Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Tommo View Post
    Can anyone explain to me why Doctor who nowadays lasts for like 5 episodes a series then quits until christmas? Its fckin annoying, I remember when I was younger there was an episode like every week for months until christmas. And the episodes seem to be getting a bit more halfassed, like that angel one was just.. facedesk.
    Trying to appeal to Americans...havn't you noticed all the american themed episodes? Cowboys, giant statue of librarty angels, white house

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Can anyone explain to me why Doctor who nowadays lasts for like 5 episodes a series then quits until christmas? Its fckin annoying, I remember when I was younger there was an episode like every week for months until christmas. And the episodes seem to be getting a bit more halfassed, like that angel one was just.. facedesk.
    Depending when you where a kid, and which Doctor was your first could answer that question.

But for simplicity I'll do my best.

Classic Dr Who from 60s-80s was based on the serial series format Each season was divided in to serials which told a story arch. These serials would cover between 4-6 episodes which where all filmed at the same time, the BBC used this method because they could film 24-48 episodes for the cost of 5-6 episodes. it allowed for the show to have a new episode almost every week during a year as well.

The restarted Doctor Who under Russel T Davis (RTD) he used the American formula method of making the episodes, which meant he would film 12-13 episodes a year. The Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston has a film career and could only promise one season, which was fine because RTD wrote the series to have a regeneration at the end, which is where we get David Tennant, he quickly became one of the most popular Doctors ever in history, so when he was offered the prestigious role in Royal Shakespeare Company (RSC), to play Hamlet (alongside Patrick Stewart) he had to accept, which caused Doctor Who to make a season of Specials, also David Tennant and RTD were ready to move on from Doctor Who, this caused RTD to hand over control to Steven Moffat (SteveMo).

Since SteveMo took over he has split two out of three seasons for different reasons. The 2011 season had a one month gap, mostly for scheduling reasons with the BBC. And the 2012-2013 season had to be split up because of the Olympics. And has been stretched to make the final episode coincide with the first airing of Doctor Who 50th anniversary. 23 November 1963-23 November 2013
    Last edited by Gothicshark; 2013-01-02 at 04:41 PM.

Other shows have a massive mid-season break. Burn Notice does this which is annoying because I completely forget to tune back in. Eureka started doing this before the end.

I would much prefer series broken up into 30 minute segments, so they can double the length of time they are on the air in a calendar year. Modern shows take these huge 1 hour blocs, run for 13 weeks, then are gone forever and you forget to tune back in the next season because they are gone so long.

You get 14 episodes counting the xmas special. Cut them all in half for 28 episodes. I'd love to see something like start in October with 30 minute episodes, 4 in october, 4 in November, break for 3 weeks, xmas special around xmas as a two-parter, then 4 in january, 4 in february, 4 in march, 4 in april, 2 in may.
    Last edited by Grummgug; 2013-01-02 at 05:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Trying to appeal to Americans...havn't you noticed all the american themed episodes? Cowboys, giant statue of librarty angels, white house
    It can't be that they got tired of magically having problems in London every episode for 4 years on end? Everyone should have brain tumors from all the time manipulation and false memories they had of London being on the brink of apocalypse every other day. I love Doctor Who, but to claim that the writing is merely to engage an American audience is stretching it.

The Christmas special was great. I was very surprised by the chemistry and engagement of the side characters. The story was well written and I am very intrigued with the new companion's 'predicament'.

I love Doctor Who, but to claim that the writing is merely to engage an American audience is stretching it.
    Yes you are right, it's more that... i dislike Steven moffats stories he has created... river song/Amy/Rory are incredibly boring and I'm glad they are gone...River was mysterious in the library episode because we didn't know who she was but it's been dragged out for way too long...

every episode (excluding the christmas episode) was basically -

Doctor: hi, fez, cool, shiny, geronimo
    Amy: I love you doctor!
    Doctor: Eww...
    Rory: Hey! what about me?
    River: Hello sweety
    Monster: Rawr! Silence will fall!
    River: Spoilers!
    Rory: I'm dieing....
    Amy: QQ i love you rory
    Rory: Wait nm i got over it...
    River: Bai!
    Amy: I love you Rory and i will always choose you!
    Rory: <3
    Doctor: I'm all alone :*(

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    I cant remember ever seeing the doctor in asia / africa that much. But honestly, they could just try going to another planet. The story gets more stale the longer he stays on earth it seems. I wasnt a fan of the coyboys and the angel episode, I mean they turn around for a good 5 minutes and nothing happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    don't forget she also removed all memory of the Doctor from all Dalek memory. Which will be really interesting because someday the daleks will find a stored memory of an advanced race which will mention the timewar. How much more will the Daleks fear the Doctor after that?
    iirc, I think she didn't just erase him from the Dalek memory, but others as well. It's fuzzy and I can't remember specifically but I swear there was an episode or two where he expected things to recognize his name but they didn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    That makes sense, but tbh he can make it a homage to the classic openning and not make it look like it came from the 60s

As for the Cartmel Masterplan.... God I hope they do bring that into the new season, would be so freakin epic!
    At no point does the new opening look anything like what was being shown in the first few seasons of Doctor Who. Please go lookup Alpha Centauri if you need an example.
    Quote Originally Posted by melodramocracy View Post
    Gold and the 'need' for it in-game is easily one of the most overblown mindsets in this community.

I was watching some repeats the other day and I came across this;

I had to pause my TV at that exact moment because I couldn't believe that was David Morrissey in Doctor Who! It's weird when an actor gets a huge role and then you start noticing them in smaller roles from other older shows.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torethyr
    I thought doing the toothpaste-tube-squeeze and vigorous shake was the "traditional" way.

Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    iirc, I think she didn't just erase him from the Dalek memory, but others as well. It's fuzzy and I can't remember specifically but I swear there was an episode or two where he expected things to recognize his name but they didn't.
    I can't remember who it was, but there was somebody that asked the Doctor something like, 'how is it that nobody can remember the Doctor?'

He wasn't just erased from the Daleks memory, but any database that mentioned the Doctor (I believe).

I cant remember ever seeing the doctor in asia / africa that much. But honestly, they could just try going to another planet. The story gets more stale the longer he stays on earth it seems. I wasnt a fan of the cowboys and the angel episode, I mean they turn around for a good 5 minutes and nothing happens.
    What gets stale to me is when they don't really put him in no win situations and let it reveal something about his character. I can't believe they chickened out and never had the Doctor meet with Brian Williams (Rory's dad) face to face about losing his son and daughter-in-law. What's the point of going through all of that and not have the payoff of the Doctor in a no-win situation? They just dodged the issue by having a storyboard / animated thing where Brian gets a letter in the mail about it and he just accepts it? That's terrible.

---------- Post added 2013-01-02 at 02:34 PM ----------

I had the impression that it was just the Daleks that got the memory wipe. Maybe other races might mention the Doctor, and the Daleks might see that, but they'd probably be too arrogant, not believing that someone could actually hack their pathweb and delete all those files, and instead scoff and consider stories about the Doctor as legit as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    I had the impression that it was just the Daleks that got the memory wipe. Maybe other races might mention the Doctor, and the Daleks might see that, but they'd probably be too arrogant, not believing that someone could actually hack their pathweb and delete all those files, and instead scoff and consider stories about the Doctor as legit as Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny.
    Yea that's how it was set-up... but then it was later revealed that it wasn't just them. What Grandpab mentioned sounds like what I am thinking of, I just can't remember specifically

Yea that's how it was set-up... but then it was later revealed that it wasn't just them. What Grandpab mentioned sounds like what I am thinking of, I just can't remember specifically
    I figured it out. It was River in the Angels Take Manhattan episode.

The Doctor asks her how prison was, she responds saying "I was pardoned ages ago. It turns out the person I killed never existed in the first place. Apparently there's no record of him. It's almost as if someones gone around deleting himself from every database in the universe, and now, no one's ever heard of you. Didn't you use to be someone?"

Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    I figured it out. It was River in the Angels Take Manhattan episode.

The Doctor asks her how prison was, she responds saying "I was pardoned ages ago. It turns out the person I killed never existed in the first place. Apparently there's no record of him. It's almost as if someones gone around deleting himself from every database in the universe, and now, no one's ever heard of you. Didn't you use to be someone?"
    Yes! Thanks Was driving me crazy and my Tivo deleted this whole season so I couldn't check

Squeeeeee

The BBC is slowly ramping up the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who this year. The anniversary special is filming in April, there's a specially commissioned drama about the shows creation being written by Mark Gatiss and now rumours are rife about a book of eleven short stories, each based on one of the Doctor's incarnations and each written by a famous author. Rumour is that JK Rowling has already been approached...

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    what ever the outcome, i think its going to be an interesting story to see what they do with Clara. the doctor knows somethings up.

funny episode, loved the sherlock holmes cross over

also, how much time has passed since tatm to this episode? as the doctor has changed a lot, so im guessing its a long time.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 01:25 AM ----------

yeah, wonder if they will ever pick that up, or just leave it open, maybe reference things she did after that if she is infact his daughter. never actually show what she did, just reference it sometimes. could see them doing that.

---------- Post added 2012-12-27 at 01:30 AM ----------

the reason i dont think she is the doctors daughter, first off her memory, time lords do not lose their memory when they regenerate, so she would remember the doctor from the the original episode. and 2nd, unless she got a time machine from somewhere, how did she get back to victorian england. the only thing that i can think of that explains the no memory of the doctor is that she infact a time lord, but somehow got hold of a chamelon arc, but then i think if a time lord dies while under the affects of a chamelon arc, he dies for good and does not regenerate.
    Well...She only asked "Doctor? Doctor who?" in a tone that could still mean "Doctor? Doctor who, you mean my father?" or is it just me?

Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    What gets stale to me is when they don't really put him in no win situations and let it reveal something about his character.

I remember one at least he was runing away from [forgot the race] and ended up in ancient england he had her assistant help him by removing his memory and implanting a fake one so he could lay low while danger passed unexpectedly this fake person fell in love and when it was revealed that he was the doctor and to save everyone he would have to erase his current personality this was devastating for the girl the doctor had fallen in love with and for the "fake" doctor as well.

seems like a lose lose to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Pvt Hudson View Post
    rumours are rife about a book of eleven short stories, each based on one of the Doctor's incarnations and each written by a famous author. Rumour is that JK Rowling has already been approached...
    AAWWEESSOOMMEE. Get JK to write the "Matt Smith" story, then get Niel Gaiman to write the "David Tennant" story and I can die happy
    Reading the A song of Ice and Fire series is like playing with an adorable puppy, then someone comes up out of nowhere and shoots the puppy, then punches you in the face

There is a rumor going around that Moffat intends to "restart" the series at the 50th anniversary.

Hmm, now I'm not sure what that would imply but here are some thoughts:
    1) Doctor erases himself from every database in the universe (River tells us this happens).
    2) The Doctor reveals his name on the fields of Trenzalore (which may be the passcode to unlock the Time War).
    3) Doctor's original reasons for leaving Gallafrey are found to be much more sinister (The Doctor Lies).

There's no evidence that there will be a "restart" but if the rumors are true, the consensus is that much of what we know about the Doctor will be revealed as false/a lie and therefore restore the mystery to his character. Any thoughts?

Dreadlord
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post

There's no evidence that there will be a "restart" but if the rumors are true, the consensus is that much of what we know about the Doctor will be revealed as false/a lie and therefore restore the mystery to his character. Any thoughts?
    honestly i am not really sure what we actually know about the doctor, a lot of information is contradicted many times over, from age, to his actual (going back to 1st incarnation) species, regeneration limitations, family. About the only thing that is genuinely consistent with him through 50 years of television is ...... the name "the Doctor"
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."