Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Not really. He's a bit too dark and none-caring. He's the opposite of the Doctor in some points. But being the lead character in two big TV series? With him being so famous now and probably getting all kinds of roles? Not likely.
    I didn't mean his character, (although you have to admit, there ARE similiarities to the "dark" Doctor) but more like, I dunno how to express it, his way of acting. That quirkiness and all. Started watching Sherlock not long ago and I'm constantly getting a massive Doctor vibe from him for some reason.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    While I do think Cumberbatch would/could play a good doctor, he is just TOO sherlock to be the Doctor. But I do want a cross over for the lulz!
    I like to believe that this is true:

Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I like to believe that this is true:

[IMG]http://28.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m39f3txIFn1qgadz0o1_500.jpg[/IG]
    Malcroft is his big brother, Stormageddon was the firstborn in the family.

Deleted
    Cumberbatch would make a pretty good Valeyard I think.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Malcroft is his big brother, Stormageddon was the firstborn in the family.
    Bah, Sherlock was adopted and Mycroft doesn't have the heart to tell him. Of course, Sherlock already deduced this and doesn't care.

Look, I can make this work if I try hard enough!
    Putin khuliyo

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Bah, Sherlock was adopted and Mycroft doesn't have the heart to tell him. Of course, Sherlock already deduced this and doesn't care.

Look, I can make this work if I try hard enough!
    The Doctor would allow Stormageddon's parents to come into a situation where they have to adopt their child away?

I've just finished watching from the start of Eccleston to the end of Tennant and damn, I forgot how good this program was before the writers changed and Amy and Rory came and destroyed it. 9 and 10 were amazing doctors and not just them, but all the characters that went along with them. Sarah Jane (rip), the 3 companions, WILF! Captain Jack, etc. They brought so much magic to the series that died when Tennant regenerated.

The final episode (The End of Time: Part 2) made me so sad at the end, with the Doctor saving Wilf even though he clearly wished he could just walk away, and it was so sad when he went around saying good bye to everyone before he regenerated.

As the Doctor said to Wilfred in the café, when he regenerates it's like dying and a new man is born. And when Tennants Doctor died, the show died. We were then left with 4 years of some Scottish red head and her marriage problems, and River Song saying SPOILERS DERP every fucking episode. And Clara, jesus christ she just can't act. She's do-able, for sure, but can't act.

I hope Peter can bring some new life to the series and maybe the writing will improve as well. One can only hope.

Rest in Piece, 10

Rot in Piss, 11
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Well, the RTD era had its own problems as well, namely, RTD's unhealthy obsession with deus ex machina plot devices.

Season 5 was quite good, then Moffat started to lose direction kinda, imo.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sadly I have to agree with you once again Everything Nice.

I was a huge fan of the Moff and we KNOW he's a great writer etc, because of both his previous Who episodes and his work on Sherlock, but his tenure as head of Doctor Who has been... Mixed. There have been some amazing parts (the Riversong arcs were great IMO, I know they weren't to everyones taste, but I loved them) but the last couple of season... Not so sure. There have been alot of episode I've watched and thought "Wow, that was awesome!"... but then a few days later I've pretty much forgotten them, he writes very well, but he has trouble writing MEMORABLY.

I think for the next season they need to draft in someone else to handle the day to day work, and leave Moffat to work on individual episodes, so he can focus and make them as amazing as we know he can.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Bring in J. Michael Straczynski to write the longer arcs, and get Moffat and Gaiman to write individual (or 2-parters) episodes.

RTD was interested in giving too much fan service and doing huge spectacular season finales that he could never give a satisfying payoff too.

Instead relying on ridiculous duex ex machina endings that left audiences dissatisfied (God i hated Last of the time lords and Journeys end)

Moffat is more realistic in his ambitions cause he knows his budget limitations and what he can do as a writer.

I must admit i like moffat way better than RTD and i hope a he has big plans for this new doctor.

Moffat should just be a writer under a different producer. He's a great writer, not a great producer (for Doctor Who - for Sherlock, he's brilliant. I often say that Sherlock is Doctor Who for the adults who grew up with Doctor Who and New Who is for the new generation of fans).

To me it's a wash between RTD and Moffat, both have significant problems, but I honestly think the biggest problem is the BBC. The last season of Doctor Who really felt like it was driven by focus groups.
    But maybe their allowance of casting Capaldi shows they are willing to back off and let Moffat and his team do their thing.

There was such huge promise for Doctor Who when it was announced that Moffat was taking over as he'd contributed the absolute best episodes to RTD's run. But what a let down it's been overall. None of that darkness, edge and sharp humour have been seen.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Bring in J. Michael Straczynski to write the longer arcs, and get Moffat and Gaiman to write individual (or 2-parters) episodes.
    Hmm, Babylon Who wouldn't be bad actually

10+ Year Old Account
    I would be 10000% happy if they brought Niel Gaiman on as the permenant writer , I've loved everything that made has written! except Good Omens...

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

*Except* Good Omens?! Good lord, why? That's a wonderful book!
    It is very much a collaboration and Terry Pratchett's voice is loud and clear but it's also very much Gaiman.

But yes, I agree Gaiman should be on as a regular writer but that's not where his ambitions are and that's understandable.
    Besides, a good writer is not always a good idea for TV show - Douglas Adams' time as script editor wasn't as good as it should have been, but the episodes he wrote (City of Death, Pirate Planet, Shada) were amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by durrtygoodz View Post
    Rest in Piece, 10

Rot in Piss, 11
    HELL NO.

I loved 10, and I pretty much swore down he was my doctor.... Then 11 happened.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    *Except* Good Omens?! Good lord, why? That's a wonderful book!
    It is very much a collaboration and Terry Pratchett's voice is loud and clear but it's also very much Gaiman.
    I don't know why, but I can't stand Pratchett... I've tried all his books and Mort is the only one I could stand.

Fair enough. I've not read a lot of his books but I generally like his style and I thought his collaboration with Gaiman was superb.

Quote Originally Posted by Owenm View Post
    HELL NO.

I loved 10, and I pretty much swore down he was my doctor.... Then 11 happened.
    Yeah, the show got better after Series 5 in my opinion.

Ehh... The Tennant years were better and had a lot more weight to them by and large. Smith does have the honour of being the Doctor in one of the best Who stories, new or classic, in Vincent and the Doctor, however, and Tennant had some of the worst garbage since Time and the Rani (Daleks in Manhattan 2 parter).

I think Smith was capable of *much* more but he was held back. He had moments of brilliance that completely blew away Tennant but he always seemed to be required to quickly snap out of them and go back to bouncy happy fun Doctor.