Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

  1. #5561
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    Naturally not, but it hasn't seemed like such a publicity stunt in the past was really what I was getting at. I can't think of an American equivalent, but there are several large shows that having guest stars and comedians announced every other episode would be really tacky. It won't affect me at all because I won't even know who these people are. Not complaining, just pondering how it feels across the pond because I don't know the culture in any relevant way.
    It's very hard to think of an American equivalent, because we don't have any shows that have been around quite this long that are of a fictional nature, and I imagine part of the draw to doing a guest spot on Doctor Who is the desire to be 'part of history' (no pun intended). The aforementioned Saturday Night Live has been around 39 years, but it's designed to be a guest/variety show. Other shows that come to mind which have 'famous' guests all seem to be comedies, like the Cosby Show, and I don't watch enough drama on American TV to know how often they bring on 'famous' people for a single episode (though I did find someone's list of My Favorite Guest Stars on NCIS that has 75 actors in it; is that a lot for 9 years/246 episodes?)

  2. #5562
    the Simpsons does that quite alot.

    i dont really see the issue as long as they are good. if the issue is that you cant see them as the character they are playing well ive seen capaldi in loads of things and i can still see him as the doctor.

    they dont just let any old person walk onto the set just because their semi popular they have to be good enough to be in the show. the bbc isnt afraid of turning people down
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  3. #5563
    Can haz John Barrowman make an appearance pls? QQ

  4. #5564
    Epic! lokithor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Mobile, AL
    Posts
    1,636
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Can haz John Barrowman make an appearance pls? QQ
    I second and third this.

    Did I say I approve of this message? He might be too busy with Arrow though, dunno how that scheduling is.

  5. #5565
    Pandaren Monk Adoxe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Battling the Iron Horde with Yrel at Karabor.
    Posts
    1,832
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I second and third this.

    Did I say I approve of this message? He might be too busy with Arrow though, dunno how that scheduling is.
    He said in an interview that he's gonna come back to Doctor Who whenever they need him, no matter what his schedule is on other shows, he'd make time for Doctor Who if they want him back. I REALLY WANT JACK BACK!
    Formerly known as NonameXADX

    Thanks to Noxychu for the wonderful avatar!

  6. #5566
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,840
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the Simpsons does that quite alot.
    That's sorta the point. It's a pretty tacky/cheesy endeavor to have guest stars like that....but the Simpsons don't really go out of their way to advertise it either. It's really a tongue-in-cheek satirical spin on guest stars, since often they play themselves and are the butt of several jokes. Robot chicken does similar things. I don't think anyone would confuse the levity of those shows with how Who is presented, however. I don't have an issue with the show, which I've repeated several times. I was wondering more how the reception of it was over there, because I would find it pretty lame if a US show with the same type of serious story/approach did it. And I actually do have a good US example now...it would be like BSG or Star Trek using Kim Kardashian or Kanye West, then next episode having Jimmy Fallon on it. It seems that silly to me. Obviously they aren't the same quality as the British talent, but I also have no frame of reference for their real celebrity status there.
    BAD WOLF

  7. #5567
    Over 9000! apepi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Mostly harmless
    Posts
    9,155
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    the Simpsons does that quite alot.

    i dont really see the issue as long as they are good. if the issue is that you cant see them as the character they are playing well ive seen capaldi in loads of things and i can still see him as the doctor.

    they dont just let any old person walk onto the set just because their semi popular they have to be good enough to be in the show. the bbc isnt afraid of turning people down
    I would not mind seeing Stephen Fry.

    I started to watch Sherlock, it is pretty good.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

  8. #5568
    Titan Kelimbror's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Tír na nÓg
    Posts
    11,840
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I would not mind seeing Stephen Fry.
    Oh god...don't say that too loud even though I rather enjoy him as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I started to watch Sherlock, it is pretty good.
    Mm hmm. Keep watching. Minds will be blown.
    BAD WOLF

  9. #5569
    Herald of the Titans Muzual's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    足立さんの家に
    Posts
    2,896
    I approve of more Jack. I'd love more Torchwood too, that series was amazing

    なんで自殺するのかな他の人殺せばいいのに

  10. #5570
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlee View Post
    Can haz John Barrowman make an appearance pls? QQ
    Yes please, yes !
    That would be interesting with Capaldi though, Jack seeing "Frobisher" again
    Abyssal Maw when Blizzard cancelled it.
    Over the Mists, WoW like you've never seen it before !
    Quote Originally Posted by Tseric
    Can't help it. Posting impassionately, they say you don't care. Posting nothing, they say you ignore. Posting with passion, you incite trolls. Posting fluff, you say nonsense. Post with what facts you have, they whittle down with rationale. There is no win. There is only slow degradation.

  11. #5571
    Quote Originally Posted by lokithor View Post
    I second and third this.

    Did I say I approve of this message? He might be too busy with Arrow though, dunno how that scheduling is.
    hes said before that the people at arrow really love doctor who and will work around it if they ever ask him back.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Jenna Coleman gave a little bit more information about the new Doctor, calling him "a lot fiercer" and saying, "This man is a total adrenaline junkie.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

    FC: 3437-3046-3552

  12. #5572
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    And I actually do have a good US example now...it would be like BSG or Star Trek using Kim Kardashian or Kanye West, then next episode having Jimmy Fallon on it. It seems that silly to me. Obviously they aren't the same quality as the British talent, but I also have no frame of reference for their real celebrity status there.
    Oh, that is a good example! Mick Fleetwood (of Fleetwood Mac), NBA champion James Worthy, Stephen Hawking, Dwane "The Rock" Johnson, Iggy Pop, and Sarah Silverman have all appeared in episodes of Star Trek, to name a few, as well as bunches of actors well known for things outside of Star Trek. Oh, and Seth MacFarlane. I thought I remembered Penn & Teller appearing as well, but it turns out they were on an episode of Babylon 5.

    I remember seeing those familiar non-actor faces in a Star Trek setting, going, "oh, it's that person who does that thing," and then re-enabling my suspension of disbelief and carrying on.
    Last edited by Khime; Today at 09:35 PM.

  13. #5573
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,091
    speaking of john barrowman did the the eleventh doctor ever meet jack?

  14. #5574
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    speaking of john barrowman did the the eleventh doctor ever meet jack?
    The only character from the 9th/10th Doctor's runs who reappeared during 11th's tenure was Charles Dickens. Everyone else got flushed away in the transition.

  15. #5575
    Old God Frozenbeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Uk - England
    Posts
    10,091
    Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    The only character from the 9th/10th Doctor's runs who reappeared during 11th's tenure was Charles Dickens. Everyone else got flushed away in the transition.
    Yeah my biggest issue with steven moffat is that he doesn't like characters if he didn't personally create them :/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •