Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

10+ Year Old Account
    Been rewatching the Ecclestone/Tennant era...

Really makes you realise how much Moffat has been phoning it in. The quality really does nosedive once Amy leaves, Smith's last season with Clara and a lot of Capaldi's stuff is just SO weak in comparison to Ecclestone/post Rose Tennant stuff.
    Check out the blog I write for LEGENDARY Indie Label Flicknife Records:

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.
    https://www.flickniferecords.co.uk/blog/item/30-blog-30

The Unstoppable Force Kelimbror's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Immitis View Post
    his impression of matt is spot the fuck on
    These videos just remind me exactly the difference between people who can do impressions and real actors. I will say, the guy's voice acting is bloody brilliant and he does sound 99% like Matt Smith, but watching him and the guy impersonate Tom Baker reveals everything missing from both of them that made that scene really touch me and make me feel things. Smith and Baker just exuded so many more things from their bodies and the subtle inflections of their voices, to their eyes.

These guys, as neat as they are, do not have that. Maybe this will give them opportunities to learn that stuff, but this really just gave me a very impressed view of acting to be honest. It's not easy.
    BAD WOLF

class is officially cancelled.

doctor who is back down to no spin offs
    "I was a normal baby for 30 seconds, then ninjas stole my mamma" - Deadpool
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

FC: 3437-3046-3552

10+ Year Old Account
    Is anyone surprised? Class was Ass.

The only decent Doctor Who spin off was Torchwood.

Blog Thirty is live! In which we discuss our latest releases, and our great new line of T-shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Is anyone surprised? Class was Ass.

The only decent Doctor Who spin off was Torchwood.
    One reason for it CAPTAIN JACK ma boi.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ebalina View Post
    One reason for it CAPTAIN JACK ma boi.
    Tru dat!

Although I think Eve Myles has a bit of a hand in it too!

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't disagree with that.

10+ Year Old Account
    That's a shame was looking forward to seeing what the weeping angels were up to..

"We’re thrilled to welcome Mandip, Tosin and Bradley to the Doctor Who family. They’re three of Britain’s brightest talents and we can’t wait to see them dive into brand new adventures with Jodie’s Doctor.

When Jodie Whittaker takes over as the Thirteenth Doctor on the global hit show next year, she will be joined by an all new regular cast. BBC announces today that Bradley Walsh, Tosin Cole and Mandip Gill will line-up as the new regular cast on Doctor Who.
    Bradley will star as Graham, Tosin will play Ryan and Mandip will play Yasmin. Also joining the series in a returning role is Sharon D Clarke.

New head writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall, who made the decision to cast the first ever woman in the iconic role, is also shaking up who will travel with the Doctor in the TARDIS, with a team of new characters.

In more exclusive news, it is confirmed that the new series will be a ten week run of fifty minute episodes in Autumn 2018, kicking off with a feature length hour for the opening launch.

Chris Chibnall says: “The new Doctor is going to need new friends. We’re thrilled to welcome Mandip, Tosin and Bradley to the Doctor Who family. They’re three of Britain’s brightest talents and we can’t wait to see them dive into brand new adventures with Jodie’s Doctor. Alongside them, we’re delighted that Sharon D Clarke is also joining the show.”

Jodie Whittaker says: “I am so excited to share this huge adventure with Mandip, Tosin and Bradley. It’s a dream team!”

Bradley Walsh says: “I remember watching William Hartnell as the first Doctor. Black and white made it very scary for a youngster like myself. I was petrified but even though I’d watch most of it from behind the sofa through my fingers, I became a fan. I then queued up for ages to get into the Carlton picture house in Watford to watch the great Peter Cushing appear as the Doctor in a full length feature film made in glorious colour. Am I thrilled to be part of this whole ground breaking new dawn for the Doctor?? Oh yes!”

Mandip Gill says: “I am over the moon to be joining the Doctor Who family. This is an iconic show with an amazing fanbase and I look forward to everything that brings. Certain roles seem unattainable and this is one of those, so much so I didn’t believe it to be true for the first few weeks. To be working alongside the likes of Jodie, Bradley and my old friend Tosin is thrilling. This show is worlds away from the work I’ve done previously and that’s the part that excites me the most.”

Tosin Cole says: “I’m grateful and excited to be a part of this journey with the team. I’m looking forward to jumping in this Doctor Who universe.”

Matt Strevens, Executive Producer, BBC Studios says: “I am thrilled to welcome Bradley, Mandip and Tosin to the new Who family. Working with three such talented actors is going to be a lot of fun. The Doctor is in fine company.”

Piers Wenger, Controller of BBC Drama says: “The casting of Mandip, Tosin and Bradley is a mark of the new creative ambition Chris is bringing to Doctor Who. He’s already made history with the casting of Jodie. These three new characters complete a new and utterly unmissable team aboard the Tardis.”

http://renewcanceltv.com/doctor-seas...led-season-12/
    "so what do we do?" "well jack, you stand there and say 'gee rocket raccoon I'm so glad you brought that Unfeasibly large cannon with you..' and i go like this BRAKKA BRAKKA BRAKKA" - Rocket Raccoon

WOW more humans from London!! HOW FUCKING DIVERSE!!

They might as well just retcon the series to a human from London likes to travel the universe but much prefers to just go back in time to londons past cause thats is so much more interesting!!

I think iam done with this show!! Which is tragic cause ive seen every episode from Unearthly Child to the Doctor Falls. (even heard the recordings of the episodes that dont exist but only exist on audio)
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-10-25 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post

They might as well just retcon the series to a human from London likes to travel the universe but much prefers to just go back in time to londons past cause thats is so much more interesting!!

I think iam done with this show!! Which is tragic cause ive seen every episode from Unearthly Child to the Doctor Falls. (even heard the recordings of the episodes that dont exist but only exist on audio)
    I don't know what article you read but literally all they said was the cast and the names of the characters not where they're from. Unless you're suggesting they should start hiring actors from other places, which they do, although in the uk alot of actors work in London.

Yes they're likely humans from the uk, it's a uk show. I'd like an alien or companion from another time period personally but I'm not gonna lose my shit over it. Most companions come from whatever the current era is and from the uk.

I don't know what article you read but literally all they said was the cast and the names of the characters not where they're from. Unless you're suggesting they should start hiring actors from other places, which they do, although in the uk alot of actors work in London.

Yes they're likely humans from the uk, it's a uk show. I'd like an alien or companion from another time period personally but I'm not gonna lose my shit over it. Most companions come from whatever the current era is and from the uk.
    Its more that i really do wanna see a alien companion instead of another person from the UK from our time.

I want the show to go back to feeling alien again instead when i see that lineup i think its from a show from ITV or something not a show about a alien time traveller who can literally go anywhere and any when but instead cause the BBC is cheap as fuck keep keeping the show firmly in the modern time.

Hell i would even love to see another Leela not another person who jokes about not being able to access twitter from a space station 100 years from now.

Quote Originally Posted by madeupname666 View Post
    Its more that i really do wanna see a alien companion instead of another person from the UK from our time.

I want the show to go back to feeling alien again instead when i see that lineup i think its from a show from ITV or something not a show about a alien time traveller who can literally go anywhere and any when but instead cause the BBC is cheap as fuck keep keeping the show firmly in the modern time.

Hell i would even love to see another Leela not another person who jokes about not being able to access twitter from a space station 100 years from now.
    we literally just had an alien companion though, nardole. and any of those people could be an alien or something, and before nardole we had jack who was an alien and another time traveler

of course they look normal there, thats just a cast photo. theyre normal people in real life. there will almost always be atleast 1 person from modern times, because the companion is meant to represent the viewer, so people can pretend to be them

we literally just had an alien companion though, nardole. and any of those people could be an alien or something, and before nardole we had jack who was an alien and another time traveler

of course they look normal there, thats just a cast photo. theyre normal people in real life. there will almost always be atleast 1 person from modern times, because the companion is meant to represent the viewer, so people can pretend to be them
    And those characters was interesting to me. Though we could split hairs if both of those could be classed as a 'companion'.

I dont feel we need someone from our day to point out stuff for the audience at least not for me anyway but hey this is just my opinion.

I really would love to see an actual alien in a costume who could use some kind of camouflage to look human when the doctor vists nowadays or the past and can reveal itself when they are in the more enlightened future plus it will give the audience an eagerness to find out more about that companion not that she has a boyfriend in Camden Town!

TBH i actually liked some Alien humans in the classic show like Turlough and Nysaa and even Leela could be classed as that.

But looking at that photo and my gut feeling tells me what we are gonna be getting in this new season.

LIke i said its all just my opinion.
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-10-25 at 05:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    .... Jack was human.
    I was about to say that but what with the whole Tardis energy and being the alleged face of Bo i thought best not to split any more hairs.

Now back to what i was discussing with Immitis

Now this goes back to my point Captain Jack was interesting but some modern day teenager from London isnt. When we found out the truth about Clara the impossible girl she become uber annoying and that wouldnt have happened if she died making that ultimate sacrifice saving all those doctors but alas they didnt have the balls to kill her off even after Face the Raven!!

OK Dr Who devs you had the guts to make the doctor a woman now why do you follow that up by playing it safe with modern day people from London? (I assume)
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-10-25 at 08:37 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatAgain666 View Post
    Of all the reasons to quit the show, this is probably the worst I've seen yet...

Just saying, we know literally NOTHING about this characters except for their names. Mayby wait a little until you decide the show is now total unwatchable garbage?

Fun fact: I would rather they have human characters from London that were interesting, relatable and watchable than try to make the supporting cast aliens from the dark waters beneath pluto and have them be shit and boring.

Quote Originally Posted by Gallahadd View Post
    Of all the reasons to quit the show, this is probably the worst I've seen yet...

Just saying, we know literally NOTHING about this characters except for their names. Mayby wait a little until you decide the show is now total unwatchable garbage?

Fun fact: I would rather they have human characters from London that were interesting, relatable and watchable than try to make the supporting cast aliens from the dark waters beneath pluto and have them be shit and boring.
    How long you really been watching this show?

Please dont say since Nu Who!

Iam sick of characters with no interesting back story just modern day cockneys the Doctor decides to bring along cause of reasons!

Havent we had enough of that in the new show? Wouldnt you like to see new companions with a dark and interesting backstory like Turlough? Or are you satisfied with the doctor picking up another group of uninteresting modern day humans that he will just discard like a used pair of underwear?

Am i making unreasonable assumptions? Perhaps but then this is a forum where making assumptions is the name of the game.

Now like i said this is just my opinion and iam sorry about that Nu Who remark even if you did just start watching since Nu Who you have a right to your opinion and so do i.

I will say i was being a tad hyberbolic about that quiting but seeing how this is going i can quite honestly say iam seriously gonna be contemplating that especially if this is where this show is heading!

Is it too much to ask for a little Sci Fi in my Sci Fi show?
    Last edited by yetgdhfgh; 2017-10-25 at 12:44 PM.

5+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Everything Nice View Post
    .... Jack was human.
    Wasn't Jack born on a different planet, though? Couldn't that qualify him as alien?

The Unstoppable Force Elim Garak's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Arvei View Post
    Wasn't Jack born on a different planet, though? Couldn't that qualify him as alien?
    No, but he's from another time, so he is a sort of time-alien to contemporary london time.
    All right, gentleperchildren, let's review. The year is 2024 - that's two-zero-two-four, as in the 21st Century's perfect vision - and I am sorry to say the world has become a pussy-whipped, Brady Bunch version of itself, run by a bunch of still-masked clots ridden infertile senile sissies who want the Last Ukrainian to die so they can get on with the War on China, with some middle-eastern genocide on the side

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by WhatAgain666 View Post
    How long you really been watching this show?
    What does that have to do with anything? I mean, I've been watching since... Basically ever. My mother is a HUGE fan, and had a bunch of episodes of VHS (showing my age...) that I would watch over and over growing up... But honestly, WTF does that have to do with my comments? Watching longer doesn't make you any more or less able to comment on stuff that is as yet undesclosed. If it were a Lore question, or a history of Who question sure, THEN watching for a long time makes sense... But we're talking about new companions, to a new Doctor, with a new show runner. Prior history doesn't really factor in, IMO.

Tbh, uninteresting backstories do suck a bit, I'll give you that. Again though, I have to say I would rather have a character that was excellent IN the show, but has a slightly a dull backstory (token cockney #7164) than a character with a exquisitely crafted backstory and a depth of Lore that would make Tolkien cry, that just stood there doing nothing in every episode.

Also: Alien doesn't necessarily mean interesting. You can give great backstories and characters to human characters, and you can give dull AF backstories to interesting characters.