =)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Longview View Post
    I don't get it. Are shadowpriests broken or is it a player issue?
    Player issue, IMO... I mean Yeah I go oom from time to time now, unlike Wrath, but isn't that the "challenge" of playing? I think Spriest dps has moved a few steps forward, esp. after our MS nerf before 4.0... I'm in no means in full T11 and I don't think many are, with that said I think more time needs to pass before we can conclusively say Spriests are broken.
    <~$~("The truth, is limitless in its range. If you drop a 'T' and look at it in reverse, it could hurt.")~$~> L.F.

<~$~("The most hopelessly stupid man is he who is not aware he is wise.")~$~> I.A.

Deleted
    Ive got 2300 haste and even on add fights where MS becomes viable i struggle to go sub 50% mana.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Spectrez View Post
    You : "Hi I'm a shadow priest, my name is Bob, and I'm a manaholic"
    Group : "Hi Bob"

First thing I thought of when I read the title. lol.
    Same lol

Stolen ... from elyssia .... mad elyssia?

Deleted
    Mana pots here we come!

Deleted
    You aren't the only caster with mana issues, as a boomkin I struggle to keep my mana up, somtimes i have to innervate myself at the healers dislike.
    Being 8/12 in raids right now, yes I do know how to play, this is just the way it is atm. I also have an SP, and he also has issues.

Timing mana return CDs is very important .

Big point is dont be afraid to use a mana potion, i carry alot with me. Rather not use a volcanic potion, cause OOM DPS is no DPS.

They really want us all ending a boss with basicly 0 mana, as long as u make it to the end without going totaly OOM, that is fine.
    Last edited by mmoc796e664f5d; 2010-12-26 at 12:36 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Chillstream View Post
    They really want us all ending a boss with basically 0 mana, as long as u make it to the end without going totally OOM, that is fine.
    I thought the intended design was that Healers do the resource managing and DPS care a whole deal less about their resource. There was (if I recall correctly) a blue post that said that they wanted resources to matter more for DPS than in WotLK, but that DPS shouldn't have to worry about it too much.
    It doesn't affect me much, but DPS shouldn't have to worry about mana all that much when following a single target rotation, in my opinion.
    Resurrected Holy Priest

They want Arcane to really care about mana. For everyone else, they said "as long as you are using mana cooldowns, you should be fine"

But for it to matter "more than Wrath", well in Wrath it wasn't a concern at all.

So to increase the amount people care for it, that means logically speaking it has to matter. As far as where the balance is, I'd have to say they got it right for the most part.

A caster using their cooldowns (or Death in this case), should be able to sustain their mana pool, but if they neglect them then they suffer.

I'd have to say it's pretty close to WAI.
    ~Former Priest/Guild Wars 2 Moderator~
    Now TESTING: ArcheAge (Alpha)
    Now PLAYING: MonoRed Burn (MtG Standard)
    Twitter: @KelestiMMO come say hi!
    ~When you speak, I hear silence. Every word a defiance~

They want Arcane to really care about mana. For everyone else, they said "as long as you are using mana cooldowns, you should be fine"

But for it to matter "more than Wrath", well in Wrath it wasn't a concern at all.

So to increase the amount people care for it, that means logically speaking it has to matter. As far as where the balance is, I'd have to say they got it right for the most part.

A caster using their cooldowns (or Death in this case), should be able to sustain their mana pool, but if they neglect them then they suffer.

I'd have to say it's pretty close to WAI.
    Except with fire mages who have even bigger mana issues than arcane does. :/