Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    After I watched the original screener, I thought for sure that was going to be a scrapped scene. It didn't make any sense, so why include it? Just for runtime? If the first episode was normal length it would be much better. The first 30 minutes fell flat, and actually so did the ending. Are we supposed to believe that Clara can't accept the Doctor with his new face? Clara.... the girl who has seen all 13 faces of the Doctor and even traveled with 3 of them simultaneously... doesn't understand regeneration? Yah ok.
    It was not here that did that, but it was. It is all timey wimey.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Are we supposed to believe that Clara can't accept the Doctor with his new face? Clara.... the girl who has seen all 13 faces of the Doctor and even traveled with 3 of them simultaneously... doesn't understand regeneration? Yah ok.
    It was actually the Clara shards that met the other Doctors, so she wouldn't remember those interactions. Even though she met the other Doctors in the special she was still with 'her' Doctor so that might have something to do with it. I'd say she's in as much a state of shock as the Doctor is.

The real Clara sees all the Doctor's faces while she's inside his timestream. She even tells the Doctor this during the Christmas Special; something like "I've seen all 11 faces, all of them were you." And she adventured with the War Doctor, Ten, and Eleven during the 50th Anniversary. I understand why the writers would use Clara as a way to empathize with viewers who are trying to accept the new actor, but it doesn't make any sense to me why Clara's character would be so dimwitted about it all.

After I watched the original screener, I thought for sure that was going to be a scrapped scene. It didn't make any sense, so why include it? Just for runtime? If the first episode was normal length it would be much better. The first 30 minutes fell flat, and actually so did the ending. Are we supposed to believe that Clara can't accept the Doctor with his new face? Clara.... the girl who has seen all 13 faces of the Doctor and even traveled with 3 of them simultaneously... doesn't understand regeneration? Yah ok.
    she doesnt remember meeting the others in the doctors timestream. and she had no reason to believe he regenerates into an old man. as far as she knew hurts doctor was fighting in a war for a long time and tennants doctor was alot like her doctor.

knowing someone can change and seeing someone you had a crush on change so quickly is rather different experience

- - - Updated - - -

The real Clara sees all the Doctor's faces while she's inside his timestream. She even tells the Doctor this during the Christmas Special; something like "I've seen all 11 faces, all of them were you." And she adventured with the War Doctor, Ten, and Eleven during the 50th Anniversary. I understand why the writers would use Clara as a way to empathize with viewers who are trying to accept the new actor, but it doesn't make any sense to me why Clara's character would be so dimwitted about it all.
    she says during the 50th anniversary that she doesnt completely remember what happened.

the time stream stuff is all a haze for her
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I dealt with that bullshit watching the Day of the Doctor. Bunch of fan girls started screaming when Tennant appeared. Then they screamed again for John Hurt. Then they screamed again for Rose.

And I was like "shut the fuck up!"
    What country you in? That doesn't sound like an English cinema where everyone is really quiet to avoid being judged.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    i dont know how anyone can say with a straight face that tennants era was in anyway more serious or better written then smiths era.

do we really need to bring up magical tinkerbell powers from series 3?

or the abzorbaloff episode (WRITTEN BY RTD HIMSELF) where a dude implies he has sex with a face implanted on a slab of concrete

or how entire fleets of cybermen and daleks are just sucked up into a hole?

or the half human half dalek? who were using mutant pig people in new york with andrew shitty peter parker garfield.

not to mention rtd idea of an arc was "lets say a word a couple times"

or his obsession with rose?

there were tons of shit in the rtd run.

also vastra bad? vastra and the paternoster gang are some of the best characters in doctor who. your opinion is invalid and highly laced with nostalgia
    Haha wow, it's not nostalgia. Like I said, the show used to take itself seriously - even when showing mutant pig people, they didn't all start acting silly about it and cracking poor jokes like they would in the current series. Most (not all) of the season finales since the third series, were a bit far-fetched and silly, with really fast out-of-nowhere Dues ex machina, but you could look past it since they also had some really good parts and generally good stories. The threads that joined the series together and led to the finale used to be really subtle, you had to try to spot the clues (Bad Wolf, the Master etc). Under Moffat, it's all blatant and in your face. It's like it's being written by a 5 year old. At least the whole crack in the wall thing had some mystery to it - that's gone as well now.

The Rose obsession you mentioned wasn't clear sex references, it was a subtle well-written love story. A lot of it suffers from trying to make humanoid "relatable" boring characters have a "HELL YEA!" moment and make them seem exciting, and it just falls flat. Vastra + Co are perfect examples of that.

Vastra is HARDLY anywhere near one of the best characters in Doctor Who. Her character is written shallow, silly, unrealistic, wooden and boring. (Unrealistic = yes, she's green and scaled, but I mean e.g. first episode s8, they're standing watching the dinosaur and NOONE around them gives two shits that she's a walking lizard. It's Victorian times. She'd be all over the papers.)

Without coming across as resorting to insultation? Based on what I see in selection bias on my Facebook, all the stupid people I know who went to poor state schools and got bad grades/did hairdressing, like the new Doctor Who. My really intelligent friends who like the franchise, think the current series and one before are/were both massive crocks of shit. Maybe it's something to do with the cheese/cliche and lack of quality, it grates with me, my family, my friends a LOT.

The DRASTIC drop in viewing numbers backs up my opinion as well. Second episode viewing numbers dropped by nearly half. Time will tell if they pick back up again, but unless the atmosphere of the series alters drastically (the blatant series plot thread of this woman in Heaven suggests otherwise), I doubt it.

Also the cinematography in the new series is really bad. Decisions over shots and camera angles, and how some sequences are filmed this series have been pretty noticeably poor. The first two episodes were directed by a nobody, Ben Wheatley - the third is not. Fingers crossed it might be better.
    Last edited by mmoc3e9c6969db; 2014-09-06 at 11:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Platex View Post
    The DRASTIC drop in viewing numbers backs up my opinion as well. Second episode viewing numbers dropped by nearly half. Time will tell if they pick back up again

Deep Breath 6.8m (overnight) 9.17m (final) AI 82
    Into the Dalek 5.2m (overnight) TBC (final) AI 84

oh wow i wasnt aware that 5.2 was less than half of 6.8 oh god what are they going to do the travesty.

your post is full of nostalgia bullshit. the show has done nothing but grow in the ratings around the world. doctor who is more popular than ever.

tennant didnt act silly and crack jokes? yeah TOTALLY that is completely in everyway true and not at all nostalgia fueled bullshit.

most of the best episodes from the rtd era were written by moffat. the empty child/doctor dance, girl in the fireplace, silence in the library

1 THE DAY OF THE DOCTOR (2013)
    2 BLINK (2007)
    3 GENESIS OF THE DALEKS (1975)
    4 THE CAVES OF ANDROZANI (1984)
    5 CITY OF DEATH (1979)
    6 THE TALONS OF WENG-CHIANG (1977)
    7 THE EMPTY CHILD/THE DOCTOR DANCES (2005)
    8 PYRAMIDS OF MARS (1975)
    9 HUMAN NATURE/THE FAMILY OF BLOOD (2007)
    10 REMEMBRANCE OF THE DALEKS (1988)

oh look at that out of the top 10 stories of all time as voted by fans and who wrote 3 of them? thats right moffat did.

and really trying to say "only dumb people like doctor who" really? then i guess almost everyone is stupid as doctor who is one of the most popular shows in the world.

you clearly have no fucking idea what you're talking about and just spouting bullshit.

whos the most popular doctors? as voted by fans

1. Tom Baker (21.69%)
    2. Matt Smith (15.57%)
    3. David Tennant (15.49%)
    4. Patrick Troughton (12.09%)
    5. Jon Pertwee (8.72%)
    6. Peter Davison (6.11%)
    7. Sylvester McCoy (5.38%)
    8. Christopher Eccleston (4.39%)
    9. William Hartnell (4.04%)
    10. Paul McGann (3.31%)
    11. Colin Baker (2.52%)
    12. John Hurt (0.68%)

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/the-top...2014-63506.htm
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

not sure if this has been posted but it thought it was kinda neat

http://imgur.com/gallery/tSPO3

Quote Originally Posted by Throren View Post
    not sure if this has been posted but it thought it was kinda neat

http://imgur.com/gallery/tSPO3
    i think its likely he jumped based off the girl who sacrificed herself also going to heaven. although thats only two people. if a third person also sacrifices themselves or commits suicide i think we will have our answer. if a third person dies in some other way then it opens the debate back up

- - - Updated - - -

i love this fanart. im tempted to make it my avatar but im gonna stick with rocket

15+ Year Old Account
    I might no be able to watch this episode tonight.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I might no be able to watch this episode tonight.
    Don't worry, we'll tell you how it'll have went.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Everybody dies but then they didn't and it was k.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    But but Robin Hood, robot...

I might be able to watch it, maybe, depends if my dad has bbc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    When does it air?
    now :S ends in like 10minutes :P

Deleted
    Why doesn't it air on I player the same time it airs on TV? Uugh :P

Deleted
    meh, not impressed with this episode, made no sense, and was just ridiculous all round. Also felt really stilted, the script was just not very good in my opinion. Actors were fine, just could not salvage it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Why doesn't it air on I player the same time it airs on TV? Uugh :P
    it does....you can watch it live, and if you are late restart the current program....

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    meh, not impressed with this episode, made no sense, and was just ridiculous all round. Also felt really stilted, the script was just not very good in my opinion. Actors were fine, just could not salvage it.
    Ditto, didn't like it when it leaked...i'm just waiting for listen.. the thing under the bed sheets was rather scary :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    It does....you can watch it live, and if you are late restart the current program....
    Really? Becomes it's now like ten minutes after the episode and it's not there? Can someone link it?

15+ Year Old Account
    And I just got home from work, british one is already done huh? Guess ill try to catch the US one then.

10+ Year Old Account
    I liked it. It was pretty funny, the story was totally insane, but what do you expect from an episode about Robots in old time england? Decent action and I totally didn't notice the edit. It was basically a fluff episode, but it was good fluff, so I'm ok.

Next week however... That looks fucking terrifying... Can't WAIT!
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30