Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Considering how many people made that EXACT joke as soon as the new Doctor was revealed... I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the show runners leaning into the skid and embracing the joke.
    pays off many ways. throws a bit of sex into the mind (that matters in tv!). if this was a change for this doctor, the last thing it was was an accident/unwitting choice.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

i dont know it feels off

the best thing a actor can do is make the viewer see the scene as natural as possible

with her she dont give that, and worse it shows me a "forced" acting

will see when gets released but for me every tvshow/movie that gives me that forced acting/bad acting is totally a no go

10+ Year Old Account
    That trailer looks and sounds awful.

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm looking forward to the new season. We're made to wait so long between seasons these days that ANY new who is good who.
    Here is something to believe in!

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    you mean like allready been posted here before it started:
    More like did not go back to see if anyone else posted it.
    You cared enough to post.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    also the doctors new sonic is so cool! it looks like an alien technology instead of something ripped off a machine a mad scientist in the 60s would have lol

i know what im buying myself for christmas this year

I have concluded the new improved sonic screwdriver design is intended to resemble a vibrator and cause coverage and controversy. Once you get the image in your head with Jodie posing with it in some of the stills, you never get it out.

The initial outcry about this is expected/intended, imo. I mean, the sonic screwdriver has been fine for 12 male actors over 50+ years, why does it need to be made into a contoured shape for the first female? Coincidence?

the point is getting attention. ultimately it is all about viewers (advertising). if letting the lead hold a dildo helps raise those numbers, the network can do it. this is getting a fair amount of UK-centric attention. It is widely seen as looking like a vibrator - where folks seem to be stumbling is accepting that it was made to remind people of a vibrator INTENTIONALLY.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-24 at 04:41 AM.
    Authors I have enjoyed enough to mention here: JRR Tolkein, Poul Anderson,Jack Vance, Gene Wolfe, Glen Cook, Brian Stableford, MAR Barker, Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, WM Hodgson, Fredrick Brown, Robert SheckleyJohn Steakley, Joe Abercrombie, Robert Silverberg, the norse sagas, CJ Cherryh, PG Wodehouse, Clark Ashton Smith, Alastair Reynolds, Cordwainer Smith, LE Modesitt, L. Sprague de Camp & Fletcher Pratt, Stephen R Donaldon, and Jack L Chalker.

I feel like everyone who's saying it looks like a vibrator or a dildo have never seen either of these implements.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I feel like everyone who's saying it looks like a vibrator or a dildo have never seen either of these implements.
    I have a feeling a lot of them have never seen a vagina either.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Most if not all of the rough and sharp edges have been replaced with smoothed curves on this sonic, and there are not grabby calipers anymore either.

Would you rather:

or

or

TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Just saw the trailer and colour me unimpressed.

First off why does she have a Yorkshire accent? IMO the Doctor should never have a regional accent but i guess that went out of the window back with Christoper Ecceleston.

- - - Updated - - -

theres not many. even in classic who they were mostly modern day brits. there are outliers like leela and romana but to act like they were the norm is kind of ridiculous. would i prefer a companion from the past or the future or an alien? sure, im not gonna expect that though.
    Thing was even though i can link a ton of companions who wasnt from the day and age it was shown back then they couldnt have a companion with spock ears cause it would seem to much like star trek plus the budget restraints BUT this is 2018 not 1968!

There is no excuse not to go and experiment with companions cause if you have seen Delta and the Bannermen (dont btw its fucking shit) you saw aliens that look like grimaces penis but they through a transmogrification field so they looked human when they landed in supposedly 1950s Disney land.

All iam asking is just give us something different than a bunch of modern day cockneys! This show has the budget to give us companions from year 0 all the way to the end of the universe and give us companions from every planet in the universe so why give us companions from 2018 London?

This show could easily give us a someone who looks truly alien but then has to look human with some Dr chameleon tech to look human when they have to do a episode on earths history.

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    snip
    Smooth edges does not a dildo/vibrator make. In fact, quite the opposite.

The first two sonics you posted would make better dildos as long as certain parts weren't detachable and could get lost. The sonic has always looked phallic in nature. It's literally the Doctor's "magic stick," if he can hit once, he can hit twice.

10+ Year Old Account
    Smooth edges does not a dildo/vibrator make. In fact, quite the opposite.

The first two sonics you posted would make better dildos as long as certain parts weren't detachable and could get lost. The sonic has always looked phallic in nature. It's literally the Doctor's "magic stick," if he can hit once, he can hit twice.
    Can we get a temporary exception to post a picture of some actual dildos and vibrators? (I'm not entirely sure that's against the rules to begin with).

Because I feel like these people have never actually seen one.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Let's just move on from the sex toy/sonic screwdriver comparison discussion before it veers way into forbidden topics or images.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like any older UK posters to offer perspective on what tele standards were like in the mid-70s for the time Dr Who was on during most of tom baker's years.

I have read about the Mary Whitehouse issue regarding dr. who leading to changes in the last year baker was on, and if it was indeed on during a family/kid hour, some of the fantastic scripts from tom bakers years were very questionable for kids below 10? I have trouble not seeing how morbius brain screaming, or a mummy strangulation, or characters being threatened with and eventually some being put through a wood chipper/mulcher(!!, season 13 last episode) or any of a number of shock cliffhangers isn't something that I would, today, not let an 8-year-old watch, much less then where there was simply no resolution to the crisis for a week. This stuff looks like a good path to finding what gives your kid nightmares.

I would like to better understand the context of all this within UK/\BBC television standards in the mid-late 70s.]

It should be obvious, but to be clear, I am not criticizing the material itself - most of tom baker's years were the best dr. who I have ever seen - the cribbing of bits and pieces of classics, particularly horrors, worked very effectively and didn't demand too much in terms of exotic effects. The level of actual and implied violence makes for better drama and more effective stories, but it is notably higher than the norm during Jon Pertwee's years or before.
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-07-28 at 04:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    my brief review of Tomb of the Cybermen (season 5, Patrick Troughton)

This episode irked me so much I am actually writing about it. The concept had great potential for TV - but the plot of this episode seems to be moved forward by

1) archaeologists throwing levers anywhere and everywhere indiscriminately (not the conspirators, the rest of the clowns), once you are old enough to reason this just seems stupid.

2) the conspirators being painfully obvious and given repeated chances to make mischief, even put confined in a room with a weapon! they are never tied up or restrained when knocked unconscious. fallen cybermen are never made sure of (the controller) You don't make sure of your prisoners/fallen enemies..? I wonder if this was more to appeal to the under-12 crowd, since below a certain age kids wouldn't see the absurdity of this. It just seems like a very cheap short-cut in writing. I do realize mid-60s TV did this routinely, not just here, though this crowd seems particularly oblivious of how important it is to restrain the conspirators after the 2nd or 3rd repeated attempt.

edit - to be fair, the enemy getting a 2nd last chance in a drama is a very old story element and pre-dates recorded history if what we do have recorded is any guide, and what was done here might not seem out of place millenia ago (any classic greek theater scholars care to chime in?). I do think the plot device could have been used a bit more effectively here though for this medium.

3) the familiar plot device of companions being very foolish. it wasn't central to this story but need to add in the weird way bbc had their actors shoot weapons like they are some kind of squirt gun that needs that extra push forward when you pull the trigger...no aimed allowed (this was an issue through the pertwee years too, UNIT combat teams make me cringe). Maybe this was part of the children-orientation of the show?

this was an issue for me in other early episodes - the plot seems to mainly move forward through stupidity of the protagonists. I really like early doctors in general but when the writers do this it just kills enjoyment.

edit - I just watched The Invisible Enemy (first appearance K-9) and I can see why baker hated the thing. kid-attractor toy breaking any sustained drama, painted cardboard box stealing scenes, etc. was this before or after battlestar galactica had that cute bear-thing the kid had as a pet?

The terrible part is I remember being young and wanting to see MORE of K-9....
    Last edited by Deficineiron; 2018-08-02 at 09:23 PM.

"Celebrating Whittaker’s placement, Wenger states: “It’s a testament to the energy and focus that Jodie has brought to Doctor Who that it’s hard to distinguish where one ends and the other begins. She said from the start that she could only do it her way and so it has become.

He continues: “Gone is the daffiness and idiosyncrasy of her predecessors in favour of a Doctor with energy, spark and relatability.”

Meanwhile, BBC Content director Charlotte Moore congratulated new showrunner Chris Chibnall who places higher in the number two spot.

She said: “Chris is a wonderfully talented multi-award-winning writer whose catalogue of work speaks for itself. I can’t wait to see his passion and vision for Doctor Who come to life on BBC1 this autumn. As a lifelong fan himself, I know he will bring something very special to the hit series to captivate old and new fans across the globe.”

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bbc-con...sors-88013.htm

but i like a bit of daffiness
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    He continues: “Gone is the daffiness and idiosyncrasy of her predecessors in favour of a Doctor with energy, spark and relatability.”
    in other words, they gutted what has been a hallmark trait of dr. who since the beginning, and replaced it with a mainstream-type personality?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I've gotta admit this is the first thing I've heard that I hate no matter how you interpret it. Getting rid of the 'daffiness' and idiosyncrasy is garbage, as it's saying...well...I know I'm playing the Doctor, but I'd rather play some other character so I'll just do that.
    BAD WOLF

Looks like they wanted a woman who happens to play the Doctor instead of creating a good Doctor who happens to be played by a woman. Identity politics removes the substance from art.
    "He who lives without discipline dies without honor" - Viking proverb

The 5th doctor definitely played it straight. He might have had silly lines here or there but there's no denying what he was.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.