Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Deleted
    Reminds me of Grans from Star Wars

10+ Year Old Account
    It reminds me of the Minotaur from the god complex episode...

*emotionless spoiler free stare*

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    *emotionless spoiler free stare*

God, are we almost caught up to the leaked episodes yet? Please say yes.

Watched "Listen" last night, haven't read through the comments on it here, yet, however.

It was quite good, almost a return to Moffat's better work, but let down by a very forced "Clara is important!" ending. I also found it highly odd that young Rupert Pink wasn't at all bothered by two complete strangers showing up in his bedroom, both very likely complete lunatics.
    That said, the being on the bed under the covers was genuinely creepy and that part was well played.

Clara infuriated me in this episode. I thought Coleman's acting was very flat given her prominence in the story, and Moffat's use of her being there at the Doctor's infancy to instill in him the very adage he used earlier in the episode was ludicrous, again playing her up as vital to the Doctor's very being, which takes away from the Doctor himself and his own accomplishments.

Other thoughts - Does the Doctor know Clara is lying about Danny, about being "distracted" when she was interfaced with the TARDIS? Hopefully time will tell. The (fifth) Doctor never let on that he absolutely knew Turlough was plotting against him, and opted to use influence of character rather than confrontation to resolve the matter, so I'm wondering if there's a similar theme in play here, or if we're to believe that Clara is so strong she can trick the Doctor.

Capaldi's performance was stunningly good, with some very nice fourth Doctor channeling going on! This guy is absolutely the right choice for the Doctor and I hope he sticks around for a good long time, he's really making the role shine.

The flashback to the "war Doctor" and the hut was clumsy but I suppose necessary.

The "last planet" looked an awful lot like Gallifrey, intentional or just re-using art assets? Somehow Orson Pink got his hands on the same suit the Doctor used in Waters of Mars and The Satan Pit. Again, re-use of props or not?

I loved the long shots of the TARDIS interior, the meshing of the classic and the new, the books piled on the stairs, the Doctor's old-school tendencies towards paper and chalk and less sonic screwdriver reliance.

Overall Listen was a nice little sci-fi ghost story, but ruined by a terrible ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cartho View Post
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Meh, let's just buff chain heal and healing rain then go have some lunch."

"Okey dokey!"

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    God, are we almost caught up to the leaked episodes yet? Please say yes.
    Yes, next one is the last one that was leaked :P

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    Yes, next one is the last one that was leaked :P
    Until more get leaked and we go through the whole thing over again
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Somehow Orson Pink got his hands on the same suit the Doctor used in Waters of Mars and The Satan Pit. Again, re-use of props or not?
    Well, from a real life perspective, it's obviously recycling of props (you can even see the SB6 patch from Sanctuary Base 6, the setting for "The Impossible Planet"/"The Satan Pit", at one point on Orson's suit).

However, in-universe, it could just be a standard human-made space suit from a certain era of human history. Humans starting out wearing the bulky white astronaut/cosmonaut suits that we've used since the era of Mercury and Apollo, and we still use them into the late 21st century (as seen in "The Waters of Mars"), but Orson Pink wore the orange suit in the 22nd century, so it might have represented new innovations in technology that continued to be used for centuries thereafter. We have seen those suits show up twice being used by humans in the 42nd century - at the aforementioned Sanctuary Base 6, and on the human ship in "42". The Doctor was still wearing this suit at the end of "The Satan Pit," so he obviously kept it around, which is why we later see him wearing it during "The Waters of Mars" and "Hide".

Well that's what I mean, was it meant to indicate anything specific or just a general repurposing of a prop and letting the audience fill in the details.
    "Shaman are complaining again guys, shall we look at them a bit more closely? Maybe there's some truth in what these people are saying...."

"Okey dokey!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shockeye View Post
    Clara infuriated me in this episode. I thought Coleman's acting was very flat given her prominence in the story, and Moffat's use of her being there at the Doctor's infancy to instill in him the very adage he used earlier in the episode was ludicrous, again playing her up as vital to the Doctor's very being, which takes away from the Doctor himself and his own accomplishments.
    I hate Clara so much. Her acting is so wooden. She can watch someone get murdered in front of her and not even react. The first episode "Deep Breath" was the only time I ever saw her show fear when she was holding her breath; it's like Clara (or Jenna maybe) doesn't believe anything that happens in outer space adventures is real. Like she's just watching the show along with us... BITCH REACT! YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE ALL THE TIME! Jesus. But yeah, I can't believe they shoe-horned Clara into the Doctor's childhood; that's pretty much blasphemy and it also completely did not fit the episode. Capaldi is gaining favor with me though; the Robin Hood episode may have been campy, but "Listen" was quite good and he really shines as the Doctor in the upcoming "Time Heist" as well.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I hate Clara so much. Her acting is so wooden. She can watch someone get murdered in front of her and not even react. The first episode "Deep Breath" was the only time I ever saw her show fear when she was holding her breath; it's like Clara (or Jenna maybe) doesn't believe anything that happens in outer space adventures is real. Like she's just watching the show along with us... BITCH REACT! YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE ALL THE TIME! Jesus. But yeah, I can't believe they shoe-horned Clara into the Doctor's childhood; that's pretty much blasphemy and it also completely did not fit the episode. Capaldi is gaining favor with me though; the Robin Hood episode may have been campy, but "Listen" was quite good and he really shines as the Doctor in the upcoming "Time Heist" as well.
    I do agree with you on this, atleast Amy reacted to the insane stuff that happened, Clara feels like she has seen it all. I gotta say, I miss Donna.

I rewatched Listen one or two times. The funny thing is the Doctor pretty much does nothing, Clara is the one that seems to do everything.

And has everyone seen Time Heist? I feel like I am the only one that was not invited to the party.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post

And has everyone seen Time Heist? I feel like I am the only one that was not invited to the party.
    I haven't.

Also, I've started liking Clara more in Season 8. Listen was her best episode yet.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    I haven't.

Also, I've started liking Clara more in Season 8. Listen was her best episode yet.
    Like I have said before, she has been bad because we have no sense of her as a real person. We have not seen her with anyone besides the doctor, she literally had no reason to go back to her time line until season 8. Every other companion had an anchor, someone in their time line that actually cares about them that they have to go back to, now with Danny she might have that. We will just have to see how they play him out.

I also want to point out that in Listen their great grandson said one of his parents had time travel stories, not both of them so I don't see Danny do that much time travel?

And wtf are the wells he(Danny) is talking about?
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

He dug wells in the Army. Lots of Army people do. He was making the point that soldiers can do good things, like build infrastructure. It's...an argument, I guess.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    He dug wells in the Army. Lots of Army people do. He was making the point that soldiers can do good things, like build infrastructure. It's...an argument, I guess.
    Ah, I really had no idea what he was talking about, now it makes more sense, that whole scene was just a bit awkward. Thanks.

Danny Pink is intended to travel with the Doctor toward the end of this season, sort of like how Rory went adventuring but was never technically the companion. So it's likely that throwing in Orson Pink was a red herring to make us think Clara is his family but the time-traveling relative is really Danny instead. I remember reading that the Doctor was going to start traveling with more variety of companions; he has two new ones in Time Hiest. The Tenth Doctor had the largest group of companions to choose from... Hell, anything to get less Clara, I'd rather he take Vastra. According to some people who saw the finale being filmed, Danny Pink plays a role in the invasion of the Cybermen, possibly being somewhat upgraded.
    Last edited by MatadorMedia; 2014-09-17 at 12:06 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    And wtf are the wells he(Danny) is talking about?
    From what he said and from how he reacted to Clara's SUPER inappropriate jokes about shooting people, I'm guessing he has a pretty serious case of PTSD, probably from shooting a non-combatant, most likely a lady. He has clearly told this to some of the higher ups in the school, but is paranoid that everyone knows and now thinks he's just a heartless killer or something. In his eyes he feels the need to 'balance' his combat action with the lighter, nicer side of army life, in his case, building wells for people that had no access to clean water before hand.

At least that's how I saw that scene. Was a good scene, I love the way Danny can flip back and forth between bumbling, shy danny and super serious don't mention the war Danny. I REALLY hope he sticks around next season.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Quote Originally Posted by Deuse View Post
    I hate Clara so much. Her acting is so wooden. She can watch someone get murdered in front of her and not even react. The first episode "Deep Breath" was the only time I ever saw her show fear when she was holding her breath; it's like Clara (or Jenna maybe) doesn't believe anything that happens in outer space adventures is real. Like she's just watching the show along with us... BITCH REACT! YOU'RE ABOUT TO DIE ALL THE TIME! Jesus. But yeah, I can't believe they shoe-horned Clara into the Doctor's childhood; that's pretty much blasphemy and it also completely did not fit the episode.
    I cannot disagree.
    It's like she's in the blissful state of being impervious or ignorant of the events going on around her. I'm sure Jenna is very nice and fun to work with and all of that, but her acting in the show is mediocre. She was good in Deep Breath and Into the Dalek, so I'm wondering if it takes a certain director or director's style to get her to actually act (both were the same director). If she's really wooden in Time Heist, that will indicate a trend (same director as Listen).

Completely agreed with Clara being forced into the Doctor's childhood being borderline blasphemy. Her "impossible girl" arc with being the Doctor's guardian angel was bad enough, but to suggest she's responsible, even a little bit, for the formation of the Doctor's philosophy is just too much to accept and I resent Moffat for taking such a heavy hand in redesigning the Doctor's past.

Danny on the other hand, I really like. The actor has great range of character, depth of person, and is just interesting. Keep him, ditch Clara.

"Okey dokey!"

"Listen" was the first episode where I didn't want Clara to die in a fire. Sure, for the restaurant scene, but she sold me on being an actual companion, rather than her usual role of eye candy/filler.
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Wow, Listen was all around well done I enjoyed every minute of it and I actually really liked Clara for once. I mean I have kind of liked her in other episodes, but this was the first that I really had nothing I didn't like about her. Soooo happy she's over her weirdness about The Doctor regenerating. I love forward to more episodes like this.

The other Clara-as-irritating thing in Listen (which is not Jenna's fault, but Moffat's writing of the character) was the stupid "Is that what I look like from behind?" comment, as if it was some gag for Moffat to say "hey, I know you don't think the Doctor is sexy but Clara is, so look at her!".

It was beyond pointless.

"Okey dokey!"