Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    ... to Matt Smith!
    No, he's the best! It's like mathematically proven!

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    ...but physically not observed!
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    yeah but its in a movie theater O_O in 3d @_@
    Being in 3d is a good reason for not going.

I really hope they haven't gone for the easy stereotyped 3d effects using scenes we see in many movies currently. I'm getting bored of seeing birds flying or things being thrown towards screen for no other reason than a terrible 3d effect. These are one of the worst immersion-breaking over used scenes.

its matts last birthday as the doctor
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Mattemattically proven. *ba dum tsh*

I also agree. I've got two theaters in town, that's pretty fortunate. Just confused as to why it's playing so much later than the initial broadcast? Trying to avoid spoilers for an entire weekend doesn't seem worth seeing it in the theater. Maybe I'll watch it twice? Perhaps I'm missing something about the scheduling.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Sorry, David Tennant is better than Matt Smith. Plus, hes Scottish.

I think Smith's Doctor was better written than Tennant's in terms of dialogue, but Tennant's performance was stronger. Smith's Doctor had a lot of very good, classic Doctor dialogue and when I was just perusing some Doctor Who quotes for another purpose, I was struck by how 4th Doctorish 11 was in terms of his lines.

The stories that encompassed Smith's run just were not overly that strong in comparison to Tennant's, and Tennant was a lot better at giving depth to the character where Smith was more limited in scope. That is, I found Tennant more believable as a character while Smith was an assemblage of Doctor tropes without anything added to expand the character.

10+ Year Old Account
    I personally loved the monologues that Smith had written for him, and kind of wish Tennant or Eccleston was there to perform them. Eccleston is my favorite Doctor and just felt like a bigger presence to me. Smith did great with them, but I think Eccleston would have knocked them out of the park, especially with one like in Rings of Akhaten.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    I personally loved the monologues that Smith had written for him, and kind of wish Tennant or Eccleston was there to perform them. Eccleston is my favorite Doctor and just felt like a bigger presence to me. Smith did great with them, but I think Eccleston would have knocked them out of the park, especially with one like in Rings of Akhaten.
    But obviously Peter Capaldi will top them all.

10+ Year Old Account
    I am interested in both Capaldi and Hurt's portrayal. Will be nice to get an older looking gent as the Doctor again. Neither Smith nor Eccleston impressed me. Tennant was, in my not so humble and terribly biased opinion, the best portrayal of the Doctor since Baker.

Not so seriously, when is the scarf making a comeback? Down with bow ties, up with scarfs!
    Sir Robin, the Not-Quite-So-Brave-As-Sir-Lancelot.
    Who had nearly fought the Dragon of Angnor.
    Who had almost stood up to the vicious Chicken of Bristol.
    And who had personally wet himself, at the Battle of Badon Hill.

10+ Year Old Account
    I love the older, darker portrayals of the Doctor, so I hope Capaldi kind of goes off the anger deep end lol I think that is why I liked Eccleston so much because his portrayal was the end of the Time War, pissed off persona.

Quote Originally Posted by SirRobin View Post
    I am interested in both Capaldi and Hurt's portrayal. Will be nice to get an older looking gent as the Doctor again. Neither Smith nor Eccleston impressed me. Tennant was, in my not so humble and terribly biased opinion, the best portrayal of the Doctor since Baker.

Not so seriously, when is the scarf making a comeback? Down with bow ties, up with scarfs!
    "Bow ties are cool."

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    "Bow ties are cool."
    Zing. But really, I love Matt Smith and bow ties are 100% not cool. He's cool. The Doctor is cool. Bowties on real people in real life are awful.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Zing. But really, I love Matt Smith and bow ties are 100% not cool. He's cool. The Doctor is cool. Bowties on real people in real life are awful.
    Agreed. I think the only reason Matt was able to get away with it though, was because,

A) He's The Doctor
    B) He's young and apparently considered handsome

If some random guy on the street tried wearing a bowtie and suspenders we'd look at them funny. But Matt looks geniune because he's The Doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Advent View Post
    Agreed. I think the only reason Matt was able to get away with it though, was because,

A) He's The Doctor
    B) He's young and apparently considered handsome

If some random guy on the street tried wearing a bowtie and suspenders we'd look at them funny. But Matt looks geniune because he's The Doctor.
    on this I will disagree, if worn properly a man in a Bow Tie is very attractive.

http://www.knotheory.com/style-guide...a-style-maven/

10+ Year Old Account
    My eyes!

The horror... the horror...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    on this I will disagree, if worn properly a man in a Bow Tie is very attractive.
    I shall call your bow tie and raise you A Man’s Guide to the Scarf.

Deleted

What an awesome site. Fake knot ftw!

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    My eyes!

The horror... the horror...

- - - Updated - - -

And i raise you from that site....

Art of manliness.com; how to tie a bow tie video

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Mattemattically proven. *ba dum tsh*

I also agree. I've got two theaters in town, that's pretty fortunate. Just confused as to why it's playing so much later than the initial broadcast? Trying to avoid spoilers for an entire weekend doesn't seem worth seeing it in the theater. Maybe I'll watch it twice? Perhaps I'm missing something about the scheduling.
    only a small handful are playing it on the same day, i think like 4, it probably just cost way to much and only the really popular theaters got it on the same day is my guess.

it also could be that doctor who makes alot of its money off ad revenue in america and the costs of giving it the same day to all those theaters wouldnt offset the lost ad revenue they wouldve gotten.

as for whos better i prefer matt. i felt like alot of matts stories were better, i felt like it was better written and i felt like matt really embodied the essence of the doctor being both old and young at the same time being both jolly and incredibly sad.

i think the main thing davids era suffered from was lack of actual story arcs, rtd idea of an arc was saying a word once or twice in an episode and then going ER MAH GERD DEMS WERDS HAD MEANINS, i also felt davids doctor dwelled to much on rose, while both moffat and rtd both have a girl that they cant seem to stop having come on (rose and river) it felt like rose stayed on the show alot longer when she wasnt actually there then river does, when rose leaves they still dont stop talking about her or bringing her up or have the doctors life stop revolving around her, rose always felt like a presence in everything the doctor did except in series 4 and then she actually came back at the end of that. river in my opinion doesnt last in the show, she comes in and comes out and overall the show doesnt revolve around her every episode.

i think if you were to try and just look at the doctors on their own and not at their eras they are both fantastic actors and they both have their flaws and when you really look at it they are so very similar while also being slightly different and i cant wait to see them in the 50th since david and matt got along so well they wanted to do an entire series of team ups. 5 solo episodes of tennant, 5 of matt and then 3 where the stories converge which wouldve been awesome if moffat had agreed
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    And i raise you from that site....

Art of manliness.com; how to tie a bow tie video
    That page was an editorial error.

It is a neat site.