Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Asera View Post
    We're talking a GTX580, which alone can run WoW far far far past the vsync cap solo.
    I fixed my quote to avoid confusion. :P
    And Wow isn't the only game in the world. Nor would I recommend buying two GTX580s with todays pricing. 570s, sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Zanez View Post
    yeah im in the UK, ive been looking on novatech.com but all the specs mean absolutely nothing to me, and i cannot find anything like the one you linked me
    Try scan.co.uk, their prices are generally very good and the range they maintain in stock is pretty extensive. What you fail to find at Scan you will most likely find at eclipse-computers.com.

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    And Wow isn't the only game in the world. Nor would I recommend buying two GTX580s with todays pricing. 570s, sure.
    True. I personally would have a hard time recommending any card over $300. But I'm a stickler for performance efficiency rather than performance period.
    red panda red panda red panda!

Considering WoW doesn't support SLi, nor does it scale well with any makeshift profile, I highly doubt you got a 35 fps increase by adding a second GTX580 with a 6 year old graphics engine.

Of course the 6970 would be lackluster, the card isn't meant to compete with the 580. It's supposed to compete with the 570, and you pitted 2 580's against one 6970 and instantly labeled it as lackluster? Don't post garbage like this unless you know how to benchmark properly and not spread misinformation and BS to people asking legitimate questions.

Edit: Show me this 'time and time again' where nvidia cards beat ATi cards in the same performance bracket in WoW consistently enough to make a difference regarding price differences and power efficiency.
    WoW most certainly does support SLI, it has a profile starting with Cataclysm, and we proved it here on MMO. So try again. It does not support Crossfire.

I am not spreading any misinformation, I think it's you who are trying to spread the misinformation, and trying to be some form of AMD GPU fan boy.

I own both, and can speak from those experiences.

I think you also need to visit more computer oriented forums with more valid information than just mmo

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Naroul View Post
    WoW most certainly does support SLI, it has a profile starting with Cataclysm, and we proved it here on MMO. So try again. It does not support Crossfire.

I am not spreading any misinformation, I think it's you who are trying to spread the misinformation, and trying to be some form of AMD GPU fan boy.

I own both, and can speak from those experiences.

I think you also need to visit more computer oriented forums with more valid information than just mmo
    I'm sorry if noticing pitting a weaker card against two stronger cards is considered spreading misinformation.

I'm sorry if noticing pitting a weaker card against two stronger cards is considered spreading misinformation.
    It was pitting 1 AMD 6970 vs 1 GTX 580.

I now currently have SLI 580's. The 6970 was most definitely built to compete with the GTX 580, the AMD 6990 is a dual gpu card.

Deleted
    It was pitting 1 AMD 6970 vs 1 GTX 580.

I now currently have SLI 580's. The 6970 was most definitely built to compete with the GTX 580, the AMD 6990 is a dual gpu card.
    Well the price in the UK of AMD's 6970 seem to suggest otherwise, since it's pricing seems to match/compete with Nvidia's 570 GTX. Their performance is also similar but now this thread is becoming a little offtopic.

@Zanez, your £600 budget will certainly be tight for what the first responder suggested, and since I may assume you have little knowledge about overclocking and such, buying components such as Corsair's H70 is a waste in my honest opinion.

I would recommend an alternative, but i'm going to have some lunch now...

Deleted
    With £600 budget here in the UK any i5 build is out of the question it will blow his budget out of the water.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should wait until the 9th of january and take a look at the new Sandy bridge technology. The i5 2500 should fit your budget, maybe a bit overkill tho.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    With £600 budget here in the UK any i5 build is out of the question it will blow his budget out of the water.
    Not to mention the Corsair 600T case which the first responder posted. In short the first poster should be ignored.

Still Zanez, if you are willing to stretch your budget a little further...

Deleted
    CPU- http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=39930 = £115
    Motherboard- http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=40261 = £69
    Ram- http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=42422 = £48
    PSU- http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=33610 = £50
    GPU - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=38286 = £105
    Case - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=38515 = £30
    HDD - http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Compo...roductId=37759 = £30

Total = £450

I am here in the UK so know my way about sites and with the single delivery charge this was cheapest set- up i could find to play wow @above high settings. You could add an aftermarket cooler if you are going to overclock but on its on out the box it will be enough. If you want also you could go for a better graphics card like AMD 6850 or Nvidia GTX460 but the one i linked is more than enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Romandix View Post
    He should most easily get most of what I posted under his budget.

15+ Year Old Account
    The 6970 was most definitely built to compete with the GTX 580
    No, it wasn't.

Deleted
    Romandix's setup is very good, but here is an alternative, which is more powerful and within budget, provided you are willing to install your old IDE DVD drive (or ask someone to lend you £15 to buy a new one)

CPU: Intel i5-760 £157.95
    Motherboard: MSI P55-CD53 P55 Socket 1156 £ 85.04
    GPU: Sapphire HD 6870 1GB £174.99
    HDD: Seagate ST3500418AS 500GB £ 30.95
    PSU: Corsair 650W TX £ 64.77
    RAM:Kingston 4GB DDR3 1600MHz HyperX 1.65V CL9 £ 49.99
    Case:Coolermaster Elite 430 £ 36.99

Total: £600.68

Now I have no idea what the size of your monitor is, but if you're playing at resolution of 1920x1200(24" monitor) or lower then this setup will provide excellent gaming performance.

Most of those components listed are pretty stable, however if I were to omit any component (given that i've already omitted the DVD drive) then it would probably be the case, since the ANTEC 300 case costs about £10 more.

The supplier in this case is Ebuyer, but similar prices could be found from Overclockers, Scan or aria.
    Last edited by mmoc7f933b7749; 2010-12-26 at 02:07 PM.

No, it wasn't.
    Top of the line vs top of the line. It's not Nvidias fault AMD didn't bring a big enough gun to the fight.

Deleted
    OP - http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...d=1444&subcat=

This is what I just bought, Gives me solid FPS near enough everywhere in WoW (60 fps constantly) drops to 40 fps in stormwind but holds 50-60 fps with ease in 25 man's

I got the Asus 460 GTX OC'd edition also and upgraded from the h50 to the h70, CPU temps never go above 50.

Also overclockers are one of the best retailers out there for the UK anyway and I would recommend them to anyone hands down

Edit - Also running WoW @ 1920 x 1080 via HDMI, all settings to ultra with 8x multisampling and 16xAA
    Last edited by mmoc1175caa2c9; 2010-12-26 at 04:55 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Top of the line vs top of the line. It's not Nvidias fault AMD didn't bring a big enough gun to the fight.
    .......................................................................................... ...............

First of all, the 6970 isn't the top of the line Radeon. the 5970 is. Yes it is a dual GPU board, but the industry tends to focus on card versus card, not gpu count vs gpu count.

Second, the HD 6970 isn't a 500 dollar card. The 6990 will be a 500 dollar card, THAT is what will compete with the GTX580.

Third, the GTX570 is around the same price as the 6970. They offer the same performance on average, with one card passing the other by a small amount depending on the title or application. This is what's called a price bracket.

.......................................................................................... ...............

First of all, the 6970 isn't the top of the line Radeon. the 5970 is. Yes it is a dual GPU board, but the industry tends to focus on card versus card, not gpu count vs gpu count.

Second, the HD 6970 isn't a 500 dollar card. The 6990 will be a 500 dollar card, THAT is what will compete with the GTX580.

Third, the GTX570 is around the same price as the 6970. They offer the same performance on average, with one card passing the other by a small amount depending on the title or application. This is what's called a price bracket.
    I don't see this magic 6990 yet. So at this point in time, all AMD has to bring to the table is the 6970, or the 5970, neither of which beat the 580.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't see this magic 6990 yet. So at this point in time, all AMD has to bring to the table is the 6970, or the 5970, neither of which beat the 580.
    And there goes the point, sailing over your head.

Edit: Also,

Call me blind, but is that a HD 5970 ahead of a single GTX580?
    Last edited by Asera; 2010-12-26 at 05:16 PM.

And there goes the point, sailing over your head.

Edit: Also,

Call me blind, but is that a HD 5970 ahead of a single GTX580?
    since you like to throw benchmarks out, I'm throwing yours out too