Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Bill, what an idiot. Selling a planet to save a Type 3 Immortal from an explosion. I hope she doesn't stay for the next season.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Bill, what an idiot. Selling a planet to save a Type 3 Immortal from an explosion. I hope she doesn't stay for the next season.
    wasnt it announced that shes only for this season?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Elim Garak View Post
    Is she aware of his regenerative capabilites? Or even his immortality?
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

She has no idea that doctor can regenerate and how exactly it works.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DemoBytom View Post
    She has no idea that doctor can regenerate and how exactly it works.
    I think the Doctor is the same right now. He doesn't know if he's got more in the bank or if it's one shot. Being blind probably has him thinking his regeneration juju isn't up to snuff.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    Not really. He mentioned something about it in one of the past episodes, she went "Wait, what?" and he just kept going without elaborating. I can't remember the exact quote.
    Yeah that's what I thought. So it's not really THAT silly for Bill to think drastic action was required to save him.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    That's even worse, she sold entire planet into slavery to save an alien she knows nothing about, who explicitly told her not to.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, I have been a bit behind on watching Doctor Who.

Episode 5 was pretty good, I enjoyed it, I don't understand how Bill did not die.

Episode 6....The Tardis is possible, to say that those portal things are impossible to be a thing is horrible. But the episode was not bad, though it felt kind of a waste to watch it.

Ill watch the next episode a bit later.
    Time...line? Time isn't made out of lines. It is made out of circles. That is why clocks are round. ~ Caboose

My sister, who usually devours all science fiction especially time travel, came to me after the last episode and said she just can't get into series 10. One thing we agreed on was that its really difficult to hear what the actors are saying at times. Several times this season, I've had to hit rewind and rewatch a scene 3 times because Capaldi and Mackie read their so fast and their accents are so thick that I simply do not know what they said. I couple of times I simply gave up and never could figure it out.
    TO FIX WOW:1. smaller server sizes & server-only LFG awarding satchels, so elite players help others. 2. "helper builds" with loom powers - talent trees so elite players cast buffs on low level players XP gain, HP/mana, regen, damage, etc. 3. "helper ilvl" scoring how much you help others. 4. observer games like in SC to watch/chat (like twitch but with MORE DETAILS & inside the wow UI) 5. guild leagues to compete with rival guilds for progression (with observer mode).6. jackpot world mobs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Upcoming episode looks like it draws a lot of parallels with the master/ Martha Jones :/

Quote Originally Posted by Kokolums View Post
    My sister, who usually devours all science fiction especially time travel, came to me after the last episode and said she just can't get into series 10. One thing we agreed on was that its really difficult to hear what the actors are saying at times. Several times this season, I've had to hit rewind and rewatch a scene 3 times because Capaldi and Mackie read their so fast and their accents are so thick that I simply do not know what they said. I couple of times I simply gave up and never could figure it out.
    Yeah, I m in same boat. It's probably fine for British TV. But the speed, accents, and British slang words really make it difficult for Americans. I found that subtitles (when you can get them) help.

10+ Year Old Account
    I've got to say this slightly throws me. As a born and raised brit I never had any problem understanding, I wouldn't have guessed U.S. viewers would...

Then again, didn't you guys need subtitles for Trainspotting ?

Quote Originally Posted by Frozenbeef View Post
    What if Missy has been the Rani all this time and just been tricking us him? :S
    What if the Rani and the Master were always the same person?

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    I've got to say this slightly throws me. As a born and raised brit I never had any problem understanding, I wouldn't have guessed U.S. viewers would...

Then again, didn't you guys need subtitles for Trainspotting ?
    1) I don't have any problems understanding this show or really any modern British show. I even understand Catherine Tate, so maybe I'm unusual? Then again I've been watching Monty Python and Benny Hill on TV since I was a kid (probably inappropriate, but w/e)...so maybe I'm just exposed to it more?

2) No one understands Scottish neds.
    BAD WOLF

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    2) No one understands Scottish neds.
    There is something to be said from getting that training in from an early age! Nothing inappropriate about a bit of Monty Python!

Can't argue with that second point...

Quote Originally Posted by Kelimbror View Post
    I think the Doctor is the same right now. He doesn't know if he's got more in the bank or if it's one shot. Being blind probably has him thinking his regeneration juju isn't up to snuff.
    Don't think so. Back when 11 was regenerating he stated he go new "Regeneration Cycle" - I assume he knew he got another 12 regenerations.
    When he was using the device to temporarily get his eysight back, he stated he might be blind because of it in the next regeneration (something about borrowing from future self, don't remember the exact quote).
    Quote Originally Posted by Archaeon View Post
    In tbc everyone wished they were playing vanilla. In cataclysm everyone will wish they were playing wotlk.
    ^------True story!!

Deleted
    Only just got around to watching last weeks episode, and so far this trilogy of episodes about the monks is amazing. Seriously where has this writing been for Capaldis run????
    Tonights episode looks interesting as well, really liking where they took this instead of generic alien invasion.

tonight's episode sucked imo

the reason i say that is simply because "hope and love" has been done before to beat dictatorship in dr who, it was done under david tennant in episodes utopia, sound of drums and last of the time lords

10+ Year Old Account
    What a freakin let down... TERRIBLE episode, probably the worst of this season so far, and up there (or should I say down there?) with the worst of Capaldi's run.

The only part that was even semi interesting was the rescue attempt, with the Doctor ranting about why he's working for the Monks, and then Bill flipping out and giving a pretty solid speach... Then shooting him. Then they even managed to ruin THAT, by having the whole thing be a scam, and the whole time it was the Doctor fucking with them. What the hell man?

Interesting fact: The "regeneration" scene we saw here is the one that they teased during the season preview... Which means that when he DOES regenerate, we're going in blind. I think this lends further credence to my idea from before that Capaldi's regeneration is going to be intentionally anti-climactic. He's going to fall into a hole, we'll see a bit of light, and then the new guy will come out. No big speeches or anything like that.

Am I the only one that think the Monks would have been better as a season antagonist, rather than simply this arc?

Would have been great:

Episodes one, two and three you spend doing normal stuff, no biggie. Intruduce Bill, couple of random adventures to get to know the new companion, I'd probably have picked Pilot, Thin Ice and Oxygen. They all show off differing aspect of human nature, as well as varying time periods, which works well because...

Then comes the big reveal in episode four: You're a wizard harry!.. I mean, they're in a simulation, and the past few episodes haven't really happened, they've all been the Monks trying to learn about the human race in order to do their thing.

You then have episodes five and six dealing with the Doctor trying and failing to stop the Monks (think Extremis and Pyramid but with a few changes), culminating in the Blind Doctor, trapped and about to be blown up getting his sight back due to Bill selling out her people.

Episode seven is Lie of the land, where we're introduced to the new Monk run world, and Bill trying to free the Doctor. The episode finishes with the big reunion, and the Doctor's escape.

Then, episodes eight, nine and ten are dealing with them taking down the Monks, making a deal with the Master and saving the planet. In the end, they would realise that Bill HAS to die... But The Doctor would never allow that to happen, and instead sacrifices himself to fix everything: Cue regeneration into the new Doctor... Who is hopefully Kris Marshal.

That's how I would have done it, had I been show runner.

Although to be fair, if I was show runner, I wouldn't have Capaldi regenerate at the end of this season. I would do whatever it took to keep him around for a couple more seasons at least.

I have to agree that this weeks episode was terrible.