Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Zhira View Post
    What's the difference between the original DW from the 1960s and the one that started running in 2005
    New Who is a distinctly British, fast-paced, cerebral action show with strong character development. It's like drinking a complex, yet very fresh/new whiskey where you only get hints of it's origins, but it's flavor kicks you in the teeth.

Classic Who is similar, except the action is toned down, the pacing is far slower, and it's very much a refined and more family oriented experience. If you can put your mind in the times when it came out, you will be able to maximize your enjoyment of these episodes. They are like a very aged whiskey, where the flavor might be slightly dull and the barrel tones are much more evident. It's smooth and relaxing, something to sing you a lullaby instead of get your blood flowing.

That's the closest I can get to describing the old show for you. You have to be ok with slowing your brain down, getting in an older mindset, and then they are fully enjoyable.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstorm View Post
    Biggest difference is probably the fact that Gallifrey, the planet The Doctor and the rest of the Time Lords is from, was part of the old show, but has in the new show been destroyed, leaving The Doctor the last of the Time Lords, and while I'm not sure if it's been a theme in the old show, a theme in the new show is that the Doctor is lonely, and he gets a bit freaky and dark if he hasn't had companions with him for a while.
    Is it ever addressed in the show... as a Time Lord, if he is so lonely, why he doesn't go back to before his planet was destroyed and save the planet, or at least some of the other time lords?

Also, thanks to everyone who gave me a starting point of where to begin watching this show!

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    No chard Space Suit, no evidence of a dead body. In fact it was too normal looking.
    Oooh, so obvious >< Didn't even occur to me, but yea that's weird. I mean it would have happened that way if the computer had already saved her, but then the Screwdriver thing would have been completely pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchaeus View Post
    Is it ever addressed in the show... as a Time Lord, if he is so lonely, why he doesn't go back to before his planet was destroyed and save the planet, or at least some of the other time lords?

Also, thanks to everyone who gave me a starting point of where to begin watching this show!
    the entire timewar and everyone who was in it is timelocked, also if you can help it you are supposed to not try and cross your own timeline (obviously this happens from time to time)

its never explicitly explained how far back the timelock extends for gallifrey but we know the ruins of skaro still exist (the homeworld of the daleks)

the timewar is a pretty big thing that defines the doctor, he had to pretty much destroy his entire race for what they were going to do to end it.

the timewar was a war between the timelords and the daleks, the daleks are a mutant race of squid like beings that are pretty much the embodiment of hatred, they hate everything that isnt dalek and basically want to kill all life in the universe
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Because believe it or not, the Time Lords became something more awful than the Daleks. When you get to the last episodes of David Tennant, without spoiling too much for you, someone else is bringing back Gallifrey and the Time Lords and he specifically makes the decision to 'send them back to hell' ie, to the Time War to die again.

So really he made the decision to kill them all multiple times. I think a large part of what he misses about the Time Lords is what they were before the Last Great Time War. Before Rassilon became corrupt.
    BAD WOLF

An image from Journey to the Center of the Tardis :

Abyssal Maw when Blizzard cancelled it.
    Over the Mists, WoW like you've never seen it before !

Quote Originally Posted by feangren View Post

there was a whole album posted on reddit earlier of shots from the next episode, looks like its going to be exciting the doctor is keeping something in his tardis that he shouldnt be by the looks of it
    Too cool for a signature

While the Doctor can be lonely, his relationship with his people is difficult at best

- remember he did steal the TARDIS, actually from a museum (tidbits from the original series as well as "The Doctor's Wife"). Remember in "An Uneartly Child" the Doctor was hiding out on earth.

- he was accused and found guilty of meddling in time, forced to undergo a regeneration and then bansished to earth. Tranisition between the second and third doctor. Eventually the Time Lords forgave him and returned the TARDIS's dematerialization circuit about midway through the third doctors run.

- he was elected president of Gallifrey, a post he did not want, (think this was at the end of "The Five Doctor's"), and several times he stated that if he returned he would be 'forced' to serve as president.

- then there was the bit with sixth doctor, and him begin put on trial (see "Trial of a Timelord" story arc).
    "You give us money, we give you content" -- Russ Brown, VP of Developement for Rift
    Something some MMO companies seem to have forgotten.

Golyr - Faeblight / Golgarax - Argent Dawn

Others have answered this as well. It's because the Time Lords became corrupted and released many gargantuan horrors like the Nightmare Child. The Doctor has an extreme hatred for the Daleks, and added to the corruption of the Time Lords, he basically said "to hell with all of you" and destroyed both races then time-locked the entire event so it couldn't be reverted.

As an aside, the only person that has successfully gone back into the Time War is the Dalek Caan; Caan went completely insane as a result but could see all of time and space, and he managed to rescue Davros the creator of the Daleks. It is interesting to note that Caan eventually also massacred the entire race of Daleks, much like The Doctor killed his own people to stop the evil that they had become.

The Doctor has tried multiple times to persuade The Master, his best friend and fellow Time Lord, to join him in his journey through time and space. The Master, however, has chosen repeatedly to be selfish and destructive which made him the arch-nemesis to The Doctor. Currently it seems The Master is again locked in the Time War but I'm sure he'll find a way out again.
    Last edited by Deuse; 2013-04-23 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post

You'll miss out on tons of great Tennant episodes.
    I don't get this, I simply said you should start with 9th doctor (Eccleston). How does this lead to missing great Tennant episodes?

The doctor keeps something locked up in the TARDIS
    The real doctor that #10 regenerated into

Matt Smith is really just a half melted ganger, and he has been fooling everyone, even the TARDIS for all these years :P

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

Matt Smith is really just a half melted ganger, and he has been fooling everyone, even the TARDIS for all these years :P

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Jie5sLT.png[IMG]
    Hopefully the real one comes with eyebrows.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    Others have answered this as well. It's because the Time Lords became corrupted and released many gargantuan horrors like the Nightmare Child. The Doctor has an extreme hatred for the Daleks, and added to the corruption of the Time Lords, he basically said "to hell with all of you" and destroyed both races then time-locked the entire event so it couldn't be reverted.

As an aside, the only person that has successfully gone back into the Time War is the Dalek Caan; Caan went completely insane as a result but could see all of time and space, and he managed to rescue Davros the creator of the Daleks. It is interesting to note that Caan eventually also massacred the entire race of Daleks, much like The Doctor killed his own people to stop the evil that they had become.

The Doctor has tried multiple times to persuade The Master, his best friend and fellow Time Lord, to join him in his journey through time and space. The Master, however, has chosen repeatedly to be selfish and destructive which made him the arch-nemesis to The Doctor. Currently it seems The Master is again locked in the Time War but I'm sure he'll find a way out again.
    the master always finds a way

---------- Post added 2013-04-23 at 01:35 PM ----------

also this is amazing. heres hoping they make it into a real book for the 50th anniversary
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

In Thrall's loving embrace, all hail ThrallChrist.
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    also this is amazing. heres hoping they make it into a real book for the 50th anniversary
    I would buy that.

Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    I don't get this, I simply said you should start with 9th doctor (Eccleston). How does this lead to missing great Tennant episodes?
    I was talking about people telling him to start with smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Markluzz View Post
    I was talking about people telling him to start with smith.
    This is why proper quoting is important. When you quote someone then comment on something completely different it gets confusing.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Jie5sLT.p ng[/IM G]
    Don't know about anyone else, but these types of responses from you Frozenbeef seem to be starting to verge on trolling. We know you don't like Smith as The Doctor.

The Doctor will rip out the last page (because he hates endings), negating the end of the Time War and unlocking it. Genius.

Quote Originally Posted by Ridesdel View Post
    Don't know about anyone else, but these types of responses from you Frozenbeef seem to be starting to verge on trolling. We know you don't like Smith as The Doctor.
    Sorry, i thought it was a doctor who thread where you can state your opinions about said television program. The doctor being trapped in the tardis by a ganger for all these years would make a great story arch in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    The Doctor will rip out the last page (because he hates endings), negating the end of the Time War and unlocking it. Genius.
    LOL! It would totally happen too