Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Can haz John Barrowman make an appearance pls? QQ
    Yes please, yes !
    That would be interesting with Capaldi though, Jack seeing "Frobisher" again

Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I second and third this.

Did I say I approve of this message? He might be too busy with Arrow though, dunno how that scheduling is.
    hes said before that the people at arrow really love doctor who and will work around it if they ever ask him back.

- - - Updated - - -

Jenna Coleman gave a little bit more information about the new Doctor, calling him "a lot fiercer" and saying, "This man is a total adrenaline junkie.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    And I actually do have a good US example now...it would be like BSG or Star Trek using Kim Kardashian or Kanye West, then next episode having Jimmy Fallon on it. It seems that silly to me. Obviously they aren't the same quality as the British talent, but I also have no frame of reference for their real celebrity status there.
    Oh, that is a good example! Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac), NBA champion James Worthy, Stephen Hawking, Dwane "The Rock" Johnson, Iggy Pop, and Sarah Silverman have all appeared in episodes of Star Trek, to name a few, as well as bunches of actors well known for things outside of Star Trek. Oh, and Seth MacFarlane. I thought I remembered Penn & Teller appearing as well, but it turns out they were on an episode of Babylon 5.

I remember seeing those familiar non-actor faces in a Star Trek setting, going, "oh, it's that person who does that thing," and then re-enabling my suspension of disbelief and carrying on.
    Last edited by Khime; 2014-07-11 at 09:35 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    speaking of john barrowman did the the eleventh doctor ever meet jack?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    speaking of john barrowman did the the eleventh doctor ever meet jack?
    The only character from the 9th/10th Doctor's runs who reappeared during 11th's tenure was Charles Dickens. Everyone else got flushed away in the transition.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    The only character from the 9th/10th Doctor's runs who reappeared during 11th's tenure was Charles Dickens. Everyone else got flushed away in the transition.
    Yeah my biggest issue with steven moffat is that he doesn't like characters if he didn't personally create them :/

As others have pointed out, guest stars is nothing new in Doctor Who, and indeed some of the actors to take on the role were already fairly well-known from previous work (Hartnell, Troughton, Pertwee, Davison, were all known well in the UK before becoming the Doctor).
    It just seems that more often than not the stars these days are comedians rather than more serious actors. Casting Capaldi as the Doctor following is very well-known Malcolm Tucker was quite surprising, so I guess maybe the BBC is trying to soften the edges?

But even the new Doctor Who has featured some damned impressive celebrities - Bill Nighy, Derek Jacobi, Simon Callow, all very highly regarded stage and screen actors, along with other stars like John Simm, Simon Pegg, Toby Jones and so on. Lately it's been a bit lacking, sort of b-list comedy actors.

Who knows. I guess it's more my personal bias than anything coming through. I yearn for a more serious Doctor Who show and even with Capaldi I'm just not seeing that in the cards.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Oh, that is a good example! Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac), NBA champion James Worthy, Stephen Hawking, Dwane "The Rock" Johnson, Iggy Pop, and Sarah Silverman have all appeared in episodes of Star Trek
    Ha...no, real Star Trek. Not whatever this new crap is. TNG. And I'm talking like every other episode. Imagine if every other TNG episode had a currently popular celebrity on it. It would be surreal. With less episodes in Who, it seems like it would be magnified even more. But maybe all these celebs are unknown in britain too.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Ha...no, real Star Trek. Not whatever this new crap is. TNG. And I'm talking like every other episode. Imagine if every other TNG episode had a currently popular celebrity on it. It would be surreal. With less episodes in Who, it seems like it would be magnified even more. But maybe all these celebs are unknown in britain too.
    I was refering to celebrity guest appearances in TNG (Mick Fleetwood, James Worthy, Stephen Hawking), DS9 (Iggy Pop), and Voyager (Dwayne Johnson, Sarah Silverman). Which of those series are considered "this new crap"? I'm not sure what guest stars there might have been on the original Star Trek back in the 60's, since I'm far less familiar with the talent of that generation, if that's what you mean by "real" Star Trek.

And yes, Doctor Who has fewer episodes per season, so I can imagine if somebody wants to be on the show, they have less space to squeeze them in than they did back when Star Trek had two different series on the air simultaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yeah my biggest issue with steven moffat is that he doesn't like characters if he didn't personally create them :/
    jack was meant to come back a few times but torchwood and him talking about the 50th to early caused him to not be back.

although i quite like strax so maybe if jack came back we would never have the paternoster gang
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime;28167338....American TV to know how often they bring on 'famous' people for a single episode (though I did find someone's list of [url="http://www.imdb.com/list/ls000475799/?start=1&view=detail&sort=starmeter:asc"
    My Favorite Guest Stars on NCIS[/url] that has 75 actors in it; is that a lot for 9 years/246 episodes?)
    NCIS has been around for 11 years and is starting its 12 year this fall... and yes americans arent supposed to understand dr who :-P

PS: thx for the Hint with the scripts - they are written awsome and i cant wait to see him meet rh

Quote Originally Posted by Fummockelchen View Post
    and yes americans arent supposed to understand dr who :-P
    If only 'understanding Doctor Who' was the topic. We're discussing the prevalence of "celebrity" guest stars.

Oh I just realized that having Jack back during s8 would be pretty interesting cus of Frobisher, would be a giant mindfuck. Plus, as we know, both the Fires of Pompeii and Torchwood appearances are connected with Peter being the Doctor, so Jack could potentially be a part of that story if they decide to bring him back (hope they do).

jack: "thought you commited suicide"

doctor: "tried that, gallifrey wasnt a big fan of that option"

jack: "whaaaaaaa?!?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    jack: "thought you commited suicide"

doctor: "tried that, gallifrey wasnt a big fan of that option"

jack: "whaaaaaaa?!?!"
    You know, I could see the timelords genetically engineering themselves to just automatically generate as their current self in a kind of racial suicide rejection "*sniff* We're BETTER than suicide....so you don't get to do it" sort of thing.
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Incomplete episodes of Doctor Who Series 8, including the opener Deep Breath, have leaked online.

The footage is understood to black and white, heavily watermarked and lacking in various visual effects.

The news comes less than a week after the script leaks, an event that Steven Moffat yesterday described as “horrible, miserable and upsetting for Doctor Who team”.

BBC Worldwide said in a statement: “This is part of BBC Worldwide’s ongoing security investigation into leaked unfinished Doctor Who materials.

“This content is currently being removed and originates from the same Miami server disabled last week, it is not a new issue.

“We’d like to thank the amazing Doctor Who fans who are continuing to keep fansites and social media spoiler-free.”

Doctor Who TV is updating its comment policy in a continued effort to keep the site spoiler-free.

#‎keepmespoilerfree

OF COURSE IT WAS FUCKING FLORIDA @_@ GOD DAMNIT FLORIDA!!!

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-...date-64387.htm

Also River!

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Also River!
    Much to the detriment of the series. *shudders*
    A smart man puts his money on the horse with the best odds...a wise man doesn't waste his money gambling on an outcome he has no control over.
    A blog thing for you! http://yetisteaparty.blogspot.co.uk
    A youtube thinghttp://www.youtube.com/user/Teroseth/

https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/sta...74857386979328
    Keep your eyes on @BBCOne tonight… #HalfTime #GermanyvsArgentina #DoctorWho
    My money's on actual trailer rather than a teaser, but either way EXCITEDDDDDD!!!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    https://twitter.com/bbcdoctorwho/sta...74857386979328

My money's on actual trailer rather than a teaser, but either way EXCITEDDDDDD!!!!!
    Good, I just finished Sherlock.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose