Thread: [TV] Doctor Who

Page 3 of 412 FirstFirst
... LastLast

Re: Doctor Who

If you were familiar with DW's legacy, you'd know that it's part of the show that the actor changes from time to time. This accomplishes three goods: It's a neat plot device, the actors are less threatened by typecasting, and young new actors have a chance for something quite big. It also keeps the show fresh. On top of that, if changing the actor wasn't possible, we'd have no show no more since 1975 at latest (that's when the first Doctor's actor died).

Sure, Tennant was awesome, no question at all! But he once was new too, and had to acclimate and develop. He too wasn't instantly incredible, and from what I have seen, Smith made a more than solid start. But nothing can help personal preference. I'd like to give actors more chances than 3 episodes before I dismiss them though (Look how stiff and strange Patrick Steward was in the first Star Trek: TNG episodes. He ended up as THE icon of starship captains.)

So.... episode 5. Nice little effects, nice details about that crack in space/time but I don't like how the angels evolved towards a more sentient king of monsters.
    I liked in the first episode how they where just monsters that would only "kill" you in order to feed. I got the impression that they would just send a person back in time, feast of that energy as a statue and then go find a next victim. Kinda like a snake.

In the past 2 episodes they all had a superior motive and some new abilities. What ever contains the image of an angel becomes an angel. Not something what I would expect from a monster in the Doctor Who series to be honest.

Over all episode 5 gave me a little 'meh' feeling. It wasn't bad, but not all to good either.
    On the other side however, we did get the impression that the Doctor got laid. At least he lost his frustrations of the past 900 years! :P

What do others think?
    For the Emperor.

Field Marshal

The concluding epsiode of the 2-parter was ok, I personally thought that the angels were creepier when they didn't speak. In the first appearance , Blink, they never spoke they just stalked their victims.

I had more interest in the 2 sub plots going ahead reagarding River and the crack in time.

Looking forward to the next time River appears as we learn a little bit more each time we see her.

I fear they simply have outworn the angels thing, stretched a bit too far. I didn't think of it that clearly before, but now that you mention it, they really would have made a better foe if they had stayed an occasional unorganized bunch of hungry "animals". I somehow seem to have missed some details about the rift plot because of my habit to play online poker when watching series, I might have to watch it one more time. From what I have grasped, it struck me a bit odd that the angels had something to do with it, but I really need to re-watch before making any false assumptions/conclusions.

River does seem a bit "thrown in" to me for now, but it might evolve into an interesting recurring sub plot. I'm eager to see more of that!

And... what killed this episode for me... The Doctor making out, and a hint of a sexual thing between them two. DW just didn't need that! I mean, yeah okay, man, woman, young, attractive... seems fine so far, but it always was one of the things I loved a lot about this show: The main characters had little sexually of even mentionably emotional going on between each other, making room for actual and interesting plots, without this soapy relationship crap cluttering everything. I REALLY hope that they leave it as that for the future!

Weeeell, let's continue with our little fan corner.

Last episode was pretty neat, and fits the newer DW's general line. I'd say overall a bit over average in story, I liked the acting - and even that of the boyfriend towards the end, before it was as soso like in the premiere. The visuals department made an awesome job, assuming they probably didn't film much on scene in Venice, if at all. Enjoyable mid-season standard stuff, with a much appreciated tie in of the rifts' subplot. And cool to tear open some old deep wounds by letting The Doctor sort of extinguish another species. The same issue had me wonder a bit though: Wouldn't, of all people, The Doctor try VERY hard to find a mutual solution? REALLY hard?

Well I WOULD be excited if I actually had the BBC channel. I used to watch Doctor Who all the time, but no other channel plays the episodes.

Man i can't believe i say this but... The two last episode of the New Doctor who was just Awesome! he will be just fine i think! what do you think?

Well.... Lets summarize shall we? I've missed one review so here are 2!

The Vampires of Venice.

Nice story, as said by Medium9 it is pretty much the usual DW story line. Alien race gets to earth, they want to survive/take over/destroy the humans for their survival/profit/fun, the Doctor stops them.

It wasn't bad, but I am a bit disappointed that there wasn't a 3rd option. Because at the moment I heard "fish people that want to survive on earth" I thought of Atlantis. It would of been cool if the fish people did actually make their own society under Venice and thus giving an other reason as to why the city is slowly sinking into the mud each year.
    Overall, not bad. But it could of had been better.

Amy's Choice.

When I saw the trailer I thought: Oh boy, not this "2 realities you die in the wrong one you die for good" thing again. I've seen it before and its not that special. I was kinda struggling as to which was the real one too. The village seemed like the most fake one as Amy would probably go on for more shows and couldn't get pregnant. Then again, other shows do find creative ways to "dispose" of actors when they want out of the show so that was a possibility too.
    I didn't know!! And that was what kept me watching. It wasn't predictable and the ending really cranked me up. Really nice plot twist there. It also managed to get a good tension on the relationships of the characters and then wipe it away all together!

I'm really looking forward to the next episode. The part where the Doctor yells "RUN!" always cranks me up!

Spoiler: Did anyone else think of the Master when the Doctor said "nobody else hates me as much as you."?
    For the Emperor.

I'm actually really enjoying this series of Doctor Who. Matt Smith has really grown on me :P
    Quote Originally Posted by Aerikaya View Post
    There's more bosses after Saurfang?

Quote Originally Posted by Nudi View Post
    I got 99 problems, but a totem ain't one.
    Word.

Quote Originally Posted by Sojoez

Amy's Choice.

When I saw the trailer I thought: Oh boy, not this "2 realities you die in the wrong one you die for good" thing again. I've seen it before and its not that special. I was kinda struggling as to which was the real one too. The village seemed like the most fake one as Amy would probably go on for more shows and couldn't get pregnant. Then again, other shows do find creative ways to "dispose" of actors when they want out of the show so that was a possibility too.
    I didn't know!! And that was what kept me watching. It wasn't predictable and the ending really cranked me up. Really nice plot twist there. It also managed to get a good tension on the relationships of the characters and then wipe it away all together!

I'm really looking forward to the next episode. The part where the Doctor yells "RUN!" always cranks me up!

Spoiler: Did anyone else think of the Master when the Doctor said "nobody else hates me as much as you."?
    I immediately thought The Trickster.

Spoiler (font size 1)
    I'm totally on board with this whole plot line if Valeyard is coming back.

i saw the last episode with the angels chasing them i'm always impressed with the shows creativity. the new guy isn't bad. i'm going to have to watch some repeats of older episodes i guess.

For people that didn't get a chance, BBC America is replaying at least the first series featuring David Tennant throughout the week, a bunch on Wednesday, nothing wrong with the new Who, I just like his fun-but-angryguy version of the Doc.

No review of Doctor Who this week by me. I'm waiting for the second part to form an opinion.
    For the Emperor.

Quote Originally Posted by Naekiwi
    For people that didn't get a chance, BBC America is replaying at least the first series featuring David Tennant throughout the week, a bunch on Wednesday, nothing wrong with the new Who, I just like his fun-but-angryguy version of the Doc.
    The first series had the infinity better Christopher Eccleston as The Doctor.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

He was good, but it felt more like the companions were more of the central parts with the Doctor being there often, Tennant steals the show whenever he's on screen but, I think it's better that way.

"Rose! Take Mickey and Arthur, get after it, follow it. Don't approach it, just watch what it does."
    'Arthur?'
    "Good name for a horse."
    'No, you are not keeping the horse!'
    "I let you keep Mickey!"

Doctor Who Series 5, Episodes 8 and 9.

Warning: Biased opinion.

Well, it started nice. A mysterious earth that sucks down people. Then the homo reptilian came. And the show showed me what I most detest in human nature. The militaristic, single minded, arrogant, egoistical, totally STUPID way of thinking. The whole 'Shoot first ask questions later' mentality.
    "We must dissect it to see what its week points are."
    "I hate apes/(insert race, species, religion whatever here)"
    "Its OUR planet, you cant have it"
    "We where here before you!"

Good god! I thought that people grew up mentally as well when they grew older. This is infant behavior!
    Nearly every movie I've seen that futures a military commander will show the exact same attitude. And I'm pretty sure this is what happens in the real world too. All I have to do is look at the comments in news sections.

Right.... The show...
    Overall, nice. The rant above shows that it actually pulled me into the story and made me sympathize more with the Doctor.
    The effects where nice and the costumes where well done, I never got the feeling that it was too fake.
    The ending... It seems that the TARDIS puts a curse on every male character that enters it other then the Doctor. They all die or get thrown in a parallel dimension or something! :P I guess it was inevitable for our nurse to die though. Can't say I didn't see it coming.
    Now that crack in time/space is getting more and more interesting! That little piece the Doctor pulled out makes these series to be very promisable. I'm rather anxious to see what the cause is! (and how he is going to solve it!)

Coming up! A famous Dutch painter gets haunted by something big! (Sunflowerfield?) I wonder if they will make him lose an ear during a fight! :P I'm Dutch myself and love art, so episode 10 could be one of my favorites! Also, no smart aliens for once!
    For the Emperor.

Field Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Sojoez
    Now that crack in time/space is getting more and more interesting! That little piece the Doctor pulled out makes these series to be very promisable. I'm rather anxious to see what the cause is! (and how he is going to solve it!)
    When I saw this bit, my initial thought was the end of the previous series when Matt Smith became the Doctor, what did he do at first?

He crashed the Tardis..

Did something actually happen to the Tardis?

Regarding the 2 episodes I liked this story, definetly one of the better stories, and it was nice to see one of the races resurrected from the classic series.

while this weeks episode was ok, it was a bit boring, i did like how they took him to the museum to show him how much of an influence he became, i still can't believe Rory died

The Patient

Quote Originally Posted by Ari
    while this weeks episode was ok, it was a bit boring, i did like how they took him to the museum to show him how much of an influence he became, i still can't believe Rory died
    Some scenes were good like when the doctor was fiddling about with that mirror thing he had and it's reflection showed up in it when he wasn't looking. I felt there wasn't enough action though.. also, I'm SO pleased rory is dead, he was terrible lol

I seem to be the only one who liked the last episode

First thing first: Rory dead = goooood! He added nothing but bad acting (though he actually evolved notably during the few eps he was in), and an annoying tie to Amy's roots, which felt to have the writers trapped in keeping it. And since taking him along for longer wouldn't have worked too well either, that really appears to have been the best choice. At first I thought: "Oh my, deus ex machina - wiping all memory has a nasty aftertaste of 'this was all a dream'", but really, for the sake of all episodes to come, some trick like that was the only possible way. And it actually was nicely done for that.

Now for Mr. van Gogh! I liked that actor quite a lot, the story was weak in incentives ("uh, creature in picture - need to do something!"), but it was fleshed out brilliantly. I haven't missed action, too. Lots of that usually points to a rather weakish story and/or script (not always, I know), and while the story itself wasn't that impressive (though decent), the script did it for me. The only thing I missed: A glaring crack in some wall!