Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Yup, even since 9th, Doctor has always been running away (and running). I've been waiting for the time he will no longer run since then.

Would love to see a situation where the companion asks something like "What should we do now ? Run ?" and to see his answer
    He does stop running in the christmas special

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla View Post
    Yup, even since 9th, Doctor has always been running away (and running). I've been waiting for the time he will no longer run since then.

Would love to see a situation where the companion asks something like "What should we do now ? Run ?" and to see his answer
    The Doctor has not been running but looking for home.

DOCTOR : Clara sometimes asks me if I dream. Of course I dream, I tell her. Everybody dreams. But what do you dream about, she'll ask. The same thing everybody dreams about, I tell her. I dream about where I'm going. She always laughs at that. But you're not going anywhere, you're just wandering about.

DOCTOR : That's not true. Not any more. I have a new destination. My journey is the same as yours, the same as anyones. It's taken me so many years, so many lifetimes, but at last I know where I'm going.

DOCTOR : Where I've always been going. Home, the long way round.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    The Doctor has not been running but looking for home.

Umm just going to put it out there but . . .Wrong he was running for 1200+ years. Now he is looking for home but before the 50th he was running. I truly do hope you don't really see it that way if so your a doing a major discredit to all doctors before Matt smith.

I would really insist on you watching the 2nd doctors episodes (Patrick Troughton)

DOCTOR : That's not true. Not any more. I have a new destination. = He was running his whole life up till that moment " Not any more" which implies that yes he was running.

The change to a no-longer-running Doctor is a huge statement of intent in the direction the Doctor is to take.
    Since the beginning, the Doctor has been largely "on the run"; for a very long time it served the narrative of the traveling hero saving the locals while flouting authority, but that's a device that has (pardon the pun) run it's course. It no longer serves a modern narrative where harder confrontation in our drama is more appreciated.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

The Doctor used to be the rebel who would thumb his nose up at authority like the Timelords or the Guardians but it seems its hard to be the rebel when the narrative has made him into a space god where he is the highest authority in the Universe.

I think the Doctor needs some new authority to take his ego down a peg and to make him back to being the rebel.

Peter Capaldi has said he would love to see the return of the Axons during his time as the Doctor.

The classic era foe first featured in 1971′s The Claws of Axos with Jon Pertwee. Capaldi told EW: “Axons appeared as these godlike creatures, but underneath they were festering bags of flesh. I’d love to see a modern version of that.”

Capaldi also desires to see the original ’60s-era Cybermen back: “I’d also like to see—this is really one for geeks—the return of the Mondasian Cybermen. They came from the Planet Mondas and first appeared in [1966’s] ‘The Tenth Planet.’ They were absolutely terrifying, with cloth faces. That was really creepy.”

Steven Moffat isn’t as keen though: “I always thought the Axons had a natural resemblance to a BAFTA. We’re not bringing [classic Cybermen] back, because they look like boys with [sweaters] pulled over their heads. But Peter and I are not having a fight about which Cybermen are better.”

And as for the return of the Master, Moffat is saying very little: “There’s always that rumour. It didn’t come from us.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...ctor+Who+TV%29
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Aren't the Cybermen from Matt Smith's era canonically from Mondas?

Quote Originally Posted by Brummiehorde View Post
    The Doctor used to be the rebel who would thumb his nose up at authority like the Timelords or the Guardians but it seems its hard to be the rebel when the narrative has made him into a space god where he is the highest authority in the Universe.

I think the Doctor needs some new authority to take his ego down a peg and to make him back to being the rebel.
    I couldn't agree more. The Doctor needs a universe that is a threat to him, one that he cannot control, and where his life is constantly at risk, a risk he loves as much as the mystery of it all.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Aren't the Cybermen from Matt Smith's era canonically from Mondas?
    Capaldi is referring to the Cybermen that came directly from Mondas, which occurred in The Tenth Planet. And I agree with him! Those Cybermen, for all the low-budget costuming, were far scarier than the full metal-bodied versions that came afterwards. Those original Cybermen were like technological spectres.

As for the Axons looking like a BAFTA trophy, well, yes they do, but I think Moffat has won so many of them he's a bit biased. The Axons were very neat, and worth a revisit.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Capaldi is referring to the Cybermen that came directly from Mondas, which occurred in The Tenth Planet. And I agree with him! Those Cybermen, for all the low-budget costuming, were far scarier than the full metal-bodied versions that came afterwards. Those original Cybermen were like technological spectres.
    I don't know about you, but when I first watched the double episode in s2 with the reintroduction of the Cybermen last year (yeah I discovered Doctor Who very late), I was bloody scared. And I still am everytime I watch it

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    I don't know about you, but when I first watched the double episode in s2 with the reintroduction of the Cybermen last year (yeah I discovered Doctor Who very late), I was bloody scared. And I still am everytime I watch it
    My grandmother laughs at them because they make so much noise when walking and are so slow yet manage to sneak up on people, she also keeps coming up with fantastic methods of defeating bad guys, for scarecrows it was light them on fire then push them into each other, for daleks roll thousands of ballbarians so they slide everywhere, for weeping angels she suggested that a sledgehammer can kill a stone >.<

i literally dont trust a single thing moffat ever says anymore unless its about things from the past or nonimportant things.

"i wont bring back the rani because the timelords are all dead, they are gone and outside of the master they were all killed" - gallifrey is now in a pocket dimension

"oh hurts costume looks like a mix of 8 and 9's? never looked at it that way" - hurt is 8.5

"Moriarty is dead dead, not coming back"

MOFFAT!!!

- - - Updated - - -

"Steven Moffat has said Peter Capaldi’s past appearances in the Whoniverse will still be addressed in Series 8 but fans shouldn’t expect a major story point out of it.

Moffat reiterated that the theory Russell T Davies came up with while he was still showrunning will serve as the basis for the explanation.

Speaking at the LFCC he said: “Truthfully I don’t think it’s something you have to resolve because audiences do understand that the same actor can play different parts.

“When Peter Capaldi turned up in Torchwood Russell said he had a plan in his head on why he looked like the guy in The Fires of Pompeii. So I emailed him and said what was the explanation and does it fit with the new Doctor? And it sort of does.

“So in a very low-key way we’ll address it. It won’t be a major deal because in the end people know the real reason is he’s played by the same actor.

“What’s really worrying me is Karen Gillan in The Fires of Pompeii. That’s just inexplicable – I’m going to get to that eventually.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldis-familiar-face-addressed-in-a-low-key-way-63697.htm
    Last edited by Immitis; 2014-08-02 at 04:49 AM.
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure steven moffat just wants to turn doctor who into sherlock in space/ time travel

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I'm sure steven moffat just wants to turn doctor who into sherlock in space/ time travel
    hasnt that pretty much always been the case?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    hasnt that pretty much always been the case?
    Doctor Who was directly influenced and inspired by Sherlock Holmes. The companion concept is a direct adoption from the Watson-Holmes dynamic, in that the companion is someone the audience can relate to, that filters the genius of the titular character in a way we can understand.

The Doctor wasn't a particularly likable character at the start, and neither is Sherlock Holmes (in the books), both being very "alien" in their detachment, brilliance, strangeness.

"Okey dokey!"

"Steven Moffat has spoken a little about the story arc this year stating that it will only take up a small chunk of each episode in the lead up to the finale. Think Series Five, rather than Six.

Responding in EW, Moffat said: “Yes [there are over-arching plotlines], but at the same time 90 percent of every episode is a stand-alone adventure.”

On the overall setting of each episode: “We’ve got quite a lot of Earth stuff this time. But it’s proper variety, and I think i’ll not tell you what’s going to be on the roller coaster in advance.”

Teasing the big two-part finale he says: “It’s not just about the Cybermen. It’s a good, action-packed, mad one.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...-arc-65099.htm

also brian blessed has said the bbc asked him if he wanted to replace hartnell but he turned it down

so in an alternate universe this couldve been the 2nd doctor

10+ Year Old Account
    That would have been SO awesome! He would have been the best Doctor
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

"Peter Capaldi has said he is unsure how his Doctor will be received, but he doesn’t expect to be a viewed as a heartthrob like his more recent predecessors were.

Speaking to Marie Claire magazine he said: “I don’t know if people will like me or not; or if the show will be more successful or less successful. But no matter what happens, someone somewhere will love me – I’ll be someone’s Doctor. Even if everyone else hates me.”

On comparisons to the last two Doctors he said: ”Matt [Smith] and David [Tennant] are much younger than me, much more handsome. And that’s what people have decided they want to take from it. I don’t think that will be happening for me. I don’t expect to be anyone’s heartthrob.”

On the responsibility he now has: “With a big role like this, you have a big sense of responsibility – it’s bigger than me. Doctor Who belongs to all the people who love it. [Being in the spotlight] is just part of the game.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...ctor-65143.htm

Steven Moffat has revealed that there are big plans for future online episodes after the success of Pond Life and The Night of the Doctor.

Moffat told SFX: “We’ll certainly do some more. We’ll do more prequels and stuff. I’ve been in to talk to the channel controller of iPlayer and say ‘We need proper money for it’, and they’re very keen. And we don’t call them prequels, we don’t call them minisodes, we just call them Doctor Who. That’s all they are. As I say, why not do an episode that’s ten minutes? Or an episode that’s half an hour? It depends what it suits.”

Elaborating further, he says it’s time to take online content more seriously: “I think we now have to accept that online stuff isn’t a spin-off anymore. We used to treat it as a spin-off that maybe some people would watch. And to be absolutely honest I thought they were bank raids – they’d give me some money to do an online thing and I’d say right, what crew do we already have, what actors do we already have, what set do we already have? So we’d spend no money on it at all, whack it out in a day, pump the money into the episode and off you go.

“But then you suddenly realise something like ‘Pond Life’, which we took much more seriously, had an audience of over six million. You think oh wait, that’s a TV show! That’s just a TV show and a lot of our audience make no distinction between that and the TV show. Same with ‘The Night of the Doctor’. What I think is quite exciting about all that stuff is you’re allowed to do a six minute episode.

“I actually think ‘The Night of the Doctor’ is one of the best ones we’ve done, and I don’t think it would be improved by being 45 minutes long. What more storytelling do we need? Arguably always the problem with the regeneration show is everybody’s just waiting for the bit when he dies and regenerates – so why don’t we just do that bit? You don’t feel that you’re short-selling it at all. So there’s going to be more of that, up until the point when all television is like that. And it will be. All television will be downloadable content. It’s coming.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...odes-65150.htm

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    ...his analysis of what TV is becoming... I completely disagree. There's a stark contrast between 'downloadable' and so short it's easier to sell and be forgettable. Just talking about regenerations being cut from real episodes and given their own 5 minutes of fame on the internet is the most horrible thing I've ever heard. I certainly don't watch those episodes just waiting for shiny light and a new face. That's a disgrace to even think let alone speak out loud. Moffat should be ashamed.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    ...his analysis of what TV is becoming... I completely disagree. There's a stark contrast between 'downloadable' and so short it's easier to sell and be forgettable. Just talking about regenerations being cut from real episodes and given their own 5 minutes of fame on the internet is the most horrible thing I've ever heard. I certainly don't watch those episodes just waiting for shiny light and a new face. That's a disgrace to even think let alone speak out loud. Moffat should be ashamed.
    Here here! I honestly am confused on how he can think that's a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    i dont think you got the point he was trying to get across.

he said instead of just doing crappy little 5 minute movies they should make them just as good as the episodes with just as high quality writing and effects but also shouldnt be forced to fit into the average 40 minute or so run time tv is constrained to.

mcgann didnt need 40 minutes to regenerate, night of the doctor had all the good bits and nothing felt left out.

hes not saying they should just make every regeneration a little minisode