Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Weerra View Post
    The horrendous reign of engineers comes to an end!

Seriously though, for all of wrath you had good pure damage buff stuff AND all the awesome tinkers. Engi was practically necessary to perform at highest level. Now you are back in line with just having a damage buff, like all others.
    In WotLK engineers had a dps tinker for gloves, and the potential for a dps belt tinker if you were melee. Later on in WotLK engineers finally got an enchant combined with tinker for the cloak and boots which finally allowed engineers to not take a dps loss for using rocket boots and a parachute cloak. So mid-WotLK engineering was still a weak profession. It wasn't until late in WotLK that tinkers stacked with enchants that engineering became OP...post 4.0.1 does not equal all of WotLK. In fact it means virtually none of WotLK.

Now fast forward to Cata. Parachute tinker stacks with enchant on the cloak so we don't take a dps loss there (no gain). Glove tinker stacks with enchant so we get a dps boost there. Rocket boot tinker moved to the belt along with all other misc tinkers so you get rocket boots or melee dps could use the old WotLK frag belt.

So no, engineering was never 'go to' until 4.0.1 through Cata launch. Considering that engineering isn't a min/max profession it would be nice if the boots wouldn't fail in raids/dungeons. I can't tell you how much it sucked on HLK25 pre-Cata for boots to fail.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    They should do, that would be hilarious.
    Add a little animation and an /emote "XenuMC's Gems have gone awhol, they are choking him!"
    Make me fly up in the air like the poor fella's at Saurfang in ICC. Would definitely make JC more interesting. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    If it was purely used to carry people, then it would never have been used by many of the best players.
    That's true, I guess the best players also use it for things like glitching heroic LK to trivialize the fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Calon View Post
    High gain, high risk. Makes sense to me.
    This is the reason. Rocket boots were overpowered for all of Wrath, especially in battlegrounds and world PVP. The fact that the failure rate is significantly higher in BGs is a pretty good indicator that Blizzard doesn't want you using them in rated BGs Although I must wonder why they'd make them a high risk/reward instead of just disabling them like they do in arenas.

Get a healer?
    Appreciate that engineering is back to the flavour it originally had, in that it's fun, but also not 100% safe*.

*Use at your discretion, accidents may vary.
    Congratulations, your mind has been expanded.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    That's true, I guess the best players also use it for things like glitching heroic LK to trivialize the fight.

This is the reason. Rocket boots were overpowered for all of Wrath, especially in battlegrounds and world PVP. The fact that the failure rate is significantly higher in BGs is a pretty good indicator that Blizzard doesn't want you using them in rated BGs Although I must wonder why they'd make them a high risk/reward instead of just disabling them like they do in arenas.
    They are completely unusable in rated BGs, as in, they do not work and are disabled. Additionally, being upset that they are powerful in world pvp is like being upset that bubble hearthing was powerful in world pvp.
    I also have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when saying they were used to glitch heroic LK, would you care to enlighten me?

I've said it in other posts, and I'll repeat it again here; Rocket Boost did need a nerf. It could have been given a longer cooldown, had the movement speed reduced, or been given a failure rate that caused it to go on CD without working.

What Rocket Boost did not need was an absolute neutering that renders it useless in almost every situation you might want to use it.

Dear thread contributors,

Please keep the flaming/trolling out of this thread. Any further comments like "QQ moar" or "lolreroll" will result in a ban and a thread lock.

Love,
    Radux

P.S. Happy Holidays to all!

Quote Originally Posted by pickley View Post
    They should do, that would be hilarious.
    Add a little animation and an /emote "XenuMC's Gems have gone awhol, they are choking him!"
    AWOL means absent without leave. In this case, the gems would just leave your gear without telling you where they were going.

Quote Originally Posted by Calon View Post
    High gain, high risk. Makes sense to me. A shame it deals 120% damage though, would be better if you were left with 90% health.
    With that line of thinking, this should happen to other professions as well.
    Your doing your thing in a dungeon and suddenly your socket in your bracers disappears and takes the gem in it with it.
    Poof, gone.
    High gain, high risk, right?

I haven't used my tinkers all that much since the xpac because I'm still leveling one of my engineers and haven't bothered with the other.
    From what I've read though it seems like I shouldn't bother right now.
    Last edited by Mihnt; 2010-12-25 at 05:09 PM.

They are completely unusable in rated BGs, as in, they do not work and are disabled. Additionally, being upset that they are powerful in world pvp is like being upset that bubble hearthing was powerful in world pvp.
    I also have absolutely no idea what you're talking about when saying they were used to glitch heroic LK, would you care to enlighten me?
    They mean engineering as a profession was used to glitch hLK, look up the Saronite Bombs incident.

I've said it in other posts, and I'll repeat it again here; Rocket Boost did need a nerf. It could have been given a longer cooldown, had the movement speed reduced, or been given a failure rate that caused it to go on CD without working.

What Rocket Boost did not need was an absolute neutering that renders it useless in almost every situation you might want to use it.
    That's the problem, people now think it will break every time they use and that they can't use it ever again. It's a gamble. That is the fun of the old engineering that was lacking for the last few years. Sure you may get a bad run (<3 the pun) but it will also save your ass when it works.
    Take the risk. Roll the dice.

yeah...that's messed up man.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossmantle View Post
    That's the problem, people now think it will break every time they use and that they can't use it ever again. It's a gamble. That is the fun of the old engineering that was lacking for the last few years. Sure you may get a bad run (<3 the pun) but it will also save your ass when it works.
    Take the risk. Roll the dice.
    That's the problem, though :/ I couldn't care less if it failed outside of raids (and indeed, would laugh whenever I'd go flying into the air in Dalaran), but the fact that it has even a chance to cause a mechanic to glitch and potentially wipe my entire raid if I use it at a crucial moment - and using a movement cooldown at a crucial moment is pretty much why movement cooldowns exist - then that means I will never, ever use it.
    I will never run the risk of killing my raid because I chose to use a 'tool' in a profession. Ever. There is a zero percent chance of me using it.

I mentioned earlier as well that the rocket boost failure is nothing at all like how engineering items failed in the past. In fact, it's only the second item in engineering's entire history that has a chance to kill you, the first being the teleporter to Tanaris that could teleport you high into the air, killing you if you didn't have your parachute cloak. In that case, it certainly would never be able to wipe your raid, either.

A fun engineering failure would be like the teleporter soul split debuff. There's nothing fun about gambling the time and fun of 9 or 24 other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Mihnt View Post
    With that line of thinking, this should happen to other professions as well.
    Your doing your thing in a dungeon and suddenly your socket in your bracers and takes the gem in it with it.
    Poof, gone.
    High gain, high risk, right?
    Not really. JC doesn't have anywhere near the gain that Eng has. The high gain is faster mobility, free slowfall, mind control, choices in these tinkers and more. Comparing awesome utility to a profession that gives you flat stats is laughable. If you're the person that loves to min/max and thinks that's all there is to this game, then grab a lackluster profession. Personally I enjoying being awesome AND having things to play with. So I keep being me and will continue to rock my engineering.
    Also to add, people complaining about the engineering changes sound like the ret pallies after Blizz nerfed them after 3.0. The tears are entertaining!

Deleted

I don't think he was talking about the rocket boots but Engineering overall. Ensidia used Saronite bombs (crafted by engineers) to bug out the platform when they got LK25 World First.

Quote Originally Posted by Teriko View Post
    I don't think he was talking about the rocket boots but Engineering overall. Ensidia used Saronite bombs (crafted by engineers) to bug out the platform when they got LK25 World First.
    It's pretty stupid to say an obvious bug should be considered some sort of benefit, as though Blizzard intended for them to work that way and Engineering should be punished because it's all their fault. The fact of the matter is that those bombs were removed from that encounter and the players involved in that raid were temp. banned. He shouldn't act like Engineers as a whole should get some sort of negative karma and this is the punishment. Personally, it makes me think he's a little jaded.

I entirely understand the concept of things failing as an engineer. What I will refuse to accept is a failure that not only can put a repair bill on myself, but on 4, 9, or 24 other people.

Nope, never had that happen yet. But the blowing up is getting extremely annoying. And engineering doesnt seem like its worth the profession slot at the moment.

Engineering is to be a fun proffession, not one that boosts your pve or pvp performance greatly.

Epic!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think blizzard have gone a little over the top with the debuffs from these tinkers. I don't mind the increased chance to fail on them but with it being able to jeopardize a complete raid on a boss fight is a little silly.

The failing tinkers should only effect the player that uses them. Shoot us up in the air. Not do anything at all. Knock us to the ground for 2-3 seconds. That kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Mossmantle View Post
    Not really. JC doesn't have anywhere near the gain that Eng has. The high gain is faster mobility, free slowfall, mind control, choices in these tinkers and more. Comparing awesome utility to a profession that gives you flat stats is laughable. If you're the person that loves to min/max and thinks that's all there is to this game, then grab a lackluster profession. Personally I enjoying being awesome AND having things to play with. So I keep being me and will continue to rock my engineering.
    Also to add, people complaining about the engineering changes sound like the ret pallies after Blizz nerfed them after 3.0. The tears are entertaining!
    I think you missed my point there.
    We shouldn't have HUGE risks for a speed boost.
    Especially one with such a long cooldown.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildeRoland View Post
    Engineering is to be a fun proffession, not one that boosts your pve or pvp performance greatly.
    Fun != dead profession. Engineering was fine in wrath. We didn't get the stats of other professions, we just got a little extra functionality.... so, now we get neither the stats, nor the functionality? That's a good thing?

The idea of backfiring isn't the problem, but it's the fact that, the way the backfires occur makes the tinkers useless in a raiding environment. That's not fun.

Deleted
    It's goblin engineering man, and it has a really low chance to happen so to me is fine