Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

i think the fact that it was likely the only of its kind in the universe. and from what i could tell earths first real sure fire proof of aliens that cant be covered up and suppressed by the government played a big role.

"oh we just found an alien! LETS KILL IT"

probably isnt the first thing alot of people think.

although i think it was pretty silly pretty much ALL the lights went out. wouldve been a little realistic if atleast like 20 - 30% of lights were still on
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    An incubating egg doesn't suddenly gain the mass of the baby shortly before hatching. The mass has always been there in the form of the yolk and white, it just changes from one form to another. The science of that episode was completely ridiculous, yes, even for Dr Who standards. Such a shame.
    Yeah, but the baby laid a new moon/egg. Cos science !!

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Yeah, but the baby laid a new moon/egg. Cos science !!
    That was a little far-fetched for sure. How can you lay an egg bigger than yourself? Wha? I fully expected the tide to start withdrawing while Capaldi was standing on the beach giving his little speech. But the moon randomly reappearing instead was a bit odd and sudden.

Also, the entire concept of asking humanity if they want to let this being live or not was stupid. Of course humanity would choose to kill it; was there ever any doubt? And if Clara was just going to disobey the order then why did she ask the question to begin with? She didn't want to make the decision on her own but then she did anyway. Nonsense.

I still loved this episode despite the amateurish scenario. I'm looking forward to the Orient Express.

10+ Year Old Account
    Personally, as much as I like looking at her ( /perv), I felt myself becoming bored every time she opened her mouth this episode. I dunno, it feels like I'm just edging closer and closer towards disliking her. I miss 11 and Pond

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    He should remind you of the Valeyard because that's a future regeneration of his. The Doctor lives his life in darker hues every day, according to the Great Intelligence. I'm waiting for the point in the series where the Doctor knowingly sacrifices someone because I think it's coming. He's indirectly been responsible for a few deaths already but the moment he outright kills / lets die will be important to watch. Even though Ten and Eleven both killed, I can't wait to see Capaldi break bad. I think he murdered that robot in the season premiere but that's not the same as killing a human.
    I disagree, he himself said it was more human than robot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yeah i was half expecting her to say she was captain adelaide brooke :S
    I thought this as well.

As for the other egg thing...did you guys really not expect it? For a bit I thought they were not going to do it.

As for the windex thing, they explained it. those spider things were kind of like an immune system for the egg thing or bacteria(though they are not the same) and windex is supposed to kill those things. In our bodies we actually have more bacteria than we have cells.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Star Trek was never about science either. But at least they tried to follow it.
    Star Trek did not, even slightly, try to "follow" science. It's at least as bad as Doctor Who for just making up nonsense as it goes. It just tries to hide that fact beyond techbabble.

For instance, you can pretty much guarantee that every time they mention "tachyons" in TNG, the writers don't actually know what tachyons are, they just sound "sciencey".

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Early in the episode the astronaut mentioned that the upset moon is causing a lot of natural disasters on Earth, seemed pretty implied that the situation was very dire as it was, the hatching would probably make things plenty worse.
    Like I said. Fear. The decision was about whether humanity would choose fear and violence over trust and hope.

10+ Year Old Account
    I fell for Pond instantly. I'm sure it's nothing to do with her being a gorgeous redhead (not instantly as in when she was a kid >.<)

But no, I dunno, I just preferred that combo.

So many posts being deleted from this thread (i bookmark by post number), what's going on !!

15+ Year Old Account
    I *still* find her more likable than Amy. But maybe I just really, really didn't like Amy! But I don't mind that it looks like she'll be leaving soon. Until the conversation with Mr. Pink I was really sure this was her second to last episode

- - - Updated - - -

Anyone got the math on that, by the way? Like, if a human were the size of the moon, is that really the equivalent size of bacteria?
    The biggest bacteria is .0005 cm, average us male is like...178cm. The moon's diameter is like....173750000cm. So like....1007.25cm, so like 5 and a half humans.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I *still* find her more likable than Amy. But maybe I just really, really didn't like Amy! But I don't mind that it looks like she'll be leaving soon. Until the conversation with Mr. Pink I was really sure this was her second to last episode
    All of the previous companions have always had something that's put me off quite a bit.
    Clara isn't an amazing character by any means, but she's totally solid and doesn't have any of the glaring issues I've had with previous companions so far.
    Rose's whole love thing with the Doctor really made me squirm. It came across as so shallow and fanfiction-esque that I just couldn't stomach it. Martha was fine (and actually showed signs of becoming kind of interesting, but only after she departed as a full-time companion), but she suffered from retreading the same "oh mah gaw, I'm so infatuated with the Doctor~" ground as Rose did.

Donna is probably a companion you either love or hate depending on how familiar you are with Catherine Tate as an actress. I think the *character* is actually pretty good and solid as a companion, but every time I watched her episodes I could only think of the actress playing every other character she's ever done. She doesn't have the range for varied roles, I don't think.

I actually think Amy is the best companion all-around if you look at her first season in a bubble. She was something different, and she had a fantastic arc with Rory and learning to appreciate what she had, with lots of neat bits of character advancement scattered throughout the series. Unfortunately she just didn't have anything going on on a character level after that. Her time-preggers thing was purely plot material, and despite some strong Amy/Rory relationship episodes, I never got that same sense of meaningful emotional development as in her first series. She outstayed her welcome, and I don't think the writers really knew what to do with her.
    Last edited by Wondercrab; 2014-10-05 at 06:16 PM.

I like Clara more and more, and screw it, the Moon being an egg is my new headcanon for reality.

1. Listen
    2. The Caretaker
    3. Kill the Moon
    4. Deep Breath
    5. Robot of Sherwood
    6. Time Heist
    7. Into the Dalek

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    For instance, you can pretty much guarantee that every time they mention "tachyons" in TNG, the writers don't actually know what tachyons are, they just sound "sciencey".
    What do you mean ARE? There are no tachyons (found) - it's a hypothetical "time" particle that has speed greater than speed of light thus it travels back in time. I'm pretty sure Star Trek writers KNEW this. Hence tachyons almost all of the time had something to do with time travel, cloaking devices, teleportation, communication, etc - something a real tachyon would've been used for - in the future if it existed?
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    im loving Capaldi as the doctor, think he's brilliant. just got to watching "the thick of it" as well since i liked him so much in doctor who, both good shows!

and about the last episode, i didn't really like it that much. first off, children in doctor who always annoy me, i hope she won't be travelling again. with each passing episode i'm getting more and more sick of Clara. i liked Capaldi saying he can't get involved, was like a nod back to waters of mars when he tried to get involved in a similar event and messed it all up, so this time he left to make sure he didn't get involved. and at the end, how did the dragon thing lay an egg, bigger than itself 30 seconds after hatching?

i just didn't enjoy this episode at all, worst one of Capaldis run so far for me.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    What do you mean ARE? There are no tachyons (found) - it's a hypothetical "time" particle that has speed greater than speed of light thus it travels back in time. I'm pretty sure Star Trek writers KNEW this. Hence tachyons almost all of the time had something to do with time travel, cloaking devices, teleportation, communication, etc - something a real tachyon would've been used for - in the future if it existed?
    "Tachyon" has a specific meaning, in science, theoretical though it may be.

Also, tachyons are not "time" particles. They're a theoretical based on the premise that e=mc2 sets a speed limit on particles, but it is a speed limit that is fundamentally based on mass; tachyons represent the possibility of massless particles that can travel faster than c. Technically, it's a hypothetical class of particles, too; there could easily be more than one type, just as there's multiple types that travel slower than light.

The idea that they're a "time particle" that have something to do with time travel is exactly the kind of unscientific techbabble that I was talking about. It's just false, and doesn't accurately represent what theoretical physicists define as a "tachyon".

I must have a totally different expectation for Doctor Who than a lot of you because every episode I love you guys & gals seem to hate on, and vice versa. If we're stuck with these 45 minute episodes that don't become serials then I at least like my episodes to be fully sound and make sense within themselves, instead of randomly throwing things in that seem out of context. Every episode so far has some positives and negatives, but my favorites are the ones that get me involved in the storyline and keep me involved.

My rankings for series 8 so far:
    1. Time Heist - best arc accomplished in 45 mins, but companions could've been better.
    2. Kill the Moon - great arc with a little terror, but the science made no sense.
    3. The Caretaker - good side character development, but Capaldi way overacted.
    4. Deep Breath - back half about the clockworks was well done, first half was bizarre.
    5. Listen - wonderful story & relateable, completely ruined by half-ass ending.
    6. Into the Dalek - generic crap about how the Doctor is bad, just dumb overall.
    7. Robot of Sherwood - campy garbage.

"I'm not saying I have writers on Dr. Who, who are fans. But it's obvious now." - jesse cox

i thought the exact same thing when i saw the giant space butterfly lol

and my rankings so far would be

1. time heist
    2. deep breath
    3. the caretaker
    4. into the dalek
    5. listen
    6. robot of sherwood
    7. kill the moon
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Argh, that episode was good, but I hate it when you barely even see the big reveal. I kinda wanted a bit more of the monster in the shots. Hope they start exploring that heaven stuff soon, should be interesting.
    Well seeing as the finalé is a 2parter all about it, I think you'll get your wish soon :P.

Kill the Moon seems to have been a pretty divisive episode, even more so than Listen. That kinda seems to be the theme for Capaldi though, he's quite a divisive doctor.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    For those still inaccurately stating that the Valeyard is a future regeneration of the Doctor, he is not. The Valeyard is a combination of the negative attributes of the Doctor given form. Sort of like Shadow Link or Bizzaro Superman.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

the valeyard could really be anything they want it to be. the only thing we know for sure about him is that he has the exact same dna as the doctor and lies alot

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    "The survival of the human race" wasn't clearly at risk.
    I think you are significantly understating the importance of the moon. Best case scenario the tides stop. Most likely scenario, tides stop, earth wobbles more causing crazy weather shifts and maybe even ending seasons. Worst case scenario all the above with the perk of the earth changing its orbit. 2/3 of those scenarios would essentially end life on earth and that's assuming that the creature wouldn't attack earth.

By killing the creature you would leave a large enough chunk of the moon intact which would keep things mostly the same as before.
    My System
    Ivy Bridge 3570k OC 4.0
    ASRock Z77 Extreme4
    Saphire 290
    Mushkin Enhanced Blackline Frostbyte DDR3 1600 8GB

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by theturn View Post
    I think you are significantly understating the importance of the moon. Best case scenario the tides stop. Most likely scenario, tides stop, earth wobbles more causing crazy weather shifts and maybe even ending seasons. Worst case scenario all the above with the perk of the earth changing its orbit. 2/3 of those scenarios would essentially end life on earth and that's assuming that the creature wouldn't attack earth.

By killing the creature you would leave a large enough chunk of the moon intact which would keep things mostly the same as before.
    Most of what you describe simply wouldn't happen without the moon. Seasons are caused by axial tilt, which has nothing to do with a moon; plenty of other planets have axial tilts, regardless of whether they have moons or not. Same for changing orbit; the moon's orbit causes us to wiggle along our orbit, but it vanishing would remove that wiggle, not change our orbit in any more significant sense.

Tides, sure, but the end of tidal forces wouldn't kill humanity.

Again, what you're describing is exactly the lashing-out in fear that humanity basically chose, in the episode. It isn't justified, and saying "but look, there's stuff to be afraid of" doesn't help make your case.