Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

I'm pretty sure I know where Gallifrey is, and if it is where I think it is, I know why they'd bring back Susan. She definitely ties into it.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Donna was much better in that respect. To be honest pretty much all the companions will happily call out the Doctor so I'm not seeing what's so special about Clara. And Clara needs to grow up herself, she's outright unstable at times. The dynamic that I'm seeing is very much one where Clara is made worse by the Doctor and not Clara making the Doctor better. And that could have been an interesting arc if Moffat didn't idolise Clara as the most important girl in the universe and if I didn't think that that dynamic is probably accidental and unintended. If last season had ended with the Doctor realising what Clara can be like and dumping her then that would have been a great character arc.

I think she's a fine enough companion when she's actually just being a companion, helping the Doctor with his latest random adventure. But when Moffat tries to turn things into the Clara show, fore fronting her personal drama and making her cosmically significant she's unbearable.
    Clara always seemed like she is always whining and is never fucking happy. I really want her to die this season, super tired of her. I want a male main companion, all companions in this new reboot has all been females or a male tied to another female companion. The only one that is even close is Jack, but he is never really truly a main companion.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

gallifrey is in another dimension. its possible its in the one susans in. its possible shes not susan, its possible shes just some rando. its possible even if she is susan she knows nothing about gallifrey.
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    I'm pretty sure I know where Gallifrey is, and if it is where I think it is, I know why they'd bring back Susan. She definitely ties into it.
    Spill the beans.
    I don't know anything for certain, but I can make a REALLY good guess. And I think its so good that I won't say a word.

I do believe that Moffat's plan is to be the showrunner until Twelve finds Gallifrey. Then he leaves. I think all of his plans for the show wrap up with that event. We're building towards that now. My guess is it happens either at the end of this series or next. I think Susan is involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if David Bradley reprises his role as the first doctor and some other ex doctors return for that event as well.
    Last edited by Kokolums; 2015-07-13 at 01:12 AM.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

I don't know anything for certain, but I can make a REALLY good guess. And I think its so good that I won't say a word.

I do believe that Moffat's plan is to be the showrunner until Twelve finds Gallifrey. Then he leaves. I think all of his plans for the show wrap up with that event. We're building towards that now. My guess is it happens either at the end of this series or next. I think Susan is involved.

I wouldn't be surprised if David Bradley reprises his role as the first doctor and some other ex doctors return for that event as well.
    If you don't say a word you can't come back when they reveal it and say "I knew it"

Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    IDK where exactly you live, but in England, you have to buy a license to watch TV. IE, watching the BBC on a television already costs money. Apparently the BBC is trying to enforce that online now, and if you were watching their stream online....well, free ride is over, I guess.
    thanks obama

I just finished bingewatching the show for the first time (Just the new series), was Gallifrey in the original series in a large role? Becuase I feel if it werre to come back now from what I have seen that would stagnate the story quite a bit.

The trailer was really good, but I hope she doesn't turn out to be Susan since that would be a major character where people who didn't see the original might be lost.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Faltemer View Post
    The trailer was really good, but I hope she doesn't turn out to be Susan since that would be a major character where people who didn't see the original might be lost.
    Don't think that would be a problem. That's Dr Who, old characters come and go quite easily, regardless of their importance when they were first on the show, and it's never hard to explain again (and again, and again) who they are, since anyone being with the Doctor at that moment would need the same explanations not-so-old viewers would need.

And you don't really need to know everything about a character to make him interesting. For example the Master came back in the new series in 2007 (iirc), while he's a character that first appeared in the 70s. Didn't make him less interesting or hard to grasp for newcomers.

- - - Updated - - -

(And now go bingewatch the older ones, there's a lot of awesomegoodstuff in there )
    Oh, hi.

I kind of agree that the trailer didn't really do anything for me. New monsters, oooh. I like new monsters, but only inasmuch as they relate to the themes of Doctor Who. IE, for me, moments like last season's Into the Dalek where there this ambiguous statement at the end that the Doctor is the best Dalek, etc, is really what gets me going.

Deleted
    Apropos of nothing, I thought I'd post these synopses I made for a hypothetical season some time ago. The focus here is on a stand alone season with mostly stand alone episodes, but with a loose four part finale. The tone of the episodes range from comedic to pretty serious and scary. One of the episodes - Toxin - was based on a pretty terrifying nightmare I had and I think could easily be the scariest episode in the show's history. Anyway, enjoy and I'd be interested to see if anyone else has ever thought up fan episodes.

E1: In the Hall of the Collector:
    In the 26th century on the planet Arrinath, The newly regenerated Doctor is hired by the mysterious Collector as security for his manor. But when the notorious cat-burglar Sofia Green sets her sites on the Collection, the Doctor starts to think he has bitten off more than he can chew. But by the end, a beautiful friendship is born.

E2: Call of the Chupacabra:
    The Doctor takes Sofia to his favourite planet - Earth. Aiming for 21st century London, the TARDIS instead lands him in 21st century Australia, where a mysterious something is slaughtering the local sheep. Can Sofia and the Doctor unravel the mystery of the Chupacabra?

E3: Open Season:
    The Doctor and Sofia travel to the famed jungles of Tikosh. Intending to sight-see, they find themselves in opposition to a poaching expedition. The Doctor must stop the murder of the rare Kalinad - an alien monkey, whilst Sofia must confront her own morality and thirst for crime.

E4: The Crone of Mercia:
    The Doctor and Sofia travel to medieval England where they find a town in worship of a mysterious hermit who claims to know the future. The two of them must uncover the Crone’s true identity - a rogue time agent - before her presence sends shockwaves throughout history.

E5: The Flatmate:
    A spiritual successor to Season 5’s The Lodger. The Doctor is kidnapped by the powerful Lady Krythalzine...for a dinner date, leaving Sofia stranded in modern England. Sofia must adjust to 21st Century life, whilst uncovering a sinister plot by the Zygons to take over the block.

E6: Death Lights:
    The Doctor takes Sofia spelunking on the deserted planet of Oon. In Oon’s maze-like caves, the two of them encounter a race of ancient predators with bioluminescent fungi on their eyes. All of a sudden light means death and darkness means safety and Sofia and the Doctor must find their way through the cave network back to the TARDIS.

E7: The Long Summer:
    Britain finally gets its wish - a summer which never ends. But the reality is truly horrifying. As drought and famine spreads across the UK and society collapses, the Doctor must team up with Kate Lethbridge Stewart and UNIT to find the alien source of the problem.

E8: Cyber-War:
    The Cybus Cyberman and the Cybermen of Mondas are locked in a brutal civil war. Sophia and the Doctor arrive on Mondas and must split up in order to play both sides of the conflict and manufacture an outcome which benefits neither side.

E9: Toxin:
    The Doctor brings Sofia back to Arrinath. sinister forces are at work on the planet. The Doctor and Sofia are taken captive by a sentient black ooze which can control people’s brains. Trapped in the ooze’s holding cell it’s only a matter of time before the Doctor, his companion and the other “inmates” lose control of their minds.

E10: No More:
    The Kinuen of Kinu are a once mighty race brought low. Now they are prime slave fodder for the Galaxy. The Doctor and Sofia form an uneasy alliance with the Kinuen leadership to stop the next slaveship.

E11: The Sacred Engine:
    The Kinuen seek to revive their once great Empire by salvaging old technology buried in the deserts of Kinu. The Doctor is forced to turn against his old allies to stop an invasion of Earth.

E12: Attack of the Kinuen (Finale Part 1):
    The Kinuen launch an assault on Earth, the Doctor hot in pursuit. Across the world UNIT is the first line of defense against the alien invasion, equipped with new technology that the Doctor finds suspiciously advanced. Amidst the chaos of the invasion, he must uncover the source of the technology and a terrible conspiracy within UNIT.

E13: Unit of Force (Finale Part 2):
    In the aftermath of the Quinuen Invasion earth is governed by the Iron Fist of UNIT and it’s director, Alan Flint. The Doctor and Sofia must go underground in totalitarian Britain to fight a secret war against UNIT, contacting the few trustworthy individuals left in the institution (namely Kate Stewart) to help bring Director Flint down.

E14: The Sillurian Who Saved Christmas (Christmas Special):
    For a thousand years the cult of Silluria has grown within the hidden corners of Earth’s civilisation. Now it is time for the Sillurians to rise from the Earth once more. Coexistence between Humans and Sillurians will not be easy, and Christmas Spirit may be the key.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Second this. Spill the beans or know that a "I knew it" wont mean a thing later down the road.

better you post a good theory now and possibly have it be wrong later with the chance of being right and having proof of your clairvoyancy!
    I'm fine with not being able to say "I knew it!"

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Then why'd you bring it up in the first place?
    to up that post count

probably was just similar to what i stated. both susan and gallifrey are in an alternate dimension/timeline.

while the comics arent canon in them the doctor always refers to susan as being lost. after the time war he lost all trace of her.

gallifrey being lost in another dimension its possible albeit a slim possibility that they are somewhere close.

but i have a feeling if susan does somehow end up showing back up that she wont have much to do with gallifrey.

it just wouldnt make sense to me for susan to have found gallifrey or to be searching for it
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

I just finished bingewatching the show for the first time (Just the new series), was Gallifrey in the original series in a large role? Becuase I feel if it werre to come back now from what I have seen that would stagnate the story quite a bit.

How confused were you when the new series brought back Sarah Jane Smith and K-9? Those weren't even new actors (like the Master); they brought back the original actors for their original roles.

Quote Originally Posted by Khime View Post
    How confused were you when the new series brought back Sarah Jane Smith and K-9? Those weren't even new actors (like the Master); they brought back the original actors for their original roles.
    or davros. plus the doctors mentioned having kids in new who anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    or davros. plus the doctors mentioned having kids in new who anyways.
    Darn it, I thought I remembered there being another one, but couldn't bring Davros to mind so thought I must just be misremembering.

Quote Originally Posted by Stayfrostee View Post
    to up that post count
    Right. Those 990 something posts in 8 years.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    Then why'd you bring it up in the first place?
    Uh, to discuss things, like what people do on forums.

- - - Updated - - -

Gallifrey wasn't named until 3's era. It was shown in 2's finale and we had scenes staged on Gallifrey but the planet was never named. Most of the stories set on Gallifrey involved the Matrix to some degree, which was a virtual reality that people would get plugged into via a helmet / bed device. They would lie on the bed inert while their mind was in the VR. Yes, it was like the 1999 film the Matrix, and yes it was called the Matrix.

The Matrix plays a role in the original series Gallifrey stories:

1. The Deadly Assassin
    2. The Invasion of Time
    3. Arc of Infinity
    4. Trial of a Time Lord

We don't see Matrix technology again until the end of series 8 with Dark Water / Death in Heaven, as the Master has built his own Matrix apparently. Oddly the word Matrix goes completely unused, likely due to the fact that the TV show hasn't mentioned the Matrix since the 1980s and the term has been co-opted in popular culture by the Keanu Reeves film. It would be really confusing to the audience at this point to call it the Matrix.

Here is a clip from 1976 where 4 is inside the Matrix.

Last edited by Kokolums; 2015-07-19 at 11:06 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Uh, to discuss things, like what people do on forums.
    I'm thinking about things, these things are so great, it's awesome. But I won't talk about it.

What a wonderful discussion, let's talk more about things we don't want to talk about.
    Oh, hi.

"Peter Capaldi has made no secret of his desire to see the Mondasian Cybermen properly back in Doctor Who, and now he has shared ideas on how they could be brought back.

Speaking to the Doctor Who Fan Show he said: “We should either have some of them becoming Time Lords and somehow channelling it so that they have access to time and space. Or I think it would be good if we had “Genesis of the Cybermen”. If we found the Doctor on Mondas itself in an adventure where he discovered the Cybermen actually being created.”

Other monsters he’d like to bring back include the Axons, Daemons, Zarbi and Menoptera.

Capaldi also shares some of his “rainy day” Doctor Who stories to watch. They are Rose, The Girl in the Fireplace, Vampires of Venice, The Rings of Akhaten, Ark in Space, Frontier in Space, Terror of the Autons, The Dalek Invasion Earth, The Web of Fear, and The Mind Robber."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...rmen-74994.htm

- - - Updated - - -

"Peter Capaldi has teased that we may see Caecilius again in Series 9.

As many fans know, Capaldi guest starred as the aforementioned character in Series 4 episode, “The Fires of Pompeii,” years before he was took on the role of the 12th Doctor.

Speaking at the recent Apple “Meet the Cast” event, Capaldi said: “With regards to my Roman alter-ego, there will be a… he may appear again.”

Capaldi later added: “He will certainly be invoked.”

Of course this doesn’t come as a surprise, as Steven Moffat has been saying for a while now that Capaldi’s past appearances in the Whoniverse will be addressed, possibly dating back to a theory Russell T Davies came up with after Capaldi’s Torchwood casting."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...es-9-74936.htm

- - - Updated - - -

"Doctor Who is the top selling BBC programme of the year, according to the broadcaster’s annual report for*2014/15.

The show was licensed to 189 territories and is listed alongside Top Gear, Orphan Black, Life Story, The Musketeers, Atlantis, Call the Midwife, Ripper Street, Sherlock and The Honourable Woman.

Other Doctor Who snippets from the report include:

Series 8 was seen in the UK by an average consolidated audience of 7.4m, and aired in over 70 other countries.

On BBC America, Doctor Who continued to grow with Series 8 delivering the show’s highest ratings to date – up 19.7% versus prior series, with an average of 2.2m viewers each week – while licensing sales on the title returned year-on-year growth of 29.1%.

Doctor Who: The World Tour social media programme saw activity on Facebook generating 130m post impressions and more than 2m video views across Facebook and YouTube.

Doctor Who remains the number one TV brand on Tumblr and ranks among Twitter’s top five most-tweeted about original dramas.

S8 on the ABC in August delivered an increased audience, and Sydney was one of five international stops on the World Tour.

The BBC have furthered investment in premium content, with key acquisitions on titles such as Doctor Who, Orphan Black and The Musketeers, contributing to an increase in distribution rights of £32.7m.

The BBC secured new licensing deals for core BBC brands including a Doctor Who partnership with LEGO.

During the year matters under review included plans to launch the global genre brands BBC First in Australia and New Zealand on Foxtel and BBC Brit and BBC Earth in Poland; and investments in The Musketeers S3 and Doctor Who S10.

Global BBC brands will remain at the heart of BBC Worldwide, as well as continued exploitation of world-class programme brands from Dancing with the Stars to Doctor Who."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/doctor-...1415-74816.htm

haters gonna hate, doctors just gonna doctate :P (dont care if thats not a word)

- - - Updated - - -

"Peter Capaldi and Steven Moffat have given some interesting views on Gallifrey’s potential return, although of course they would not be drawn on whether we’ll see it return in Series 9!

Speaking to*io9 Capaldi responded to how determined the Doctor is to find his homeworld: “I think he does absolutely want to find Gallifrey. It’s a duty. In some ways, the Doctor is quite an old-fashioned character. He does have a recognition of duties and loyalties, but these are things that are deep-set in him. I don’t think he’ll ever feel satisfied that Gallifrey is safe until he finds it. And of course, he is still riven with guilt about what he’s put Gallifrey through.”

Moffat was asked why the Doctor would even want to return with things not exactly ending on good terms with the High Council. He said: “It’s not all horrible is it. If we’re going to be all judged by the standards of our governments, we’re all screwed, aren’t we? There are loads of nice people on Gallifrey. What about the people who worked in the kitchens? What about the people that worked on the farms? They’re not responsible for that and the Doctor would know that.”

Moffat adds: “If the Doctor does ever find Gallifrey, some people are in for an arse-kicking. But he knows—he knows!—that it’s not people like us, the sad scum of the Earth, on Gallifrey, who are responsible for the terrible crimes of the High Council. And just remember that the High Council was always sort of terrible, even on the classic series.”

Michelle Gomez meanwhile says Missy absolutely knows where Gallifrey is (for real).

Capaldi also spoke about the Daleks and his belief that that the Doctor’s fight against them has only strengthened them: “I think that’s a hard thing to bear. That’s why he’s such a wonderful character. He doesn’t just defeat the aliens and move on to the next [enemy], and not worry about it. He carries the psychological scars of his battles with him.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/capaldi...frey-74828.htm

"Drop your Susan, Jenny, Rani and Chloe Webber speculation right now! Steven Moffat has said that Maisie Williams is playing a new character and is definitely not a returning character.

Speaking at the Television Critics Association’s press tour Moffat said: “Once you see what she’s up to you’ll appreciate what a clever idea [the role] was. It’s a significant role, we’re not just throwing her away. It’s a great part and she’s terrific in it.

He adds: “One thing I think is worth saying, because it keeps coming up as an issue, is that she is not playing a returning character. She’s a new character, she’s not a character from the Doctor’s past.”

Another “Ask the Execs” video has also been released today with Steven Moffat and exec producer Brian Minchin briefly discussing Williams’ casting.

It was Minchin’s idea to cast Maisie after seeing her captivating performance in “Cyberbully”. Moffat had an idea for a fantastic character and it just gelled. Moffat adds that Maisie provides a fantastical contrast to Capaldi – “It’s like a grand old Victorian actor opposite a Youtuber. They work beautifully together.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...cter-75102.htm

then again, moffat lies :P

"Next another “Ask the Execs” video with Steven Moffat and exec producer Brian Minchin pondering whether Missy could be a companion.

Moffat says the Doctor wouldn’t travel with Missy because she’s diabolical, but Minchin thinks it sounds like something they should try because of the chaos it would bring."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bts-on-...issy-75086.htm

yes pls

"Next a video with Steven Moffat and exec producer Brian Minchin who talk about the monsters this year.

Moffat says he is excited about the Zygons in Peter Harness’ “cracker of a two-parter” and how he thinks it’s nailed the “mid-season problem”. There’s a really good use for the Zygons, who he felt played a bit of a second fiddle in the 50th.

They also promise that there’s more new monsters than old this year. There’s a movement artist playing one in episode 1 and Moffat promises a cool reveal for it. The actor playing it is also playing a monster in episode 11.

Finally the pair talk about their fave Clara moment from Series 8 – the volcano scene in Dark Water. Moffat says there’s another good one coming up in episode 5 where the Doctor storms out of a place saying that he can’t help and Clara follows him out to talk to him. Moffat thinks it sums up their entire relationship in a few lines. A short, rather beautiful moment."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/bts-on-...ents-75073.htm

"Water/Death in Heaven, will receive a 3D cinema release just ahead of the Series 9 premiere.

US cinema listings have appeared for a limited two day event taking place in September. An exclusive “prequel” (yes, they’re still calling them that) entitled “The Doctor’s Meditation” for Series 9 is promised.

Details:

BBC Worldwide North America and Fathom Events announce the return of the longest running sci-fi television series, Doctor Who, to the big screen for a two-night special theatrical event, Doctor Who: Dark Water/Death in Heaven in spectacular 3D, starring Peter Capaldi.

Doctor Who: Dark Water/Death in Heaven, the show’s two-part eighth season finale, will be presented in RealD™ 3D and Dolby Atmos sound (where available) on September 15 and 16 at 7:30 p.m. (local time). The event will feature The Doctor’s Meditation- a special prequel scene to the first episode of season nine – and an exclusive interview with Doctor Who stars Peter Capaldi and Jenna Coleman, hosted by Wil Wheaton (Big Bang Theory, Star Trek: Nemesis), in addition to the two-part season eight finale.

Tickets for Doctor Who: Dark Water/Death in Heaven in 3D can be purchased online beginning Friday, July 31 by visiting www.FathomEvents.com, or participating theater box offices. Fans throughout the U.S. will be able to enjoy the event in approximately 700 movie theaters through Fathom’s Digital Broadcast Network. For a complete list of theater locations visit the Fathom Events website (theaters and participants are subject to change).

This event is US only. BBC Worldwide told Sci-Fi Bulletin that “Due to the number of events taking place for Doctor Who this year including the Symphonic Spectacular and the Doctor Who Festival, we decided against showing the episodes in UK cinema.”

A 3D Blu-ray release of the episodes will also reportedly follow 22 September."

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/exclusi...ings-75033.htm

guess who has a theater nearby with a showing

"Michelle Gomez has possibly hinted that we may not have seen the last of the Nethersphere, aka the virtual reality simulating Missy’s “Heaven” in Series 8.

Some fans noticed that Missy’s debut scene in Deep Breath depicting a ‘heavenly’ garden had a striking similarity to the one seen in Series 6 episode The Girl Who Waited.

It was something that could easily be put down to the simple logistics of the scene being filmed in the exact same location, which isn’t uncommon for Doctor Who. However when asked about it in a recent interview Gomez said: “Oh, there’s no coincidence in Doctor Who…”

She added: “Everything’s connected, that’s what makes it really spooky in a way… Yes, there’s a connection yet to be revealed.”
    "
    Gomez also refused to be drawn on whether Missy is wearing a vortex manipulator, only stating “There is a way I came back, yes.”"

http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/series-...aven-75052.htm