Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Page 8 of 626 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    I'm not sure any Doctor in the future will be able to sustain any more than three of four series at most (including Matt Smith). And I'm worried that the limitation lies in the companions rather than the doctor. To me, while it is without a shadow of a doubt my favourite TV-series, the companions just seem to get a bit stuck in a rut quickly. I was half-way bored with Rose already when the Doctor regenerated and by the end of series 2 I was glad to see her go, just because she no longer brought anything new to the show, in any way.

Luckily, this is being shaken up a bit with the new series, I'm looking forward to a proper male companion. I am also very much a fan of the Rory/Amy relationship and, to an extent, the Doctor/Amy relationship. The only thing I'm worried about in terms of companions right now is that Steven Moffat starts reusing River Song for everything. She's a fascinating character, but I imagine she'd get boring really fast if given a semi-permanent role. Showing up in 2-3 stories per series is just fine for her.

Mind you, this is just my personal opinion. Nothing I can really back up with fact, it's just how I feel about it all.
    I'm not sure if you saw the preview for the new season(series) or read any news about it but River Song is supposed to make her first real introduction to the Doctor sometime during this season. So I do believe she will soon become the new companion after Amy and Rory go off and do their thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Penguirrel View Post
    I'm not sure if you saw the preview for the new season(series) or read any news about it but River Song is supposed to make her first real introduction to the Doctor sometime during this season. So I do believe she will soon become the new companion after Amy and Rory go off and do their thing.
    I have seen the previews, but I suspect I might need to clarify a bit. River Song, as she is now, is going to get very boring very quickly. River Song in a companion role, however, would be entirely different. As it will be the first time she meets him, she is going to be a completely different person. Which is good, I think.

That said, she's most likely not going to be Matt Smith's companion. The reason? She states quite specifically in the last series (the first episode with the Weeping Angels) that she has never met the Eleventh Doctor (Matt Smith's) before. And I think that's the sort of thing Steven Moffat would consider.

15+ Year Old Account
    the remake doctor who series gets better after each season

Quote Originally Posted by JonTargaryen View Post
    R.I.P. Lis Sladen.
    Nooooooooo I LOVED her.

15+ Year Old Account

RIP Elisabeth

15+ Year Old Account
    So, since the second part of season two started I think it's okay to revive this thread. What did you think of the latest episode?

Personally I found it quite...meh. River was entertaining, but her Mary-Sue like characteristics are really starting to show now. The title of the episode was also very misleading, but that was to be expected.

Hopefully the rest of the season picks up the pace, because I'm very interested in "The Silence" and the Doctor's death in Utah and if we get an episode like the "Pandorica Opens/The Big Bang", or "A good man goes to war" to top it off I'll be completely satisfied. Hopefully this isn't the last season with Matt Smith. Although all three new doctors have been fantastic so far, so I imagine that they'd find a suitable replacement.

I haven't seen the latest episode - I'm still trying to catch up on last season, so i can be current. My partner and I have watched all of 9 & 10 now - and just the other night, we decided eventually we would go back through all the old Doctors too.

Quote Originally Posted by Entaaro View Post
    People's opinions on favourite companion? I didnt mind Amy, but I think overall Rose wins.
    I really liked Donna - she was a spitfire

I hated Rose after she came back with her speech impediment or w/e happened to her. I really like Martha since she comes back later in Torchwood and her role at the end of season 3 was awesome, I liked Donna, and so far I like Amy.

I thought last nights episode was pretty amazing though, there were so many things that I didn't expect.

I have to admit they pulled one over on me with "Mel"... But overall the episode was pretty interesting. I am guessing that the end of this season we will see why/how River ends up in prison and probably an explanation of the whole death in Utah thing. I also find it interesting that there is a religious order that is called "The Silence" when the big bad aliens in the beginning of last season were also called The Silence.

Deleted
    Yesterdays episode answered loads of questions but created a whole load more. I'm really really looking forward to the rest of this series as yesterdays episode set it up to potentially be the best storyline yet

This weekend's episode make me think that Moffat is one HECK of a writer. I haven't been this hungry for new episodes in a long time.

As to my favorite companion... I gotta go with Sara Jane, though I really did enjoy Donna.

Donna was great because they were truly just great buddies that traveled around together and she was incredibly spunky which was a lot of fun. My heart kind of belongs to Rose though, which is funny because I really didn't like her at all at first but she grew on me.

10+ Year Old Account
    The best part of "Let's Kill Hitler" was the intro when you KNOW it's River driving up in that car and it ends up not being her at all - But then...

Brilliant.

Im sorry I enjoyed the episode but I found nealy all of it predicatable from the posion on the lips to how he was going to revived
    Desktop: Zotac 1080 TI, I7 7700k, 16gb Ram, 256gb SSD + 1TB HDD
    Laptop: Zotac 2070 MaxQ, I7 8750, 32gb RAM, 500gb SSD + 2TB SSD
    Main Game: Warcraft Classic

Haters gonna hate

has it started playing again? THe last episode I sall was a good man goes to war, which was phenominal.

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Im sorry I enjoyed the episode but I found nealy all of it predicatable from the posion on the lips to how he was going to revived
    I am pretty sure those parts of the episode were intended to be predictable... We are getting to see the start of River being River after all. Plus I think this episode was a lot about setting up "The Silence" again. Loved the mini people in the robot though, that was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by prwraith View Post
    has it started playing again? THe last episode I sall was a good man goes to war, which was phenominal.
    Yea, the first episode was this past weekend (not sure if it is different in the UK though sometimes they get ahead of us).

@Anjerith - Bang on there. I was convinced when he held up the news paper and there was a line through "Doctor" that it had to be River... but then it was this random chick who was ordering the Doctor around. Quite awesome

10+ Year Old Account
    Looks like they are *trying* for simulcast on all BBC One/Three and BBCAmerica.

As for the favorite companion question, I am pretty torn on the new-gen's;

Rose - Great character development. The back and forth dialogue between her and the 9th Doctor was great. Excellent during the 10th Doctor stories. Bit of a kick in the nuts that she settled for the clone in the end.

Martha - She is a better character in the Martha stories that take place during her year in exile (BBCAudio) than she ever was allowed to be in the actual show. Her appearances in Torchwood were great, which sort of implies she is a better character in the Doctor Who universe without actually being around the Doctor.

Donna - She and the 10th Doctor are magic, plain and simple. I will go ahead and say that Wilf can sort of be considered a companion during this point in the series and that he is just as good in his limited appearances as Donna. The conclusion of their story (and the 10th Doctors) was heartbreaking.

Amy and Rory - Some of Amy's first episodes were sort of overshadowed by the length of her skirt and, let's be honest, That scene in her bedroom. She is a fair enough companion. Gets really good when Rory starts to show up more and joins them on their adventures. And hey, it's always fun to have the bumbling 'average joe' around trying to do his best and sometimes getting it right.

River Song/Melody Pond - I am convinced that this character is perfect because Moffat created her and (to the best of my knowledge) is the only person to have *ever* written her in the show. Alex Kingston plays her perfectly and it helps that she and Matt Smith have such delightful chemistry.

I would also like to add that in retrospect I kind of wish that Mels was around for more than one episode.
    Last edited by Anjerith; 2011-08-29 at 06:55 PM.

I think Rose with the clone was sort of perfect. Like he said she couldn't be with her the way they wanted because of who he was, so she ended up with someone personality wise just like him... but human. It was bittersweet.

Martha made me mad a lot, and I think you reasoning is exactly why. For nearly all of her season she spent the entire time moping about after the Doctor which was just awful and part of the reason she was so awesome in the Master episodes and in the Torchwood episodes was because she was no longer doing that. She finally got to be her own person.

Also, I have been working my way through the new series starting with the Ecckelson episodes and I noticed a lot of things that happen in the background in those episodes I never noticed before. For instance in the "Utopia" episode after Martha realizes that the Professor is a Time Lord she says to the Doctor to remember what the Face of Boe says. Well in the background Jack is listening to them and you can clearly see him reacting to what she says and it definitely looks like he has started to put some things together.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Also, I have been working my way through the new series starting with the Ecckelson episodes and I noticed a lot of things that happen in the background in those episodes I never noticed before. For instance in the "Utopia" episode after Martha realizes that the Professor is a Time Lord she says to the Doctor to remember what the Face of Boe says. Well in the background Jack is listening to them and you can clearly see him reacting to what she says and it definitely looks like he has started to put some things together.
    Hah that is cool. Might be worth my time to go back through the new stuff again myself. The Face of Boe revelation could make potentially change a lot of the series up to that point. (At least the episodes with Jack /Face in them)

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    I have to admit they pulled one over on me with "Mel"... But overall the episode was pretty interesting. I am guessing that the end of this season we will see why/how River ends up in prison and probably an explanation of the whole death in Utah thing. I also find it interesting that there is a religious order that is called "The Silence" when the big bad aliens in the beginning of last season were also called The Silence.
    Things you should have picked up on ie clues. The Aliens in the beginning the Silence have a Tardis (ironically looks similar to Omega's Tardis)
    The Church that held River was the same one that was apart of the Silence, if she was in prison for killing the doctor it would not be the people who made her.
    The Fixed point of the Doctors death the Doctor can escape it if he knows ahead and can plan for it.
    Moffet is as much a fan of Doctor Who as he is a writer/director/producer He is aware of the greater lore and he loves a good paradox.
    The first question will end the Silence.

Working Hypothesis:
    Time lords where created by a holy trinity of Rassalon, Omega, and the Other.
    The other is supposed to be a non-Gallifreyan time-lord.
    The Gallifreyan culture believes in reincarnation and it is believed that the Doctor is the Re-incarnation of the Other.
    The last regeneration of the Doctor is supposed to be evil.
    If you think of the Names of the founders of time lord society the other represents the Alpha, Rassalon represents the Middle and Omega is the End.
    Who ended the Time Lords? The Doctor
    Who was the First Time Lord? 'River Song' Melody Pond
    This is all an Idea I am working out, because it seems to me Omega has a part in the final story Arc the Doctor.

Quote Originally Posted by Anjerith View Post
    The best part of "Let's Kill Hitler" was the intro when you KNOW it's River driving up in that car and it ends up not being her at all - But then...

Brilliant.
    Yes it was, I sort of guessed it early but I was sad she regenerated the Actress at the start was brilliant.