Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

not to get personal or anything, so please ignore this post if you dont care about this sort of thing. but i know that i try to keep this and a couple other threads updated on the latest info and whatnot i hear around the web and places but my mother is in pretty bad condition due to throat cancer and is gonna go at any moment now and is currently comatose in hospice.

so i just ask that people please excuse if when i do post if some of the news is a little late or a repost and i dont notice beforehand.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    And there I was today thinking to myself "Goddamit Immitis hasn't posted anything on MMO-Champ about Dr Who recently, what a slacker!"

Trust me, anyone likely to get bent over a lack of posting, probably already browses the same sources as you. The rest of us who could case less hardly noticed the lack of news.

Sorry about yer mum (I'm sure someone can find a suitable Dr Who .gif)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinna View Post
    Sorry about yer mum (I'm sure someone can find a suitable Dr Who .gif)

Best of luck with your mum, Immitis; I've been through cancer with family myself, and it's a trial.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    not to get personal or anything, so please ignore this post if you dont care about this sort of thing. but i know that i try to keep this and a couple other threads updated on the latest info and whatnot i hear around the web and places but my mother is in pretty bad condition due to throat cancer and is gonna go at any moment now and is currently comatose in hospice.

so i just ask that people please excuse if when i do post if some of the news is a little late or a repost and i dont notice beforehand.
    That's really heart breaking

Deleted
    Game of Thrones Star to Guest in Doctor Who!

Having landed back in the UK fresh from touring the US, today Maisie Williams sets foot on the Doctor Who TARDIS to take up a guest role in the hit BBC One show that returns to our screens this Autumn.

Maisie has already found global fame and is renowned for her role as Arya Stark in the international fantasy drama series Game of Thrones. She also starred in the one-off docu-drama Cyberbully and was cast as one of the leads of Carol Morley’s drama The Falling. As well as beinga three-time Screen Actors Guild Awards nominee, in February of this year she was awarded with a Shooting Star Award at the Berlin Film Festival.

On her first day on set Maisie Williams said, “I'm so excited to be working on Doctor Who as it’s such a big and important part of British Culture. I can’t wait to meet the cast and crew and start filming, especially as we’ll be shooting not too far from my home town.”

Steven Moffat, lead writer and Executive Producer, added, “We’re thrilled to have Maisie Williams joining us on Doctor Who. It’s not possible to say too much about who or what she’s playing, but she is going to challenge the Doctor in very unexpected ways. This time he might just be out of his depth, and we know Maisie is going to give him exactly the right sort of hell.”

Bursting with drama, wit and heart, the show continues filming with two period adventures - ‘The Girl Who Died’ written by Jamie Mathieson and Steven Moffat, and ‘The Woman Who Lived’ by Catherine Tregenna. Starring Peter Capaldi (The Doctor) and Jenna Coleman (Clara Oswald), the duo continue to time travel through epic adventures Directed by Ed Bazalgette (BBC One’s 18th Century drama Poldark).

Comedian and actor Rufus Hound who recently appeared in the series Cucumber also joins the guest cast alongside BBC Three’s Siblings and CBBC’s Horrible Histories star Tom Stourton, Ariyon Bakare, Simon Lipkin, Ian Conningham, Murray McArthur, Barnaby Kay, John Voce, and Struan Rodger.

Doctor Who has had a decade of success since its re-launch and is one of BBC One’s most highly regarded dramas. The much-loved brand is already a phenomenon delivering on a global scale, with the last series’ (series 8) consolidated average at 7.4 million.

The BBC Cymru Wales produced drama will return to BBC One this Autumn with further casting to be announced in due course.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho...5-137ecd727f86
    Last edited by mmoc586e3b8dfe; 2015-03-30 at 01:14 PM. Reason: source link added

10+ Year Old Account
    That is the one and only time I would be ok with them going off book to kill Arya, if she was cast right away as the new companion .
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

I need to get into this show...

Anyone know an easy way for me to binge watch season eight (online would be preferred!)

I've watched all of the other seasons on Netflix, but they don't have the latest on there and it has been driving me crazy.

There's 4 episodes on iplayer but it starts at episode 7, not sure if that's going to do you any good.

Quote Originally Posted by Dasffion View Post
    There's 4 episodes on iplayer but it starts at episode 7, not sure if that's going to do you any good.
    I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm still going to try the first six but that definitely helps. I appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by lazypeon100 View Post
    I'll have to keep that in mind. I'm still going to try the first six but that definitely helps. I appreciate it!
    Keep in mind if you're not in the UK you'll need an addon like Hola.

we all begged and pleaded and weve been rewarded, jamie mathieson the writer who wrote mummy on the orient express and flatline in series 8 in his doctor who writers debut. some of the best episodes of the series and from what i can see the two most all around well recieved by the fanbase as a whole. now this will only be his third episode so there could always be a downturn but all we can judge him on is what weve seen so far and in my opinion if they are even half as good as those two they will be amazing.

"There truly is nothing like an isolated influx of exciting news to make us fully aware of how little information we have been allocated since Series 9 began production just over 2 months ago. Yesterday broke not only the thrilling casting of magnificent ‘Game of Thrones’ Actress Maisie “Valar Morghulis” Williams – but also the return of Series 8 writer Jamie Mathieson; something that was quietly assumed by all given the success of both his episodes from last year. Mathieson joins Steven Moffat, Catherine Tregenna and Toby Whitehouse in what is looking to be the most impressive line-up of writers the any season has seen to date. Today, join me in listing 5 reasons why Mathieson is more than worthy of the excitement his return has bred as well as predicting what we can look forward to in his Series 9 episode: “The Girl Who Died”

5. Exceptional Characterisation

It’s no secret that throughout his first series, particularly during the early episodes, the 12th Doctor lacked a certain approachability in order to stress the Time Lord’s alien nature. While instantly loving Capaldi’s incarnation from the get go, for me it took until Mathieson’s episodes for the character to embody a more relatable attitude as well as a totally commanding screen presence. “Mummy on the Orient Express” saw the Twelfth Doctor take on a more dominating role of authority than the series had seen at that point so far, proving to some sceptical viewers that Mathieson wasn’t afraid to add previously divulged layers to his protagonist as well as keeping to the prescribed development path the character was undertaking throughout the duration of the series. Between the banter, the lies, the manipulation and the heroism there was no faulting his characterisation of the Doctor which of course continued impeccably into “Flatline” which featured an incarnation-defining speech that was further heightened only by Capaldi’s amazing performance.

“I tried to talk. I want you to remember that. I tried to reach out, I tried to understand you, but I think that you understand us perfectly. And I think you just don’t care. And I don’t know whether you are here to invade, infiltrate or just replace us. I don’t suppose it really matters now. You are monsters. That is the role you seem determined to play. So it seems I must play mine. The man that stops the monsters. I’m sending you back to your own dimension. Who knows? Some of you may even survive the trip. And, if you do, remember this. You are not welcome here. This plane is protected. I am the Doctor. And I name you the Boneless.”

His second episode saw an equal amount of justice go the way of Clara when circumstances saw her frightened and overwhelmed – but channelling the bravery, courage and even the detachment of her mentor, she manages to rise above it and hold her own weight as the clear leader of the group desperate to survive. It is without a doubt one of the characters best moments at the hand of Mathieson. With his new credit carrying the suggesting title of “The Girl Who Died” could another brilliant Clara-central episode be on the table?

4. Original, Dominating Threats

One only needs to look back to the top 2 choices in last year’s “Best Monster of 2014 award” to notice the common variable between both the Boneless and the Foretold was their respective creator, Jaime Mathieson. There’s no doubting how well received and highly regarded both his creations were last year, easily earning their respected places in the mythology of the show. The sheer originality of the Boneless is something one can only meet with a mixture of dread and awe – monsters from another dimension invading our own, bringing themselves into the 3rd dimension and discarding human lives as collateral damage along the way.

What the Boneless do to Roscoe and PC Forrest is truly gruesome, dissecting both. Roscoe’s remains are stretched out like spaghetti on the mouldings of his flat, while a flake of his skin is stripped off and blown up on another wall. Forrest fares worse, with the Boneless ripping her entire nervous system out and stringing it up like a blueprint. The Foretold by extension was one of the scariest realisations of a monster the show has ever had, and Mathieson’s writing of the monster as well his decision to have them kill their victims over a period of exactly 66 seconds maintained the haunt and suspense of the Mummy’s presence for the entire episode. Both threats as well as the villainous ‘Gus,’ whose potential still remains open, have a solid threatening presence both on and off the screen, making for well-paced plots easy to invest in and be overwhelmed by.

3. Atmosphere

Between a magnificent train roaming around space and … Bristol, there is no lack of variety to the settings Mathieson wrote both his episodes in. He’s one of the few writers I’ve found to so far always give his atmosphere a personality and a solid role in the plot of his episodes, and it is undoubtedly one of the winning ingredients to how well received both his contributions were. With Flatline’s contemporary setting, so came with it a quirky and environment appropriate tone that ensured the plot used its surroundings to the best of its ability. Whether it be the chaotic and graffiti stricken streets or the still and dark tunnels; the atmosphere of Flatline is so refreshingly urban and bare it lends itself to establishing the episodes success skilfully.

Standing opposed to that is Mathieson’s other episode “Mummy” which takes advantage of the rich, indulgent and somewhat fantastical setting of the play. The unreliability of space takes the audience out of their comfort zone: in an alien setting being cornered by a creature of myth and legend they are alone and vulnerable. With his Series 9 edition being already billed as a period piece, it’s clear that 2015 will see Mathieson channel his creativity and ability in created a historically permissive atmosphere – one which I personally cannot wait for.

2. No Weak Roles

I’ve already mentioned the writer’s immense talent for characterisation of our main roles, but mention must also go to his envied ability to create his own realistic and fleshed out characters in the ‘supporting actor’ category. Firstly, there’s no doubting the genius behind major guest roles like the witty and lovable Perkins, the relatable and unstable Maisie, the edgy and courageous Rigsy and the distasteful and nefarious Fenton – but what is commendable about Mathieson is that even the most fleeting of minor roles feel substantial in their own right. This is shown by the examples of PC Forrest, George, Captain Quell and Professor Moorhouse – all characters that while lacking durable opportunities to flourish in the plots of 45 minutes do not lack a clear purpose on screen. There are no forgettable or weak roles in any of Mathieson’s scripts – an ability which unfortunately isn’t extended to every single writer who has worked for the show in its 51 year History.

1. Balance of Tones

Variety is something Doctor Who has never been short of – a show that can literally fit into a different genre of television week after week. However, it’s getting increasingly rarer for an episode to be simultaneously narratively coherent and thematically diverse – which is exactly what both Mathieson’s scripts were. “Mummy on the Orient Express” wasn’t just your typical base under siege story; it was a story soaked heavily in the theme of friendship and hate, as well as continuing the series long arcs focusing on both the Doctor’s morality and the actions of a soldier. It was a story of choice and consequence as well a story of mythical curses and scientific victory, garnished with the undertones of a psychotic and murderous computer system.

In contrast, “Flatline” wasn’t just a classic ‘Monster of the Week Invasion’; but also an episode that tackled the significances of one’s inspirations in their actions, the unforgiving nature of evil and the hypocrisy of the Doctor’s actions. Aside to Mathieson’s mastering of assorted storytelling, he also has an impeccable talent for achieving a balance between light-hearted action sequences and slower, thought provoking dialogues in order to ensure his audience takes more from his episodes then just a memorable one liner. It’s this I feel is his greatest strength as a writer.

Of course, no writer is without their discrepancies – however I believe that these specific 5 reasons (as well as countless more there simply isn’t room to list) are proof Mathieson’s values very much outweighs his faults and why I personally am extremely pleased with the news of a Moffat-Mathieson co-write gracing our screens this year. Are you too rejoicing in Jamie’s return? Let us know in the comments below."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/5-reaso...turn-72729.htm

- - - Updated - - -

"It appears that the 12th Doctor’s costume will be getting a bit of a makeover during Series 9.

Twitter user Amberlabamba snapped the images below which were taken in-between recent filming:"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/12th-doctor-costume-change-for-series-9-72720.htm
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Deleted
    Anyone else looking forward to Maisie williams' cameo? Shes a smart kid, who is street and tech wise and has coped well with the pressures of attention from being on GoT.

10+ Year Old Account
    So glad Jamie Mathieson is coming back. His two episodes last season were my exception, easily two of my favourites.

Not liking the tweaks to his outfit... Hopefully they're just temporary.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Looks like Rory Williams is going to be time traveling again... well, in a manner of speaking.

http://deadline.com/2015/03/arrow-fl...cw-1201401541/

10+ Year Old Account
    I was going to get to meet Jenna Coleman this weekend at a convention in Orlando. She canceled! Oh the humanity! I don't even want to go anymore.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    I was going to get to meet Jenna Coleman this weekend at a convention in Orlando. She canceled! Oh the humanity! I don't even want to go anymore.
    Don't worry, if her work on Doctor Who is anything to go by she'll keep going back to that convention long past the time everyone is sick of her .

Quote Originally Posted by Waaldo View Post
    yeah the wife and i were upset about her and arthur cancelling, but we'll be there all 3 days

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrostee View Post
    yeah the wife and i were upset about her and arthur cancelling, but we'll be there all 3 days
    This is the second time Arthur has canceled to a convention I'm going to. Would have loved to meet him. There are still plenty of other good people to meet at least. Have a good time! I'm only going to be there on Saturday.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Don't worry, if her work on Doctor Who is anything to go by she'll keep going back to that convention long past the time everyone is sick of her .
    Are people really sick of her? I still like her. I'm still a few episodes behind so I haven't been in this thread, and I don't want to go back any pages in fear of spoilers.
    These aren't the spoilers you're looking for.

Move along.

Quote Originally Posted by Blueobelisk View Post
    Now, Waaldo is prepared to look for this person like Prince Charming testing everyone to see just how bad their psychological disorder is if their foot fits in the glass slipper.

I'd wager people are more sick of how she's been written than the character herself. The term Clara Show was thrown around very often, and not just out of spite.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh