Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    looks like this years special will be a bit better than last years bring it on!
    I guess it can't really be WORSE than last year. Last year's was pretty stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Hoping it'll take a turn for the better, I guess.
    That's why I keep watching. I keep hoping that someday the writing will get better again. There have been a few stand out episodes, but for the most part the writing has been pretty bad the for last few seasons.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Trailer for Christmas special ...
    Nice find, thank you. Well, from those trailers, there's no doubt that the new assistant and the Doctor have chemistry.

The Lightbringer GKLeatherCraft's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Solidito View Post
    Trailer for Christmas special
    Oooh thanks, Puzzling indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Rotted View Post
    Fucking 5 episodes is a joke though, really starting to hate on series that are cutting themselves in half and airing half this year, and the rest next year /late this year,

Cracking episode though,

Although one plot hole, said they can never land the tardis there again because of the un stability etc, and it was lucky it was done the once without ripping new york to shreds, however, what about rivers vortex "watch" (sorry a bit tired can't remember any of the correct names ) as its smaller and like she said, a bike not something big and bulky

Or is it now a fixed point in time, because they read the grave stone?

Either way I can see in a series time, or two series time, they might make a guest appearance,

and before you give me any bull shit about its impossible, remember its tv, anything can happen, if they want it to happen, they will find a story line to make it happen,

*cough* Darvos / Rose *cough*
    There was waaaay more than one damn plot hole in there.

One plot-hole I loved was outlined by a forum poster, rewriting the parting message left in the book by Amy for the Doctor, saying instead "Hey, We know you can't come back to our time period as it's time-locked or whatever... so we decided to move to Yonkers (people here were giving us weird looks anyways). Right now we'll be at bus terminal 174 on Ardmore and Main at 3:57pm. See you then!"

One friend of mine said "I cried when Rory and Amy looked at each other, then both jumped off the building". I said "yeah, I should've been crying... if it wasn't for my brain saying "Why the hell isn't the Statue of Liberty chewing on their bones by now? For that matter... why the hell isn't ANYBODY else seeing the statue being no longer on Elis Island!?"

I've been a classic series fan for almost 30 years, and there's one thing the new series really shames me to say as it goes against all that the original series did - and that's in order for me to enjoy it, I have to turn my thoughts off. >_<

---------- Post added 2012-11-20 at 03:03 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Logonov View Post
    So youre a masochist? you keep hating it and dreading it, and yet you keep watching it? If you dont like where its going why are you still watching?
    I can field this one...

As a fan of the show for 30 years, it shaped my childhood. Classic Series Doctor Who is the Grandfather I never had... he was my role model, that taught me right from wrong, and that being different is a very good thing.

...30 years later, my said grandfather I never had is now very senile, gibbering to himself goofy nonsensical things while slapping the asses of the hospital nurses and waitresses...

To answer your question...could you willingly just abandon one of your greatest family members simply because he's not right anymore - or would you want to help him get better? :P

Short Answer: I have hopes they will correct themselves and bring it back to more story, less emo.
    Last edited by mvaliz; 2012-11-20 at 03:04 AM.

Bloodsail Admiral Brightamethyst's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah. There were so, so, so many nonsensical plot holes in that last episode.

Ok. The TARDIS He can't go back to where Amy and Rory are. Fine, so they leave New York and go somewhere else. Or the Doctor waits and picks them up a week later once the disturbance has passed. Or River, who can ignore all that timey wimey stuff goes and gets them...

mvallas, a wizard did it.

Deleted
    a great show indeed. 9/10

Does anyone know when the new episodes are going to air?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by emberfirerose View Post
    Does anyone know when the new episodes are going to air?
    christmas day , other than that, nope no one knows. However I'm guessing (hoping?) that we'll get three more Sherlock before the new season of Dr Who.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    christmas day , other than that, nope no one knows. However I'm guessing (hoping?) that we'll get three more Sherlock before the new season of Dr Who.
    Also hoping for more Sherlock, but I haven't heard anything. Nothing about which cases the episodes are going to be based on (well ok, The Adventure of the Empty House is pretty much a guarantee), nothing about filming, nothing about well..... anything....

And lo and behold, while I'm typing this, I do a quick search just to make sure and I find.....

NME - Sherlock Season 3 filming to be delayed?

Oh well at least we'll have a month and a bit of Doctor Who to enjoy. :<

From what I remember though, they always start around Easter. So around late March/early April is my guess for the latter part of the season.
    Last edited by Dyra; 2012-11-27 at 02:28 PM.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies. The man who never reads lives only one.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nooooo that sucks, Fuck the Star Trek sequal, it's going to suck anyway stop filming that and make more damn Sherlock you wierd faced bastard

That link makes me sad :'(
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Nooooo that sucks, Fuck the Star Trek sequal, it's going to suck anyway stop filming that and make more damn Sherlock you wierd faced bastard

That link makes me sad :'(
    It just means people are realizing he is such a good actor.

I do say looking back on the fist half of this season you feel like so far this season is truly missing an episode that makes you do a double take on historical events. It needs its own Fires of Pompeii, Day of the Moon, Girl in the Fireplace, Shakespeare Code. Something that makes gives you a feel of right under our noses. Ive enjoyed those episodes so much more being the history dork that i am.

The bulk of the last few seasons lack this sort of familiarity we have with history. Often it was what helped the original series get going. I think they said that in a post production of the original series that they tried to (for childrens education of course) go into the past, and then progress into the future to really emphasize the time travel and give a lesson. Obviously the show has traveled long and far away from it's educational side. In the end, I really want to see something distinctly more sci-fi meets history in contrast to whats mostly been just strictly sci-fi.
    Quote Originally Posted by ccsabathia View Post
    heat ≠ light
    it...i....what?

"They was WATERING them. They was trying to GROW WHEELBARROWS."

Earlier i was regular on this show but now i prefer to watch this show online in my free time. Such a great entertaining show.
    8/10.

Its hard to make xmas specials every year. This will be the 6th one? I'm going to throw some ideas out for future xmas specials, and watch over the next 10 years they will do something similar to a few of them.

1. Some sort of magic, alien santa hat that takes over people's minds. Maybe a whole slew of them invading Earth.
    2. The Doctor lands inside some alien snowglobe and has to escape before something terrible happens.
    3. Flying reindeer really exist, but they are actually aliens! Helpful ones, as it turns out. But they are in danger and the Doctor has to save them.
    4. In the 1800s England, a mysterious man warps around town using a time machine to deliver presents to all kids in one night. But what is he really up to and can the Doctor stop him?
    5. A great blizzard strikes England that never lets up. Whiteout conditions paralyze the country. Can the Doctor save the day?
    6. The TARDIS is mistaken for an xmas toy and presented to a great galactic king. Can the Doctor get his TARDIS back?
    7. A magic alien "santa" sack that can fulfill anyone's wishes as long as it can be packaged, wrapped up in a bow, and pulled from the bag, turns out to be cursed and starts killing people. The Doctor has to destroy the malevolent entity behind the sack's creation.
    8. Oppressed elves on an alien world seek freedom from their "santa" like slave master with the Doctor's help.
    9. The most amazing ice-skating rink ever built draws people from all over England. Everything goes well - until people start disappearing on xmas eve. What is going on, and can the Doctor save us all?
    10. A xmas story based on "the Nutcracker".

Of course, I am avoiding the snowman theme on purpose due to this year's special.

Quote Originally Posted by MushroomBomb View Post
    After a quick search I realised there was no thread on this, which in itself is a pretty absurd idea.

Discuss the longest-running Science Fiction show of all time, right here.

Who's excited for the new season? I know I'm excited as hell. Matt Smith is a very capable actor from what I've seen of him, and I think (based on interviews and the likes) that he can bring a very fresh Doctor to the new series - a slightly more eccentric and less serious than the two previous Doctors in the new series.

EDIT: Also, has anyone else seen the old (and by old, I mean the earliest) seasons? I'm currently going through the first season, with William Hartnell, from 1963. The stories are a little different and the Doctor starts out as somewhat of an anti-hero. But it gets better after some few full serials.
    I watched Doctor Who reruns (or first runs) when I was in college ('77-'81) and then again any time I could find it on PBS. I would love to get my hands on DVD sets of the early Doctors, although I am really partial to Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.

Quote Originally Posted by thurizas View Post
    I watched Doctor Who reruns (or first runs) when I was in college ('77-'81) and then again any time I could find it on PBS. I would love to get my hands on DVD sets of the early Doctors, although I am really partial to Jon Pertwee and Tom Baker.
    Went looking for a most "complete" DVD boxed set of Dr Who. Found this article instead:

http://houseofgeekery.com/2012/04/25...-be-fulfilled/
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

The issue I had with The Angels Take Manhattan was that the entire point of season 6, where the Doctor dies and then cheats death, is that fixed points in time aren't truly fixed. But then we go to season 7 and the reason the Ponds cannot travel in the TARDIS anymore is that fixed points are fixed. Surely, from what we learned in season 6, the Doctor could just find a way back to Manhattan, replace the real Amy and Rory with robot doubles who pretend to live out a life and its the robots who wind up buried in that graveyard, and the Ponds are free to continue travelling with the Doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Leftcoast 2 blocks from the beach, down the street from a green haze called Venice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grummgug View Post
    The issue I had with The Angels Take Manhattan was that the entire point of season 6, where the Doctor dies and then cheats death, is that fixed points in time aren't truly fixed. But then we go to season 7 and the reason the Ponds cannot travel in the TARDIS anymore is that fixed points are fixed. Surely, from what we learned in season 6, the Doctor could just find a way back to Manhattan, replace the real Amy and Rory with robot doubles who pretend to live out a life and its the robots who wind up buried in that graveyard, and the Ponds are free to continue travelling with the Doctor.

I guess you have missed the part where the Doctor hates goodbyes even when he knows they are needed? Basically, he has been looking for a reason to let them live out there lives, Because Amy made the Choice to go to Rory he is free to move on to the next, this doesn't stop him from visiting again sometime in the past, but he won't be taking them for trips in the Tardis anymore. This is how the Doctor always does things.

Personally I can't wait for the Next.

Quote Originally Posted by Gothicshark View Post
    I guess you have missed the part where the Doctor hates goodbyes even when he knows they are needed? Basically, he has been looking for a reason to let them live out there lives, Because Amy made the Choice to go to Rory he is free to move on to the next, this doesn't stop him from visiting again sometime in the past, but he won't be taking them for trips in the Tardis anymore. This is how the Doctor always does things.

Personally I can't wait for the Next.
    I thought of that as well, but I just don't think it works because how they ended the Pond's story gives the appearance of invalidating the PRIMARY plot point of season 6, which is stupid. Furthermore, if that's what Moffat really was shooting for, that the Doctor was truly making a choice to let them live out their lives there, then that's something that deserves to be explored in depth. That's actual character development which is sorely lacking in Doctor Who, and to just leave it unexplored is a crime.

That's an actual reason to explore how it effects the Ponds. I'd want to see how they live their lives with this decision. You've made them interesting again. Probably more interesting than they've ever been. This is a reason to keep them in the show, not just end it and move on to the next companion. So even if you are correct, its incredibly annoying to see them misuse the idea.