Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I really adored the latest episode. Maximum silliness and swashbuckling clichés all over the place get a thumbs up from me. It's been a while since I remember an episode being this much fun. The Doctor and Robin had some fantastic exchanges, Clara continued to be a competent, self-reliant, interesting companion, and there was even a nice little bit of emotional meta-commentary at the end.

My only slight niggle was the robot knights. Their big dumb robot faces were way less intimidating and cool than if they'd just kept the helmets on the whole time. And they didn't really need human-melting lasers either.

Still! One of my favourites so far. And I'm pleased that Mark Gatiss has been on point with his last few episodes after some really weak ones in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Skandulous View Post
    Last season the episodes were good and when things looked bad for The Doctor and his companions the I am the Doctor music would start playing and he would do something badass and save the day.
    And this is somehow a positive to you?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondercrab View Post
    I really adored the latest episode. Maximum silliness and swashbuckling clichés all over the place get a thumbs up from me. It's been a while since I remember an episode being this much fun. The Doctor and Robin had some fantastic exchanges, Clara continued to be a competent, self-reliant, interesting companion, and there was even a nice little bit of emotional meta-commentary at the end.

My only slight niggle was the robot knights. Their big dumb robot faces were way less intimidating and cool than if they'd just kept the helmets on the whole time. And they didn't really need human-melting lasers either.

Still! One of my favourites so far. And I'm pleased that Mark Gatiss has been on point with his last few episodes after some really weak ones in the past.
    Spot on, imo. It's silly, it's fun, some levity is needed after the doctor potentially killed someone (even if only a robot) and abandoned another to their death (the two soldiers) quite readily. Plus the robin hood mythos is particularly relevant to the doctors own (becoming a legend rather than an actual being) and that was, I thought, an apt comparison to be making.
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

This show is still the best SciFi Shows that are out there !

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Eh, I liked it up until the end, but it wasn't as good as the first two.

But as I already said, every season has had a weak episode or two.
    I feel like the story is a bit better,well not better but done better, the ending was bad though. The second was okay but...I don't know, was not done as well.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

This episode , the Doctor felt like the 3rd Doctor. Just the vibe i picked up.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    On the topic if off-screen adventures...

Where DID Jenny, Strax and Vastra come from, anyway? I cant even remember. The most I remember is, they randomly showed up around the time of A Good Man Goes to War, but how? Where? When were they established as characters? They just sort of were there all of a sudden and acted like they already had established characters
    Yes you are correct.

However, the characters of Vastra and Strax are representatives of races the Doctor has defeated many times, so the implication is not everyone from the weekly monster races has to be evil.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Houyi View Post
    I never said the master.
    not you, but many other have said it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    lol, because of that, I now follow Tom.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    lol, because of that, I now follow Tom.
    he was a really good robin hood. the chemistry he had with capaldi was great.
    Hi

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    I understand that, but it did still explode in the end. But what was so special about the gold that by somehow managing to shoot it with an arrow gets the gold into its system so it can fly? It somehow penetrated the hull and went into the engine? Doesn't make sense.
    2cents, gold plated.

OK time for my take on "Robot of Sherwood".

After 2 dark episodes, we really needed a light hearted episode which didn't take itself too serious. The humor made it easy to forgive some of the bad effects, and impossible gags. Most of the impossible gags were taken directly from other Doctor Who episodes from the Classic era, or from Disney's Robin Hood, the one with the animals playing all the parts.

Flaws from the top.

1. No one knows how to Sword fight, or pull a bow.
    2. Cutting the flag, impossible without an invention by the late great Stuntman "Dar Robinson" - the Decelerator

First used to do the same stunt in "The Goonies" by the Stunt Actor Randell D. Widner
    3. Range of an Arrow shot from a Longbow:

Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    The range of the medieval weapon is not accurately known, with much depending on both the power of the bow and the type of arrow. It has been suggested that a flight arrow of a professional archer of Edward III's time would reach 400 yd (370 m)[23] but the longest mark shot at on the London practice ground of Finsbury Fields in the 16th century was 345 yd (315 m).[24] In 1542, Henry VIII set a minimum practice range for adults using flight arrows of 220 yd (200 m); ranges below this had to be shot with heavy arrows.[25] Modern experiments broadly concur with these historical ranges. A 667 N (150 lbf) Mary Rose replica longbow was able to shoot a 53.6 g (1.89 oz) arrow 328 m (359 yd) and a 95.9 g (3.38 oz) a distance of 249.9 m (273.3 yd).[26] In 2012, Joe Gibbs shot a 2.25 oz (64 g) livery arrow 292 yd (267 m) with 170 lbf yew bow.[27]
    Distance to space ship trying to escape Earth, 500 yards (457.2m) minimum, lets just say if they were shooting a light normal arrow, and the wind was on their side they might just barely get that shot. But they were shooting an Arrow made of pure gold.

typical arrow weighs under 10 grams (0.35274ounch) per inch.
    Gold weighs a whole lot more. ie that arrow would be over 10 pounds (4.53592kg) if made that size.

It definitely would not fly.

But still the story, and the telling was right out of Classic Who, also the space ship. Was a redesign of Thunderbird 3.

So yes lots of silliness, but all in all it was a good episode. It also showed the new doctor being immature in a way fitting of classic Doctor Who. A thing missing from Recent Doctor Who episodes.

Such much negativity in this community, and this site in general.

I don't know why, but I instantly accept Capaldi as the doctor, in previous regenerations it always took me at least a season to warm up to the new doctor but he just feels so natural at it that I feel like he's always been the doctor. He seems to combine the best attributes of past doctors without relying on niche character traits.

Also people complaining about silliness in doctor who episodes is just... what? I mean really? Are you new to the show or something? Am I the only one who remembers the doctor(s) defeating Omega with a recorder? And you want to complain about a golden arrow?
    Last edited by Redmage; 2014-09-08 at 09:12 AM.
    Slaying 8bit dragons with 6 pixel long swords since 1987.

10+ Year Old Account
    Btw anyone that wants the episode listen spoiled-

Clara enjoys grabbing childrens feet. Especially a certain timelords feet when he was a child :S

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Anyway, for those of you still confused about if Robin Hood was a robot, the Sheriff of Nottingham was actually a robot and not Robin. There is a deleted scene where the Sheriff is decapitated and th n screws his head back onto his body. The major points learned from this episode are that the Promised Land is an actual physical location and also that various robotic beings are traveling there (the clockwork bots, these random cross-laser ones, and presumably the Cybermen from the finale).
    You clearly didnt watch episode 2 didnt you? a girl went to the promised land and she clearly wasnt a ROBOT.

SO I just watch the first 3 episodes in a row and liked them alot and Capaldi did what I didnt expected - he IS the new Doctor and hes good.
    Cant wait to see the Heist wich was my fav second to robin after reading the leaked scripts

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    You clearly didnt watch episode 2 didnt you? a girl went to the promised land and she clearly wasnt a ROBOT.
    I think they meant that so far it's only robots who are aiming to reach the Promised Land. And tbh I doubt this heaven place is actually the Promised Land.

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I think they meant that so far it's only robots who are aiming to reach the Promised Land. And tbh I doubt this heaven place is actually the Promised Land.
    Missy said it was though. And yeah, The Promised Land seems like a robot thing, especially when you consider that Cybermen are the villains of the finale.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    It wasn't about destroying it, it was about the ship having enough gold to get into orbit.
    and an arrow shot into the outer hull did this how exactly? as opposed to the massive amounts of gold circuits they were making earlier that were you know actually part of the ship?

That was just cringefully bad, it was almost satirical.

Also the idea of actually shooting a gold arrow is hilarious, but I'll let that one slide.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Missy said it was though. And yeah, The Promised Land seems like a robot thing, especially when you consider that Cybermen are the villains of the finale.
    Cept cybermen are not robots.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    They're robot enough.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    In this day and age, who are you to label them as 'not robots'? Perhaps they identify as robots? This is so typical of the flesh dominated oppression regime so common today. It's bad enough they have to conform to anthropomorphic standards laid down by society, but to deny how they feel about themselves is pure crass.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    They're robot enough.
    Don't judge a book by its cover
    I guess daleks are robots too?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    In this day and age, who are you to label them as 'not robots'? Perhaps they identify as robots? This is so typical of the flesh dominated oppression regime so common today. It's bad enough they have to conform to anthropomorphic standards laid down by society, but to deny how they feel about themselves is pure crass.
    They do not consider themselves as robots, they are better humans. Upgraded humans. You will be upgraded.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side