Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't want her, after a while she made 0 sense at all, she was good at the beginning but she lost it. I don't want to see her.

Its time for the show to move on.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

I'm pretty bored of all of the companions to be honest; not thrilled to see River's return.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

I feel like River Song was shoehorned into the Amy Pond storyline. River being Amy's daughter was a bit bizarre, especially because Amy didn't recognize her at all, ever, which they explained away in the Hitler episode in that River magically transformed twice, both times to fool Amy, once from a little white girl, to a little black girl Melody (Waters?) who was Amy's best friend, then to a different black girl so Amy wouldn't recognize her when she met the adult River later.

I also agree the marriage thing lost its mystique. In Silence in the Library, the very idea that the Doctor got married was titillating and bizarre (and later ruined by his marriage to Elizabeth I in the 50 year special, imo) and gave River a sort of power over him. But then, as we moved along, we saw that the marriage seemed to be one of convenience, the Doctor needed to tell someone his name, and it could only be kept secret with someone he was married to, and that took all the narrative force out of River, because you know that she knew all this the whole time in previous episodes, and her "power" over the Doctor was ultimately just another one of the Doctor's schemes to stay ahead of his enemies.

I think had they focused on the more cyclical nature of their relationship (him meeting her as Tennant on the day she dies, her meeting him on the day she shoots him dead - or so she thinks), and on the whole Grave of the Doctor aspect on Trensalore, it might have been a better storyline.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    I loved Dr. River Song.

For her first appearance in the Silence in the Library two-parter. Every single appearance after that, I hated her. Didn't like her "chemistry" with the Doctor because it just didn't seem or feel right, for being his wife I never really saw any love or real affection between the two. Just a lil' bit of bickering sometimes. She wasn't very fun or interesting; in fact the only interesting thing she had going for her was how mysterious she was during her first appearance.

But, after the first appearance they were slowly explaining her away and taking away from the mystery, which just made her less and less interesting as her story arc dragged on.
    This is pretty much how I felt. It was so interesting having a character who was one upping the Doctor, but eventually this wore off and what was left behind really wasn't interesting enough to carry forward. She's not my least favorite big character, but she feels like an incredibly forced presence... like they had this big amazing idea to put her in and it worked amazingly but after they did that they didn't know what to do with her.

Deleted
    I think what really bugs me about River (aside from her general obnoxiousness) is that the big mystery about her is how she knows the Doctor's name and then Moffat just says in some interview "oh she pestered him until he told her." Because remember in the Wedding of River Song, "The Doctor" actually told her that he was really a Teselecta. When 10 finds out that she knew his name, it was a big fucking deal. He made it sound like something of earth shattering significance. Then it doesn't even happen on screen?

Basically, River is the embodiment of Moffat's inability to satisfactorily resolve mysteries and myth arcs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    Basically, River is the embodiment of Moffat's inability to satisfactorily resolve mysteries and myth arcs.
    I don't know... The whole "Melody Pond/River Song" thing was pretty fucking boss.

Also, I decided due to Netflix to go back and watch New Who from the start... Man I'd forgotten how good Christopher Ecclestone was. SUCH a badass.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I don't know... The whole "Melody Pond/River Song" thing was pretty fucking boss.

Also, I decided due to Netflix to go back and watch New Who from the start... Man I'd forgotten how good Christopher Ecclestone was. SUCH a badass.
    I was fine with that twist but it didn't really address the initial mystery of River. For me that was not just who she was but how she knew the Doctor's name. It just baffles me that Moffat decided not to make a big deal out of that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Protar View Post
    I was fine with that twist but it didn't really address the initial mystery of River. For me that was not just who she was but how she knew the Doctor's name. It just baffles me that Moffat decided not to make a big deal out of that.
    Yeah... That will go down as one of the biggest wasted oppertunities in TV history, he has a chance to spin a truely legendary tale, but instead chose nothing.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

i never liked river until lets kill hitler, hated her before that episode. although i kind of have a thing for crazy/psychotic women so, that probably has alot to do with turning that around. kinda wish they hadnt written mels out so quickly though.

rivers arc in general probably wouldve been better if they stuck to the original reverse timeline thing instead of this big mess of ins and outs
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Are you my mummy?

10 years on and Empty Child is still a super and terrifying episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Are you my mummy?

10 years on and Empty Child is still a super and terrifying episode.
    and written by moffat :P
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by eschatological View Post
    I think had they focused on the more cyclical nature of their relationship (him meeting her as Tennant on the day she dies, her meeting him on the day she shoots him dead - or so she thinks), and on the whole Grave of the Doctor aspect on Trensalore, it might have been a better storyline.
    If their relationship was only now warming up, with Capaldi's Doctor, where this was going to be the "meat" of their marriage (dump Clara, and have a whole season or two of Doctor and River, plus randoms they pick up along the way), I'd have been all for it, but it sure seems like a storyline they tied off without ever getting to the INTERESTING part of it. I could see the awkwardness of 10 and 11 around River being the apparent age discrepancy (she was working the "older woman" angle pretty hard) combined with her foreknowledge, but it's only by the time they've gotten around to Capaldi that they've had enough on-screen time from the Doctor's perspective for that relationship to really start to blossom.

But it feels like they just cut the legs out and threw it away. I'm hoping they decide to get timey wimey and bring her back for a long stay, so they can explore the two of them being a married couple, long(ish) term, but I'm thinking they won't.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    and written by moffat :P
    Yeah it's funny, of my top three episodes (in order Blink, Family of Blood and Empty Child) two are written by Moffat . As I've said many many times, I think he's an amazing writer, but as a show runner he's started to run out of ideas. He needs to go back to being just an writer and let someone with a fresh perspective take up the main role.

Deleted
    I just think he's not very good at arcs or consistency. He has great ideas for stand-alones or two-parters but the moment he tries to build up mysteries over multiple episodes or seasons, he just doesn't know how to bring it all to a satisfying conclusion.

Deleted
    Series 9 Prologue is here !

10+ Year Old Account
    That was pretty freaking good. The hype is real.

Who do you think he was talking about? At first I thought it was the Master, then I remembered the Master is the Mistress now lol. Davros maybe?

davros is rumoured to be in the first two parter

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    davros is rumoured to be in the first two parter
    Aye, that was my train of thought. Apparently the Dalek Emperor is showing up as well... Gods I can't wait.

So, I've been a little out of the loop when it comes to Doctor Who recently. Not sure if we know this information, but if we do, can someone tell me if we're getting both episode 1 and 2 on the 19th or is it just going to be the first one and we gotta wait a week for the second part to see how it ends?

Quote Originally Posted by Adoxe View Post
    So, I've been a little out of the loop when it comes to Doctor Who recently. Not sure if we know this information, but if we do, can someone tell me if we're getting both episode 1 and 2 on the 19th or is it just going to be the first one and we gotta wait a week for the second part to see how it ends?
    im pretty sure its going to end on a cliffhanger for the first part. one apparently so big they didnt want to put it in theaters early and spoil it for people which is why were getting series 8 finale in 3d instead of the first episode