Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    agree whole heartedly. Tennant is my favorite doctor and his performance is unparalleled.

I enjoy capaldi more than smith. I dunno i feel Smith is wildly over rated. The best thing smith had going for him was his synergy with the ponds.
    I honestly like Smith better than I do Capaldi. Capaldi just feels so dry. I feel like his run was ruined by the whole Clara thing.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by apepi View Post
    I honestly like Smith better than I do Capaldi. Capaldi just feels so dry. I feel like his run was ruined by the whole Clara thing.
    Disagree on the first part. Even though the seasons have been weak, Capaldi has always delivered a knockout performance.

However, I do agree that Clara ruins everything. I'm really hoping that between Bill this season and Moffatt fucking off next season, we just might get one season where Capaldi really gets to show his skills.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Disagree on the first part. Even though the seasons have been weak, Capaldi has always delivered a knockout performance.
    Capaldi grew on me a lot. I still think Smith is my Doctor and will always be, but man Capaldi is a joy to watch.

I started new Who back, already made it through Eccleston (always forget how much I loved him before he became a dbag) and all excited to watch Tennant take it over for a bit...but at the back of my mind I am really, really looking forward to rewatching Capaldi's episodes with fresh eyes.

I think I'm going to like the episodes, story and all, far more than I did the first go through.
    BAD WOLF

15+ Year Old Account

However, I do agree that Clara ruins everything. I'm really hoping that between Bill this season and Moffatt fucking off next season, we just might get one season where Capaldi really gets to show his skills.
    Don't get me wrong, his performance is good. He did a very well job in Heaven Sent. But from Matt Smith's whole reign vs Capaldi's, Smith wins easily. I honestly feel like hes a one trick pony, he doesn't have much range as an actor, at least he has not shown it in Doctor Who. Also, I do agree the author's have been horrible. It has been getting much much more worse since Tennant.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I think I'm going to like the episodes, story and all, far more than I did the first go through.
    Funny you should say that... I recently rewatched New Who. I had the EXACT same reaction to Matt Smiths run. I liked it the first time, but coming out of Tennats run (who I LOVED) I don't think I really gave it a chance.

But watching it through now in a slightly more unbiased frame of mind I really really enjoyed the Smith/Ponds era. They had some amazing stories and the whole thing just kinda... Works.

Plus Karen Gillan is so fucking hot. Just... DAMN.

@apepi that's far enough. Tbh I think Capaldi's first seasons have been good, but slightly annoying because they could have been SO MUCH BETTER. Capaldi is a phenomenal award winning actor, one of the best to ever be on the show.

And they have him playing second fiddle to the talentless lump of cardboard Clara... Just... Wtf? Why hire such an amazing actor and then not let him do what he does best? I mean, it's no accident that his highest rated episode is the one with only him in it.

That's why I'm really hoping that series ten will be a step up. And if I'm wishing here, I'd love Capaldi to stick around for a Moffat free season 11. Even if it's just one season, I want to see what he can do without Moffat and Clara dragging him down.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

15+ Year Old Account
    @apepi that's far enough. Tbh I think Capaldi's first seasons have been good, but slightly annoying because they could have been SO MUCH BETTER. Capaldi is a phenomenal award winning actor, one of the best to ever be on the show.

And they have him playing second fiddle to the talentless lump of cardboard Clara... Just... Wtf? Why hire such an amazing actor and then not let him do what he does best? I mean, it's no accident that his highest rated episode is the one with only him in it.

That's why I'm really hoping that series ten will be a step up. And if I'm wishing here, I'd love Capaldi to stick around for a Moffat free season 11. Even if it's just one season, I want to see what he can do without Moffat and Clara dragging him down.
    Having him on Doctor Who is liking buying a GTX 1080 just to play Minecraft. And with full disclosure, Rory was the thing that made Amy good. Clara never really had her Rory, someone that actually cared about her and disagreed with the Doctor. The next person we have on the show must actually have a life outside the doctor or it will go horrible just like Clara, it was one of the reasons Dana was so great.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed. If it had just been Amy and the Doctor it would have been... Ok, I guess. But it was the dynamic that all three had together that really made it pop.

Agreed. Danny was an awesome character and I was hoping to see WAY more of him, kinda pissed they killed him off tbh.

I'm hoping Bill will have a whole family and everything. But they'll be slightly less annoying than Martha's family...

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    agree whole heartedly. Tennant is my favorite doctor and his performance is unparalleled.

I enjoy capaldi more than smith. I dunno i feel Smith is wildly over rated. The best thing smith had going for him was his synergy with the ponds.
    I never liked Tennant as the Doctor. He is just not Doctorish at ALL. The Doctor is an outcast. A social misfit. Every single actor who played the role kept that intact. The only one who was the "cool kid" was Tennant. It just didn't feel right at all. There's no way someone can be that socially well adjusted after flying in a tardis for a 1000 years talking to themselves.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Funny you should say that... I recently rewatched New Who. I had the EXACT same reaction to Matt Smiths run. I liked it the first time, but coming out of Tennats run (who I LOVED) I don't think I really gave it a chance.

But watching it through now in a slightly more unbiased frame of mind I really really enjoyed the Smith/Ponds era. They had some amazing stories and the whole thing just kinda... Works.
    For me, Smith is my first Doctor syndrome. I watched Eccleston and Tennant before seeing Smith, but I was bingeing them on Netflix. As such, I didn't spend as much time with them. Smith was the first Doctor I spent years with, talking about his adventures, repeating his catchphrases, really getting to connect with him on a grand scale. So when I lost him, it was heartbreaking. That made it harder to instantly love Capaldi, even though his performance and chops are amazing.

That's how it happened for me and why Smith will always be 'my Doctor' b/c he was my first, true Doctor. I really like Pertwee though, fwiw. Probably my second fave.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    excuse me?

I don't you live in imaginary world thinking that the way he acts and the way his doctor is written is good.
    It is god awful it has no flair it has no passion it has nothing.

Also people that are going nuts over the guitar thing please........ what are you 14y old girls in love with an older man ?
    I do not stand corrected this doctor is probably the worst we have ever had.
    I didn't went back to see a single episode ever he became the lead role and i've watch the other seasons and some other episodes 8-10+ times.
    That alone should of the volume i do not like Capaldi's doctor.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    *snip*
    The concept of whether Doctors are good or not is a personal matter of preference and we shouldn't be attacking or raging when people feel differently. I had to learn that lesson defending Smith from people, but in the end does it really matter what other people think? A lot of people like Capaldi, but weren't as thrilled with the show as when Smith and Tennant were in it. Whether that is just writing or a chilly reception to Capaldi overall, Idk. But Capaldi is a very talented and respected actor, so I have to think his personal style just doesn't resonate with you at all. And that's ok, but not absolute.

And the guitar? I hate it. But I don't hate this Doctor.
    BAD WOLF

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    The concept of whether Doctors are good or not is a personal matter of preference and we shouldn't be attacking or raging when people feel differently. I had to learn that lesson defending Smith from people, but in the end does it really matter what other people think? A lot of people like Capaldi, but weren't as thrilled with the show as when Smith and Tennant were in it. Whether that is just writing or a chilly reception to Capaldi overall, Idk. But Capaldi is a very talented and respected actor, so I have to think his personal style just doesn't resonate with you at all. And that's ok, but not absolute.

And the guitar? I hate it. But I don't hate this Doctor.
    I know the personal plot but when Immitis starts to write random shit because you do not agree with him well yeah.
    Smith is hands down the best doctor for this age in time.
    Tennat was wonderful and build the character so much but Smith is probably the best option for the new age.

And by that i mean the way they play their doctors and the way story's whole arcs are written for them.

Capaldi might be insanely talented actor yes but that doesn't make him a good fit for the doctor not the way he is been written anywho.

Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    I didn't went back to see a single episode ever he became the lead role and i've watch the other seasons and some other episodes 8-10+ times.
    Interesting. Myself I went back and watched Listen and the Caretaker again from series 8. I liked the banter between the Doctor and Pink.

As far as series 9, The Magician's Apprentice was amazing and his best episode ever, but it is ruined because it is a two-parter paired with the Witch's Familiar which is his worst story. Witch's Familiar is just awful. Moffat had written the Doctor and Clara into a terrible situation in Magician's Apprentice and gets solves it by basically turning them into gods and making the Daleks look like inept idiots. Yikes that was bad. Hell Bent was similarly bad, with the Doctor just kinda solving problems because he's the Doctor.

Outside of Listen, the Caretaker, and the Magician's Apprentice, series 8 and 9 have had some incredibly weak stories. You could put Matt Smith in these stories and I wouldn't want to watch most of them either.

As much as I like Matt Smith as the Doctor, he really cannot do drama. Smith doesn't have the gravitas for it. Peter Capaldi is a trained actor with real chops and should be given some more dramatic turns instead of all the deus ex machina his stories have had. Chibnall might actually be very good for him because Chibnall can write drama but Capaldi may not stick around.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

Deleted
    Moffat Doesn’t Think He’ll Be Writing Capaldi’s Regeneration

Steven Moffat has said he believes he will not be writing the Twelfth Doctor’s exit when he departs as Doctor Who showrunner with the 2017 Christmas special.

Speaking in the latest Doctor Who Magazine (#502) Moffat says: “I have no reason to suppose that I’m writing out a Doctor! Peter is loving the role, and long may he do so.”

This does align with previous Capaldi comments stating he had been invited to stay on for Chris Chibnall’s Series 11, although Capaldi did also say he had not made his mind up back then.

Moffat further talks about how he thinks he’ll approach his final episode and whether they’ll be a ‘victory lap’ like with Russell T Davies’ and ‘The End of Time’: “The departure of a showrunner doesn’t mean anything to the audience. Most of the audience doesn’t know that I exist, so they’d go blank if I attempted to wave goodbye to them. Oh, the embarrassment that would be. So I’m damned if I’m imposing my departure on the show. I just want to do a good one, before I hand over to Chris [Chibnall].”
    http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/moffat-...tion-80876.htm

Good, good, more Capaldi, that's what we need !

10+ Year Old Account
    Awesome. I think a LOT of the haters will be won over if we can get a Moffat free Capaldi run.

Unless of course Chibnal turns out to be even worse...

Awesome. I think a LOT of the haters will be won over if we can get a Moffat free Capaldi run.

Unless of course Chibnal turns out to be even worse...
    Chibnall is good at creating interesting characters. He wrote Hungry Earth / Cold Blood and basically invented the character of Madame Vastra there (and in effect created the Pasternoster Gang)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    Chibnall is good at creating interesting characters. He wrote Hungry Earth / Cold Blood and basically invented the character of Madame Vastra there (and in effect created the Pasternoster Gang)
    He also wrote Broadchurch, which is a phenomenally good crime drama, with amazing characters... So he's got serious prior credit!

10+ Year Old Account
    Guess what i've heard about doctor who????

nothing...seriously this content lul is painful just give me Clara back and her terrible story anythings better than nothing -.-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

nothing...seriously this content lul is painful just give me Clara back and her terrible story anythings better than nothing -.-
    *smack*

DON'T YOU DARE SAY THAT!

I agree about the content drought though

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post

Naw man. If we are going back, lets go back to Donna and Tennant.