Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by fsdhjte View Post
    Mark Gattis as the doctor?

He is weird, Gay and Ginger.... HE WOULD BE PERFECT!!!
    God no. He's responsible for the hammiest dialogue, the panto feeling that inhabited many "horror" episodes. He has done the show a lot of good but PLEASE don't let him back in to do to it what he did to the Sherlock concept.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    I'm just gonna say it. I would love for Patrick Stewart to play the Doctor.
    Given his waning performance on Blunt Talk, I would not. Ian McKellen on the otherhand...

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    I always thought it would be cool if they took a break between a regeneration and did a prequel series with Paul McGann (the eighth Doctor) showcasing some of his adventures between the doctor who movie and his death in the war doctor story. He's one of my favourite doctors and I loved the doctor who animated mini series he was in from 2003.

Deleted
    I think Ayoade has the quirky side of the doctor down, but I've never seen him in any sort of dramatic role. He's a comedian (a great one) more than he is an actor imo.

Personally I think it's time for a female doctor and I think Haley Atwell could just well be the woman for the job. You can see her being nice one moment but absolutely ruthless the next - exactly the kind of range you need to play the doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Apparently this is a list of the bookies favourites to replace Capaldi... Word of warning, they could NOT have been more wrong last time and only had a spike in Capaldi's odds on the day he was announced.

That said, Here are 13 early favourites: http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/13-earl...ctor-83020.htm

For me, the only notable names are

Richard Ayoade. A great pick and he'd probably direct a few episodes as well, which could be fun... However, as he's just started hosting Crystal Maze I can't see him taking on another big project like this.

Olivia Coleman. LEGENDARY actor and has worked with Chris before, so he knows how good she is... Honestly, while I'm against them fucking with the role too much, I've been saying for years now that IF we had to have a female Doctor, I'd want it to be her.

Russel Tovey. I've wanted him to be the Doctor since Tennant left... If rumours are to be trusted, when they were casting Smith it was down to Tovey and Smith, with Smith just edging him out at the finishing post, so it could be a good chance for him.

Jason Flemyng. I hadn't even thought of him, then he popped up on this list and now I'm all for it. He'd be a good balance between Tennant/Smith's bounciness and Capaldi's gruffness.

My absolute NOs.

Andrew Scott. I don't know why, but he really annoys me. I loved him first turn as Moriarty, but since then he's gotten progressively worse and now I can't stand him.

Ben Whishaw. Is it just me of does he have THE WORLD'S MOST PUNCHABLE FACE...
    Actually Ben Whishaw is probably the best overall fit for the tenant / matt smith era.
    Dragonflight Summary, "Because friendship is magic"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    Actually Ben Whishaw is probably the best overall fit for the tenant / matt smith era.
    I think that's exactly why I don't want him. He'd pretty clearly just be an attempt at being the new david tennant. Let's embrace the fact that the doctor's personality changes and have someone a bit different.

If the doctor is a woman I kind of hope it's a ginger actor. So she can look at her new body in the mirror, start freaking out and shout "oh my god! I'm ginger!"

Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I think that's exactly why I don't want him. He'd pretty clearly just be an attempt at being the new david tennant. Let's embrace the fact that the doctor's personality changes and have someone a bit different.

If the doctor is a woman I kind of hope it's a ginger actor. So she can look at her new body in the mirror, start freaking out and shout "oh my god! I'm ginger!"
    tbh I don't really want a female doctor. For the same reason I don't generally like books or really most tv series with a female lead. When I read/watch things I enjoy them by imagining myself in the shoes of the main character going on these adventures and doing all these fun and crazy things. I can't do that with a female character it just doesn't click well in my brain.

That's not me saying that women shouldn't be actors or main characters, it just won't necessarily be an instant watch for me.

Deleted
    tbh I don't really want a female doctor. For the same reason I don't generally like books or really most tv series with a female lead. When I read/watch things I enjoy them by imagining myself in the shoes of the main character going on these adventures and doing all these fun and crazy things. I can't do that with a female character it just doesn't click well in my brain.

That's not me saying that women shouldn't be actors or main characters, it just won't necessarily be an instant watch for me.
    My only issue with a female doctor is that i cant think of many actresses that i could see as the doctor. Who knows though, they may cast a woman, and it might surprise me.

Quote Originally Posted by peggleftw View Post
    My only issue with a female doctor is that i cant think of many actresses that i could see as the doctor. Who knows though, they may cast a woman, and it might surprise me.
    After watching doctor strange I can see Tilda Swinton as an interesting female doctor if they had to go the female route.

Deleted

Well I think you're missing out on a lot of great fiction as a result of that view. And nor are your subjective preferences on that matter a good objective argument for why there should not be a female doctor. The core of the character is change. We had a very extreme change in both appearance and personality between smith and capaldi and most people accepted it. Why should a superficial change in gender suddenly be too much?

Well I think you're missing out on a lot of great fiction as a result of that view. And nor are your subjective preferences on that matter a good objective argument for why there should not be a female doctor. The core of the character is change. We had a very extreme change in both appearance and personality between smith and capaldi and most people accepted it. Why should a superficial change in gender suddenly be too much?
    Oh i'd still give it a fair shot and i do enjoy some pretty great books with female leads (Honor Harrington, Paksenarrion) but it's not as easy for me to dive in as with a male character.

And I know we even have precedent for a female doctor, ie the master changed to a female at one point. I'm not saying the show SHOULDN'T go female doc I'm saying that I'd prefer more of the tenant / smith / eccleston era. I liked capaldi, especially in time heist. But I can rewatch tenant / smith episodes unendingly.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    No, Hugh Laurie all the way.
    Hugh laurie would be absolutely fucking amazing. Unfortunely, he is too expensive for BBC i'm sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Nemmar View Post
    Hugh laurie would be absolutely fucking amazing. Unfortunely, he is too expensive for BBC i'm sure.
    We can only dream about a world in which Hugh Laurie gets to be doctor who.

Deleted
    Oh i'd still give it a fair shot and i do enjoy some pretty great books with female leads (Honor Harrington, Paksenarrion) but it's not as easy for me to dive in as with a male character.

And I know we even have precedent for a female doctor, ie the master changed to a female at one point. I'm not saying the show SHOULDN'T go female doc I'm saying that I'd prefer more of the tenant / smith / eccleston era. I liked capaldi, especially in time heist. But I can rewatch tenant / smith episodes unendingly.
    Tennant was my favourite, and I loved Smith too. But we had 8 years of that quirky, goofy style of doctor so male or female I'd rather the doctor stayed away from that style for a while. It's why I'm quite opposed to casting someone like Ben Wishaw. I feel like attempting to recreate the 10/11 era would just end up with the new guy never living up to them.

Some potential casting ideas -

Hayley Atwell is definitely my first choice for the next doctor. Some other options:

I think Ruth Negga would be another great choice, she's got a great range from sassy and mysterious in SHIELD to tough and more than a little bit batshit in preacher. I could absolutely see her as a doctor who could go from kind and quirky to insane at the flip of a switch.

Riz Ahmed, would be a good choice for a more mild mannered and amicable doctor going off of his role as Bodhi in Rogue One.

If we're not going for the diversity cast Damian Lewis has the chops for it and we'd finally get ourselves a ginger doctor.

Tennant was my favourite, and I loved Smith too. But we had 8 years of that quirky, goofy style of doctor so male or female I'd rather the doctor stayed away from that style for a while. It's why I'm quite opposed to casting someone like Ben Wishaw. I feel like attempting to recreate the 10/11 era would just end up with the new guy never living up to them.

Some potential casting ideas -

Hayley Atwell is definitely my first choice for the next doctor. Some other options:

I think Ruth Negga would be another great choice, she's got a great range from sassy and mysterious in SHIELD to tough and more than a little bit batshit in preacher. I could absolutely see her as a doctor who could go from kind and quirky to insane at the flip of a switch.

Riz Ahmed, would be a good choice for a more mild mannered and amicable doctor going off of his role as Bodhi in Rogue One.

If we're not going for the diversity cast Damian Lewis has the chops for it and we'd finally get ourselves a ginger doctor.
    Ruth Negga would make an interesting doctor, I could see her as the door busting action doctor.

How do you feel about Hugh Laurie? Kind of get the been through a lot of years and complex stuff vibe that capaldi gave off while still having his own brand of insanity.

Oooo

What about Alexander Siddig (doctor bashir ds9). THAT would be an interesting choice.

Deleted
    Ruth Negga would make an interesting doctor, I could see her as the door busting action doctor.

How do you feel about Hugh Laurie? Kind of get the been through a lot of years and complex stuff vibe that capaldi gave off while still having his own brand of insanity.

Oooo

What about Alexander Siddig (doctor bashir ds9). THAT would be an interesting choice.
    I think Hugh Laurie would make a great doctor, but it would probably be a little too similar to Capaldi. Alexander Siddig is a pretty great choice.

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I feel like iZombie will be canceled soon enough. I like the show, just don't know that it has the numbers. But then again, it is a CW show, they're not as reliant on numbers as big as the networks.
    izombie is fine unless this season the ratings drop big time. last season they kept a large chunk of their viewers even after not following the flash anymore. the ratings will be down a little bit because ratings are down in general (all of the cw shows pretty much tied for their worst ratings in a while last week) but izombie should be safe
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

We can only dream about a world in which Hugh Laurie gets to be doctor who.
    His name isn't Doctor Who. It's the Doctor. Doctor Who is the name of the series.
    Kom graun, oso na graun op. Kom folau, oso na gyon op.

#IStandWithGinaCarano

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by mayhem008 View Post
    His name isn't Doctor Who. It's the Doctor. Doctor Who is the name of the series.
    That's a flag in the ground that was better left outside. We get controversial enough in here. He has many names, the most important of which we don't even know. Really wasn't necessary to try and get back into this line of debate.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you know who my dream doctor would be? David Tennant... *sobs uncontrollably*

10+ Year Old Account
    Well... Shit. that's twice in two days I've seen a name that I NEVER would have thought of for The Doctor, and now think it would really work. I think Ruth Negga would be a VERY interesting choice. Tbh, even if she doesn't get cast as the Doctor, I'd love to get her in the show in ANY role.

As for Hayley Atwell... Eww, no.

For me, it's Russel Tovey > Jason Flemyng > Olivia Coleman > Ruth Negga.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30