Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think it helped that both of her episodes ran concurrently, it felt like there should have been a break between them.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Or better yet: a single episode with the whole arc.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Or better yet: a single episode with the whole arc.
    Nah, that'd have been much worse. The whole idea is that she takes the slow path, and the Doctor flits about willy-nilly. We saw in the Me episode that he checked in on her periodically unbeknownst to her, so some amount of time needed to have passed for the Doctor as well. Having that vignette of 'moments' in a single episode with the original Norse story and the Victorian story would have been way too cluttered. Since some time passed for the Doctor between the stories, and centuries passed for her, it would have been more impactful if the audience needed to wait more than a week to see the consequence of his actions.

Deleted
    Episode 10 synopsis :

The Doctor and Clara, with their old friend Rigsy, find themselves in a magical alien world, hidden on a street in the heart of London.
    Sheltered within are some of the most fearsome creatures of the universe… and Ashildr (Maisie Williams)! With a death sentence hanging over their heads, not all of the intruders will get out alive.

Writer: Sarah Dollard. Director: Justin Molotnikov. Producer: Nikki Wilson
    Cast: Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman
    Guest cast: Maisie Williams, Joivan Wade, Naomi Ackie, Simon Manyonda, Simon Paisley Day, Letitia Wright, Robin Soans, Angela Clerkin, Caroline Boulton, Jenny Lee.

This means that Clara still isn't dead, sadly.

Regarding last episode :

Except the fact that Kate went alone in New Mexico (seriously, she's one of the head of UNIT, there's an alien invasion, and she's allowed to go alone in the middle of nowhere to be in a potentially dangerous situation ?) and the fact that ZygClara and the other lady (which I forgot the name) went into the tunnel with the light off the phone on, I really liked it, probably my favorite this season.

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post
    Except the fact that Kate went alone in New Mexico (seriously, she's one of the head of UNIT, there's an alien invasion, and she's allowed to go alone in the middle of nowhere to be in a potentially dangerous situation ?) and the fact that ZygClara and the other lady (which I forgot the name) went into the tunnel with the light off the phone on, I really liked it, probably my favorite this season.
    They were using the phone as a torch; what other source of light should they have used?

Remember, just because a scene appears to be well lit doesn't mean it is - everything being visible is for the audience's sake, and if the characters need to pull out a light source, that implies that the location is a lot darker in-universe than it appears onscreen.

Deleted
    Yeah but I couldn't help but cringe, as "ok, you want to investigate, why not, but why on earth would you have a giant light coming from you, making you detectable very easily, given that the bad guys are less than 50 meters away from you".

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    How about Netflix announcing to bring back Firefly, but starring Jenna Coleman?
    I call that a confused boner.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

15+ Year Old Account
    Finally watched the last 4 episodes.

4 was really good, I love how it starts by talking directly to everyone who keeps talking about paradoxes in the series (Felt like a big "Hey, this episode is about things that you won't be able to explain, we know, that's the show" )

5 quite good, except for Ashildr, that character/actress was quite terrible, but we didn't see a lot of her in that one so that wasn't too bad. Lots of funny moments overall.

6 was meh. Nothing credible, and tons more terrible acting. After ep 5 I hoped we wouldn't see her again immediately, and that at least she'd age a little when we'd do (and change actress), but nope. Definitely the worst episode for now in this season.

7 was interesting, some slightly stupid parts (that church scene... >.<), but overall good. Needs more Osgood.

To sum it up for me, first 4 episodes were some of the best of DW 2005. Feels like quality is going down quite a lot after these.

Edit: also, Clara is really good in this one. I don't want to see her go :'(
    Oh, hi.

Quote Originally Posted by Ysilla

5 quite good, except for Ashildr, that character/actress was quite terrible, but we didn't see a lot of her in that one so that wasn't too bad. Lots of funny moments overall.

6 was meh. Nothing credible, and tons more terrible acting. After ep 5 I hoped we wouldn't see her again immediately, and that at least she'd age a little when we'd do (and change actress), but nope. Definitely the worst episode for now in this season.
    Ysilla can't handle Arya Stark.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I felt she was better in the second than the first episode, but never saw what people were raving about. It wouldn't surprise me if there was bias/previous liking to her due to her Game of Thrones work. Hell, one of the TV magazines I saw at work said something like Doctor Who meets Game of Thrones.

I wouldn't say she was bad, but there was no special element(s) to single her out as she had been. /opinions

Oh and evil Clara is haaaawt, and looks slightly taller, maybe the shoes.
    Last edited by Rixis; 2015-11-06 at 12:32 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I found her quite good in GoT. But here... don't know, kind of felt like they tried to give her the same kind of environment she had in the series (I mean, almost every character from the first episode could appear in GoT without anyone noticing a difference, just remove the horns), with also the same kind of character development between the 2 episodes.

Was also not really a fan of how they solved the issue in that first episode. I have no idea how the greatest warriors in the galaxy weren't prepared for something like that, they must have fought terrible oponents if they can't handle some electric eels and if their vision thingy can be altered by anyone with a helm. But well, that's more Doctor Who like.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    /signed *.*
    Oh, hi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rixis View Post
    Indeed... Why are the evil/insane ones always hotter... I don't get it.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Indeed... Why are the evil/insane ones always hotter... I don't get it.
    We know we can't have them hence we want them

10+ Year Old Account
    I think it's a projection of power. She looks taller, smarter (dressed), more stand off ish.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic209 View Post
    We know we can't have them hence we want them
    I don't know about you, but I've had more than my fair share of evil/insane girlfriends .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Holy damn, Capaldi you're really the best.

15+ Year Old Account
    That speech from Basil was so epic, decent episode, better than the first. Next weeks looks fairly meh, from the trailer at least.

Deleted
    So the Zygon story. Im going to express my feelings about it with some spoilers:

First off, I keep getting annoyed about this episode because of the idea that UNIT can make the decision to let 20 Million Aliens that can take the form of anyone, shoot lazers and have been hostile to humanity before and let them live on earth. Its stupid. Yes, I see the immigration paralls, but this is still absurd.

Then we have Clara. At this point, Clara is writen as the supreme moral authority of the Universe. Referencing that cheap cop out of not using the moment in Day of the Doctor made me cringe. But its fine to not have to do the horrific act because "the Daleks will die in the crossfire". Honestly, how many more Clara episodes do we have left? Hopefully we get a less......frustrating character as the next companion. Someone like Rose or Martha where we get to see their lives before the Doctor and a clear sense of who they are.

Clara's family has been mentioned once, in the Bells of Saint John and we dont even know her father's name. Honestly I dont know who Clara is. All I know is that she is written as a better and more important character than the Doctor. 127 Calls to Clara??

What was the deal with the Doctor asking Osgod if she was the Zygon? It makes him seem dumb and racist. Why should he care? Furthermore, Osgod didnt do anything this entire story. Looking back at it, she only exists in the second part for the Doctor to have someone to speak to. Defending Earth eh? More like hiding under desks and being 100% usless.

I like Capaldi talking about the war and his monologue. But really, has the Doctor ever been opressed and lived in hiding? Maybe Bonnie got tortured by humans when she was young or some such? But yeah, the box thing is pretty clever writing. Problem is Bonnie really wanted to die or have a war. She said so herself. So she should have pushed either button.

The episode's usage of forgivness is absurd and offensive. Bonnie and the evil Zygons probably killed hundreds of humans and atleast 3 Zygons. But because the Doctor forgives it, its all fine and dandy. Seriously, either Kate or Osgod should have shot Bonnie in the climax scene. Having Zygon Osgod stand up and take out this threat to both species would have made me accept that Zygons and Humans stand together. Bonnie is a murderer and should have had to pay the price. Either by Human or Zygon law.

But instead its a mind wipe and some other Zygon like Bonnie is going to appear and start again. The friction and displeased Zygons are still there.

Kate is probably the worst part of this episode. So she goes to Mexico alone, but fortunatly only one Zygon try to stop her and not like 10 of them. I also dont understand the humans having any interrest in pressing those buttons in the climax. Blow up London or kill all Zygons was it? 100% not worth playing for the humans.

Final words: I miss Torchwood. Dark grim stories where people had to pay the price and things could go reeeeeealy bad. Here is all smile and sunshine, mass murderer Bonnie is now friend with Osgod! YAY!

I hope the families of the Soldiers who died in the church forgave Bonnie too.
    Last edited by mmocce3e2c6f69; 2015-11-08 at 02:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sukramo View Post
    Final words: I miss Torchwood. Dark grim stories where people had to pay the price and things could go reeeeeealy bad. Here is all smile and sunshine, mass murderer Bonnie is now friend with Osgod! YAY!

People to remember it's a "family" show which makes millions from selling merchandise and action figures to kids. Every writing decision is based on that. The change in Capaldi's outfit and the introduction of sonic glasses epitomizes that.
    Quote Originally Posted by rogoth View Post
    I'm glad you brought up IQ, the last standardised IQ test I took I scored a 127, the threshold for 'Genius' is 140, and the threshold for 'Gifted Genius' is 165+, based on the fact the global average IQ is 84, and the fact you're likely Americanwhere the national IQ is BELOW the global average and falling consistently which has led to calls for global intervention in your abysmal education system, I feel you have VERY LITTLE room to talk about IQ levels, but thanks for trying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sukramo View Post
    I hope the families of the Soldiers who died in the church forgave Bonnie too.
    So much hate... why you watch the show again?
    PS: you didnt listen, did you? this was the 16th time this kinda thing happened...

I really liked the episode.