Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Okay just read valeyard on wiki

I thought it was just a random name the guy was on about, did not realize the actual significance

This episode... well I just want to say. Moffat, I love your attempting at writing a long story. While individual episodes have been a little lackluster, looking over it, the main story has been EPIC.

Why does the movie have to be so long away?

Anyway, I can't wait to see what this 9th Doctor did, also I can't wait to see why he stopped acting as the doctor as 9 but became the doctor for 10.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

I guess the 9th is the same if the 4th had gone through with genocide of the Daleks.

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Vinni View Post

Spoiler in white there, don't know how to make it surrounded by black just yet.
    [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler]

just don't put in the space.
    Putin khuliyo

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    [ spoiler] and [ /spoiler]

just don't put in the space.
    Thank you

MOVIE!?

Also

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valeyard

Helps to clear up the 9th doctor / reincarnation

It was good, I am pleasantly surprised to be writing that.

The short and somewhat rushed nature of it all wasn't too abrasive, I was only really confused when it jumped from the doctor on some steps to the doctor at the entrance of the tardis-tomb and I wondered if it was the same doctor or time-overlap one since he'd stated there would be time-y weirdness I think I over expected it. Then the ending felt somewhat rushed and confusing as others here have discussed.

Excited, albeit slightly confused, to see John Hurt as the "new" "not-doctor" doctor, hopefully we can get some nice dark episodes in a new season.
    Sanctity, level 110 Blood elf protection Paladin of <Fallout> on Tarren Mill EU

Its quite clear the doctor played by John Hurt is the doctor from the timewar from what he said and how Matt smith knew who he was.

Spoilers Sweetie

"Would you please let me join your p-p-party?

Okay gonna put this in spoiler mode but got to ask a few questions to those that paid better attention then I did it seems.

So from watching the episode Eccleston is the 9th doctor but the 10th regeneration?
    Is the below list accurate from what we learned tonight and from pervious seasons?

First Doctor William Hartnell
    Second Doctor Patrick Troughton
    Third Doctor Jon Pertwee
    Fourth Doctor Tom Baker
    Fifth Doctor Peter Davison
    Sixth Doctor Colin Baker
    Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy
    Eighth Doctor Paul McGann (movie doctor is this story canon now?)
    Time War John Hurt
    Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston
    Tenth Doctor David Tennant
    Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith
    Twelfth Doctor ?
    Valeyard Michael Jayston (+ new actor if the bring this back at some point
    Thirteenth Doctor ?
    Want to play SWTOR again and get 7 free days of subscription access + free ingame goodies: http://www.swtor.com/r/d5LnJT

Clara was kind of anti climactic. Disappointed in Strax, too. Ugh. River. FEELS.

I think Hurt will be the Doctor that could have been, or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Althalus View Post
    Okay gonna put this in spoiler mode but got to ask a few questions to those that paid better attention then I did it seems.

So from watching the episode Eccleston is the 9th doctor but the 10th regeneration?
    Is the below list accurate from what we learned tonight and from pervious seasons?

First Doctor William Hartnell
    Second Doctor Patrick Troughton
    Third Doctor Jon Pertwee
    Fourth Doctor Tom Baker
    Fifth Doctor Peter Davison
    Sixth Doctor Colin Baker
    Seventh Doctor Sylvester McCoy
    Eighth Doctor Paul McGann (movie doctor is this story canon now?)
    Time War John Hurt
    Ninth Doctor Christopher Eccleston
    Tenth Doctor David Tennant
    Eleventh Doctor Matt Smith
    Twelfth Doctor ?
    Valeyard Michael Jayston (+ new actor if the bring this back at some point
    Thirteenth Doctor ?
    Pretty much that yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Zenyatta
    I think Hurt will be the Doctor that could have been, or something like that.
    Fist of all, spoilers.
    Secondly, John Hurt plays the "Time War" Doctor. The one who time locked the war, thus killing the Time Lords & Daleks. This Time War Doctor didn't do the horrible stuff as "The Doctor" during the war, but as the still mysterious REAL name of the Doctor. Hence why Doc #11 says he is not The Doctor, he is the one who broke the promise (using his real name). That way Eccleston who played Doc #9 is still Doc #9, but his 10th incarnation.

At present, The Doctor has regenerated a total of twelve times.

Incarnations:
    1-8 Old Who Doctors
    9 John Hurt
    10 Eccleston
    11-12 Both are David Tennant
    13 Matt Smith

Which means that Matt Smith would be his final incarnation and the "Thirteenth Doctor" if The Doctor were to actually count John Hurt and also Tennant's first regeneration. The TARDIS which made The Doctor's tomb looks like his current in-series TARDIS control room, with the blue interior; this either means he finally dies with this specific control room (and potentially as Matt Smith) or more likely the TARDIS chose this room so it would make sense to Matt Smith when he entered his tomb (seeing as the TARDIS already knows all of time and space she would have known he was coming to Trenzalore during this timeframe). I think it's a safe assumption that The Doctor is going to find a way to collect more regenerations... and in his quest to do so (hello, season 8 arc) he might form the Valeyard potentially by accident. I do think he will eventually achieve more regenerations but at some great cost (ie: becoming / releasing the Valeyard). Could make for a sweet next season.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2013-05-18 at 09:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    At present, The Doctor has regenerated a total of twelve times.

Incarnations:
    1-8 Old Who Doctors
    9 John Hurt
    10 Eccleston
    13 Matt Smith

Which means that Matt Smith would be his final incarnation and the "Thirteenth Doctor" if The Doctor were to actually count John Hurt and also Tennant's first regeneration. The TARDIS which made The Doctor's tomb looks like his current in-series TARDIS control room, with the blue interior; this either means he finally dies with this specific control room (and potentially as Matt Smith) or more likely the TARDIS chose this room so it would make sense to Matt Smith when he entered his tomb (seeing as the TARDIS already knows all of time and space she would have known he was coming to Trenzalore during this timeframe). I think it's a safe assumption that The Doctor is going to find a way to collect more regenerations... and in his quest to do so (hello, season 8 arc) he might form the Valeyard potentially by accident. I do think he will eventually achieve more regenerations but at some great cost (ie: becoming / releasing the Valeyard). Could make for a sweet next season.
    Moffat will probably retcon David using a regeneration to "stay" himself with leftover energy becoming Doc #10 clone, since Moffat HATED that part of the RTD era.
    Wouldn't be the first time stuff would get retconned on Doctor Who (Like the Eye of Eternity which was on Gallifrey only suddenly being in the Tardis since Doc #8 in the movie)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post

Wasn't there an interview that said the hand thing and the Dalek shot didn't count as a regeneration and that Smith is the 11th Doctor (12th when counting John Hurt)? Or did I invent that?

10+ Year Old Account
    So now what do I watch for 6months?
    dragonmaw - EU

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome freakin episode, quite glad we didn't find out the doctors real name, or at least, we haven't YET .

I quite like the way the explained Clara, it's all a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey... but what were you expecting?

As always Vastra, Jenny and Strax were excellent, hurry up and give them a spinoff already.

River... Right in the feels man... RIGHT in them...

and dat ending... a huge dose of both WTF so confusing and OMG so cool can't WAIT for the 50th anniversary now
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

10+ Year Old Account
    Is riversong dead for good now? as he said she was just an echo ((

Also i'm soooooo glad they had riversong after the library it's been eating away at me since season 4 lol :P

apart from clara being resolved , none of my other questions were answered...the silence in the bathroom saying "tell the doctor" was very similar to the whispermen saying it though 0o

still don't know who the silence will fall voice was in the tardis

Last edited by Frozenbeef; 2013-05-18 at 11:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reg View Post
    Wasn't there an interview that said the hand thing and the Dalek shot didn't count as a regeneration and that Smith is the 11th Doctor (12th when counting John Hurt)? Or did I invent that?
    The interviews I read had David Tennent posing it as an interesting discussion point, did it or did it not count. Maybe only the doctor knows

---------- Post added 2013-05-19 at 12:44 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Awesome freakin episode, quite glad we didn't find out the doctors real name, or at least, we haven't YET .

I quite like the way the explained Clara, it's all a bit wibbly wobbly timey wimey... but what were you expecting?

As always Vastra, Jenny and Strax were excellent, hurry up and give them a spinoff already.

River... Right in the feels man... RIGHT in them...

and dat ending... a huge dose of both WTF so confusing and OMG so cool can't WAIT for the 50th anniversary now
    I so hope the aniversary episode continues straight off from the ending of the series so A) I can be excited and B) those seeing it at the cinema in britian without watching the series go wtf.
    For the Alliance, and for Azeroth!

Deleted
    Everyone saying that the forgotten incarnation is the time war doctor, why do the daleks not know his name and why do they fear the doctor as opposed to what he called himself when he destroyed their race?